Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-12-2019, 1:31 AM

Get the SP-01

It is leaps and bounds better and no, itís not just a rail that makes it different
Old 01-12-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
I have a HK p30 V3 variant as my first pistol I ever bought. I wonder if I could swap it to light LEM even with the decocker. Either CZ you buy it can always go to cajun gun works for the treatment.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Here you go sir, get that decocker.
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg.../topics/198414
Old 01-12-2019, 8:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you get the 75, you'll likely still want to get the SP-01. I had the same dilemma a few years ago. Now I have SP-01, PCR, 97, RAMI. I sent my SP-01 to Cajun Gun Works for the Pro Package, and now my new dilemma is that I want to send them all to CGW! Being a gun enthusiast has a bit of trial and error, you'll eventually find the ones that you enjoy the most......kinda like a Mormon with his wives. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2019, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recpark99 View Post
If you get the 75, you'll likely still want to get the SP-01. I had the same dilemma a few years ago. Now I have SP-01, PCR, 97, RAMI. I sent my SP-01 to Cajun Gun Works for the Pro Package, and now my new dilemma is that I want to send them all to CGW! Being a gun enthusiast has a bit of trial and error, you'll eventually find the ones that you enjoy the most......kinda like a Mormon with his wives. Good luck!
I hear ya. I used to airsoft back in high school and my dilemma then is the same dilemma now in terms of which guns to get first off my ďlistĒ of wants. Iíll look into CGW, ive seen it being posted around a lot but never actually done the research on it yet.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:21 AM

I'd get the BD. I generally like decockers more than manual safeties. Sp-01 has a decocker model, but it's a lot more expensive in california because of the roster.

In a free state, sp01 tactical no question.

Do you have a CZ PCR or P-01, a Kel-Tec P-11, a WASR, a fixed mag Draco, or a gen 2 or 3 PSAK-47? Let me know as I may be interested in buying or trading for those.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd408 View Post
Still leaning towards the SP-01 mainly due to more bang for my buck considering the same amount of money......

Do i need rails, night sights, and all the bells and whistles?..... Only turn off from the SP-01, to me, is the thicker, “squared” frame, and the safety. Plus, like i said, i dont need everything that it comes with.

But it will bug me knowing i spent $500 on the 75BD if i couldve gotten a “better” gun for the same amount.

So yeah, long story short, i prefer the looks and the decocker of the 75BD....... Lol
Then get the BD!

All the features on the SP01 that most posters are raving about are things that you really don't care. BUT that bulbous nose of the SP01 is a turn off to you.

See, its like the 1911s. Most rave about front cocking serrations, full length guide rod, upswept beavertail, skeletonized hammer, serrations on the front strap, ambidextrous thumb safety, Novak sights, etc. etc. So, I bought 1911s with those features and without. I enjoy the GI set up more. Even when not shooting, I have a distinct pleasure of just LOOKING at a GI setup 1911 much more so than the " loaded/featured " ones.

A similar situation will be like buying a C3 Corvette (I am old so I am no longer familiar w/ newer Corvettes). I like the looks of a stock looking C3 Corvettes with its classic flowing lines, deep throated powerful rumble compared to one that has abhorent and gaudy looking spoilers, lowered suspension with super wide tires sticking out the sides, bratty sounding aftermarket exhaust system, funky looking distasteful and outlandish paint jobs.

Be guided by what YOU want, OP.

Last edited by DArBad; 01-12-2019 at 9:26 AM..
Old 01-12-2019, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^@DArBadís statement sounds familiar... think I read it somewhere not too long ago - though written differently, message is the same 😉
Old 01-12-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer the balance of the SP-01 but as with all things in life YMMV...
Old 01-12-2019, 12:02 PM

I went with the SP-01 because I prefer the manual safety as it is consistent with my 1911s. I don't own any decocker guns anymore. Get the one that YOU want!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are five hundred fitty dollar guns. Buy one of each.
Old 01-12-2019, 8:03 PM

I bought the BD last year and love it. I didn't need a rail and the BD reminds me of a high power with a decocker. I like the decocker so much I bought a PCR to go with it. Just as nice but a little smaller. Great conceal carry pistol. If you need the rail get the sp-01, if not the bd works fine. Some of the prices menthioned above are fud. The BD will usually cost you 75. to 100. less. The tactical is more than that. Both the sp-01 and the p-01 are very popular right now so you won't get as good a price break on then. I don't like cocked and locked as a carry weapon so the decocker works for me. Same trigger as a revolver on first shot and single action for the rest. To me that is simpler and quicker than messing with the safety in a stress filled situation. It's all about your personal preference. There are no wrong choices if your happy with them. Besides you will probably end up with more than one. CZs are very nice guns.
Old 01-18-2019, 7:47 PM

I put a CZ 75BD in jail tonight oops
Old 01-18-2019, 8:29 PM

Arrow

Quote:
What made you decide on the BD over the sp01
Old 01-18-2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Congrats OP. I would've gone SP-01, but both are great.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:52 PM

I was almost certain to get the SP01 but same reasons as before kept turning me off to it. The squared up rail and the safety. I understand it has many pros to it than the BD, but the fact that I kept second guessing and constantly checking for 75BD’s to show up for sale, i just went with it.

I kept doing more research and kept finding threads of people saying that there was very little difference or even none at all between the two in terms of recoil. I would believe that there is, and dont doubt it after all the comments on this thread. But i dont see why i wouldnt be able to handle a little more recoil on the BD. And again, if i ever run into another great deal on an SP01, ill most likely go for it just to have the pair. But i definitely just wanted the BD *more* right now compared to the SP01.

Last edited by sd408; 01-18-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Old 01-19-2019, 7:12 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^I think you got what YOU wanted and thatís what matters! Congrats!
Old 01-19-2019, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymallory1 View Post
SP-01 all day. Rated for +P ammo better balanced gun with the full length dust cover has a rail can carry in double action and position one. Only down side to the SP-01 is the trigger. BD trigger is better but let’s be honest you know I’m six months your going to be sending it out to CGW anyway ha ha. SP-01 also has a full length guide rod. Have you considered the tactical sport? Much better out of the box gun for sure. I bought the SP-01 and had it Cajunized with a single action adjustable trigger all the bells and whistles with Dawson Precision sights. Out right the most accurate pistol I’ve shot so far...although my Glock 19 shoots softer with less recoil not nearly as accurately though.
Our SP-01's are twins almost; same mods except hard chrome on mine.

To the OP - get both, it's the Calguns way
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 01-19-2019, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for SP-01

I have a 75B and contemplating selling it to get an SP-01!
Old 01-19-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Our SP-01's are twins almost; same mods except hard chrome on mine.

To the OP - get both, it's the Calguns way

Ha ha. Hard chrome is nice! No one near me does it so I got a Titanium Nitride coating. Itís called SLP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymallory1 View Post
Ha ha. Hard chrome is nice! No one near me does it so I got a Titanium Nitride coating. Itís called SLP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP; once you get both, make sure to send them to Dave at CGW
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 01-19-2019, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post

To the OP; once you get both, make sure to send them to Dave at CGW
That may be a while from now when i get work done on it, HOPEFULLY. Im starting to source parts flr my P2000 V3 to V4.1 conversion now, so id like to have that project done and settle down on my spending a little before i really jump all in and spend the big bucks on this 75. I plan to get the lower frame cerakoted like the one in this video. https://youtu.be/Fc2oYgQzWC4

I just dont know if anyone will be able to replicate that tungsten blue since itís a custom blend. And the midnight bronze looks so much more like a graphite(?) to me. Id be disappointed if i send it in with those color expectations and not get it back as much