Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 02-02-2015, 5:16 AM

Default Corona Appleseed, what rifle can I bring from AZ?

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum, but have have gained a lot of information from reading here over the years, so thank you. I currently live in Arizona, but I'm originally from orange county California, and I still have family there. I plane to attend the upcoming Corona , CA Appleseed event with my Father and Son, who Joined the Air Force, and will be going to boot camp mid March. I need some help with choice of rifle, and magazine combo that is California (with all of the nonsensical laws) friendly? here are the 4 rifles I have to choose from: (remember I need three Father, Myself, Son)

Two Ruger 10/22's with 4X32 Scopes, 1 - 10 round and 1 - 25 round (BX-25) magazines for each rifle.

S&W M&P 15 Sport, with 1.5 - 6 X 40 Scope, and flip up peep sights (MBUS rear A2 post front) with adjustable LOP stock, 16" 1 in 9" twist barrel with 22LR conversion bolt and 2 - 15 round, and 3 - 25 round magazines. (I have not shot this rifle with the bolt conversation yet, so I'm not sure how accurate it will be?)

ISSC MK22 (this is a Gen 2 with issues fixed) with flip up peep sights, 2 - 22 round magazines, adjustable LOP and folding stock.

I have a second part to my question, I would like any thoughts about what rifles to use from a qualifying for the Rifleman patch perspective, my best AQT score at the Kingman, AZ Appleseed back in November was 192 and my Son in the 150 range with both 10/22's malfunctioning on every AQT. I think the issues I was having was due to the Ammo (Blazer lead bulk ammo, my Ruger's seem to like HV copper washed ammo), and maybe the very dusty and windy conditions did not help as the actions got very dirty very fast.
Ammo I have 1000 rounds of Federal Game-Shok 22 Long Rifle High Velocity 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose, and trying to find more similar ammo.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking."
Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-02-2015, 5:25 AM

No mags over 10 rounds.

The 10/22 and M&P 15 are both capable of Rifleman scores if you do your part.

Not familiar with the MK22.
Old 02-02-2015, 6:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just shot rifleman with an almost stock 10/22 with blazer. Shoot whatever your rifle likes.

No mags over 10 rounds. You'll want a second 10 round mag as well.
Old 02-02-2015, 6:40 AM

Thanks Guys, although I do remember reading about a provision, That would allow an out of state resident to attend a firearms training class, using there out of state normal capacity magazines. I'm not sure if that is still on the books, and if Appleseed would qualify? Also about the blazer ammo, I'm not sure that was the first time I tried it, and it was 6 or 7 years old. I did change the extractor out for a volquartsen hoping that, and copper washed ammo would help.

Last edited by JayMax-AZ; 02-02-2015 at 6:41 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 02-02-2015, 6:49 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMax-AZ View Post
Thanks Guys, although I do remember reading about a provision, That would allow an out of state resident to attend a firearms training class, using there out of state normal capacity magazines. I'm not sure if that is still on the books, and if Appleseed would qualify? Also about the blazer ammo, I'm not sure that was the first time I tried it, and it was 6 or 7 years old. I did change the extractor out for a volquartsen hoping that, and copper washed ammo would help.
nope, there is no such provision now, nor do I think there ever was. there are provisions for Assault Weapons and .50BMG rifles to be imported for training, with strict limitations, but that does not extend to large cap mags.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-02-2015, 7:05 AM

ok looks like I'm buying some 10 round mags for the 10/22 and M&P 15, thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Corona AAR up over at Appleseed

They posted the After Action Report here on the Appleseed site.

Did you make it to the shoot? How did it go?