Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-04-2017, 9:14 PM

I love surprises! I was digging in some boxes of old gun junk and tactical stuff in long term storage in the garage, and found my two well worn, beat up, 40 round AR180/AR15 factory mags from when I had my first Sterling AR180 as an LEO trunk weapon in the 1980s. I had two factory 20s, two Sterling factory 30s, and the two aftermarket 40s. The 40s were "no-names", and did not work reliably. I stuffed them away with some old gear tactical gear from back in the day, figuring two 20s and two 30s were enough. I had totally forgot about them in the ensuing years, as I had pretty much written them off as junk back then.

I was a bit dismayed, as they had gotten some surface rust pitting on the outsides from being stored for 30 years. First thing I did (after cleaning the rust off nd oiling them up) was to replace the springs with Chrome Silcon replacement springs, and the followers with Magpul Gen IIs. The followers I took out were like early plastic 20 round followers. No wonder they wouldn't feed from a full mag. Anyway, since they also fit AR15s, I'll try them and see if they work any better now. I may just ship them off to my buddy in Nevada to put with the AR180 lower half, or I may just keep them here since I'm retired LEO and exempt. (I know, it's not fair, but it is what it is. Besides, the Federal court blocked the mag ban law for now)

Here they are in my "Featureless" NDS18S build. They look cooler in the the Costa Mesa, though.

When I emptied the rest of the stuff out of the box that had the two AR180 40 rounders, I found my mint condition Armalite AR18 manual. I actually ordered this from ArmaLite in Costa Mesa from about 1983 when I had my original Sterling AR180. I also found a vintage copy of SWAT magazine "SWAT Showdown 83" magazine (the original) from 1983. It had a review of the AR180 in it that actually caused me to get the AR180.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 11-04-2017 at 9:32 PM..
Old 11-04-2017, 9:15 PM

I was re-reading the magazine. I was interesting to read what was "tacticool" back 34 years ago, compared to today!. Chuck Taylor, Eric Strahl, and Mark A. Fricke were the professional fighting weapons and tactics gurus back in the day. They were the first source of definitive tactics on mag changes, load bearing, and immediate action drills in the post Vietnam area, into the 1980s and even the early 1990s.

The SWAT Showdown was a very thorough and systematic evaluation of the weapons and calibers covered in three categories: Battle Rifles (.308), Assault weapons (less than .308), and submachine guns. Included windshield and car penetration, group size full auto, and group size semi-auto. They also cover all the strengths and weakness of each weapon covered. Interestingly enough, the M1/M2 Carbine got VERY high marks!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

I had a Sterling 180 in the early 80's. They had bad reps but mine ran like a champ. A lot of the same concepts (gas piston, folding stock, built in optic mount) were carried on in the Daewoo. The Daewoo was newer and better executed. That stuff above seems like NBD now, but they were on those rifles in the mid-80's, and it would be at least 10 years before they would show up on other mainstream assault rifles.
Old 11-05-2017, 6:29 AM

I think Sterling continued making the 180 for Armalite in Costa Mesa until about 1983. Sterling then updated and simplified the design for the SAR80, and actually used the AR18 as the basis for their bullpup L85. H&K used the design as the basis for their G36. Look at break down pictures of the three and their parentage is obvious.

If i could have my original Costa Mesa lower in California, I would actually prefer it to the AR15 system. Oh well, my featureless OLL version will have to do.

Last edited by imarangemaster; 11-05-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Old 11-05-2017, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, I had my AR-180 in the early 80's, my Daewoo in 1989, and didn't get an AR until circa 1991. I never liked the AR and still don't, but there's not really a good alternative. Maybe the Robinson, but the company is too flaky.