Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 03-18-2009, 3:33 PM

Default AAR Aim Fast Hit Fast March 14-15 Sac Valley Shooting Center

I had the pleasure of hosting Todd L. Green's Aim Fast Hit Fast course. I invited Todd to come to CA after learning about his Aim Fast Hit Fast course last year. After a few months of working out details I got the green light to set up the class at Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.

TD1 started off with an introduction, briefing and a little getting to know each other. After that we were given several shooting tasks. I have taken multiple courses with 3 other instructors and Todd is the only person that I know that actually uses the first hour of TD1 to evaluate all your skills AND he writes it down on his trusty clipboard. We were then given instruction on how to shoot the FAST drill. After the morning test, he taught us as a group accordingly.

We were broken up into two squads for various drills. These drills involved all aspects of shooting. He broke them down into all of the various fundamentals and pushed us to perform at our best. This usually the time in most OTHER classes that that an instructor spends MOST Or ALL of the class working on the student with the least amount of skill sets.

This was never the case with Todd. That man has an eye like an eagle. We had shooters with Glocks, 1911s and Sig pistols. During all of the drills, Todd walked up and down the line looking for shooter induced errors, reloading issues, sight aligment, posture, grip and so forth. This was HANDS ON training.

(Todd helping G34 Shooter with his reloads)

One of my biggest pet peeves are students who are not ready to take a class and instructors spending too much time with a student who should not have taken the class in the first place. <----this comment is in no way reflective of G34s skills.

Todd spent an equal amount of time with all of us, and gave us genuine feedback.

As we understood the fundamentals of each of the drills, we were asked to perform these drills faster, shoot them in various bursts and we were expected to understand what was a good and what was an acceptable hit.

The drills got more intense as TD1 progressed. Near the end of the day my speed started to slow down a bit. Its been a while since I've shot any class with such a demanding round count.

This is were I thought Todd shines as an instructor. He pulled me aside and had me stop shooting. Then he shot two bursts. One was a slow 3 shot burst and the second was a "chain gun" burst. He asked if I heard the difference between the two. I said the second one was faster. He then proceeded to tell me that I was only shooting fast enough to be safe and comfortable. I picked up the pace.

The day ended with most of us making better hits and shaving off quite a bit of time from our FAST drill. It had been almost three months since I had shot a live round prior to TD1. The day was humbling and an eye opener to all of the various training exercises that you need to practice in order to Aim Fast and Hit Fast.

At the end of Day 1 Todd had completely exceeded my expectations, my speed shooting was much better and I had new skills to practice.

My round count for Day 1 was approximately 800 rounds. Loading Glock magazines is a PITA unless you have a speedloader (Highly recommended)

A few of us showed up early to paint targets and I did quick clean up on my Glock 17. It did not miss one beat all day long.

Day 2 started off with a briefing on the skills that each of us needed to improve. We then moved to Dot Torture (Scored a 48/50), the FAST test, reloading, SHO and WHO drills, moving drills, shooting from cover and a little run and gun.

The squads buddied up during moving drills as we moved up and down the line shooting various burst fire drills on Todd's whistle. It was a really good way to practice sight tracking as the drills the rest of the day became more dynamic.

After a grueling day of Dot Torture and shooting on the move Todd ended the day with a few fun exercises. He put together a Running Dog drill for us. Since most of us have been shooting at targets standing still all day it was nice to shoot at something moving. Everyone did exceptionally well on this task and we ended up with a few extra H20 bottles that we shot at 40 yards WHO. Todd being the perfectionist that he did made each person call their shot

We then moved onto a Team Drill and ended the class shooting the FAST Test.
My total round count for the class was 1079.

Conclusion: This class is highly recommend for anyone looking to improve their ability to shoot faster with accuracy. You will leave with a new set of tools in your box and with a whole new set of skills to practice.

Thanks Todd for putting on a Great Class. We hope to see you again very soon!
Old 03-18-2009, 3:33 PM

Old 03-18-2009, 3:53 PM

Old 03-18-2009, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Excellent job on your write up 45.
Any Instructor would be proud to have had someone like you attend his course.
Old 03-20-2009, 7:48 AM

We all had a good time and everyone ended up showing significant improvement at the end of the class Hopefully we'll have another class in Oct!
Old 03-22-2009, 3:00 PM

What was the fastest FAST drill time?

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Curated Industry News
Gun Store Gunbroker, Armslist, gun.deals, Weapon Depot
Social Media Aggregator
Old 03-22-2009, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G34Shooter View Post
One Student shot a 6.8 something and received an Advance rating, I unfortunately had a duty holster problem, slide didn't lock back and slow reloads so my best time and the only clean run I had was 8.45 with an Intermediate rating... That's all I deserve until I get my reloads down
It's harder than it looks
Sounds good to me!

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Curated Industry News
Gun Store Gunbroker, Armslist, gun.deals, Weapon Depot
Social Media Aggregator
Old 03-22-2009, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G34Shooter View Post
One Student shot a 6.8 something and received an Advance rating, I unfortunately had a duty holster problem, slide didn't lock back and slow reloads so my best time and the only clean run I had was 8.45 with an Intermediate rating... That's all I deserve until I get my reloads down
It's harder than it looks
Cool, what is the course of fire for that FAST drill?
Old 03-22-2009, 8:17 PM
Calguns Addict

http://pistol-training.com/drills/fa...acy-speed-test

F.A.S.T. (Fundamentals, Accuracy, & Speed Test)
designed by Todd Green

Range: 7 yards
Target: 3×5 card (head), 8″ plate (body)
Start position: weapon concealed or in duty condition with all holster retention devices active; shooter facing downrange in relaxed stance with arms down at sides
Rounds fired: 6

Shooter loads gun with a total of two rounds. On start signal, shooter draws and fires two rounds at the head target; performs a slidelock reload; and fires four rounds at the body target.

You can see the progress of the test from slow precise head shots, to slidelock reload, to fast body shots very well in this clip:

Shooter Chris Frank tries the F.A.S.T. for the first time

Download Quicktime Player here for free

Ranking:

10+ seconds: Novice
less than 10 seconds: Intermediate
less than 7 seconds: Advanced
less than 5 seconds: Expert
If shooter is using a retention holster and flap (covered) magazine pouches, subtract 0.5 seconds from the recorded time. If shooter is using an open-top retention holster (e.g., Blackhawk SERPA or Safariland ALS) with no concealment, add 0.50 seconds to the recorded time.

ToddG shoots the F.A.S.T. for about the 1,000th time

Official F.A.S.T. target:

(click image to download; print on 8.5×14 Legal-size paper)

http://pistol-training.com/fastest

FASTest

(click here to see the video on YouTube)

The F.A.S.T. is a standard part of every pistol-training.com class. Students who can shoot the drill in less than five seconds with no misses twice in a row are awarded a numbered commemorative challenge coin.

This page will recognize the top shooter from each pistol-training.com open enrollment class as well as track the top scores on the F.A.S.T.

Class Top Shooters:
David Williams (Pittsburgh, PA August 2008): 6.29 (video)
Mike Christensen (Abbotsford, BC September 2008): 5.50 (from full duty gear, ½ second deduction)
Coin Recipients:
#00 Todd Louis Green
#01 Simon G. (Sep’07)
#02 David Sevigny (Feb’08)

The F.A.S.T. test:
Range: 7 yards
Target: 3×5 card (head), 8″ plate (body)
Start position: weapon concealed or in duty condition with all holster retention devices active; shooter facing downrange in relaxed stance with arms down at sides
Rounds fired: 6

Drill begins from the holster, pistol loaded with exactly two rounds. On the buzzer:

draw
fire two rounds at the 3×5 box
perform a slidelock reload
fire four rounds at the 8″ circle
Official F.A.S.T. target:

(click image to download; print on 8.5×14 Legal-size paper)

To count, the F.A.S.T. must be shot from concealment or from a recognized retention holster. Open-top retention holsters without concealment (e.g., Blackhawk SERPA, Safariland ALS) add an additional 0.50 to the shooter’s time. Using both a standard duty retention holster (e.g., Safariland SLS, SSIII) as well as flap/retention magazine pouches will result in a 0.50 reduction in recorded time.

Only scores earned during a pistol-training.com class or similar ptc-recognized event are eligible for record status or winning a F.A.S.T. Challenge Coin.

Dave Sevigny of Team Glock holds the record at 3.56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU3jceN4JAc