Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

If anyone is interested...

Home Depot sells ham radio antenna gear on their website for low prices. You can have it shipped to your local store for free.

I just got a TRAM magnetic NMO mount for $23.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tram-5-5...267R/300026068

Other TRAM stuff:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/tram?NCNI-5

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 06-08-2018, 8:24 PM
Veteran Member

I like to get a technician license . which study book would you recommend ?
Old 06-09-2018, 6:30 AM

I used the study material from ARRL for all of my testing.
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Ham-Ra...ion-Softcover/
It looks as though they are changing the question pool on July 1, 2018, so the above will be good for taking the test after that date.
Good luck!
Old 06-09-2018, 6:52 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

July 14 in Hollister

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2018, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

thanks . Ill try to see if there's closer classes . I also found some youtube vids as well .
Old 07-07-2018, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tag
Old 07-11-2018, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone actively using scanners to listen to local LE and Fire, particularly in Orange County? I have one that I used to use back in the 90s, even received the old analog cellular stuff which was very interesting. I actually listened to the entire OJ white Bronco chase on that one. Of course, that thing is a lot less useful with all the newer digital trunking systems used these days.

I also have a handheld Icom scanner that I used in Iraq and Afghanistan...somewhere. Both of those radios are in boxes somewhere within the black hole of my garage. I have newer amateur rigs that can scan and rec the same bands, plus I have a couple of SDRs that I mess with sometimes, so I haven't felt the need to go exploring to find those two units.

I'd really like to get a new dedicated scanner capable of receiving the digital trunking systems that are being used now. Any info and radio recommendations would be appreciated, including just info about what can even be listened to these days or what cannot, due to being encrypted or whatever.

Old 07-11-2018, 7:58 AM

Default Scanners

Abu, here is a link to scanner reviews you can sort the columns newest to oldest.

https://www.eham.net/reviews/products/25
Old 07-12-2018, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Riyah View Post
Anyone actively using scanners to listen to local LE and Fire, particularly in Orange County? I have one that I used to use back in the 90s, even received the old analog cellular stuff which was very interesting. I actually listened to the entire OJ white Bronco chase on that one. Of course, that thing is a lot less useful with all the newer digital trunking systems used these days.

I also have a handheld Icom scanner that I used in Iraq and Afghanistan...somewhere. Both of those radios are in boxes somewhere within the black hole of my garage. I have newer amateur rigs that can scan and rec the same bands, plus I have a couple of SDRs that I mess with sometimes, so I haven't felt the need to go exploring to find those two units.

I'd really like to get a new dedicated scanner capable of receiving the digital trunking systems that are being used now. Any info and radio recommendations would be appreciated, including just info about what can even be listened to these days or what cannot, due to being encrypted or whatever.

Iím using 5-0 Radio Pro Apps on my Iphone and Ipad... you can listen to any police comm nationwide and worldwide too..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2018, 9:33 PM

AA6GA, Extra Class, Auburn, CA.

I also operate from Reno, NV as AA6GA/7.

Ham since the mid 1960's.

I work HF CW ONLY.

Mostly on 80-30M.

-Don-

Last edited by DonTom; 07-24-2018 at 9:51 AM.. Reason: to subcribe, not edit.
Old 08-04-2018, 4:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Amateur Extra here.

Primarily a UHF/VHF.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 08-05-2018, 4:00 AM

Guys please remember that if you publish your call sign, your giving up way to much information and privacy!

kk6###
Old 08-05-2018, 6:16 AM

Technician

KK6***
Yaesu FT 2900
Icom 2300H
Yaesu FT 60R
CRPA Member
Old 08-05-2018, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1881 View Post
Guys please remember that if you publish your call sign, your giving up way to much information and privacy!

kk6###
I don't worry about it. I am not a very private person. But yeah, I realize it gives my address (just one of my three!) and everything away to anybody who knows how to look up the info.

73, -Don- AA6GA Lone Rock, UT (on RV trip)
Old 08-05-2018, 8:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

kk6###
It is public information and so you really should consider using a mailing address, such as a post office box. This is especially true if you get a license plate with your callsign.

So do you consider when using your callsign on the radio that you are giving up way too much information and privacy? If so, why do you have a license?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-05-2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
It is public information and so you really should consider using a mailing address, such as a post office box. This is especially true if you get a license plate with your callsign.

So do you consider when using your callsign on the radio that you are giving up way too much information and privacy? If so, why do you have a license?
Do you have a license?

I'm not worried about the HAM community!
Old 08-05-2018, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Do you have a license?

I do. Every time I say my callsign, people I might not even know are listening get that info. You donít even have to go to the fcc, if you google the call sign the first hit is the personís name and mailing address.

We use a P.O. box, so they canít come knocking, but I donít see the big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-05-2018, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do you have a license?

Yes. If you are worried, then don't mention it at all. To give a partial call sign is a joke.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-05-2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
What is it, or who is it, that you do worry about?

Those who are not hams, most likely wouldn't even know what info. you can get from a callsign.

BTW, I can watch all three of my houses from here. They also have an alarm each. While there may be some things I am carefull with, my ham radio callsign is not one of them.

73, -Don- AA6GA/7 Lake Powell, UT
Old 08-25-2018, 6:06 PM

Post Ham Radio Operators team up with C.E.R.T.

Just stumbled upon this forum! Been an Extra Class ham radio operator, N6*** for quite a few years. Radios run the gamut: 2 meter, 1.25 meter, 70 centimeter via Yaesu, Alinco and ICOM; 160 meters thru 10 meters, via ICOM 775DSP. Hooked up to a 204' dipole, up about 50' fiberglass mast. Also XYL and I are F.E.M.A. instructors for DHS's C.E.R.T. program.

The "Community Emergency Response Team" is a community resource and educational organization; many are 501 c-3, or staffed by your fire department. In some areas of California, the "academy" takes about seven weeks to teach. In our part of San Diego, we're teaching from Friday thru Sunday...8 hours each day. We find that dragging it out 7 weeks hurts attendance. Wife and I teach disaster preparedness, the first module in the Academy. If you are the least bit interested, here is the link: https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team

We all must ask ourselves, "...could my family take care of themselves for 3 to 7 days after an emergency, if I weren't there? Is my home prepared with food, water, meds...everything necessary to sustain them for that long?" In the City of San Diego, there are about 1.4 million residents...and about 1,300 firefighter/paramedics. In the County of San Diego, the number of residents is 3.3 million... You can also swing by your local fire station for class dates, times and more info.

Our fire chief is a cheerleader for CERT. We're a small community in the mountains of San Diego County. [We got mountains!]. Partaking of these f-r-e-e classes, you learn how to care for yourself FIRST, family, then your community in a disaster scenario, i.e. wildfire, earthquake, pandemic, etc. This takes a tremendous responsibility load off of the first responders.

Lastly, while you're thinking about all this, download this app on your phone: Pulsepoint. You can save a life with your knowledge of CPR. Thank you.

Living in California is like sitting on a keg of dynamite with the fuse lit, and not knowing how long the fuse is...

Vry 73 de Lon C.

Last edited by Lon C.; 08-25-2018 at 7:03 PM..
Old 08-29-2018, 1:30 PM

I am a fairly new Ham. Passes my Tech last November. I have a pair or BF UV-5rs with upgraded antennas.

Poking around the inter webs I found a CHIRP program file for the UV5R from Gordon West and they have a couple of preprogrammed stations for earthquakes.

BARN EQ 447.54
QUAKES 446.90

Does anyone know if they are still operating? How it works?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:28 PM

Location: Up in the hills, above the beach in the foggy redwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prwterbird View Post
I am a fairly new Ham. Passes my Tech last November. I have a pair or BF UV-5rs with upgraded antennas.

Poking around the inter webs I found a CHIRP program file for the UV5R from Gordon West and they have a couple of preprogrammed stations for earthquakes.

BARN EQ 447.54
QUAKES 446.90

Does anyone know if they are still operating? How it works?
I have no clue here on the North Coast, since those UHF frequencies are line of sight, and they may be in SoCal.

Here is a link to a somewhat complete list of all amateur radio Repeater Frequencies in California. Look for what is listed for your area...

https://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/...ate=California