Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-09-2019, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
2019 will signal the end of 2A in this state. by the end of Newsom's first term it will have been legislated out of existence.

It's only a matter of time until we get one or more cases heard by SCOTUS and deal a severe, if not deadly, blow to the whole house of gun control cards.

The left are so completely and thoroughly out of touch with reality and voters, (reference Crazy Chuck and Insane Nancy last night who even by WAPO standards are nuts & factually incorrect in all they say) and in CA they are drunk with power. Newsom and most CA dems are insanely arrogant and will overreach like crazy, which only helps us.

It hurts like hell in the short term, but in the long term I am optimistic.

RBG is done. She's honestly probably not even alive right now, but even if she is, there's no way she finishes out this year.

She just broke a bunch of ribs and had half a lung taken out for more cancer.

**And she's 84.**

That means yet ANOTHER Conservative Supreme Court Justice almost guaranteed this year, next year 100%.

Regardless of your personal opinions, Trump is insanely strategic, cunning, and has incredible foresight.

He's made remarks on Sotomayor's diabetes...which means there's a good chance she's gone before 2024 as well. He knows stuff we don't.

I'd love for Roberts to retire or otherwise be replaced, but am not quite as optimistic about that.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
there will be no veto on gun control bills from Newsom. If there is I would be shocked.
He *might* symbolically veto some totally inconsequential bill (like a ban on Punisher logo glock slide covers) just so he can say "See, I'm fair, I'm only going to sign common sense gun bills!"

Or, he might not even do that, because he doesn't care what anyone thinks

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
It's only a matter of time until we get one or more cases heard by SCOTUS and deal a severe, if not deadly, blow to the whole house of gun control cards.

The left are so completely and thoroughly out of touch with reality and voters, (reference Crazy Chuck and Insane Nancy last night who even by WAPO standards are nuts & factually incorrect in all they say) and in CA they are drunk with power. Newsom and most CA dems are insanely arrogant and will overreach like crazy, which only helps us.

It hurts like hell in the short term, but in the long term I am optimistic.

RBG is done. She's honestly probably not even alive right now, but even if she is, there's no way she finishes out this year.

She just broke a bunch of ribs and had half a lung taken out for more cancer.

**And she's 84.**

That means yet ANOTHER Conservative Supreme Court Justice almost guaranteed this year, next year 100%.

Regardless of your personal opinions, Trump is insanely strategic, cunning, and has incredible foresight.

He sure has made the left literally lose their marbles. I have nothing against him.

He's made remarks on Sotomayor's diabetes...which means there's a good chance she's gone before 2024 as well. He knows stuff we don't.

I'd love for Roberts to retire or otherwise be replaced, but am not quite as optimistic about that.

The left is truly out of touch that's for sure. That goes for the people that voted for them. California in particular.

If SCOTUS takes a case that actually has teeth and I when I say that consequences to those states that refuse to follow it (California again) then we might get somewhere.

Until SCOTUS takes a case and we win. California will continue to legislate 2A out of existence here. While we wait those laws will be in force and we have to deal with it.

This state is finished and it will be the people of this state that will do it. Prop 63 was the signal of the end of 2A here.

RBG has to step down or die for her seat to be filled. She will not willingly let Trump put another conservative on the bench.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
He *might* symbolically veto some totally inconsequential bill (like a ban on Punisher logo glock slide covers) just so he can say "See, I'm fair, I'm only going to sign common sense gun bills!"

Or, he might not even do that, because he doesn't care what anyone thinks
I won't hold my breath.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
contact the governor
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-09-2019, 7:33 PM

If this passes there will obviously be a flurry of buying and selling taking place up until it goes into effect but how will the prices of guns in PPT's be affected AFTER it goes into effect? Would supply and demand be affected equally resulting in no change?

This will clearly close down a number small LGS's and increase unemployment, a consequence I'm sure the Libs will grin and ignore.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 7:43 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistadobalina_CA View Post
If this passes there will obviously be a flurry of buying and selling taking place up until it goes into effect but how will the prices of guns in PPT's be affected AFTER it goes into effect? Would supply and demand be affected equally resulting in no change?

This will clearly close down a number small LGS's and increase unemployment, a consequence I'm sure the Libs will grin and ignore.

I don't expect there would be a flurry of gun buying before this bill takes effect. It would be limited to those who buy more than 12 guns every year and also don't have a hunting license. Those people exist, I'm sure, but I doubt they'll be crowding the gun stores. Most people who buy more than 12 guns a year either already have a hunting license, or would get one. A few will refuse, but they'll probably number in the dozens, not millions.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-09-2019 at 7:46 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If When this passes there will obviously be a flurry of buying and selling taking place up until it goes into effect but how will the prices of guns in PPT's be affected AFTER it goes into effect? Would supply and demand be affected equally resulting in no change?

There is no if when it comes to gun control and Newsom as governor. It will pass and it will be signed.

contact the governor
NRA Life Member.
Old 01-09-2019, 7:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Don’t expect SCOTUS to stop or overturn any of this states laws.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—“
Old 01-09-2019, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
I can think of one that might get overturned; the age restriction of 21 and over to purchase long-guns (regardless if a hunting license or work as LEO allows it or not).

While it won't be specifically a nod to California, as other states have put through similar laws, if the SCOTUS hears any of the lawsuits against that restriction, I suspect they will find it null and void as a direct infringement of the 2nd Amendment because it's banning common firearms, basic long-guns, and not some "specialty" firearms or handguns, and California will have to follow their decision.

Old 01-10-2019, 6:49 AM

Many gun shops will be forced to close its doors.
Old 01-10-2019, 7:11 AM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banksy View Post
Many gun shops will be forced to close its doors.
No, they won't.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 01-10-2019, 9:38 AM

It's going to limit the rate at which shops can move firearms and reduce the number of people coming coming through the door to buy the items they really make money on. I agree it's plausible many small shops will close.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
It's going to limit the rate at which shops can move firearms and reduce the number of people coming coming through the door to buy the items they really make money on. I agree it's plausible many small shops will close.
I don't think the people who regularly buy more 2 or more guns every month from the same store, who don't have (and refuse to get) a hunting license, account for a statistically significant amount of any gun stores' business.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there are only a few dozen people in the whole state who fit that category (especially now that people aren't really adding stripped AR lowers to their gun purchases as much much anymore)

This bill sucks, and I'm in no way defending it. I'm just saying that sensationalist claims about what this bill would do aren't going to help anything. Sensationalist arguments are easily shot down by our opponents.

Lets stick to facts, instead. For example, the fact that this bill would have ZERO impact on public safety. The fact that it doesn't matter how many guns someone owns, because they only have 2 hands. The fact that it isn't legal to limit how often someone may exercise their Constitutional rights. The fact that straw purchases are already illegal.

THOSE are the points we should be making.

Making claims about the detrimental affects of this bill to gun owners and gun stores is just going to get us laughed at, because nobody is going to buy it. If I don't even believe it, then how are we going to get any anti-gunners to believe it.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-10-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM

I do believe if anyone really wants to get 2 or more a month on a regular basis, and I do believe it will be few, they will give in to the hunting license just like they are doing for ammo...buying the C&R FFL.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:08 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

In my opinion, the biggest concern with this bill is not in the way it's written currently, but in the way that it will be modified later.

The hunting license exemption is likely just a "foot in the door" - a way to get the bill passed without a lot of resistance. Then, next year, we'll see a bill to remove the hunting license exemption. Hell, the bill to remove the exemption has probably already been written; just sitting in Portantino's file cabinet waiting for this one to be passed first.

You know - sort of like how the 1-in-30 law used to only apply to handguns, and is being modified now to apply to all guns. Or how the handgun roster used to just be for drop testing. Or how the magazine ban used to just apply to acquiring new ones. Or how the age restriction used to be 18. Or....

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-10-2019 at 11:14 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 3:44 PM

Came over from the 'stickie' thread on CA 2a...
I'm more concerned with the move to prohibit ALL semi-auto firearms. I'm thinking that is what's gonna come down this year. Dear god.
Old 01-10-2019, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

This is going to suck when I crash another buyback. I think my record is 5 in a day.

Old 01-10-2019, 4:03 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Came over from the 'stickie' thread on CA 2a...
I'm more concerned with the move to prohibit ALL semi-auto firearms. I'm thinking that is what's gonna come down this year. Dear god.
That could be a blessing in disguise. Such an obscene overreach in regulating the 2A would be nearly guaranteed to fly through the courts and land at SCOTUS in pretty short order.

I don't think we'll see a move to ban semiauto pistols or shotguns this year, for that reason. A semiauto rifle bill is entirely possible, though. It was attempted a few years back, 2013 I believe. It was nixxed when Brown indicated he would veto it. Newsom wouldn't, as we all know.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 01-10-2019 at 4:06 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
That could be a blessing in disguise. Such an obscene overreach in regulating the 2A would be nearly guaranteed to fly through the courts and land at SCOTUS in pretty short order.

I don't think we'll see a move to ban semiauto pistols or shotguns this year, for that reason. A semiauto rifle bill is entirely possible, though. It was attempted a few years back, 2013 I believe. It was nixxed when Brown indicated he would veto it. Newsom wouldn't, as we all know.
I just want to point out that because you added Mr. Potatohead features to your firearm, its now a different weapon. Better hand it over to DOJ.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 01-10-2019, 4:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

this bill won't trigger any kind of SCOTUS review.

the proponents will argue that it doesn't stop you from buying anything, it only limits the amount you can buy in a year. in which they will argue doesn't violate any constitutional rights.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-10-2019, 4:37 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
I just want to point out that because you added Mr. Potatohead features to your firearm, its now a different weapon. Better hand it over to DOJ.

Old 01-11-2019, 7:09 AM

Yeah, Feinstein isn't just going after 'assault rifles', as they are now erroneously classified, but any semi-auto with a threaded barrel, shroud over the barrel, or detachable mag. I mean, they want the AR platform banned. We've got what, hundreds of thousands of rifles out there and they're going to simply say you have to dispose of them? WTF!

Besides the trampling on rights, what about all of the $$ involved? And they think that will keep bad guys from shooting up a 'gun-safe' place with a handgun? It's all just so stupid and silly.

Just look at London - are they going to outlaw knives now? It's ludicrous.
Old 01-11-2019, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Yeah, Feinstein isn't just going after 'assault rifles', as they are now erroneously classified, but any semi-auto with a threaded barrel, shroud over the barrel, or detachable mag. I mean, they want the AR platform banned. We've got what, hundreds of thousands of rifles out there and they're going to simply say you have to dispose of them? WTF!

Besides the trampling on rights, what about all of the $$ involved? And they think that will keep bad guys from shooting up a 'gun-safe' place with a handgun? It's all just so stupid and silly.

Just look at London - are they going to outlaw knives now? It's ludicrous.
No, all grandfathered without registration. This would be a ban on the sale of such firearms. Theirs is a long game like in California slowly but surely squeezing and squeezing until there are no guns worth buying or worth the hassle of maintaining and shooting. Eventually the desire for guns dies in a couple of generations.
Old 01-12-2019, 7:41 AM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
this bill won't trigger any kind of SCOTUS review.

the proponents will argue that it doesn't stop you from buying anything, it only limits the amount you can buy in a year. in which they will argue doesn't violate any constitutional rights.
Imagine if this were a voting issue.

Sure, you can still exercise your right to vote, but you only get to vote for one candidate, and that candidate is the only one on the ballot.

Or how bout free speech? You can say anything you want, so long as it only praises democrats.

Go to any church you want, as long as it's only the church of global warming.

My point is that rights are rights. If they have limitations, then they are privileges.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 01-12-2019, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Imagine if this were a voting issue.

Sure, you can still exercise your right to vote, but you only get to vote for one candidate, and that candidate is the only one on the ballot.

Or how bout free speech? You can say anything you want, so long as it only praises democrats.

Go to any church you want, as long as it's only the church of global warming.

My point is that rights are rights. If they have limitations, then they are privileges.
+1. Last time I checked 'shall not be infringed' was in there.

Old 01-15-2019, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshill View Post
No, all grandfathered without registration. This would be a ban on the sale of such firearms. Theirs is a long game like in California slowly but surely squeezing and squeezing until there are no guns worth buying or worth the hassle of maintaining and shooting. Eventually the desire for guns dies in a couple of generations.
Yeah, I read that. Surprised actually.

I was curious though, about the dollars involved with 1.6Million rifles already owned.

And sadly, none if will do anything about the bad guys - just makes it harder for the good guys. [shrug]
Old 01-15-2019, 9:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4spd View Post
At least not in my lifetime. In the end folks will make their own decisions regardless of what the courts don't do.

Ignoring laws is as American as our system of selective enforcement.