Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-12-2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toamaius View Post
I don't know about registered assault weapons... A lot of the guns used were equipped with Magpul magazines, and i seriously doubt those Glock mags were older than 1 year lol.

So having an FFL allows you to use standard capacity magazines and rifles?
Taran is a business, I would be surprised if they don't have a high-capacity magazine permit along with their FFL. And working in movie industry they probably also have a dangerous weapons permit. That wouldn't be unusual.
Old 10-13-2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
Mean arms must have had ears burning. I just got my shipping email!
i ordered them one day after you, not email yet
Old 10-13-2018, 4:34 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
So having an FFL allows you to use standard capacity magazines and rifles?
Being a CA FFL dealer/manufacturer allows the business to apply for and obtain a CA DOJ large capacity magazine permit and CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permits for AW/DD/MG/SBR/SBS.

With the CA DOJ permits, the business can use those items.
^Note that using those items beyond the good cause for obtaining the permits is grounds for permit revokation and the items being confiscated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
Taran is a business, I would be surprised if they don't have a high-capacity magazine permit along with their FFL. And working in movie industry they probably also have a dangerous weapons permit. That wouldn't be unusual.
Taran Tactical Innovations is a 07-FFL that has a large capacity magazine permit and Dangerous Weapons Permits for AW, SBR, & SBS.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 10-13-2018 at 4:45 AM..
Old 10-13-2018, 9:19 AM

I just got the shipped email
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Just got my shipping notice. I ordered on 8/19.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 AM

OH wow thanks for the heads up. My email must have gone to my junk or spam folder. I searched meanarms and it popped up with the tracking number woo hooo!!
Old 10-15-2018, 5:18 PM

Mine showed up today! I loaded up one mag of aluminum cased 9mm and fired all ten rounds without a single hiccup. No visible marks on the ejector. I wish I had some more time but it will have to wait until Saturday. At this point though I am extremely pleased. I figure if it chambers the crappy aluminum with no issue that is a good sign!!!

Last edited by Bullets&Whitewalls; 10-16-2018 at 2:59 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 2:22 AM

i got mine too. there is a problem

i have Taccom's new extreme feed barrel which has a wide feeding ramp.

i have to cut a piece of the pmag and the endomag in order to seat the mag
Old 10-16-2018, 6:03 AM
👀Theyre Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Is MEAN arms not in California? That video showed a featured rifle doing mag changes freely, not very compliant lol.
Quote:
So... They just don't gaf?

Also, I been seeing a lot of videos of Terran Tactical out of Simi Valley, CA some ranch, they helped train Keanu Reeves and some other dudes from YouTube, they were running full featured rifles standard capacity 30 round magazines along with standard capacity Glock 17 mags, what gives?
I think as a community, we need to stop policing ourselves on stuff like this. In other states, such as Colorado, that also have magazine bans, you can still walk in to a shop and buy 30 round mags. We cause so much panic on to ourselves. How many of us have spoken to LEO that think the laws against law abiding citizens are BS?
Bottom line, Mean is a FFL with permits. MYOB! Unless you work for Feinstein or something...

Tac-Tags.com
Old 10-16-2018, 7:50 AM

I'm waiting to see a few more reviews. Keep them coming. Plus I'm really interested to see a cmmg guard upper with the Endo mag.
Old 10-16-2018, 9:43 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
I think as a community, we need to stop policing ourselves on stuff like this. In other states, such as Colorado, that also have magazine bans, you can still walk in to a shop and buy 30 round mags. We cause so much panic on to ourselves. How many of us have spoken to LEO that think the laws against law abiding citizens are BS?
Bottom line, Mean is a FFL with permits. MYOB! Unless you work for Feinstein or something...
This is a very good point. I posted a video on Instagram of someone using a legally owned 30 round magazine in a competition in CA (in their featureless rifle) and some people flipped. The anti-gunners training us to do their work for them.

I've been guilty of pointing out some questionably legal things too, but I try to stay quiet and mind my own business now, unless I can tell they really need or want the help. Anyway, thanks for making this point.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Anyone know if there's a manufacturer that makes a 9mm upper in a piston system that is compatible with an AR15 lower?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1snowridr View Post
Anyone know if there's a manufacturer that makes a 9mm upper in a piston system that is compatible with an AR15 lower?
Don't know of any, but there are some D.I. 9mm uppers out there.

Why do you ask? Is there anything wrong with standard blowback?
Old 10-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARDude View Post
Don't know of any, but there are some D.I. 9mm uppers out there.

Why do you ask? Is there anything wrong with standard blowback?
Nothing but a question.
Old 10-16-2018, 1:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I also looked for this and came up empty. The closest I got was the MPX, but it won't fit a standard AR lower. Just get the MPX.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 10-16-2018, 4:20 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Really cool product. Makes me interested in building one.
Old 10-16-2018, 5:01 PM

I always get nervous when someone talks with their hands.
Old 10-16-2018, 8:22 PM

Quote:
These are both short stroke piston operated

https://store.flintriverarmory.com/p...fense-carbine/

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=922220
Old 10-20-2018, 2:31 PM

So I put about 400 rounds through it today with the mean arms endomag. I did have a few goof ups. Had 4 ftf off trying to chamber the first round. And 3 after the 3 rd round fired.

I think they were mostly caused by me. I noticed if I let the mag rest on the table it would fail. Easy fix get off the stupid table! The others I can only guess that I wasn’t paying attention to how I loaded the mag. If your not careful the rounds can sit a little forward and I think the next round coming up was causing me issue. Every time I made sure to set my rounds to the back of the mag I had no issue. Even did a few rapid fires to see. And no visible marks that I could see on the plastic ejector. I’ll know tonight or tomorrow morning when I clean her all up.

So far I’m very happy. My set up is the psa hybrid 16” upper I bought from another member with an Anderson lower. I used an Anderson lpk too for the flatter hammer. I have the heavy 9mm buffer I can’t rember what kind. I’ll look it up.
Old 10-20-2018, 3:33 PM

Good to know. I got mine so I'll try it out Wed at Angeles. Half off day woo hoo =P. Lately I've been smacking the back of my mags to make sure the bullets are as far back as possible so that could help also. I ordered 3 so I might have an extra one for someone to buy possibly.
Old 10-20-2018, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
Good to know. I got mine so I'll try it out Wed at Angeles. Half off day woo hoo =P. Lately I've been smacking the back of my mags to make sure the bullets are as far back as possible so that could help also. I ordered 3 so I might have an extra one for someone to buy possibly.
Mine is a fixed mag. So I need to load it with the upper pivoted and the mag in place. Surprisingly it is easy to load, much easier than the asc mags. huge plus there. the few issues were cleared with a small prybar type screwdriver. One thing I am debating right now though is the BHO. Its nice to know its clear after the last round is fired but you have to remember to release it to open the upper. I don't like dropping the bolt without a round so I was using the charging handle to close it without slamming. But then if I remove it its going to do it on its own. Oh California FU
Old 10-20-2018, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullets&Whitewalls View Post
Mine is a fixed mag. So I need to load it with the upper pivoted and the mag in place. Surprisingly it is easy to load, much easier than the asc mags. huge plus there. the few issues were cleared with a small prybar type screwdriver. One thing I am debating right now though is the BHO. Its nice to know its clear after the last round is fired but you have to remember to release it to open the upper. I don't like dropping the bolt without a round so I was using the charging handle to close it without slamming. But then if I remove it its going to do it on its own. Oh California FU
I happen to have a fixed A2 stock and swapped out my flash suppress or a muzzle break so the only thing I really needed was a grip for $9.95 from ebay that has a thumb rest in case you want to go the other route for featureless. I love being able to drop my mag and have 4 mags all set up.
Old 10-20-2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
I happen to have a fixed A2 stock and swapped out my flash suppress or a muzzle break so the only thing I really needed was a grip for $9.95 from ebay that has a thumb rest in case you want to go the other route for featureless. I love being able to drop my mag and have 4 mags all set up.
Im considering it. I have two featureless rifles that I really like but I wanted to see how much if any of those features really mean anything to me lol
Old 11-03-2018, 8:03 PM

Welp, after a few weeks with the EndoMag and lots of back and forth with Mean Arms customer support I can concur with what one Youtube reviewer called it - a piece of ****. It works, but it's a piece of ****. Had to get an alternate bolt catch and do some modifications to get it to work as advertised. Instead of what could have been the best option out there it's now just one of many options, if you really must have a 9mm AR15 hack.
Old 11-03-2018, 8:23 PM

Wah, wa, wah.....bummer.
Old 11-03-2018, 8:51 PM

Used mine a couple days ago and worked flawlessly.
Old 11-04-2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
Welp, after a few weeks with the EndoMag and lots of back and forth with Mean Arms customer support I can concur with what one Youtube reviewer called it - a piece of ****. It works, but it's a piece of ****. Had to get an alternate bolt catch and do some modifications to get it to work as advertised. Instead of what could have been the best option out there it's now just one of many options, if you really must have a 9mm AR15 hack.
Mean arms mentioned from the beginning that depending on what bolt set up you have you may need to ask for a different version. Its in the order form. So what were your issues? If your gonna chime in with a complaint at least be clear and tell us the whole story. It might help someone else whos building one.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:08 PM

I'm also curious as to what other mods had to be done. Everyone has to put a spacer or change the buffer tube weight or length for the different round so that shouldn't be any of the mods that anyone needs to do beyond the norm. The bolt catch is just the piece that slides up to catch the bolt for like $6 on Cheaper than Dirt and it seems like it is working fine now so not sure how it's a piece of *** and working fine at the same time.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Ejector is the biggest issue. Many people on AR15 have issues with it snagging the BCG, especially if any upwards pressure is put on the mag, like using the mag as a support. CSR @ Mean Arms said that trimming the ejector may be required and they'll still stand behind their warranty.

Ejector and feed ramp are both plastic and may wear prematurely, especially with malfunctions.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Waiting for me reviews.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM

So I purchased a new Palmeto 9mm upper (Mean Arms recommend it) & it does work. The only issue I found was it's ammo picky because it didn't like reloads. I can't say that's on the Means adapter but I could see wear marks on it with only running 150rds through it. I also didn't like that you MUST have a mag inserted to remove a round that's chambered. That made double feeds a bit annoying to deal with.

All in all it does work but it will never replace my MPX, not even close.