Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 PM

Default U.S. Dept of Energy Swat Team?

WTF?

I saw this and had to ask.

http://www.webarms.com/Gun%20Supplie...d%20Armory.htm

" Purchased from Web Arms by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory,
U.S. Dept of Energy Swat Team."

Does every ABC entity have a Swat team?

Last edited by Peashooter; 02-02-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

Pretty hardcore for knocking out people not paying their energy bills.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 PM

The DOE is in charge of transporting Nukes over American soil, so I understand them requiring an SRT team. I've met a few of these guys, and they're no joke.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsellars View Post
The DOE is in charge of transporting Nukes over American soil, so I understand them requiring an SRT team. I've met a few of these guys, and they're no joke.
I've heard the exact same. I had a Professor who was in the military stationed in a Nevada base which held nukes. He said the DoE guys would come in WAY heavily armed and meant business in regards to transporting the goods
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
I've heard the exact same. I had a Professor who was in the military stationed in a Nevada base which held nukes. He said the DoE guys would come in WAY heavily armed and meant business in regards to transporting the goods
Prof. Bunyan?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.
Old 02-04-2008, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas View Post
Prof. Bunyan?
Holy crap you had him too?!?!
Old 02-04-2008, 8:08 AM
Veteran Member

anyone know of any DOE sites within an hour or 3 of phoenix?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:24 PM

Seems like, doesn't it? Actually the DOE teams are quite high speed-low drag. Note: they are not the same as the civilian contractor guards like Wackenhut. Would they use Springfield M1A's? Not sure, though I'd think they might have access to real M14's.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Ive been inside Lawrence Livermore - They take their security SERIOUSLY.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

Never thought about the nuclear side of things...

To think that I would have to pretty much sell my soul to the government to touch a full-auto firearm... unless I move out of KA, of course.
Old 02-04-2008, 4:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Ive been inside Lawrence Livermore - They take their security SERIOUSLY.
ya think?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I worked at LLNL for a short stint and grew up a stone's throw from there.

There are some very good reasons for them to have a SWAT team there. You can look this stuff up anywhere, but a couple things there are tritium refining, foreign intelligence analysis, weapons design, terror response, etc. etc.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
I worked at LLNL for a short stint and grew up a stone's throw from there.

There are some very good reasons for them to have a SWAT team there. You can look this stuff up anywhere, but a couple things there are tritium refining, foreign intelligence analysis, weapons design, terror response, etc. etc.
Where at? I grew up in Tracy.

My parents company supplied a lot of steel when they were expanding couple years ago and I got some neat tours out of it. Got to go in the super laser thingy (I believe thats the technical term for it?). That thing is nuts.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
My parents company supplied a lot of steel when they were expanding couple years ago and I got some neat tours out of it. Got to go in the super laser thingy (I believe thats the technical term for it?). That thing is nuts.
National Ignition Facility... "super laser thingy" was probably too hard to get funding for so they gave it a more obscure name.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I meant literally a stone's throw. In Livermore.

Quote:
Where at? I grew up in Tracy.

I did a bunch of tours there growing up, too. It's an impressive place with a strong legacy. Less now. It's lost a lot of its impact. With the exception of the NIF and a few other small things, LLNL is struggling to find its place in the world of science. Really sad, IMHO.

They really need some friggin sharks to put those friggin lasers on.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I meant literally a stone's throw. In Livermore.

I did a bunch of tours there growing up, too. It's an impressive place with a strong legacy. Less now. It's lost a lot of its impact. With the exception of the NIF and a few other small things, LLNL is struggling to find its place in the world of science. Really sad, IMHO.

They really need some friggin sharks to put those friggin lasers on.
My parents plant is off vasco a little before LLNL.

I dont really follow physics so much anymore so I dont know much about the labs but thats sad to hear.
Old 02-03-2008, 4:14 AM
Veteran Member

When the nuke trackers are in town, they usually stow their weaponry in my vault. Impressive array, to say the least.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 02-03-2008, 4:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Camp Parks Ca, Ft McCoy Ft Bragg, Ft Knox, Harvey Point

yes, DoE is pretty hardcore. Let me clue you in on something really neat too. Every employee of DoE is a Federal Peace Officer! You may think that is funny til you have to teach secretarys and janitors proper firearms handling! I read somewhere the reasoning behind it, but cant remember and dont want to misquote it. Also, DoE has to deal with nukes, thats why they have NEST. Lots of folks dont realize how many different police agencies there are in the USA, from township to federal level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-03-2008, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

They also buy from Dillon Aero

Big guns coming to Lawrence Lab
Modern day Gatling guns could thwart land, air terrorist attack
Keay Davidson, Chronicle Science Writer

Friday, February 3, 2006

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory plans to install high-powered machine guns over the next few months capable of hitting land vehicles or aircraft almost a mile away in the event of a terrorist attack.

Known as Gatling guns because they are multi-barreled, like their 19th-century ancestors, they simultaneously fire 7.6-millimeter bullets from six barrels at up to 4,000 rounds per minute, powerful enough to take down an enemy aircraft or helicopter, officials said.

The guns will give the nuclear weapons lab greater ability to guard its huge cache of radioactive plutonium, said Linton Brooks, head of the U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration, a quasi-independent agency that oversees the nation's nuclear weapons complex for the U.S. Department of Energy. The agency ordered the weapons.

"A lot of people are willing to die if they can kill lots of Americans ... You want to make clear that when they come here to die (by attacking the lab), they die for a failure," the blunt-speaking Brooks said at a press conference at Livermore on Thursday, where he unveiled one of the guns.

He said the guns will be operational later this year after the lab's security guards are trained and the weapons and related equipment are purchased. Brooks insisted the Gatling gun purchase is unrelated to a recent announcement that the lab might double its supply of plutonium.

Lab officials said that "multiple" Gatling guns will be installed at the lab, some mounted on vehicles and others placed at undisclosed fixed locations, but for security reasons declined to say exactly how many or when.

Manufactured by Dillon Aero of Scottsdale, Ariz., the guns cost between $50,000 and $75,000, depending on accessories, and can unleash a barrage of bullets up to 1,500 meters or nearly a mile away.

Each gun gives Lawrence Livermore firepower equivalent to a dozen guards armed with the high-powered rifles they currently carry, said Robert Claire, the lab's "armorer" -- the official in charge of its anti-terrorist weaponry.

Officials said, however, there are no plans to reduce the lab's security force, employed by Lawrence Livermore and the University of California, which runs the lab under contract with the Energy Department.

Lab spokesperson David Schwoegler said the plan to equip the lab with the high-tech guns has been "closely coordinated with all local and federal law enforcement agencies." Officials for the city of Livermore could not be reached late Thursday.

But a lab critic called the plan a threat to innocent men, women and children, particularly with the facility located across the street from suburban homes. A better solution would be to investigate ways to remove the plutonium and other weapons-grade nuclear materials from the lab altogether, said Marylia Kelley, head of Tri Valley Cares, a Livermore anti-nuclear group.

"There are residential homes all up and down what is the western perimeter of Livermore lab," Kelley said. "You always see children on their bicycles or skateboards ... people walking their dogs ... You can't just indiscriminately open fire."

Until now, the most lethal weapons known to be used by the lab's notoriously no-nonsense security guards are the big, black high-powered rifles they display prominently at its several security gates. Schwoegler said the security guards, which he numbered at a couple of hundred, will be thoroughly trained in the use of the new weapons.

The Gatling gun was introduced during the Civil War but saw limited action. It played a more prominent wartime role a few years later, giving U.S. troops enormous advantages in firepower in their fight against western Indians. The hand-cranked weapon, named for its inventor, Richard Jordan Gatling, fired 100 rounds per minute.

Gatling hoped the gun could "enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred" and thereby would "supersede the necessity of large armies," according to an online site operated by American Heritage.

Livermore lab is one of the nation's two nuclear weapons design labs, where, among other things, scientists study plutonium, a key ingredient in nuclear weapons. To carry out this task, the lab stores plutonium for research at a site called Building 332.

Conceivably, terrorists might wish to attack the lab either to steal plutonium, which they could then convert into their own bombs, or to blow up the plutonium storage facility in order to spread radioactive material over a widely inhabited area.

Brooks acknowledged that "if somebody wants to drive an aircraft into a building, you can't prevent that." But in the event of a "military-style" terrorist attack either from a ground vehicle or an aircraft, Livermore needs to have this kind of super-armament "to leave no doubt about the outcome," he said.

"You don't want half of (the terrorists) killed and half of your (Livermore) guys killed, then say, 'We won.' "

Rather, he said, lab officials want to ensure that in such a violent encounter, lab security guards can quell the invasion immediately without any Livermore staff losses.

In November, the Energy Department authorized the lab to increase its amount of stored plutonium to an amount exceeding 3,000 pounds -- enough for as many as about 300 nuclear bombs.

The authorization came three months after an advisory panel to the department urged the lab to ship almost all of its nuclear bomb materials -- estimated to be as much as 1,540 pounds worth -- to a remote, safer site because of the growing suburbanization of the Livermore area to prevent a potential terrorist attack.

On Thursday, Brooks said he hadn't decided whether to increase the amount of plutonium stored at the lab. He defended the lab's continuing research on plutonium as essential to ensure that U.S. weapons scientists understand better what he characterized as the "nasty, ugly, complicated stuff with a metallurgy I don't pretend to understand."

Over the years, federal officials have repeatedly worried about security standards at Lawrence Livermore and other labs in the United States' nuclear weapons complex. In February 2004, an intruder managed to drive a truck inside the Livermore site security perimeter. During the incident guards failed to activate recently installed "pop-up barriers," according to a report six months later by the Energy Department's inspector general.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

Last edited by Fjold; 02-03-2008 at 7:11 AM..
Old 02-03-2008, 8:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
They also buy from Dillon Aero
Yep, Livermore deployed the Dillon Aero gatling guns, stationary and vehicle mounted.

http://dillonaero.com/
Old 02-03-2008, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather

yes, DoE is pretty hardcore. Let me clue you in on something really neat too. Every employee of DoE is a Federal Peace Officer! You may think that is funny til you have to teach secretarys and janitors proper firearms handling! I read somewhere the reasoning behind it, but cant remember and dont want to misquote it. Also, DoE has to deal with nukes, thats why they have NEST. Lots of folks dont realize how many different police agencies there are in the USA, from township to federal level.
Not true!

Not only not true, but complete BS. For instance, LLNL only has a few people on site that are even sworn peace officers. The Protective Services Officers are employees of Lawrence Livermore National Security LLC, not the DOE.
Old 02-03-2008, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

My buddy was a SRT team member out at Savannah River. The guys there are no joke. Many guys working for DOE police are prior LE and .mil SF. I'm glad they have all the firepower they have because the last thing I want is for Habib to get his hands on some of that nuclear material.
Old 02-03-2008, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Not true!

Not only not true, but complete BS. For instance, LLNL only has a few people on site that are even sworn peace officers. The Protective Services Officers are employees of Lawrence Livermore National Security LLC, not the DOE.
Not entirely true, either. The LLC is a recent change in the administration of LLNL bureaucracy.

There is a big difference between the guys checking badges at the gates and what the lab has for real security. I've personally witnessed two incidents that involved people far above what you would consider protective services or common police officers at LLNL.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Big guns coming to Lawrence Lab
Modern day Gatling guns could thwart land, air terrorist attack
Keay Davidson, Chronicle Science Writer

Friday, February 3, 2006

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory plans to install high-powered machine guns over the next few months capable of hitting land vehicles or aircraft almost a mile away in the event of a terrorist attack.

Known as Gatling guns because they are multi-barreled, like their 19th-century ancestors, they simultaneously fire 7.6-millimeter bullets from six barrels at up to 4,000 rounds per minute, powerful enough to take down an enemy aircraft or helicopter, officials said.

Sounds Keay did his research.

Old 02-03-2008, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not entirely true, either. The LLC is a recent change in the administration of LLNL bureaucracy.

There is a big difference between the guys checking badges at the gates and what the lab has for real security. I've personally witnessed two incidents that involved people far above what you would consider protective services or common police officers at LLNL.
This is true. For those who have not worked at one of the national labs involved in stockpile stewardship, this stuff might sound confusing. The LLC is a for profit company formed by University of California, Bechtel national and several other companies to run the DOE contract at LLNL. Formerly this contract was run solely by UC. The LLC hires the guards at the front gates and the west gate either as employees of the contract or as subcontractors. Wackenhut is one such subcontractor at other facilities, including sites in Nevada.
The DOE Swat team mentioned in the ad for the M1A's are DOE people. They are not contractors and are actually DOE. There's a small group of people who transport sensitive nuclear technology between the various sites involved in NNSA operations and this DOE Swat team would be part of it. I've never known any of these people, and don't really want to, just as I've avoided going inside super block at the lab. Some things involving our national nuclear program are secret and should remain that way. However, I would never want to try to break into one of these high security facilities because the guys defending these areas are really serious, not like those Wackenhut dopes who are better at administrative bureaucracy than actual security.
Old 02-04-2008, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the security personnel are exactly the same. Their employer just changed from the University of California to the LLC.

Quote:
There is a big difference between the guys checking badges at the gates and what the lab has for real security.
Not really. The main difference is that a lot of the guards at the gates are awaiting their final security clearances and/or the specialized training for duty in high security areas. Even reponse team members rotate to duty at the gates at times.

Quote:
I've personally witnessed two incidents that involved people far above what you would consider protective services or common police officers at LLNL.
Those were probably DOE Security escorts who are on site when escorting some classified shipments. They have absolutely no sense of humor concerning physical security of their shipments.
Old 02-05-2008, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've personally witnessed two incidents that involved people far above what you would consider protective services or common police officers at LLNL.

Of course without divulging anything that perhaps should be kept low-key, can you elaborate?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2008, 11:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The bigger one was a bunch of police cars around a field bordering the lab, far off, and a group of guys (~8-12?) decked out in tactical gear & rifles (definitely didn't look like cops) walking through it. Armored vehicles and several snipers covering. There was a lot of other stuff happening I couldn't see, either. A military helicopter with guns flew in, too. I didn't stick around for long -- the regular security were really uneasy. Their dogs even looked pissed.

The second one was at a gate. I guess something had happened and a group of guys in tactical gear were around the booth talking to the security guys.

My pops witnessed some other stuff, too. There were occasional things like bomb threats and attempted trespasses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Of course without divulging anything that perhaps should be kept low-key, can you elaborate?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 5:57 AM

Quote:
The bigger one was a bunch of police cars around a field bordering the lab, far off, and a group of guys (~8-12?) decked out in tactical gear & rifles (definitely didn't look like cops) walking through it. Armored vehicles and several snipers covering. There was a lot of other stuff happening I couldn't see, either. A military helicopter with guns flew in, too. I didn't stick around for long -- the regular security were really uneasy. Their dogs even looked pissed.
That could have been an exercise with the Lab Special Response Teams. They hold them several times a year, usually on weekends so they don't panic employees with all the blanks firing. Alameda County deputies and Highway Patrol units are sometimes part of the exercises. It must have been a while ago since the Lab got rid of their dogs a long time ago. They switched to contract dogs, mainly at the truck inspection point, although I haven't seen them for awhile.

Quote:
The second one was at a gate. I guess something had happened and a group of guys in tactical gear were around the booth talking to the security guys.
It is not unusual for someone to run an entrance gate once in a while. When that happens, a response team usually responds and the Livermore PD is called. Most of the time it's a drunk or someone who is lost, although employees have been know to do so because they are half asleep when they arrive in the morning. About 5:00 am one time I saw a security officer stop an employee and put him on the ground while covering him with an M4 carbine. The employee didn't get too far before he was stopped.

Quote:
My pops witnessed some other stuff, too. There were occasional things like bomb threats and attempted trespasses...
There was an actual bombing, I think in the 70's, in the Sandia Lab parking lot across the street from the Lab.

As for the tactical gear, all of the security officers wear it now, except for some lieutenants or captains, or for formal occassions.

Last edited by EOD Guy; 02-06-2008 at 6:00 AM..
Old 02-04-2008, 8:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not true!

I wasnt talking about LLNL, I was talking about DOE, re-read then make your assumptions please.
Quote:
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Quote:
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-04-2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
I wasnt talking about LLNL, I was talking about DOE, re-read then make your assumptions please.
I still stand by my statement that DOE employees are not Federal peace officers. I would say that less than 1% of DOE employees are peace officers. To say that 100% are is absurd.

I have been working with AEC/ERDA/DOE employees for over 30 years, including being a member of NEST. I've run into very few that were peace officers. As a matter of fact, I was talking with a DOE employee today. He was amused to think that anyone could think he or his colleagues were peace officers.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

ok, I guess the folks who I certify every month must be somebody else. I have approx 12 students a month being cert'ed from DOE, and all of them are A/A's, Inspectors, even HR. OK, let me re-phrase, they are pc-832'ed and weapons qual'ed. Not necessarily peace officers, but they do have powers of arrest under their agency. They usually arent gun-totin' handcuff sportin leo types. They simply carry a gun and badge.
NEST huh? Ive done some cross training with nest when I was with UN OIOS.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
-Gene

Last edited by Stormfeather; 02-05-2008 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
I have approx 12 students a month being cert'ed from DOE, and all of them are A/A's, Inspectors, even HR. OK, let me re-phrase, they are pc-832'ed and weapons qual'ed. Not necessarily peace officers, but they do have powers of arrest under their agency.
Come to think of it, I remember reading a few years ago about how DOE has been...I don't remember the correct term..."deputizing"...more and more employees over recent years. Mostly, it was inspectors, IIRC. Somehow, the DOE's thinking is that somehow this gives the inspectors more clout when doing their jobs. I think I was reading an op-ed piece, and the writer was arguing that inspectors were doing just fine without being "deputized" or somehow converted to some sort of LE status, plus you're burdening the inspectors with requiring additional training and qualifications that have little to do with their primary duties.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Not true!

And even those few are less.

When UC ran the facility themselves, they had a UCPD station on site. The Chief and Captain were sworn, the rest of the staff were not. The office provided criminal and background investigative services for the facility. Since UC no longer administers the facility themselves, the office has been rolled into site security (not sure what they're called now) and the "Police" department shut down.

I'm assuming that DOE's response team (who I am assuming are LEO's per the CA Penal code) are still out there, though, in addition to site security.

"I wanna go fast!" - Ricky Bobby
Old 02-03-2008, 7:53 AM

DoE Security is all over the Rad Lab in Livermore.

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!

Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.
Old 02-03-2008, 8:14 AM

Those of you in Sacramento area will know this area...

There is a decommissioned nuclear power plant, Rancho Seco in the Sacramento area. It's been offline for quite a while now, but is still guarded.
Buddy of mine, a former Marine, works there on a security detail with one of the private military contractors. About every 6 months, without much predictability, a Seal team tests their security measures as a training exercise.

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey
Old 02-05-2008, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emc002 View Post
Those of you in Sacramento area will know this area...

There is a decommissioned nuclear power plant, Rancho Seco in the Sacramento area. It's been offline for quite a while now, but is still guarded.
Buddy of mine, a former Marine, works there on a security detail with one of the private military contractors. About every 6 months, without much predictability, a Seal team tests their security measures as a training exercise.

Are you serious about the SEALs???
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Are you serious about the SEALs???
that kind of thing happens all over the place all the time...
Old 02-07-2008, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman13 View Post
that kind of thing happens all over the place all the time...
Yeah, but I didn't mention Black Helicopters...

"I point out the obvious because if I belabor the subtle it only leaves people slack-jawed and drooling." - Bill Heavey