Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 01-12-2018, 7:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default A Tale Of Two Shotguns

The content in this section is pretty light, so I thought I'd post up the saga of the two shotguns shown below.

Shotgun #1 is a Remington 870 Express Magnum. I bought it new 15-16 years ago and it has not seen a lot of use. Apparently this one predates the recent rusting and poor chamber finishing some have encountered with Express 870's. I have only put 200-250 shells through it in all those years but it always worked perfectly.

I have "experimented" with it over the years by junking the cheap plastic Remington furniture and going to a pistol grip. That only lasted until the first time I shot it with the pistol grip. Cool looking but painful to shoot and useless as a fighting gun.

I get to shoot 870's semi-occasionally at work and I liked the Knoxx recoil reducing stock so the Express ultimately ended up with that. I didn't care for the Knoxx fore grip so I added a Hogue fore grip. Eventually I also added a Mesa Tactical side saddle.

I always HATED the Remington J-Lock on my Express. After reading a story recently where a shooter's J-Lock 870 rotated over to lock due to recoil and seized up the gun, that was it. That thing had to go.

I bought a Vang big button safety and studied some videos since I am a hack at gunsmithing stuff. I got the trigger group out without too much difficulty and disassembled the J lock. Only then did I realize that the J-lock cannot be swapped out with an aftermarket safety without additional parts: a detent ball and different spring.

I made an extravagant decision and decided to swap out the entire plastic trigger assembly with an 870 Police version. For $110 or so it seemed like a nice upgrade.I got the 870P trigger group installed with a bit of effort as it was quite snug. I also dropped a Vang metal follower into it along with a Wolf extra power mag spring.

A renewed interest in shotgunnery resulted in the acquisition of a new wood furnitured 870 Police as well. The 870P is mostly all stock except for a few "upgrades"

Elzetta mount and Surefire light. (Migrated from the Express)
Vang metal follower and Wolf spring
Vang big button safety (easy install on the 870P)
Mesa Tactical Side Saddle

Since these are both to be dedicated HD firearms, I needed to test them both with the fixes / upgrades and make sure they run flawlessly. A quick trip to the range with a bunch of birdshot and buckshot resulted in 100% function with both. I did not even have any targets so I just busted grounded clays that I set out at various distances. I could not measure spreads or get scientific, but both guns ran perfectly. I shot a bunch of Fiocchi low recoil buck and it shot softer than regular bird shot / game loads (if that is possible..)

Anyway, it was a good shotgun day. Both pieces have been cleaned, oiled, loaded, and placed in their designated locations. Here are a few pics of the shotguns. I realize this thread is pitifully lacking in scientific data or tangible results beyond my homespun anecdotes, but it's all I got.

Old 01-12-2018, 7:19 PM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

tl;dr
Old 01-12-2018, 7:29 PM

But seriously, BR...youíve got to go Armslist custom Benellli M4 or go home

Old 01-12-2018, 8:48 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I don't have the budget (or the interest) in the Benelli, but I will be adding a 590A1 to the fold soon..
Old 01-12-2018, 9:29 PM

Just playing, BR. That M4 looks like those over-accessorized AR’s that we’re all the rage a few years ago. Imagine carrying that thing around on a perimeter, haha!!

I’ve got a few different shotguns platforms, but there’s nothing like the 870. Works so well. Dead-simple to work on, and can be customized to infinity.

Nice job on both!!
Old 01-13-2018, 6:30 AM

From the pictures, it looks like the wood stocked version has a solid rubber recoil pad. If that is the case, I would recommend putting on a remington supercell recoil pad. It will make it even more enjoyable to shoot.
Old 01-13-2018, 4:50 PM

Hi, Was actually looking initially here on Calguns for info on taking my ARs to featureless... But then saw there was a shotgun section, and since your thread was about HD, thought I'd ask if you guys were up/down/neutral on KSGs?

I sold my short barreled Savage RXL Series E pump that I'd owned for 30 years to a friend - it was my HD only weapon, and now I've gone KSG and have had a bit of fun with it -- especially with the Aguila mini-shells

Wondering if the Libs in control of this state will outlaw one or both soon, or start writing laws to de-nut them like the ARs are going...

Sorry if this is a thread Hi-jack, I do have a couple other SGs for shooting clays with friends. But mine is also a tale of two guns...

Scott
Old 01-14-2018, 7:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Not a thread jack at all. Any comments are welcome. I have no opinion regarding Keltec shotguns unfortunately.
Old 01-14-2018, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

I own or have owned an 870 (express and express supermag), 500 combo and 590.

Never had any issues with the mossbergs but I never put more than a couple of boxes through them.

Used an 870 supermag one hunting season and have been using an 870 express this year.

I’ve had rust issues with both 870’s and extraction issues with my 870 express. I’ve polished the barrel, replaced the extractor and cerakoted the shotgun. It runs well now with duck loads. I haven’t heard about the trigger issue.

I also picked up a H&R Pardner pump but haven’t put any rounds through it. For $200, I’m impressed with the 870 clone.

For someone starting out with shotguns, I’d recommmend the Mossberg. Although I like the position of the safety, I’m used to safeties by the trigger. I’m sure with some time, I could get proficient with the mossberg.

Both shotguns will get the job done. I recommend shooting clays with a new shotgun (even a 18.5” barrel). It will help you get to know your shotgun (shouldering it, safety, loading, swinging it, etc). You’ll also discover any problems, if there are any. It’s good to put a couple of boxes of your home defense ammo down range too so you know what it feels like and make sure it cycles.
Old 01-14-2018, 5:10 PM

One of the most salient points here is: knowing what your specific shotgun does, or does not do (sorry, I'm still sticking with Home Defense here). Seeing the pattern at different distances, how on target you are with however, or whatever aiming device you use...

Is pretty good to know. As well as how far and what else might be impacted by your shot.

I apologize for jumping in here, but a far ways back I bought that Savage because someone came banging on our door one night, and I fumbled with my Grandpa's (given to me) shotgun, and where the heck are the shells and how the heck do I load this thing. It scared the chit out of me and my former wife.

So roll forward 30 years and I got all hot and bothered when I saw a DP-12 and then more on Youtube. Unfortunately I (we) live in Kalifornia and I was a week short of the DOJ outlawing them. The KSGs were out, but unknown/unobtainable back then.

I was recently working on an AR project and thought I'd better mail order my ammo for it before the end-of-the-year ban kicked in, and ran across a good price on a KSG, and went and bought it...

A couple early-on observations: hand it to your friend and he/she will most likely short cycle it. I think that is an all Bull Pup problem...

Once you get past that, and your friends teasing you about having a "turkey gun", this thing is a lot of fun... But I don't think of it as more than a very, very serious HD weapon, or something to have fun when plinking with my friends... I did outfit mine with a laser + light and foregrip , plus a recoil pad and a laser sight.

I personally have loaded and shot 25 Aguila mini's without reload/misfeed/misfire, so if you are worried about zombies or a mob home invasion (or just want to be ready in case) - something like this gun is over-the-top for HD. Not promoting just the KSG, it is what fell into my price range and since I've been out of the game for a bit, was a pleasant surprise - particularly that I could buy it in CA....

Last edited by coolccw; 01-14-2018 at 5:25 PM..
Old 01-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Just playing, BR. That M4 looks like those over-accessorized ARís that weíre all the rage a few years ago. Imagine carrying that thing around on a perimeter, haha!!

Iíve got a few different shotguns platforms, but thereís nothing like the 870. Works so well. Dead-simple to work on, and can be customized to infinity.

Nice job on both!!
Of course my friend. Some of these guns posted online make one wonder whether they have ever been carried farther than from the car to the shooting bench. Considering my atrocious mechanical skills, I will second your comment regarding ease of maintenance. If I was able to perform these tasks, anyone can do it.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolccw View Post
I apologize for jumping in here, but a far ways back I bought that Savage because someone came banging on our door one night, and I fumbled with my Grandpa's (given to me) shotgun, and where the heck are the shells and how the heck do I load this thing. It scared the chit out of me and my former wife.
As much as i dislike the term "teachable moment" that is definitely one of them. Thanks for sharing that. Even people with a lot of training and experience get butterfingers in a crisis when they get tunnel vision and their fine motor skills go all wonky.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
From the pictures, it looks like the wood stocked version has a solid rubber recoil pad. If that is the case, I would recommend putting on a remington supercell recoil pad. It will make it even more enjoyable to shoot.
I will do exactly that, thank you. It is a fine shotgun that will get lots of range time. My shoulder will thank me later!
Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I will do exactly that, thank you. It is a fine shotgun that will get lots of range time. My shoulder will thank me later!
They're running about $19 on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-1...s/263038524805

Keep in mind that there are two models/part numbers, one for synthetic stocks and one for wood stocks.
Old 01-15-2018, 1:27 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Ordered the supercell, thanks JF. Easy and cheap upgrade, but considering the 870 Police as their top of the line pump shotgun, I would have rather just paid a bit more to have it from the factory.
Old 01-15-2018, 2:05 PM

Those are very nice and this is one of the reasons why I am looking for an old LE trade in 870. Just a nice old classic no frills pump shotgun.