Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-08-2018, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Snowflake Calls 911 after inadvertent gun exposure

Scenario: wind exposes gun. Snowflake sees gun, screams gun and calls 911. Should one get ahead of the curve, call 911, give name, description, location, description of "incident' and patiently await arrival of LE?
Old 07-08-2018, 7:37 PM

meh, just walk/drive away. no law was broken. Of course, I'm not a cop, or a lawyer though
Old 07-08-2018, 7:48 PM
Seņor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Recommendation from my IA:
If we BELIEVE that we may have exposed and been identified, immediately call the LOCAL police non-emergency number and explain the situation.
Notify IA when convenient if nothing becomes of it, otherwise, notify IA following IA policy of notification following citation or arrest.

You ALWAYS want to be the first one on the phone to the cops if there is a situation where you believe someone may be calling them on you, be it accidental exposure, intentional drawing, or a defensive shooting.

My instructor related a situation that was similar to your question. Someone observed a person carrying at a gas station (wife and 2 kids in the car). Captain heard the radio call and immediately assumed it was a legal carrier.
Guy got in his car and left, person who called it in obviously got plate and vehicle description.
He was subjected to a felony stop procedure several blocks away... yup... lie down on the pavement in the desert on a hot day.
Yes, he was legally carrying.

Don't know if the wind blew his shirt up, or if his shirt pulled up while he was cleaning his windows... No clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 07-08-2018, 8:28 PM

Would only make sense to get ahead of the curve on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 8:37 PM

Why not wait around for law enforcement and insist they file against the snowflake for a false report?
Old 07-08-2018, 8:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like the idea of calling the non-emergency number provided the information will get to the car rolling on the idiot's call. I don't like the idea of a non-emergency call to the emergency number, but the felony stop scenario is unappealing.
Old 07-08-2018, 9:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Don’t give that kind of power to snowflakes. Just go about your business, living your life as a free American and a law-abiding citizen.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Recommendation from my IA:
If we BELIEVE that we may have exposed and been identified, immediately call the LOCAL police non-emergency number and explain the situation.
Notify IA when convenient if nothing becomes of it, otherwise, notify IA following IA policy of notification following citation or arrest.

You ALWAYS want to be the first one on the phone to the cops if there is a situation where you believe someone may be calling them on you, be it accidental exposure, intentional drawing, or a defensive shooting.

My instructor related a situation that was similar to your question. Someone observed a person carrying at a gas station (wife and 2 kids in the car). Captain heard the radio call and immediately assumed it was a legal carrier.
Guy got in his car and left, person who called it in obviously got plate and vehicle description.
He was subjected to a felony stop procedure several blocks away... yup... lie down on the pavement in the desert on a hot day.
Yes, he was legally carrying.

Don't know if the wind blew his shirt up, or if his shirt pulled up while he was cleaning his windows... No clue.
I don't know if I'd call the local PD non-emergency number just because I think I *may* have been exposed/noticed. That seems like an overly cautious reaction, especially in my area where chances are that nobody would even care if they saw it.

However, if I *know* I have been exposed/noticed, and I think the person who noticed might call the police about it, then yes I would absolutely call the local PD non-emergency number and let them know what's going on.

Hypothetical example:

I'm in Walmart, and reach up to grab something from the top shelf. Instantly realize my gun became exposed, and I look around and see 20 other people in the aisle, any of whom *might* have seen it, but none of them seem concerned about it. I would NOT call the local PD in that scenario.

However, in the OP's example of someone shouting "GUN!" and calling 911, then yes, I would absolutely call the local PD non-emergency number and explain to them, "Hi, so I have a concealed carry permit, and the wind blew my shirt up and may have accidentally exposed my weapon, and someone freaked out and appears to be calling 911 about it. If you'd like, I'd be happy to wait here and explain this to the responding officer, I just wanted to make him or her aware of my valid concealed carry permit in advance of their arrival."

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 07-11-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
Scenario: wind exposes gun. Snowflake sees gun, screams gun and calls 911. Should one get ahead of the curve, call 911, give name, description, location, description of "incident' and patiently await arrival of LE?
Yes, Call the cops if you know someone has called, get ahead of it, give your name and description, you are CCW and explain the situation, let them know you will be out front. Also try to be first to make contact with the officers, not the guy that called on you.

You need to try to defuse things right away by calling the police and maybe their dispatch will relay to the responding officers know whats up. Otherwise the guy can have the cops thinking they are responding to a nut waving a gun around.

If you know the cops have been called I would not just walk away. The guy will say you ran off and make it look even worse for you.

That is why if someone that works a business sees your CCW and tells you guns not allowed and you have to leave, you ask them before you leave if they called the cops. If No then you can go, if yes, I would call the cops right away and again get ahead of things, you do not know what the guy that called on you said, what he made up, exaggerated etc.

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-11-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I seem to remember a story from several years ago, you guys might remember the details better.

But a guy was in a Costco I think it was, maybe with someone or family.

I guess he accidently exposed his CCW when reaching and an employee saw it, called 911, said there was a guy with a gun in the store.

Cops show up, employee points the guy out "Thats Him!". Cops with guns drawn yell at the guy (turn around or what ever) Guy is like WTF?! Not knowing what is going on and I guess the cops did not like the way he moved and opened up on him, killing the guy.

He never knew what hit him or why.
Old 07-11-2018, 1:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
I seem to remember a story from several years ago, you guys might remember the details better.

I guess he accidently exposed his CCW when reaching and an employee saw it, called 911, said there was a guy with a gun in the store.

Cops show up, employee points the guy out "Thats Him!". Cops with guns drawn yell at the guy (turn around or what ever) Guy is like WTF?! Not knowing what is going on and I guess the cops did not like the way he moved and opened up on him, killing the guy.

This is the incident you reference and it turned out that while some claimed the man didn't pull a gun it seems pretty clear that he did pull and failed to get down on the ground as commanded by police.
https://calguns.net/calgunforum/show...20#post5059320

Last edited by Chewy65; 07-11-2018 at 1:54 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 2:52 PM

Stuff like this can happen and it has. My objective is to not let it happen to me. Keep it concealed brother.
Old 07-11-2018, 7:04 PM
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post

There was a LOT more to it than that.
He was putting water bottles in and taking them out of his backpack "to see if they fit"
An employee told him that he could not carry a gun in the store.
He told the employee that he could because he had a Texas license.
Various reports indicated that he was behaving "erratically".
Cops confronted him as he exited the store, they shouted conflicting instructions including "hands on your head" and "drop the gun"
He apparently decided to retrieve the gun in order to drop it, and one of the officers opened fire.

He knew what hit him, and why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.