Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-14-2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
At this point, the only issue I have with the SA is the goofy .220" BTGS tang radius. Makes finding replacement BTGS a pain. And the one on it rattles (like most parts on it when I got it). But it is now a fine shooter, after changing almost every part that wasn't the slide or frame.
Did you go with a Smith & Alexander BTGS?
Old 12-14-2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparesa View Post
Did you go with a Smith & Alexander BTGS?
I ordered an EGW tool steel BTGS for the job, but it didn't work. Funny, it worked on a Mil-Spec I had, so that's where it went, along with the hammer from the Loaded Target.

The Loaded Target kept its original BTGS. I have it pinned (it's a gun used for USPSA, so grip safeties are not required), so it doesn't rattle anymore.

At this point, the only original parts are frame, slide, extractor, ejector, firing pin, firing pin spring, some small parts/pins, and rear sight. $1,050.00 for those parts, kind of steep if you ask me.

I put a Kart barrel in it about a month ago. Tightened up the barrel/slide/frame rattle nicely. Made it a laser too. And I did manage to sell the original barrel for $50.00, which was about half what the Kart barrel cost me (it was on sale).
Old 12-15-2018, 3:07 PM

My vote would be the Springfield. I say that because I just bought a new SA 1911 stainless Loaded 2 days ago. I get to pick it up Xmas eve. Can't wait to get it. I narrowed it down to the Kimber stainless II and the Springfield. The reviews were a little better on the SA and I liked the machined flat surfaces on the SA better than the coated surfaces on the Kimber. Also everyone complains about the Kimber mags. I didn't consider the Sig, it was a little more expensive and I wanted a more traditional 1911. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of your choices but for me, the Springfield Loaded was an easy choice.
Old 12-15-2018, 3:28 PM

My vote would be the RIA model that's above GI but not their highest; I think its tactical in terms of listing but don't remember. I saw this retail for $499 not too long ago, and its a good firearm. Since OP said $1,000 OTD this leaves room for ammo, magazines, cleaning gear etc.
Old 12-15-2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Carguy View Post
My vote would be the Springfield. I say that because I just bought a new SA 1911 stainless Loaded 2 days ago. I get to pick it up Xmas eve. Can't wait to get it. I narrowed it down to the Kimber stainless II and the Springfield. The reviews were a little better on the SA and I liked the machined flat surfaces on the SA better than the coated surfaces on the Kimber. Also everyone complains about the Kimber mags. I didn't consider the Sig, it was a little more expensive and I wanted a more traditional 1911. I don't think you could go wrong with either one of your choices but for me, the Springfield Loaded was an easy choice.
The SA Loaded is a good gun for the money. Mine needed WC mags, an extractor tune and light fluff-n-buff to make work. SACS took care of it. After that, any james were attributed to recoil spring wear and a quick swap with a Wolff spring solved it. Have fun with it!!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Joe Kenda ( homicide hunter) said Kimber is the most accurate out of the box 1911.
IMO they do shoot well and right up there with loaded SA which has great customer service.

"LIARS MAKE
THE BEST PROMISES"
Pierce Brown
Old 12-16-2018, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves32 View Post
Does Colt even have a new 1911 thatís on roster?
Thus my choices were Sig, Kimber and SA

Sad
Old 12-16-2018, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
The SA Loaded is a good gun for the money. Mine needed WC mags, an extractor tune and light fluff-n-buff to make work. SACS took care of it. After that, any james were attributed to recoil spring wear and a quick swap with a Wolff spring solved it. Have fun with it!!
Did you mail it to SA or drop it off in person?

"LIARS MAKE
THE BEST PROMISES"
Pierce Brown
Old 12-16-2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrkba View Post
Your second sentence contradicts the first sentence.
Old 12-18-2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Colt has been actively trying to kill their brand for years. Turning out poor quality guns at premium prices.

They may be turning it around (or trying to) with their Competition models (without target sights!!??, WTF Colt) and the newer Gold Cup in 9mm, but I'm not getting in line for any of that.

Anybody foolish enough to spend $2K on a Series 70 base gun with crap sights, no BTGS or front strap checkering, and usually more rattles than a Springfield Armory gun is nuts. At least Springfield Armory has the customer service to fix what their historically poor QC allows to leave the factory. The horror stories I've heard from people dealing with Colt's CS are another reason I have no desire to own one.

And the truly funny part is that Colt has the ability to make nice guns. Pythons are sweet. Two or three times as sweet as a Smith & Wesson Model 27? Debatable. But very nice guns. Not sure why they offer cultists so little in the semi-auto world.
I have a Colt XSE, and it exhibits none of the poor quality symptoms you describe above. It's fit and finish is great, and shoots match grade accuracy. It was worth every penny.
Old 12-18-2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy101 View Post
I have a Colt XSE, and it exhibits none of the poor quality symptoms you describe above. It's fit and finish is great, and shoots match grade accuracy. It was worth every penny.
You have a Colt that shoots 3" groups at 50 yards (that is generally acknowledged as "match grade accuracy")?

Congratulations.

Most are not that good. Most factory guns from any manufacturer won't do that.

My point was that Colt is no better than any other factory 1911, and anyone paying more than $1,000.00 for a used Series 70 gun with the crap sights, spur hammer and no BTGS could be buying a better gun for the same money. Les Baer guns in the $2k range are not uncommon.

But it's your money, spend it any way you want.

Last edited by Robert1234; 01-11-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Old 12-23-2018, 4:44 PM

I recommend springers as well. All my 1911's are springfield. I think at the time i bought my first 1911 people were recommending a series 70 system due to the ease of trigger action jobs. When Sig came out with their GSR their triggers were good out of the box needing minimal tuning.

So know you can't go wrong with a premium manufacturer. I'm biased towards springfield because of their warranty.

I like Sig 1911 because of the quality of their guns and what they put in them.

I've never been a fan of a Kimber. They look good when holding them but i don't care for them. I went into Turners once to check out a stainless Kimber, asked the salesman if that was rust inside the magwell and under the slide. He said it was normal for stainless to rust. I was like ?????. I know there will be oxidation that is easily wiped off but not pitting rust.

I have had the finish wear off my springers to bare metal haven't had any issues with rusting, as long as i do my part to clean and oil.

Unless your going full custom, a Springfield milspec or loaded will be a good 1911. A sig TTT or XO would be a nice one as well. Just be careful with sig. Some holsters will not fit due to their slide profiles, which are more square than a standard 1911. Looks real nice and modern but have to be careful with holster choices.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM

I bought a new SA 9mm loaded target from an A+ rated high volume Gunbroker dealer (Thousands of transactions).
It arrived at the FFL with an idiot scratch. Fairly deep one too.

Dealer re-iterated that the pistol was brand new, untouched straight from SA, and told me to try to work it out with Springfield first under their warranty so that I do not have to pay shipping costs to have it exchanged by him.

Springfield said there was no way the pistol could have an idiot scratch from the factory and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Spent an additional $60 to have the dealer exchange it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post

So know you can't go wrong with a premium manufacturer. I'm biased towards springfield because of their warranty.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodbuster View Post
I bought a new SA 9mm loaded target from an A+ rated high volume Gunbroker dealer (Thousands of transactions).
It arrived at the FFL with an idiot scratch. Fairly deep one too.

Dealer re-iterated that the pistol was brand new, untouched straight from SA, and told me to try to work it out with Springfield first under their warranty so that I do not have to pay shipping costs to have it exchanged by him.

Springfield said there was no way the pistol could have an idiot scratch from the factory and it wouldn't be covered under warranty. Spent an additional $60 to have the dealer exchange it.
How was it otherwise? Cause if it was tight and didn't rattle, I'd have kept it and fixed the idiot scratch (or not, it's going to end up with scratches and wear marks if you use it).

Their QC is hit and miss, the gun you get with no idiot scratch might be a rattly, loose gun. Or it might not be.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Ideally a 1911 w/o the dumb front cocking serrations !

"LIARS MAKE
THE BEST PROMISES"
Pierce Brown
Old 01-12-2019, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Chamber Checking Serrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
maxresdefault.jpg
Colt 1911 Snob. LOL!
C&R Milsurplus Bolt Action Rifle and Bayonet nut!
Old 01-12-2019, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith4him View Post
I have a Glock, SW 686, just rounding out the collection
Every American should own a 1911 in .45ACP (Shouldn't have to specify the caliber but this IS Calguns ) and a wheelgun in .357 Magnum. It is a Universal Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja308 View Post
Unless you like front cocking serrations. I don't, but some do. That said, sometimes you aren't given a choice. Especially in California.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:53 AM

I just bought a Springfield 1911 Loaded stainless at Sportsmans Warehouse. They are on sale for $799. Parkerized is less. Awesome gun, great price.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have the parked mil spec and the SS 9mm. Both are excellent. I'd buy them again.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just bought a Springfield 1911 Loaded stainless at Sportsmans Warehouse. They are on sale for $799. Parkerized is less. Awesome gun, great price.

Thatís a heck of a deal.

Honestly, Iíd get the parkerized version. I had the stainless, but didnít like the finish after I bought it. I now have a properly blued 1911 with no front cocking serrations. Les Baer has one of the few on roster blued 1911ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan301 View Post
I do see the reason front slide serrations are standard on many 1911s.

I have both types and have found the serrations do nothing to help me with a press check. must be my grip is strong enough to not slip or the fact I do it with the hammer cocked.

My objection to the front slide serrations deal with the discomfort when using the clip draw system which puts the serrations in contact with skin.

"LIARS MAKE
THE BEST PROMISES"
Pierce Brown
Old 01-12-2019, 2:18 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thatís a heck of a deal.

Honestly, Iíd get the parkerized version. I had the stainless, but didnít like the finish after I bought it. I now have a properly blued 1911 with no front cocking serrations. Les Baer has one of the few on roster blued 1911ís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fell in love with the look of the stainless, but now I think I would reconsider. I've only put 50 rounds through it and cleaned it twice an it's already scratched up. The stainless seems really soft. Only a month of ownership and I'm thinking of having the bead blasted surfaces re-blasted already.
Old 01-12-2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
I fell in love with the look of the stainless, but now I think I would reconsider. I've only put 50 rounds through it and cleaned it twice an it's already scratched up. The stainless seems really soft. Only a month of ownership and I'm thinking of having the bead blasted surfaces re-blasted already.
Or accept the patina as the sign of good use.

Cause if you re-bead blast it, the wear will come back. It's the nature of wear.
Old 01-12-2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Sig not a real 1911

That leaves the SA Loaded - get one.

AGREED!

Springfield or Dan wesson is what you want
Old 01-12-2019, 3:37 PM

Springfield Loaded. No brainer.
Old 01-12-2019, 3:48 PM

Springfield 1911-A1 "Mil-Spec".

$500 NIB and <$10 for the nylon grips.

Spent the other $500 on Ammo.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 01-12-2019, 5:51 PM

Look At Rock Island 1911 pro.

Affordable. I love mine. I have the Pro Match Ultra.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/pro-series/
Old 01-12-2019, 5:59 PM

For under $1000? KIMBERS ONLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBiker View Post

RIA/Armscor is one of the worst firearm companies on the market today. RIA's weapons and Armscor's ammunition is engineered to the lowest standard, Philippine crap
Old 01-12-2019, 6:21 PM

Look in the classified ads. 1911s aren't selling right now so there are deals to be had.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, the 'what the crazy' responses about firearms far out of the league of the question are ridiculous.

I'm going to buy a Springfield MC Operator myself. I could buy something else, but that is far above the quality I require, and I just like it. The TRP Operator is also a great option for a bull barrel variety of 'loaded' class pistol but I've convinced myself I don't want the bull barrel but rather have the MC.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:12 PM

Get a series 70 1911 and donít settle for anything less than a Springfield.
Old 01-16-2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBiker View Post

I liked the adjustable rear sight and the 6" barrel but the whole lines of RIA Pro Match is NOT on Roster. . So it does not mean a thing You can look but you can't touch , it's a torture man.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up View Post
Get a series 70 1911 and donít settle for anything less than a Springfield.
That's setting the bar pretty low.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:12 PM

Springfield, I got three. No issues, wouldnít hesitate on another. I like sig but only if itís a p series gun
Old 01-16-2019, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitthecoast View Post
For under $1000? KIMBERS ONLY!

RIA/Armscor is one of the worst firearm companies on the market today. RIA's weapons and Armscor's ammunition is engineered to the lowest standard, Philippine crap
EW. Are you seriously recommending a Kimber?
Old 01-16-2019, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Springfield is a great choice. I have three different tier levels and they're all amazing.

Old 01-16-2019, 8:51 PM

1- Springfield loaded
2- Sig
3- Kimber, fine weapon dogs***t finish.
Old 01-16-2019, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiiaaannn View Post
Springfield is a great choice. I have three different tier levels and they're all amazing.
Digging the Professional! That is my grail gun.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 01-16-2019, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Digging the Professional! That is my grail gun.
Thank you! I love that gun, I've had it for several years now and seen many thousands of rounds.

When it is time for you to buy one, I highly recommend getting an older one with the Nowlin barrel. Not only do you get the better barrel, the finish is much nicer too.