Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 08-10-2015, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Springfield M1A LTR?

Hello Appleseeders,

I just signed up for the Kingman Arizona KD Appleseed shoot in October and I’m planning on using my Loaded Springfield M1A.

I know what goes into building a 10/22 LTR but how about an M1A LTR for distances out to 500 meters?

I’ve already got a GI style sling on order and I’m looking around for a new stock because the synthetic stocks LOP doesn’t feel right to me.

Are there other things I should change or modify on my M1A for better performance and reliability? My rifle is pretty much brand new (only fired ~80 rounds through it) and I’m just not familiar enough the M14/M1A platform to know essential changes that should be done.

This will be first KD with a center fire rifle, for those of you that have done KD's in the past would you mind sharing any helpful tips?

Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Paseclipse; 08-10-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM

Your rifle will do good, right out of the box
A bedded stock is a plus. You might practice your mag changes so you can do it smoothly. Sighting in at 100:200:300 and 400yds before the shoot will give you a leg up knowing your sight settings for each distance for the ammo your using. You might also try some different ammo to see which works the best in your rifle - my rifle prefers the expensive ammo, of course
I used a scope on my M1a when I did the KD - old eyes sometimes have difficulty focusing on the front sight. I scored 237 on my KD with a perfect score at 400yds. They are very accurate rifles
Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2015, 6:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info huck.

What scope and mount did you use? I've thought about getting one but I just haven't spent the time researching a good scope for M1A's.

For ammo, I'm planning on using Federal XM80CL since I have a decent amount on hand. I do reload and eventually I'd like to spend some time working up a good load for my M1A, but right now I just don't have enough bullets, brass, powder, and time to do it.
Old 08-10-2015, 7:27 PM

Irons are the way to go with an M1-A.
find ammo it likes and buy a bunch or work up a good handload.
Dry fire at home and practice at the range from position if you can, work on your position.
Make sure the sights are not loose and the action locks up tight in the stock.
Make sure you have reliable mags that shoot the same point of impact.
Show up at least with a good 100 yd zero.
Take a log book and record all sight adjustments. (I write them on a piece of blue painters tape on the butstock).
A good shooting coat and mat helps a ton.

It seems to me that the M1-A is the perfect appleseed rifle.
You will have a blast.
Post a pic of your giant rifleman patch when you get it.
Good luck!

pg

Last edited by polygunner; 08-10-2015 at 7:30 PM..
Old 08-10-2015, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK. I'm confused. The appleseed I did was shot at about 30M with targets sized to emulate the longer distances.

I didn't like it so much.

Are Appleseeds normally done at full ranges?
Old 08-10-2015, 8:04 PM

No, you went to a typical appleseed.
Some of the events have a longer distance available and sometimes will shoot a known distance appleseed.
1, 2, 3, and 4 hundred yards.
Sometimes it's a KD weekend and sometimes it's only on the second day of a regular Appleseed event.
Look at the appleseed event schedule on the website to see if there is one near you.

pg
Old 08-10-2015, 8:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by polygunner View Post
Irons are the way to go with an M1-A.
find ammo it likes and buy a bunch or work up a good handload.
Dry fire at home and practice at the range from position if you can, work on your position.
Make sure the sights are not loose and the action locks up tight in the stock.
Make sure you have reliable mags that shoot the same point of impact.
Show up at least with a good 100 yd zero.
Take a log book and record all sight adjustments. (I write them on a piece of blue painters tape on the butstock).
A good shooting coat and mat helps a ton.

It seems to me that the M1-A is the perfect appleseed rifle.
You will have a blast.
Post a pic of your giant rifleman patch when you get it.
Good luck!

pg
Excellent tips Poly, thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
OK. I'm confused. The appleseed I did was shot at about 30M with targets sized to emulate the longer distances.

I didn't like it so much.

Are Appleseeds normally done at full ranges?
Nick you've probably done a regular Appleseed which is shot at 25 meters with scaled down targets. We're discussing the Known Distance Appleseeds where you shoot out to 500 meters with full size targets- http://www.appleseedinfo.org/kd-appleseed.html

I've done a couple Rimfire KD's out to 100 yards at Burro and they're a lot of fun, but I figure this is the next step with Appleseed. I'm really looking forward to shooting this one!!

Last edited by Paseclipse; 08-10-2015 at 9:29 PM..
Old 08-10-2015, 8:21 PM
CGSSA Leader

Very few ranges have 400m available to us -- it's also much, much slower. This is why we practice at 25m most of the time. The same techniques apply.

There is a such thing as an M1A LTR -- it's called a Garand.

All kidding aside, M1 GI sling, stock irons, you should be good to go... The hardest part of it in my opinion is getting comfortable with the magazine changes.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 08-10-2015, 9:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Very few ranges have 400m available to us -- it's also much, much slower. This is why we practice at 25m most of the time. The same techniques apply.

There is a such thing as an M1A LTR -- it's called a Garand.

All kidding aside, M1 GI sling, stock irons, you should be good to go... The hardest part of it in my opinion is getting comfortable with the magazine changes.
Darn you Ryan, you just HAD to drop the Garand comment in there huh? lol The thought has crossed my mind to use my Garand but I figure the M1A mag changes will be much faster.

Now you've got me thinking... which is a bad thing!
Old 08-11-2015, 1:48 AM

I am taking my Garand. I picked up some 2 and 5 round clips in addition to the numerous 8 rounders I already have.
I just have to get my thumb ready - I know at some point I will get bit
Old 08-11-2015, 7:05 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
Darn you Ryan, you just HAD to drop the Garand comment in there huh? lol The thought has crossed my mind to use my Garand but I figure the M1A mag changes will be much faster.
Yeah, mean of me... All things being equal I'd rather use an M1A on an RFAQT, where the larger magazine capacity is a factor, but it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line, use the system you're more familiar with. Whatever gets you deeper into the Rifleman's Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jones View Post
I am taking my Garand. I picked up some 2 and 5 round clips in addition to the numerous 8 rounders I already have.
I just have to get my thumb ready - I know at some point I will get bit
Never been bit... Get into the habit of inserting en-blocs with your thumb while blocking the charging handle with the side of your hand near your pinky finger. Works every time.

Old 08-11-2015, 7:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info Pase & Poly.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, mean of me... All things being equal I'd rather use an M1A on an RFAQT, where the larger magazine capacity is a factor, but it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line, use the system you're more familiar with. Whatever gets you deeper into the Rifleman's Bubble

Ryan do you know if mag changes are required on all AQT’s (including KD) or do we do them here in Cali because we’re limited to ten round mags? I’m working off the assumption that mag changes will be included on the KD AQT’s.

Probably the biggest reason why I’m leaning towards using the M1A instead of a Garand is because I’ve spent time training with AK’s. The action and mag changes are close enough I feel could quickly adapt without giving it much thought. That… and I just don’t have as much 30-06 ammo as I do .308. lol

Last edited by Paseclipse; 08-11-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Old 08-11-2015, 2:04 PM

I believe the reason for the mag change is to make you regain your NPOA and not just a small shift
a chance to try and break the "bubble"

The 2 & 8 are a hold -over from the days when the AQT was shot using the Garand - I would assume any mag change would break your concentration/ position
Old 08-11-2015, 8:26 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Ryan do you know if mag changes are required on all AQT’s (including KD) or do we do them here in Cali because we’re limited to ten round mags? I’m working off the assumption that mag changes will be included on the KD AQT’s.
Having a greater-than 10-round-mag won't help you anywhere, even on an RFAQT. There's no stage that requires more than ten rounds, and we don't want you doing transitions with a loaded rifle.

For KD it varies but the 2/8 loading is still standard on Stage II and III. The differences between KD AQT and QDAQT are (1) you don't shift between targets -- all four stages are against a single silhouette; and (2) the Rifleman score is 200 instead of 210.

Quote:
Probably the biggest reason why I’m leaning towards using the M1A instead of a Garand is because I’ve spent time training with AK’s. The action and mag changes are close enough I feel could quickly adapt without giving it much thought. That… and I just don’t have as much 30-06 ammo as I do .308. lol
Those are good reasons. As for me I have only a few hundred rounds through AKs and I like my Garand better -- it is, in fact, my favorite firearm -- so my choice is clear. But again, the "best" rifle is the one that helps you get into the bubble the most. It is a mental game.

Old 08-12-2015, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Having a greater-than 10-round-mag won't help you anywhere, even on an RFAQT. There's no stage that requires more than ten rounds, and we don't want you doing transitions with a loaded rifle.

For KD it varies but the 2/8 loading is still standard on Stage II and III. The differences between KD AQT and QDAQT are (1) you don't shift between targets -- all four stages are against a single silhouette; and (2) the Rifleman score is 200 instead of 210.

Those are good reasons. As for me I have only a few hundred rounds through AKs and I like my Garand better -- it is, in fact, my favorite firearm -- so my choice is clear. But again, the "best" rifle is the one that helps you get into the bubble the most. It is a mental game.
I figured you still had to do the 2/8 loading in stages II and III.

Thanks for the info Ryan!