Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-05-2018, 7:58 PM

Default Shipping registered AW to FFL for repairs

Hi,

I am trying to figure out all the legal stuff regarding repairing registered AW's, specifically when dealing with an out-of-state FFL like the manufacturer.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I tried searching for a while and couldn't find anything.

According to the CA DOJ FAQ it says that we can only ship to FFL's with an Assault Weapon license, but it doesn't say much else. Do I have this right?

Can the FFL then mail it back to me at my personal address after the repair is done?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2018, 8:41 PM

This may not be the best answer but in their new regs, the Doj has stated that an AR pattern rifle that has been seperated is not an assault weapon, same if some critical part is missing.

Is this an AR pattern rifile? Can you just send the lower or upper for repair?
Old 04-05-2018, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
This may not be the best answer but in their new regs, the Doj has stated that an AR pattern rifle that has been seperated is not an assault weapon, same if some critical part is missing.

Is this an AR pattern rifile? Can you just send the lower or upper for repair?
interesting. good to know. even if you were sending in the AR lower, which has the serial number that has been registered?

anyway, to answer your question, this would be a Vector, and the part that would need to be repaired would be the lower, which in this case is the serialized part.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky c View Post
This may not be the best answer but in their new regs, the Doj has stated that an AR pattern rifle that has been seperated is not an assault weapon
That works on features-based non-registered AW's, but does not apply to NAMED or registered AW's.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyclopx View Post
Hi,

I am trying to figure out all the legal stuff regarding repairing registered AW's, specifically when dealing with an out-of-state FFL like the manufacturer.

Sorry if this has been discussed. I tried searching for a while and couldn't find anything.

According to the CA DOJ FAQ it says that we can only ship to FFL's with an Assault Weapon license, but it doesn't say much else. Do I have this right?

Can the FFL then mail it back to me at my personal address after the repair is done?

Thanks!

If I were you, I wouldn’t do anything but take it to a local FFL with AW license and have them assess whether it needs to be sent to the manufacturer and handle doing that if necessary, and would not send it in if you don’t really have to.

Once a RAW, that receiver is always an assault weapon even when stripped bare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old 04-06-2018, 11:36 AM

By subject, this is more of a "how does CA law affect me?" kinda question. And I asked a very similar question about four years ago in that sub-forum. Got the answer:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=932647

But the gist is, you have to either take it to an FFL with an AW license and pay them to ship it for you. Or you can drive across the state line and just ship it normally from NV or AZ.

AW dealers are more rare than you might think. Not every "black rifle" shop has that licence. And it's not as cheap as taking it to a UPS store, unfortunately. For just a registered lower receiver I was getting quotes of around $100 or more, 2nd-day to Ohio.
Old 04-11-2018, 2:11 PM

okay, thanks guys. helped explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
AW dealers are more rare than you might think. Not every "black rifle" shop has that licence. And it's not as cheap as taking it to a UPS store, unfortunately. For just a registered lower receiver I was getting quotes of around $100 or more, 2nd-day to Ohio.
Ki6vsm, do you happen to know who you contacted for shipping? I can't find anyone who has this license than can ship it for me. appreciate it!
Old 04-11-2018, 2:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does not need to go second day unless handgun. Can go usps priority. Does the whole firearm need to go or just lower.?
Old 04-11-2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Does not need to go second day unless handgun. Can go usps priority. Does the whole firearm need to go or just lower.?
for discussion's sake, i'd like to hear answers for both situations
Old 04-11-2018, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Does anyone know if there is an updated/current list of FFLs (and smiths) that possess the required AW or BMG permit *and* will actually work with non-LE/MIL?
#2A4CA -- it has begun! https://www.2aforca.org/
Old 04-11-2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
okay, thanks guys. helped explain it.

Ki6vsm, do you happen to know who you contacted for shipping? I can't find anyone who has this license than can ship it for me. appreciate it!
One shop was American Shooting Center. They said they had an AW permit (I guess technically it's a permit, not a license). I asked a guy in another shop also. He said they had a permit. Quoted me over $100. But I've learned not to believe everything those guys say. He could have been BSing me completely. Sometimes an answer can come back as very affirmative when the real answer is "I have no idea but give us your money."

BTW, I even asked the guys at Parallax Tactical down here. I thought for sure they'd have a permit, since they are so into black rifles of all kinds. Even machine their own parts, hand guards etc, right there in back of their shop. But nope.

But all these shops are way the heck out of your way anyway. Best thing you can do is just call the shops in your area. Ask them if they have an AW permit. And when "yes", then have a more in-depth chat about what you need sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
It will probably have to go by whatever carrier and priority the FFL wants to use. But if you have a choice, the less time "en route" the better, I say. Depends on how far away the destination is too. If it's on the East Coast, I wouldn't want my registered (and thus kinda irreplaceable) lower receive taking a week to get there. But if it's only going 300 miles, even "3-day Select" shipping is kind of a waste.

When I was looking into shipping mine, it was just the stripped lower receiver itself. No other parts had to go along. So it was as cheap as it could be. Lesson here is, don't ship anything you don't need worked on. It'll be cheaper in some way.

In the end, I never had it shipped and eventually just fixed the problem myself.

Last edited by Ki6vsm; 04-11-2018 at 3:05 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
One shop was American Shooting Center. They said they had an AW permit (I guess technically it's a permit, not a license). I asked a guy in another shop also. He said they had a permit. Quoted me over $100. But I've learned not to believe everything those guys say. He could have been BSing me completely. Sometimes an answer can come back as very affirmative when the real answer is "I have no idea but give us your money."

BTW, I even asked the guys at Parallax Tactical down here. I thought for sure they'd have a permit, since they are so into black rifles of all kinds. Even machine their own parts, hand guards etc, right there in back of their shop. But nope.

But all these shops are way the heck out of your way anyway. Best thing you can do is just call the shops in your area. Ask them if they have an AW permit. And when "yes", then have a more in-depth chat about what you need sent.
yeah... I know Parallax--thought they would too.

Unfortunately I did call around. All morning. No one has one except for Lc Action Police Supply--might be the only one in all of Northen California. Unfortunately, they only deal with LEO and told me no.

I actually go down to SoCal often, so it's not the hugest deal to use a shop there, if only I knew of one.

Last edited by Xyclopx; 04-11-2018 at 3:19 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
yeah... I know Parralax--thought they would too.

Unfortunately I did call around. All morning. No one has one except for Lc Action Police Supply--might be the only one in all of Northen California. Unfortunately, they only deal with LEO and told me no.

I actually go down to SoCal often, so it's not the hugest deal to use a shop there, if only I knew of one.
You could drive over to Reno and just mail it. That would get it there. But then you would have to figure out the return shipping. Man, what a stupid situation we're all in.

If you don't mind my asking, what is it you need done? If it a repair that any competent gunsmith can you, you can take it to them. BUT, unless they also have the AW permit, you will not be able to leave it with them. You need to sit there while they do the repairs. This is your only other option.
Old 04-11-2018, 3:26 PM

Oh, and just in case it helps, that other shop that said they might be able to help me is Discount Gun Mart, here in San Diego. Can't hurt to call them.
Old 04-11-2018, 3:42 PM

I don't know if they still have one, but Evans Gun World in Orange, Ca used to.
Old 04-12-2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what is it you need done? If it a repair that any competent gunsmith can you, you can take it to them. BUT, unless they also have the AW permit, you will not be able to leave it with them. You need to sit there while they do the repairs. This is your only other option.
actually.... i'm just trying to figure out how big of a pain in the *** owning a registered AW would be! I didn't register any yet, and i'm trying to figure out which ones to register given the difficulty of maintaining them.

and unfortunately it's starting to sound like it would be very troublesome. I guess guns like AR's are easy enough to repair at home, except that is you have a problem with the lower frame itself. ak's I guess would be somewhat doable too. but guns like my kriss vector have parts that only the factory can fix, so i'm starting to think it might be a better idea to just go featureless with the vector. and so on...

yes, it is indeed a "stupid situation we all are in."

thanks for all the listings guys! keep them coming! i'm sure this would help out many people when they realize they gotta fix or ship the guns they registered.
Old 04-12-2018, 1:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
actually.... i'm just trying to figure out how big of a pain in the *** owning a registered AW would be! I didn't register any yet, and i'm trying to figure out which ones to register given the difficulty of maintaining them.

and unfortunately it's starting to sound like it would be very troublesome. I guess guns like AR's are easy enough to repair at home, except that is you have a problem with the lower frame itself. ak's I guess would be somewhat doable too. but guns like my kriss vector have parts that only the factory can fix, so i'm starting to think it might be a better idea to just go featureless with the vector. and so on...
How many times have you needed to send a gun in for service in the past?
For scaling, roughly how many guns do you own and for how many years have you owned guns?
Old 04-12-2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
How many times have you needed to send a gun in for service in the past?
For scaling, roughly how many guns do you own and for how many years have you owned guns?
well, without giving out those numbers, to give you an idea, I haven't been doing this for long, but I found that 1 in 4-5 guns had verified issues by the factory after I've sent them in. this includes all kinds of guns including ar's, hunting-style rifles, pistols, etc.

and besides just being straight up broken, I've also had to send some in (or will in the future) for work to be done by the manufacturer as they were better suited for the job, for various reasons.

does that answer your question?

put it this way.... my Vector right now has to go to the factory. if my problem had happened after I register it, well, I dunno if I can realistically even get it fixed at all.

but............. I also think that people with AW's (like from earlier years of registrations) just don't shoot them much given they probably have more easily accessible guns as well. so there's that too, which I guess would lessen the chance of something breaking

Last edited by Xyclopx; 04-12-2018 at 1:27 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 1:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
well, without giving out those numbers, to give you an idea, I haven't been doing this for long, but I found that 1 in 4-5 guns had verified issues by the factory after I've sent them in. this includes all kinds of guns including ar's, hunting-style rifles, pistols, etc.

and besides just being straight up broken, I've also had to send some in (or will in the future) for work to be done by the manufacturer as they were better suited for the job, for various reasons.

does that answer your question?
You must be buying some crappy guns to get to a 1:5 ratio.
My gun collection just barely breaks into 3 digits and I have been collecting them for about 25 years.
I have sent exactly 2 guns back to the factory/manufacturer for service in all of that time.
Old 04-12-2018, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
You must be buying some crappy guns to get to a 1:5 ratio.
My gun collection just barely breaks into 3 digits and I have been collecting them for about 25 years.
I have sent exactly 2 guns back to the factory/manufacturer for service in all of that time.
all guns were purchased brand new within 1 year of each other:

1. a cz 455 ultra lux where the wooden stock cracked (before shooting)
2. chrome desert eagle where there were cuts in the metal and missing areas of chrome, also shot 1ft high and 1/2ft to the right at 15yd. hammer was crooked too. (they ended up sending me a completely different gun. didn't even pay for my 2nd FFL fee.)
3. a f1 firearms lower that was out of spec mating with its "matched" upper
4. kriss vector where the 2nd to last round always failed to feed, and also shoots inaccurately

etc...

these aren't "crappy" guns to me. I dunno, maybe they are to you though. it's cool, all good.

yes, you have a ton more guns than me, and multitudes more years behind them. I would only assume that i'm just an edge case. thanks for letting me know.

Last edited by Xyclopx; 04-12-2018 at 2:20 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

OP, there's a shop down in San Diego Co. that had a permit when they were in Solana Beach. I think they're in Poway now, but I'm guessing they still have their permit.

Shop is Direct Action Solutions. If you are going to be anywhere near that far south soon, maybe give them a call?