Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-22-2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I have just the opposite, two higgins 12ga grandpa's and dad's and a few years ago bought a wards western field model 60 16ga which is a savage model 620a.. saved it from police turn in for destruction

not mine but looks like this..

for some reason store brand guns have less market value than the manufacturer brand guns.. I find the store brands more nostalgic since I remember seeing them on the the shelves at sears, wards, coast to coast, western auto, etc.. and for all intents and purposes are the same guns except for the rollmarks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
I have the same exact shotgun... mine has a jeweled bolt. Itís my favorite and shoots just as well if not better than my friends with their new shotguns. The pump release is fantastic.

Though, mine is currently stripped down to bare minimum awaiting a TiN plating
Popular full take down (mag tube comes off with the barrel) American shotguns are pretty much limited to the Winchester Model 1897 and Model 12 and the Stevens Model 520/520A/620/620A series. General sentiment is massively more in favor of the better finished Winchester guns, however the Stevens spline take down system beats the hell out of the much weaker Winchester interrupted thread design.

That said, here's a chance at a decent Stevens 520A (marked Westernfield) currently up for grabs on Broke Gunner at a reasonable price. Note that the variable choke is factory on this item, not a post sale modification.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859828953

This is a BIN item, not an auction, so the first valid "bid" wins. I have no relation to the seller, was interested in buying it myself, but just stumbled across a similar 520A at my LGS for a bit less $$$, given the shipping and receiving fees for the out of state GB shotgun. So ready, set, go! May the nimblest keyboard fingers win!!!
Old 03-22-2020, 9:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would buy that now. The only issue is after FFL fees, dros and shipping it's going to be double the price.
Old 03-23-2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I would buy that now. The only issue is after FFL fees, dros and shipping it's going to be double the price.
Which is why I was so happy to come across an equivalent shotgun at my LGS for about $300 OTD. Still, $200 on GB isn't bad for a decent, uncut 520A, but only if you can get it with modest tax, shipping, FFL receiving fee and DROS. In Kaliforniastan this gun would have run me about $350 total, not too bad, but certainly not a steal. Note that 520As generally go for somewhat more than equal condition 520s and 620s.
Old 03-24-2020, 6:17 AM

Yeah the add ons kinda kill the deal,you go oh oh oh then ad it up and go UGH.
Old 03-24-2020, 7:57 AM

on the bright side, shopping on gunbroker et al., allows me to be more selective and most often much better pricing than local offerings..

and my local FFL dealer is barely 5 minutes from my house and only charges $60 OTD for out of state transfers..

much more convenient than any gun store.. I'd rather dive into a pool of razor blades soaked in alcohol than buy anything at turners..
Old 03-25-2020, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
200 Apples...

Way OT, but I've got a Coleman question...please check your PM's here.

Thanks

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 03-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Well I picked up the JC Higgins Model 20 pump 12 gauge shotgun on Friday March 27th, since Grundmans was open for business.

It is only chambered for 2 and 3/4 inch shells, and has a plug installed already in the tubular magazine limiting shells for waterfowl and hunting.

Here are some pics I just took this morning... That is a Calguns Chamber Flag in the pic, just to give a plug to Cant have nothing good and his excellent products/ plus to show it is not a pic snagged off of the internet somewhere.

A close up of the tubular magazine cutoff selector switch.

A close up of the compensator at the end of the barrel.

Lastly, a pic of the JC Higgins model 20 next to one of my Remington model 870s in 12 gauge for comparison.

I think that I got a deal on the JC Higgins model 20 pump shotgun chambered in 12 gauge for the price of $200 dollars plus DROS and tax. I did pick up a couple of boxes of non-lead water fowl shells in BB and #2 shot sizes for it on the same DROS - as if I did not have some already...

I did not have to buy a new lock for it, since I brought one with me along with a hard case to bring it home in. Plus they did not have me fill out a safe declaration either...