Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 09-30-2014, 4:52 PM

Default The *where* of my sling-Anchor

I am new to the Appleseed Project and am inventorying my gear and trying to ensure that I get all the instruction and as little messing with or modifying my rifles as possible [comply with basics] and have augmented my previous "mall-ninja" nylon sling with a newer, USGI/cotton unit that I will have to attach. Please can anyone qualified comment or recommend where to affix the back of this sling to my Stock? I have heard/read that attaching to the side of the stock is less desirable for the holds that are taught. OK, so with this model, where else is going to work? Pictured is my ACS Stock:
Thanks for guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACS-Stock-Question.jpg (72.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 09-30-2014, 8:10 PM
CGSSA Leader

I would try it at location (c) -- but if that didn't work, I wouldn't be too concerned.

The most important anchor point is on the forestock. By itself, that will let you use a Loop Sling, which most shooters prefer in prone and seated positions, and is certainly good enough in standing position. The rear stock swivel is less important, though it will give you the option of Hasty Sling.

You'll be able to try different variations at the class. What I would do in your case, since the anchor won't fit in (c), is to make a temporary swivel using a zip tie -- make a circle about 2" or so in diameter looped through the slot at (c), and then affix the sling through the zip tie. If it doesn't work, no big deal.

See you soon!

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 09-30-2014, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's sort of interesting, you get it all slinged up and pretty and then the first part is OK, take that back part off and here's how it goes on your arm...
Old 10-01-2014, 8:16 AM

I appreciate your quick responses.
To your advice, I have an attachment point already, on my handguard/fore-stock but it is on the side (as forward as possible.) Thee point where many GI-standard loops normally dangle is not available for a sling. Since my railing extends a couple of inches further forward than most ARs, I wonder if this will work.

Ah, the finer issues of really maximizing our equipment for purpose and for accuracy!
Old 10-01-2014, 8:26 AM

Default take it apart - try this instead. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Yeah, it's sort of interesting, you get it all slinged up and pretty and then the first part is OK, take that back part off and here's how it goes on your arm...
Yes Eljay,
You have essentially hit my concern directly on the head of the nail . . . I have at least a month to rectify and optimize some equipment (and will probably borrow a friend's 10/22 as some instructors suggest for Sat-AM drills) but that loaner is not a certainty and still I have ordered Tech-Sites and swivels for that firearm, which I don't own ;-)
I am trying to learn more and hear reasons for what configurations that seem to work best for A.S. and not show up in November with equipment that needs an additional 30-mins of adjustments. Equipment changes can only cut into the meatiest part of the event, and range time (after a safety discussion) is Golden.
Old 10-01-2014, 1:12 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynPb View Post
I appreciate your quick responses.
To your advice, I have an attachment point already, on my handguard/fore-stock but it is on the side (as forward as possible.) Thee point where many GI-standard loops normally dangle is not available for a sling. Since my railing extends a couple of inches further forward than most ARs, I wonder if this will work.

Ah, the finer issues of really maximizing our equipment for purpose and for accuracy!
Well, you're probably going to want to attach it with the sling dangling, i.e., at the 6 o'clock position. There's probably an easy way to make a similar zip-tie temporary swivel, such as running it through the front sight block or through vents in your handguard.

If all else fails you can always just make a ring around the barrel and hook the sling to that. I've rigged a number of AR-15's like that over the years.

The problem with swivels on the side is that, once slung up tight, it introduces canting. For accuracy it is vitally important that your sights are vertical, otherwise your point of impact varies (a LOT) with minor changes in angle -- and you can't adjust the sights reliably to correct for this. If you don't sling up very tight you may be able to handle it, but maybe not.

Side-swivels are good enough for door-kicker rifles where 10 MOA accuracy is enough to get the job done. However, every one of my students will shoot better than that. We're going for 4 MOA, and that's a lot to ask while fighting the sling.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 10-02-2014, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

What he said.

Do you have any downward facing rail in front? There's all kinds of little quick disconnect swivels that attach to AR rails.
Old 10-03-2014, 9:06 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Pictures will be big. But this is a description on how I have used standard GI slings on current AR equipment.
So the sling moves from front connection support hand cross over to rear connection cross over.
This setup works with hasty and loop sling setups, but I only use the GI sling. I did recently see a non GI setup that kept a front a rear connection constant connection with a loop option ready to use, but I have not researched it enough or found the maker of the sling yet.

On the older ACS you need to use a Type III sling connection.

Using your option C does present an issue. The slot is not 100% wide enough (all the time) to fit the metal end of a GI sling. Also the buckle of a USGI sling will slip off of opened to much.

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

Last edited by pennys dad; 10-03-2014 at 9:13 AM..
Old 10-07-2014, 6:31 PM

Thanks for all the answers:
Eljay - yes, I found several swivel attachment options. I have one that is essentially a 360deg-QD solution (surprisingly small) as well as a rail-mounted, up/down hinged, 1.5in, loop that I expect most GI-M4's would have.
Rocket - I found a quick-instal, slightly more kosher way to use the C-location, based on your Zip-tie idea.
Dad-of-Penny - I am right-hand on trigger & left hand up front. So is your recommendation to use (like your pictures) anchor to right side of buttstock and left side of fore-stock? Several people suggested that the front location should be at 6-o-clock to locate sling. And should that front anchor be able to to/fro swing just 90degrees or is a 360(in another axis) full rotation a liability or a good feature??
I apologize for all of the questions, but there are SO Many options and I have both an M4 & 10/22 so if the same GI-sling will work with both of these - - well all the better. Both of these carbines have an unusually large pool of aftermarket parts. Maybe I am only confusing the topic with too much online shopping.
;-)
-Thanks once more
Old 10-08-2014, 1:41 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

AR15/22 Rail option

Sorry my picture was one sided.

(Support Hand) - Left hand
(Trigger Hand) - Right hand

Do a cross over "Right side" QD swivel plug to left side ACS QD swivel plug.
or
Use 6 o'clock on front rail.

For me, I found the extra metal needed to hold the QD swivel at the 6 o'clock hold uncomfortable, by using the "Right side" QD swivel plug I found it solved the comfort issue.

Remember this is for a hasty sling, the loop sling will work the same way at the butt stock connection.

Also I found the sling maker. It is a 2 point sling made with a 3 point sling concept.
https://rifle-craft.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynPb View Post
Dad-of-Penny - I am right-hand on trigger & left hand up front. So is your recommendation to use (like your pictures) anchor to right side of buttstock and left side of fore-stock? Several people suggested that the front location should be at 6-o-clock to locate sling. And should that front anchor be able to to/fro swing just 90degrees or is a 360(in another axis) full rotation a liability or a good feature??
I apologize for all of the questions, but there are SO Many options and I have both an M4 & 10/22 so if the same GI-sling will work with both of these - - well all the better. Both of these carbines have an unusually large pool of aftermarket parts. Maybe I am only confusing the topic with too much online shopping.
;-)
-Thanks once more

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.