Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 02-23-2011, 7:00 AM

Default Appleseed for complete newbies?

I'm just getting into shooting. Will be picking up my first rifle (a .22) this week. Is Appleseed too intense for a total newbie? My wife is also interested, but we only have the one rifle, are there loaners to use or should I pick up/borrow another rifle? (We are both distance runners and cyclists so physically we should be fine.)

Should I go shoot a bunch at the ranges before I attend, or is it better I don't develop any habits and show up at Appleseed a total "blank slate"?

thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 7:48 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Appleseed...Newbies welcome

Appleseed is perfect for newbies. There are some things one can do to prepare your rifle for an Appleseed, sling etc. There are usually loaners available. The loaners are the instructors personal firearms. So the supply is limited. Contact the Shoot Boss at your location for availability. Have fun and let us know what you think of the program.
Old 02-23-2011, 7:53 AM

depending on your location, instructors should have loaner rifles, just bring the ammo. make sure to contact the instructor for that area before hand to reserve a rifle. you will be going through roughly 500+ rounds each for both days, so bring plenty of ammo. if you go through the appleseedinfo.org forum, you should be able to find who is instructing for that range. eye and ear protection is also a must and instructors may not always have them handy. if you can get a usgi sling and mount it to your rifle, great, if not, they will find a way

be familiar with your rifle as far as function, safety, and usage. look over the owners manual if you are not familiar with firearms. I have always found it best to keep an open mind and a blank slate for instruction, but to each his own. bring a mat that will keep the rocks away, long sleeves for hot brass, and tuck your shirt just in case. basically, dress for the occasion.
Old 02-23-2011, 8:49 AM
CGSSA Leader

What they said.

You should try to hit the range with your new rifle at least once to make sure you understand how your rifle operates, how to be safe with it, and so on. Also if you have time, pick up a spare magazine or two and make sure they operate correctly. If you can, put on 1 1/4" swivels and a GI-style or similar sling (basically anything that can make a loop sling). And you'll be way ahead of the curve.

If you can't do these ahead of time, we'll take care of you. Beginners are always welcome. And frequently, beginners outperform experienced plinkers. Shooting is mostly a mental thing, so come prepared to learn and to have fun.
Old 02-23-2011, 4:57 PM

Cool,

Thanks for the info. I'm in LA so I was looking at the Angeles shoot in April. I guess that give me some time to get used to the rifle and pick up some supplies. I can borrow a 10/22 from a few folks to use for my wife.
Old 02-26-2011, 9:56 PM

I'm very excited about going to my first Appleseed even this April, up here in the Sacrmento area. My best girlfriend has been trying to get me to go with her and I finally have made it a priority.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Calguns Addict

signed up for April, trying to get in tomorrows action as well
Old 05-06-2011, 6:29 AM

so for the people who work on the weekends am I going to totally miss out on something if I cant make one day or will it be ok? I am interested in going as well and will be picking up a .22 in the near future, and I have never been to an appleseed before. but I cant miss work!!! the frustration is unbearable!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfidelis354 View Post
so for the people who work on the weekends am I going to totally miss out on something if I cant make one day or will it be ok? I am interested in going as well and will be picking up a .22 in the near future, and I have never been to an appleseed before. but I cant miss work!!! the frustration is unbearable!!!
When I went, they did offer the opportunity to go for a single day. If I had to choose, I'd say the first day would be most valuable as thats when we went over most of the techniques and such.
Old 05-06-2011, 7:18 AM

Quote:

If you can only do one day, make certain that Saturday is the day you attend.
Old 05-06-2011, 1:33 PM

see thats the problem, sat is the day I work... my shooting background is in the marine corps so I know how to use the loop sling and proper sight alignment/picture, as well as the basic stances even though I may be a little rusty at those stances. are there alot more things/techniques I am missing?
Old 05-06-2011, 1:43 PM

Quote:
see thats the problem, sat is the day I work... my shooting background is in the marine corps so I know how to use the loop sling and proper sight alignment/picture, as well as the basic stances even though I may be a little rusty at those stances. are there alot more things/techniques I am missing?
If Saturday is impossible then you are left with Sunday.
Bring a very positive attitude and be aware that the other participants will have 8 hours of a head start on learning the positions and the 6 steps of taking the shot. Your knowledge of the loop sling will help a lot.

Bring a great attitude. Everything else can be purchased, borrowed, or learned.
Old 05-06-2011, 2:20 PM

thanks! good to know that appleseed isn't out of my reach due to my time constraints
Old 05-06-2011, 7:14 PM
CGSSA Leader

If you're a Marine, you are not a complete newbie...

We do go over everything on Sunday, it's just a lot quicker, which is why Saturday is better where possible. Make sure the instructors are aware so they can make adjustments. We'll sort it out.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM

sweet. and I meant i was a newb to appleseed not shooting in general lol. I'll make arrangements to go once I get my LTR all set up.