Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Only 6,213 People Registered AWs

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/exc...otal-disaster/

I was just interviewed by Guns America. I was shocked when Jordan told me that only 6213 people registered 13,519 firearms. That seemed amazingly low.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, Reformation, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Sounds like stats for 1 neighborhood in Los Angeles?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Probably all that cfars could handle before it shut down
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Makes it easier for DOJ.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:28 PM

The process was so difficult and time consuming that it certainly seemed to be discouraging registration:

Need computer
Need photos - keeping submitting and guess what is needed. Requiring additional ‘optional’ photos no t specified in regulations.
Unstable system kept crashing
Asking for data we were not required to keep (date of acquisition and FFL)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Nuggets View Post
Bwahahahahahahahaha.

Makes it easier for DOJ.
That was part of their plan. The fewer RAWs there are, the easier it is for them to claim that these firearms are not "in common use". Of course, they also like the fact that more otherwise law abiding gun owners are now risking felony charges and loosing their 2A rights forever. Those who choose not to register anything did exactly what the CA DOJ and the antis wanted them to do.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM

How many were eligible to register? I thought it was in the millions.

What happened to all those that didn't register? Were they made featureless, disassembled, moved out of state or just maintained in an illegal state?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/exc...otal-disaster/

I was just interviewed by Guns America. I was shocked when Jordan told me that only 6213 people registered 13,519 firearms. That seemed amazingly low.
That's not what the letter says.

As of June 30th, 2018 DOJ had finished processing 13,519 guns owned by 6,213 people.

At that point, they were still working on guns from April. We have no idea how many will follow over the months they spend getting through that backlog.

Note

Quote:
An application being processed is not considered "registered."

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-11-2018 at 1:09 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer46 View Post
How many were eligible to register? I thought it was in the millions.

What happened to all those that didn't register? Were they made featureless, disassembled, moved out of state or just maintained in an illegal state?

I can guarantee all of those happened. Sad part is going to be the innocent people affected by the last scenario.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM

From that data it says of those who registered they did 2 guns on average. I saw posts on here of guys registering 10, 20 or more which skews the average. So most people probably reg'd only one.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 PM

Good. Don’t register
Old 07-11-2018, 1:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And those 6k+ will end up in Jail when the DOJ decides it doesn’t like the pic you sent.

Old 07-11-2018, 1:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_romeo_XV View Post
From that data it says of those who registered they did 2 guns on average. I saw posts on here of guys registering 10, 20 or more which skews the average. So most people probably reg'd only one.
Maybe that is all they approve per person. I submitted about 10, and only 2 have been approved in writing. Incidentally, I find it interesting that all of them (including the 2 that have been approved) read "In Progress" on my transaction report.

Certainly the final number will go up, but I am surprised at how low the compliance was. Incidentally, I don't blame anyone for not registering. I only did so because, as a manufacturer, I'm already persona-non-grota in CA, and I can always make more.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the CSW, the Binary Firing System, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine, Reformation, and the New Rostered CA7 Pistol!
Old 07-11-2018, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry4130 View Post
I can guarantee all of those happened. Sad part is going to be the innocent people affected by the last scenario.
It is sad that there will be people that are not aware that will be caught. The good news is, unless there is a change in the way the law is enforced, the vast majority will never be caught. You just don't want to be the one that is caught.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer46 View Post
It is sad that there will be people that are not aware that will be caught. The good news is, unless there is a change in the way the law is enforced, the vast majority will never be caught. You just don't want to be the one that is caught.

True.

I wonder how this compares to the RAW registration in Connecticut from a few years ago?
Old 07-11-2018, 1:21 PM

Default Only 6,213 People Registered AWs

Not sure if it is an accurate measure but the difference in my cfars number from the Tuesday before the deadline to my buddy’s on 6/30 was over 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 1:24 PM

When everything is said and done thats roughly 1% compliance.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 07-11-2018, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Well not having a computer I guess should not be a problem. If they would have gone down to their local library with their gun and digital camera and done the uploads from there....wait I see what they did!

Last edited by damon1272; 07-11-2018 at 1:29 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
Maybe that is all they approve per person. I submitted about 10, and only 2 have been approved in writing. Incidentally, I find it interesting that all of them (including the 2 that have been approved) read "In Progress" on my transaction report.

Certainly the final number will go up, but I am surprised at how low the compliance was. Incidentally, I don't blame anyone for not registering. I only did so because, as a manufacturer, I'm already persona-non-grota in CA, and I can always make more.
I doubt that there's a limit to how many will be approved per person. If so it's unwritten and thus lawsuit material.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
When everything is said and done thats roughly 1% compliance.
I’d say that’s less then 1%, that’s a whole lot of Felons in California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

So, how can the dis-missive medieval bird in the library be inaccurate?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:54 PM

this has years of fighting to go. there are so many questions, appeals, lawsuits, and not knowing how the courts are going to judge infractions based on when the rifle was purchased that this won't be resolved in our lifetime. they could not force aftermarket products (smog) on cars from 1955 to 1965 in a lawsuit against Pat Brown. the only thing the state could force was that people could not take off factory equipment if it impacted smog levels. the same could be argued for rifles if those were originally cleared for sale (handgun roster, original rifle equipment from manufacturer and approved by the state, and before 2018). that fight has not even begun yet.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Only had one applicable to register, still haven't heard back yet. What I wonder about is that obviously there are records of sale from DROS that could be referenced if the CA DOJ really set their mind to it.

Doubt they have the resources to do so, but that's what nagged the back of my mind until I registered. I guess time will tell. Hopefully my move to Arizona is far behind me by then.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:07 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

This is pretty unreal news. Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted anything less than 50,000. I was thinking more like 100,000.

From the budget proposals, we know they expected 1.5 million from 250,000 owners. It doesn't seem possible now, even with the open applications, that they would get even a small fraction of what they expected.

It seems like less than 5% will have registered, which is far less than any other registration period. I don't know what to make of this. I doubt another 5-10% went featureless.

So now we potentially have hundreds and thousands of felons walking around- this might be beyond anything they can hope to process. Combined with their extremely complex and technical problem laden process this is heading towards complete disaster.

Thanks for the report Jay, I almost can't believe that KPIX story- it defies the idea that the media is biased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-11-2018, 2:15 PM

I ended up maglocking mine. I am a firm believer that registration leads to confiscation.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
This is pretty unreal news. Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted anything less than 50,000. I was thinking more like 100,000.

From the budget proposals, we know they expected 1.5 million from 250,000 owners. It doesn't seem possible now, even with the open applications, that they would get even a small fraction of what they expected.

It seems like less than 5% will have registered, which is far less than any other registration period. I don't know what to make of this. I doubt another 5-10% went featureless.

So now we potentially have hundreds and thousands of felons walking around- this might be beyond anything they can hope to process. Combined with their extremely complex and technical problem laden process this is heading towards complete disaster.

Thanks for the report Jay, I almost can't believe that KPIX story- it defies the idea that the media is biased.
this is about 10% the previous registration period right? The regulations did their job regardless of outcome. I'm sure CADOJ is happy that reopening registration turned in to one small blip on the radar. Though it begs the question about future enforcement wherein the vast majority of people were probably never aware they were made felons.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So 13,000+ registrations crashed the CFARS system? Some body made some big $$$ on that inept software program.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:25 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
this is about 10% the previous registration period right? The regulations did their job regardless of outcome. I'm sure CADOJ is happy that reopening registration turned in to one small blip on the radar. Though it begs the question about future enforcement wherein the vast majority of people were probably never aware they were made felons.
I believe 150,000 registered in total in the 1989, 2000/01 periods.
Quote:
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 07-11-2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Only had one applicable to register, still haven't heard back yet. What I wonder about is that obviously there are records of sale from DROS that could be referenced if the CA DOJ really set their mind to it.

Doubt they have the resources to do so, but that's what nagged the back of my mind until I registered. I guess time will tell. Hopefully my move to Arizona is far behind me by then.
Having a dros'd lower gets them nowhere. I have a dros'd lower--and a featureless rifle. Moreover, even if your rifle is in a currently illegal configuration, according to DOJ regs, having the upper and lower separated means it is not an "assault weapon." Put the two of these concepts together, and there is no probable cause of an arrest. The police have to catch you using or possessing an illegal firearm pursuant to a valid search.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not surprised at all....

Am surprised a little that anyone is surprised.

Some sound disappointed...that's not surprising.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I believe 150,000 registered in total in the 1989, 2000/01 periods.
And that was with TV ads, newspaper ads, and all you had to was submit a postcard?

The regulations acted as suppression.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:31 PM
Veteran Member

I only resisgisred bull pups so I could take the stupid barrel extensions off.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Good!!!
Old 07-11-2018, 2:38 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNorthern View Post

Some sound disappointed...that's not surprising.
I am glad, I want their ridiculous system to fail, in that sense it's good news.

It's bad news for potentially many people when they are staring at a felony conviction. At least in the short term.
Quote:

Old 07-11-2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH 7.62 View Post
And those 6k+ will end up in Jail when the DOJ decides it doesn’t like the pic you sent.
Oh come on.
Old 07-11-2018, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FOIA request should have asked for “total registered, submitted applications, remaining pending applications, total payments made, total denied applications”.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old 07-11-2018, 2:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular guy View Post
Oh come on.
I agree.

I was a repeat offender spaz on the pics and they were pretty patient while I corrected my errors.

Javier Becerra may be the Devil, the Legislature is for sure, but rank-and-file DOJ has always been courteous and professional with me. I do not like the jobs they are tasked to do, but that does not mean they are out to get anybody. Or put is in jail for crappy pictures.
Old 07-11-2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
I agree.

I was a repeat offender spaz on the pics and they were pretty patient while I corrected my errors.

Javier Becerra may be the Devil, the Legislature is for sure, but rank-and-file DOJ has always been courteous and professional with me. I do not like the jobs they are tasked to do, but that does not mean they are out to get anybody. Or put is in jail for crappy pictures.
Calling Bacerra satan is giving him too much credit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 3:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wonder how many they have backlogged... and for how long
Old 07-11-2018, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty sure DOJ is tickled pink knowing that they can now go after anyone who didnt register, charge them with a felony, add them to APPS and strip them of their rights for life. Potentially being able to take the guns and gun rights away from the majority of CA gun owners. They will probably set up some kind of streamlined process where you can plea to have your rights removed in exchange for no prison time. Still looking at being a convicted felon for life though. Kind of hard to find a job in this day and age with a felony conviction, especially for possessing a scary "assault weapon". I hope most people didnt register because they went featureless or maglocked but I doubt everyone got the memo.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 07-11-2018 at 3:44 PM..