Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 72 8.06%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 605 67.75%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 19 2.13%
I paid too much for my Membership! 40 4.48%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.46%
Don't want anything to do with them! 135 15.12%
Voters: 893. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Pistols were unloaded but they were on the person. Nothing in the course had to do with a pistol so was wondering why they would bother to carry it. This was in both 4 day practical rifle courses.
Haha. Were they all tacticaled out? Camo from head to toe, helmet with NVG, full armor with neck and groin protection?

How did they shoot? Got DG?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Haha. Were they all tacticaled out? Camo from head to toe, helmet with NVG, full armor with neck and groin protection?

How did they shoot? Got DG?
Funny you say that. There was a father son combo that wore full fatigues all four days. Two guys carried pistols the whole time. A few folks wore plate carriers and all kinds of crap. I understand the train as you fight but first you must learn the basics. Some guys had tons of crap hanging off their rifles from lights to bi-pods and everything in between.

Not to throw stones but each time I go out I keep stripping stuff away or changing things for better fit but some folks had so much garbage that it just got in their way of learning. Over the course of the class you see instructor suggesting then finally pulling stuff off that is impeding students from learning. It seems that Leapers/UTG sales must spike before each class.

Also folks coming out with brand new guns that just choke on the ammo or are so new they keep mis-feeding. One guy with a Desert Tech had to have the armorer open up the gas port of his rifle to get it to run. Sweet gun but man that guy had a ton of money into his trip from the new rifle and the flight out there and he spent more time screwing with his gun than learning to shoot.
Old 10-26-2018, 1:44 PM

It sounds like I wonít be wearing pistol. That stuff gets heavy by itself after a couple of days.

Iíve also been toying with buying a magnifier for my red dot. Would it be useful for this class? With my crappy eyes I can hit a man sized target out to 100 yds, but precision suffers.

Since CA has taken all the fun out of ARs I donít shoot it much. It does run reliably with any ammo.
Old 10-26-2018, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

Running a 3x or 6x flip away magnifier would be worth it if you don't mind spending the money.
Old 10-26-2018, 8:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I never did, but it would be an interesting new skill with that short a magazine.

How many mags do you plan on bringing? Haven't seen Saiga mags for sale lately. Do AK mags work well in Saigas without a bullet guide? 7.62 or 5.45?

Remember, the good doctor doesn't like magnetic bullets.
Good to see you posting Beanz. One of these days we'll have to do another course together!

I'll be bringing six 10 rounders. Haven't heard of any Saiga's that can run without a bullet guide with normal AK mags.

I'll be running a newly acquired Saiga .223. As for the mags... well I've got my source
Old 10-27-2018, 12:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
Good to see you posting Beanz. One of these days we'll have to do another course together!

I'll be bringing six 10 rounders. Haven't heard of any Saiga's that can run without a bullet guide with normal AK mags.

I'll be running a newly acquired Saiga .223. As for the mags... well I've got my source
Yeah, the last course was Gabe Suarez's Fighting Kalashnikov, wasn't it?

Some guys on AKFiles say you can run 5.45 mags in Saigas without a bullet guide, but not sure about the .223.

Old 10-27-2018, 6:41 AM

Default Looking for Front Site upgrade

Am currently a Commander. Looking for upgrade to Presidential, if they are still out there.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2018, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Where did you see them?
I wore my pistol the very first time I took the rifle class. They welcome it as long as you have taken the pistol course and it stays unloaded. Wear your pistol all day like you normally do, but you're in a rifle class. If you wear a pistol all the time, it's good to learn to work around it!

I always recommend all students do the same. You will get to a point where you train for transitioning from one weapon to the other.

For instance, up close, it's easier to draw a pistol and take your shot. As you move further away in distance, the difficulty of aimng w/ a pistol past 25 yds (takes too much time /reduced accuracy) makes it easier to go to work with the rifle.

During one private class we took with Will Wills, he had us run rental pistols dry, and as soon as we had no more ammo/mags for them, we threw them in the rocks (literally) and went immediately to rifle.

Don't limit your options or learning experience!

Quote:
Haha. Were they all tacticaled out? Camo from head to toe ... How did they shoot? Got DG?
Have you taken any advanced classes yet? You don't have to be Mr. Camo Tacticool to learn & have fun.

For reference, I DG'd handgun my first time, rifle my first time, shotgun my second time.

And I HATE camo!

Last edited by DesertClimber; 10-27-2018 at 7:32 AM..
Old 10-27-2018, 7:41 AM

[QUOTE=damon1272;22266131. One guy with a Desert Tech had to have the armorer open up the gas port of his rifle to get it to run. Sweet gun....[/QUOTE]

The MDR isn't ready for the big time yet. Mine used to rip rims and leave stuck cases in the chamber. I couldn't make a single range trip without needed to use a cleaning rod to knock out stuck brass. Needless to say, it got sold ASAP.

Hopefully they get all that sorted because it really is a sweeeet gun and I want another one!

Last edited by DesertClimber; 11-13-2018 at 5:46 AM..
Old 10-27-2018, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post
I wore my pistol the very first time I took the rifle class. They welcome it as long as you have taken the pistol course and it stays unloaded. Wear your pistol all day like you normally do, but you're in a rifle class. If you wear a pistol all the time, it's good to learn to work around it!

I always recommend all students do the same. You will get to a point where you train for transitioning from one weapon to the other.

For instance, up close, it's easier to draw a pistol and take your shot. As you move further away in distance, the difficulty of aimng w/ a pistol past 25 yds (takes too much time /reduced accuracy) makes it easier to go to work with the rifle.

During one private class we took with Will Wills, he had us run rental pistols dry, and as soon as we had no more ammo/mags for them, we threw them in the rocks (literally) and went immediately to rifle.

Have you taken any advanced classes yet? You don't have to be Mr. Camo Tacticool to learn & have fun.

For reference, I DG'd handgun my first time, rifle my first time, shotgun my second time.

And I HATE camo!
Yes, I have. I'm enrolled in Tactical and Advanced Tactical HG in December and February. I used to take Advanced Tactical Rifle until FS stopped having it. See my posts somewhere else in this thread.

I have taken classes from other schools where we do rifle to HG transitions. I can see the need to have a handgun in those rifle classes, but having an unloaded handgun on you for Front Sight's basic Practical Rifle is unnecessary in my mind.

Old 10-27-2018, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Going out 11/9-11/12 for a 4ddhg. This time it’s my 15yo daughters first pistol class along with two other first time teenage girls. Twelve in our group. Going to be a fun day weekend. I’ll be shooting support side with a 45acp to mix it up.

Last edited by DSMeyer; 10-27-2018 at 8:54 AM..
Old 10-27-2018, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Going out 11/9-11/12 for a 4ddhg. This time itís my 15yo daughters first pistol class along with two other first time teenage girls. Twelve in our group. Going to be a fun day weekend. Iíll be shooting support side with a 45acp to mix it up.
Sounds like fun, David! I wish my daughter would go with us too, but she has zero interest. Have a great time!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Iíll be out there taking the same class on that weekend. Bringing a buddy out for the first time.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:07 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
Did you hear anything more about that?

Edit: Found it on FS's website: https://www.frontsight.com/courses/r...training-4.asp
looks like it could be a fun class. maybe I'll take it Feb/March.

already booked for Tactical Scenarios (airsoft class) Dec 5-6 and the big daddy 4 Day Four Weapon Tactical class in January.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Anyone else get the letter today regarding troubles brewing at Frontsight? I’ll be there 11-9 to 11-12 for 4 dayDHG class as well. We need a fourth to make our group even. Anyone odd numbered as well?

Purchase any 2 kits and get 20% off your full order.
Purchase any 3 kits and get 25% off your full order.
Purchase any 4 or more kits and get 30% off your full order.

http://armaglock.com

Note: Limited time only

.308 KINGPINS IN PRODUCTION

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078

Last edited by protohyp; 10-29-2018 at 10:32 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Got the letter and trashed it. Same thing as in his emails.
Old 11-01-2018, 2:41 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone kick in for Iggyís latest fundraiser? I did for basic memberships to give away. Went and doubled them. Not bad.
Old 11-01-2018, 3:44 PM

Yeah I went in for $100 to get the credits for background checks and have a few basic memberships to get some friends to go with. I'm heading to the Marksmanship class in late February, pretty excited for that with a 6.5CM. Should have a big group of coworkers and maybe some family headed.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Question Selling memberships

Question for everyone, How do you find people interested in buying your memberships when we're not allowed to advertise them? I know it seems basic (offer to friends and family) but I don't seem to be selling it well enough (or i'm over pricing them) and being met with very little success. What are your thoughts/advice?
Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

I hav e not been selling them. I give them away to people that are interested. Granted they are low level memberships. Most of the time it is word of mouth.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:39 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
looks like it could be a fun class. maybe I'll take it Feb/March.

already booked for Tactical Scenarios (airsoft class) Dec 5-6 and the big daddy 4 Day Four Weapon Tactical class in January.
It'll be fun to watch people in the prone on the cold ground in Feb.
Old 11-02-2018, 5:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
It'll be fun to watch people in the prone on the cold ground in Feb.
Haha!. Made the mistake of going out this February. The high was 32* for the two days I was there.
Old 11-03-2018, 3:05 AM

Default Rob makes the class fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Just back from the 4 day - weather was picture perfect - Zack McCormick was our instructor couldn't ask for better (Bill Cristifulli - Rob Plate - Madison Daniel). Was 18 down but in April I was 25 down - so I improved - DG for sure next time.
Wish I was a lot closer would be there once a month...Oh well!

There was a #10 tin can at the gate with a label Defense Fund - LOL!!!!!
I did the 4 day last January and we had Rob as one of our Line Coaches...he definitely kept things light and fun.
Old 11-04-2018, 6:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Haha!. Made the mistake of going out this February. The high was 32* for the two days I was there.
Me too, buddy! If you are driving, bring one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...28547662&psc=1

I have taken FS classes in the dead of winter and in the scorch of summer. Lying on frozen gravel is much better than burning gravel!

What are you taking?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Going out 11/9-11/12 for a 4ddhg. This time itís my 15yo daughters first pistol class along with two other first time teenage girls. Twelve in our group. Going to be a fun day weekend. Iíll be shooting support side with a 45acp to mix it up.
Let us know how it goes. My daughter is 15 and been trying to take her down for several years with no luck. I think this is the right age. Both my kids passed on taking the kids stuff.
Old 11-04-2018, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Me too, buddy!

What are you taking?
I am going to take the 4 day handgun course. Taking friend of mine that has never gone before and two of his kids are going through the kids class. I'll probably do another 4 day in the spring with my son. Looking forward to going then I will start up again in late March and do a few classes before the heat.
Old 11-06-2018, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I am going to take the 4 day handgun course. Taking friend of mine that has never gone before and two of his kids are going through the kids class. I'll probably do another 4 day in the spring with my son. Looking forward to going then I will start up again in late March and do a few classes before the heat.
It's always awesome when I hear the next generation taking up shooting. Wish my daughter would sacrifice 4 days of her vacation time to go to FS too.

I'll be flying in from Reno so no bringing Mr. Heater for me.

I'm debating if I should add a 4 Day Rifle Marksmanship class after my 2D TactHG/2D ATHG class in February. My brother who will take the HG classes with me has said he won't go as he thinks 8 straight days of FS is too much. I'm not sure either if I want to fly home after class exhausted, then have to go to work the next day.

Maybe I should go for the 2 Day Rifle Marksmanship instead? At least the class is over on a Saturday. If the class is anything like 2D Practical Rifle, that would be a waste of time going over the basics.

Old 11-06-2018, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

Marksmanship as I was told is going to be added as another prerequisite for precision rifle.

Having worked at a driving facility there was great knowledge gained in day 3&4 as what is taught really solidifies. Though 8 days of shooting would get old. (Sorry for speaking blasphemy).

As for the pro shop. It wAs full when I was there 3 weeks ago.
Old 11-06-2018, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Marksmanship as I was told is going to be added as another prerequisite for precision rifle.

Having worked at a driving facility there was great knowledge gained in day 3&4 as what is taught really solidifies. Though 8 days of shooting would get old. (Sorry for speaking blasphemy).

As for the pro shop. It wAs full when I was there 3 weeks ago.
Agree on the benefits of a 4 day FS class. Usually the 3rd and 4th days are when the fun begins, unless it is a more advanced class.

After looking at the added costs of renting a 2nd car (bro would have to fly home just as the rifle class is starting), the much higher cost of plane ticket home (just checked at Southwest.com, just hit a peak travel time I guess) and added lodging, it costs about 60-70% as taking the 4 day marksmanship class separately in April. Plus the wife can take a 4DDHG at the same time. I think I'll go and plan that trip now!

Now, if I can go to a weekend class locally after FS, that would be awesome. Or, just go to the range to fine tune a new rifle for April. Been an AK shooter all these years, but now thinking of using my PredatOBR.

Old 11-06-2018, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Going to look to do a 2 day refresher on rifle and a 4 day on marksmanship with my son in March and April. Most likely do the marksmanship first and those lessons will transfer over to practical rifle. Just trying to decide if I have him run an AR and put a scope on it or set him up with a bolt action for the class.
Old 11-07-2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Quick update: Unfortunately, I have to cancel this trip. I just got recently ill and I burned through my paid leaves.

I'll see if I can come back in the March time frame.

_
Quote:
That's too bad. I was looking forward to meeting you. Wouldn't be too hard finding two hapa kids and a Japanese mother eating musubi LOL
I may be drop by FS - am working on some compromise with my boss on paid leaves in light of an anticipated heavy workload the first quarter of 2019.

I need to go back to my logistics...

The wife will be using the stock Glock 34 Gen 3 (I will be getting high-caps on the way) and I will be using the HK USP Expert 45.

Right now - it's the weather/temperature I am concerned. How much warm clothing should I actually bring?

_
Old 11-07-2018, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
I may be drop by FS - am working on some compromise with my boss on paid leaves in light of an anticipated heavy workload the first quarter of 2019.

I need to go back to my logistics...

The wife will be using the stock Glock 34 Gen 3 (I will be getting high-caps on the way) and I will be using the HK USP Expert 45.

Right now - it's the weather/temperature I am concerned. How much warm clothing should I actually bring?

_
Good deal! Accountant?

The weather can be very cold especially when it's windy. There have been time when a hat was not enough and I had to buy a balaclava from Big5 in Pahrump. Long underwear would also be nice. I dress in layers to let me peel off the layers as the day warms up. But be sure the layers can be nicely tucked into your pants if you're shooting from concealment.

Old 11-08-2018, 2:04 PM

Iggy is scamming you guys again and you just can't face it. This latest daily abuse of email trying to get money to pay his legal bills is yet another step towards his ultimate scam. Why do you not see any work on FS other than what produces cash for him, the ranges? I have been waiting for 25 years for just the engraved pillar as a founding member as promised. My eyes are open you guys are fools who do not see this.
Old 11-08-2018, 5:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dmaster View Post
Iggy is scamming you guys again and you just can't face it. This latest daily abuse of email trying to get money to pay his legal bills is yet another step towards his ultimate scam. Why do you not see any work on FS other than what produces cash for him, the ranges? I have been waiting for 25 years for just the engraved pillar as a founding member as promised. My eyes are open you guys are fools who do not see this.
Huh? What e-mail? I haven't received any e-mails from the guy. Somehow they got me off their e-mail list.

I have spent at the most $30 at FS this year. Mostly buying smoothies from the Beach Cafe. I pack my lunch from Pahrump. All those Front Sight shirts, sunglasses and hats were free thanks to Iggy Bucks.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait for him to engrave my name on the pillar. If I really want my name there, I'd just took their sharpie and head for the brown room.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dmaster View Post

Geez Woody, how much did you spend? Not to rub salt in yer wound, but I spent $89 each for the wife and I for lifetime memberships. Best money I ever spent. One of the best vacation Weíve had too.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 11-09-2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorousAria View Post
Question for everyone, How do you find people interested in buying your memberships when we're not allowed to advertise them? I know it seems basic (offer to friends and family) but I don't seem to be selling it well enough (or i'm over pricing them) and being met with very little success. What are your thoughts/advice?
Sonor:

I am looking to buy a Presidential if you have that level available?
Old 11-09-2018, 7:14 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I don't have a president membership available but if you're interested in private training days I have a few single day service available
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckeee View Post
Sonor:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ruger PCC (not the PC9), threaded barrel, only $475 in stock!

Ruger Precision Rifles! 6.5 Creedmore $1,099, .22 $385, .338 $1,499!

CZ SP-01 in stock, $599.99
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 black available, $999!
#01171, #01172
CZ PCR, 575! Compact, 519, single action 75 available!

Beretta M-9A1 from Maryland in stock!! $625 plus tax and DROS. Old stock, ON ROSTER!!

Franklin Armory CA7 AR coming soon! Order had been confirmed

Main thread

website
Old 11-12-2018, 3:03 AM

Exclamation

Anyone attending the 2 day Tactical Handgun that starts on 11/19? Would like to meet fellow Cali members to endure the constant California trash talking. LOL! I go with my buddy, fellow Cali shooter and we had to hear all the California jokes for 4 days straight. In the end only 12 out of 35 graduated and only 4 DG the class me and my buddy were 2 of the 4.
Old 11-12-2018, 6:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckeee View Post
Sonor:

Between my wife and I we have 20 Presedent. The problem is, they are the only level that you can trade in for the fees on any timeshares you are going to purchase. So that actually makes them valuable-Expensive if the owner is hoping to get some timeshares.

Maybe get a lower membership level first, and I guarantee you will get an offer from FS to upgrade to President.

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 11-12-2018, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post

And I HATE camo!

The above post now has me interested in FS, I have been gifted two 4 day coupons.

Is there RV parking?

Are there RV sites?

Has anyone stayed there in the RV? If so how noisy is it for my wife and dogs?