Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-12-2013, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default CCW - LASD/Hawthorne

Any LASD Leo's here I have a question in your opinion since this is L.A. I was shot at a few years back in Wilmington I was also present at an armed robbery in a Hawthorne restaurant, it took Hawthorn PD 45 min. To show up and I've had my life threatened in the past. Is this sufficient good cause for a CCW in Los Angeles since I have a small child I'd like to know I can defend my family.

Last edited by pigpen66m; 02-12-2013 at 8:52 AM..
Old 02-12-2013, 9:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Situations which occurred years ago IMHO would not be relevant to "good cause" for a CCW today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:21 AM

GOOD LUCK GETTING A CCW IN L.A.C
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM
In Memoriam

If you live in Hawthorne, check with Hawthorne PD. LA County is very hard to get a CCW.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought Hawthorne used the LASD for CCW's.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Some cities will tell you that if you live in the city, you have to apply with them first and then they will reject you and then you can go to the Sheriff's. Not sure if that is what Hawthorne told you though, but yeah, good luck in LA County, unless you are a generous benefactor to certain charities.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:55 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I will go further than Ron's statement as I also worked for the dept.. You will not obtain a ccw from Sheriff Baca. In an interview some years ago (on you tube, but I can no longer find it), he was asked how many ccw permits had been given in the County. He said just less than 500 and he thought that was reasonable. The population in the County is around 10 million, so you can see that is a rather low percentage of the population and very unreasonable IMO.

The majority are given to retired ADAs, judges, celebrities and those who have donated money to his campaign. You do not have a chance at all IMHO.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I will go further than Ron's statement as I also worked for the dept.. You will not obtain a ccw from Sheriff Baca. In an interview some years ago (on you tube, but I can no longer find it), he was asked how many ccw permits had been given in the County. He said just less than 500 and he thought that was reasonable. The population in the County is around 10 million, so you can see that is a rather low percentage of the population and very unreasonable IMO.

The majority are given to retired ADAs, judges, celebrities and those who have donated money to his campaign. You do not have a chance at all IMHO.
To further this, and to show you just what type of person gets a CCW from the Ol' Man, I was in a gun store not long ago, when a gentleman pulled out the non-holstered Kahr he was CCWing and kept it in his hands while he was asking about accessories for it. Needless to say, I left shortly afterwards, though not before he showed his CCW card.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
If you live in Hawthorne, check with Hawthorne PD. LA County is very hard to get a CCW.
I grew up in Hawthorne (or the "Thorne" as we like to call it). I am also a former level one Reserve Peace Officer with Hawthorne PD (10 years). They don't issue any CCW's, not even to the Reserves.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

I heard about some departments that don't believe their reserves should carry. There were quite a few back in the day and when the market was good, they can do that and still have people fighting for those jobs.

Now, with LEOSA and the stringent training requirements for reserves having a full POST, most reserve forces have been decimated to mere shadows of their former selves and the departments have made some concessions.
Old 02-15-2013, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I heard about some departments that don't believe their reserves should carry. There were quite a few back in the day and when the market was good, they can do that and still have people fighting for those jobs.

Now, with LEOSA and the stringent training requirements for reserves having a full POST, most reserve forces have been decimated to mere shadows of their former selves and the departments have made some concessions.
When I got hired (1986-1996) we had more than 30 Reserve Officers, when I left there were 5 and now they maybe have two. The most senior Reserve has 30 years on, recently he asked admin if they would issue him a CCW. They told him they would think about it....nothing yet . During my tenure none of the South Bay cities issued to Reserves, except Inglewood PD.

They trained us (600 + hours) in the field with an FTO and 200 + hours in the academy, we worked one man cars in patrol, driving a four thousand pound black & White with lights & sirens and had us doing the exact same job as a Regular Officer. Minus the the pay and benefits of course. But wouldn't trust us with a CCW.

So I moved my family 40 miles away from the Thorne so as not to put them in harms way. I loved the job, working with the public and the men and women from HPD, it was great! Though working the L.A. riots ; that was a side of humanity I never want to see again.

Now some 17 years later I have a CCW issued by RSO, though I don't wear the badge anymore. Go figure! If the OP wants a CCW, best to move to an issuing county.

Sorry if I jacked the thread
Old 02-15-2013, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, I remember some chiefs making public statements back in those days that "Reserves don't need it because they don't work enough to be in any danger off duty." Truly pathetic the mindset of some of these people... but there are administrators that still think that way.

Some places do issue, but they put a bunch of onerous requirements on it, some of which are just arbitrary.

LAPD used to have a policy that you can't get one for at least one year, then if you do your hours in the first year, then they will issue.

LASD... no idea how they do theirs. My buddy is a reserve deputy and the reserve guys at his station are all over the place, some are Level 2 and some are Level 1ND, and it has nothing to do with your POST certification level or years of experience, it just depends on how they hired you.

Seems that most departments hire people in as Level 2 or 1ND because there is still this feeling that they don't want to entrust someone with 1D status, which makes no sense, really, because some policies state that the reserve, regardless of level, can "activate" themselves in situations requiring intervention, so they are peace officers at that point.

I've heard a lot of departments dwindling down to just a handful of old-timers now because nobody who's gone through a full academy did it to be a reserve, unless they needed a foot in the door and they go full-time as soon as they can, and some places pretty much just has that one old time reserve that is hanging on for dear life and that's the whole program.