Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I had to look that one up, hahah. Nice blade shape. Some of the recent stuff looks like it is for fighting dragon's or Orks, hahah. That looks nice. Their mulit-color G10 is really nice. My Forsaken is the green micarta.

Yea that dagger they had just a bit ago was pretty cool looking but I honestly see no practical purpose for it what so ever other than for just collection purposes. Granted my Silent Knight is pretty exotic but dam that thing was just to sexy I couldn’t pass it up and it was my first Busse purchase.

I am waiting for some SYKCO releases.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Some nice ones. I didn't like the Lifter though. Not a fan of that whole series from Kershaw. QC is sporadic though. You might have got a good one.

Those CRKT's remind me of the Colt Cobra's (United) I carried forever.
The 1302 Lifter only cost $19.95 so no big deal if QC isn't great on it.

Just wanted another tanto blade and the blackwash finish was similar to a Kershaw 1300 clip point that I recently purchased at the Reno Gun Show, which I later discovered was part of a 2 knife package that I could have purchased for the same price but I didn't like the 2nd knife in the package anyway. Much prefer the pairing of the 1300 w/the 1302 instead. The QC on the 1300 BTW is just fine. Will have to wait and see on the 1302.

As for the CKRT, I really like it It's BIG w/a 3.875" blade but that's the main reason that I like it in the 1st place. It's quite intimidating when the blade is deployed and, despite its size, it still fits well in the front pocket of the cargo pants.

However, the knife I like to carry most is the Ken Onion designed Kershaw 1840 CKT shallot (of which I have 3). Thin, light and a very elegant and ergonomic design w/a 3.5" blade, which is much nicer IMO than the Leek 1660 series that Ken Onion also designed:

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-09-2018 at 4:20 PM..
Old 09-09-2018, 3:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The 1302 Lifter only cost $19.95 so no big deal if QC isn't great on it.

Just wanted another tanto blade and the blackwash finish was similar to a Kershaw 1300 clip point that I recently purchased at the Reno Gun Show, which I later discovered was part of a 2 knife package that I could have purchased for the same price but I didn't like the 2nd knife in the package anyway. Much prefer the pairing of the 1300 w/the 1302 instead. The QC on the 1300 BTW is just fine. Will have to wait and see on the 1302.
I can’t recall exactly what it was if there was a big defect, lockup or action, weight, tip-down carry limitation or a combination. I have a lot of cheap knives like Nuras, Thermites, Cryo’s... seldom send one back but that one I sent back. I think I got another Thermite.
Old 09-09-2018, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The QC on the 1300 BTW is just fine.
I like some of those 1300's great blade shapes. I'd pickup a WM if they were around. QC is not really displayed by one knife... it is displayed by two or more that are each completely different (bad QC) or by three, four, five that are exactly the same (good QC) IMHO. Example would be all my Blurs are the same (Good QC especially since a few were $40 models and some were $90, $70 models - various steels). I do hope Kershaw stops making clips that can only mount TIP down though. I'll be looking for one that has Thermite style 3D G10 scale in gray with black wash - looks great.

https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1300W.../dp/B06X9F6W4L

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kershaw-***...kAAOSwdzVXwkrj

Last edited by crufflers; 09-09-2018 at 8:13 AM..
Old 09-09-2018, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a Boker plus urban trapper a few days ago.If you guys have a chance to pick one up and look at it, I think you'll you'll be suprised how nice it is. Dang it, I can never get pix to work using my tablet.

[IMG]file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/boker-urban-trapper-open1-600x401.jpg[/IMG]

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 09-13-2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
I like some of those 1300's great blade shapes. I'd pickup a WM if they were around. QC is not really displayed by one knife... it is displayed by two or more that are each completely different (bad QC) or by three, four, five that are exactly the same (good QC) IMHO.
Just received the 4 knives mentioned previously.

The QC on the Kershaw 1302BW is fine (just as good as the Kershaw 1300BW) and it does match the 1300BW better in size and appearance. The recurved tanto design of the blade is very attractive. The blade is also very sharp and the flipper action is very quick and smooth.

The Cold Steel push dagger is a little smaller than I expected and is flat on one side, which makes sense since it is designed to be worn around the neck, and is fine for the purpose it is intended to be used.

Also really like the Kershaw Al-Mar AM-4 spear point blade. A very elegant design that looks/feels very good in the hand. Will make a great paring/fruit knife apart from its other obvious uses.

The only knife I don't really like is the S&W SWMO10G Military/Police knife which is designed for vehicle rescue. It looks and feels cheaply made, while the 1302BW, which cost the same does not. Just added it to the order to get free shipping (which saveed about $10). Won't be carrying it around anyway. Have already put in one of my cars for use "in case" of an emergency. So, I won't be looking at or handling it much.
Old 09-13-2018, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah I liked the Wm because it is not a frame lock and has scales on both sides... like a link or 0909, etc... I have been liking totally enclosed locks the most lately. I have a 0452CF on me right now, but it also has a lot larger clip than stock to shield the frame lock more from my grip. Yeah a cheapo in the pen cup at work and in vehicles is good. I have a Tenacious in the car and had a Kershaw spanto...Thermite at work but dunno where it went to now. Not real fond of either but the cut. I have a folder in a lot of drawers at home.... CetofanteIII is in the bathroom, etc... kind of a waste of that great knife. You don't always have a blade on you especially when you forget to pocket one. Last cheap knife I wanted was a Chinese brand that's kind of new... TUYAKNIFE - bearings and D2... sounds great for $50. There are a few cheap Kershaws I like, but more that I found are sub par lately. Thermites are pretty mediocre. RJ1 and RJII are pretty good. It is hard to try all the Kershaws since they release a thousand or so imports each season. I stay away from S&W, but I have had a few. The ones I have had are heavy as a brick.

Last edited by crufflers; 09-13-2018 at 3:41 PM..
Old 09-15-2018, 11:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Idaho. Land of the FREE!!! Home of the BRAVE! Constitutional Carry Is Awesome! Still going......

Anybody have any insight on Southern Grind Knives?? I'd love to see some personal examples and any info/insight.

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 09-15-2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
My Forsaken is the green micarta.
Wow, I sure misread that. I was thinking you really needed to see a urologist.