Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default 1827 Harper’s Ferry Info/Value...

First, I am sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, please move as necessary. My father-in-law is interested in selling this piece and I really don't know too much about it. It is a 1827 Harper's Ferry musket that was cut down many moons ago (he guessed mid-1800s, but I really don't know how educated a guess that was). It has been converted to cap and ball and the action still works. I am hoping someone here will be able to tell me something about this awesome relic and/or give me a general idea of what its value is. Please let me know if specific photos would help and I will be happy to supply them. Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-2016, 3:46 PM

Nice cartouche and VP ( stands for '' Verified Proofed''). The mark beneath the VP is an eagle head. Too bad it was shortened but that was standard practice back then to make it easier to handle.
If there is a '' U'' on the barrel bands, it should be on the right side ( same side as the lock) facing the muzzle. The '' U'' stands for UP. The bands are slightly tapered to match the taper of the stock and barrel.
Jon

Last edited by musketjon; 09-26-2016 at 3:55 PM..
Old 09-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

^Wow, thank you! I'll have to check for the "U" when I get home from work. Any idea what the "3" in the second to last picture could signify? Like I say, I am just this side of clueless on this topic, do you have any idea of approximate value (my FIL is interested in selling it so that someone who enjoys them can do just that instead of having it collect dust in his closet)? Would other pictures help better determine that? Thank you very much for your help.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not that I know anything about these, but it looks like an inexpensive wall hanger (due to condition) to me.....

On another note, did you ever shoot the triple crown?
Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

There are several Harper's Ferry muskets for sale on Gunbroker, but I don't see any Model 1827. At any rate, check out the others and it might get you a rough ball park of what you might ask for yours.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2016, 1:05 PM

I'd have to physically handle it to give an estimate on its worth. Too many unknowns at the present time.
Jon
Old 09-27-2016, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

As you already know, it would be wonderful if it was still a flinter and not shortened, as is with rust and corrosion, etc., - $300-$400.

IMHO - which is not worth much really, my opinion that is, lol.
Old 09-27-2016, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Not that I know anything about these, but it looks like an inexpensive wall hanger (due to condition) to me.....

On another note, did you ever shoot the triple crown?
I did. Took a little getting used to when going back and forth between that and a Mossberg 500 and a M4, but all in all I was pleased. Obviously not your run of the mill shotgun, but I like some of the odd ball stuff.
Old 09-27-2016, 5:21 PM

Clay- what your father-in-law has is a Model 1816 U.S. Flintlock Musket that has been converted to percussion. Made at both National Armories, as well as several contractors. As a cut down musket, it is worth in the neighborhood of the price quoted by our friend Pit. A collector of these muskets would see it as a "parts gun" and likely have little interest in it (unless he needs some parts).
…but its still a cool piece.
Geologyjohn