Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-21-2011, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
You apply to San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office.
thank you psychguy274
thanks
rob
Old 08-21-2011, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob474 View Post
thank you psychguy274
thanks
rob
No prob, I always sling love out to my brothers in Rancho. I was born and raised there. I just recently moved out to Colorado. Send me a PM if you need anymore info about applying. I'm working directly with CGF on SBC.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 08-21-2011, 9:41 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

I appreciate this thread. And you, PsychGuy274. I am taking the 16 hours required class this September and plan to apply for the CCW (or LTC, if you prefer) immdiately following. I have also been in contact with http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/ which has been a wealth of info.

I wonder, are they good to take advice from? They have a lot to say about California concealed carry.

Anyway, my 2nd planned carry gun should be out of jail in a few days and I am excited to begin the process.

God Bless.

J.
Old 08-21-2011, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrooksx View Post
I appreciate this thread. And you, PsychGuy274. I am taking the 16 hours required class this September and plan to apply for the CCW (or LTC, if you prefer) immdiately following. I have also been in contact with http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/ which has been a wealth of info.

I wonder, are they good to take advice from? They have a lot to say about California concealed carry.

Anyway, my 2nd planned carry gun should be out of jail in a few days and I am excited to begin the process.

God Bless.

J.
There's some drama between that site and this site. I don't really want to get into it, but whatever gets you a LTC is your best bet IMHO.

If you have questions just PM me.

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 PM

ok where can we take that class i didn't realize we need to take a 16 hour class
thank you
rob
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 PM

New to the forum - hi.

If I have completed PC832 and Lvl II reserve officer training (admittedly 20 years ago) with SBC sheriff, do I still need the new license class? My thought would be that I do both because the training was *cough* when I was much younger and the application states a "specified course". However, there's no harm is asking for a few other opinions.
Old 08-22-2011, 7:49 AM

Quote:

DO NOT TAKE ANY CLASS PRIOR TO APPLYING. SBSD has their own class, it is the only one they accept. It is 8 hours, used to be 4ish and $25.

If you have a desire to take other classes for information or shooting training, that is fine, but don't do it and think that it will count for anything with SBSD.

ETA, Billy Jack (AKA Preston Guillory concealedcarry.com) IS a wealth of information, not so much for San Bernardino County. If you live in an area that does not issue or won't without a fight he is a great source of information on proper tactics in documenting your application and documenting other good cause that has worked in that jurisdiction. In this case you would be going in with a baseball bat ready to fight when all you really need is to ask for the application.

Last edited by Knauga; 08-22-2011 at 8:03 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 7:57 AM

My answers in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock21fan View Post
Ok I want to apply for my permit in san bernardino county. I live in the sheriff jurisdiction so I will be applying at the headquarters.

here are my questions

What makes good cause Personal Protection

do they care about credit No

I have a almost 3 year old speeding ticket that was paid not contested Not an issue

I understand they talk to neighbors, what if I dont want the gangbangers 3 doors down to know im carrying a weapon I would discuss this with them during the interview.

and they want to know contact with law enforcement...Ive been in security I do have a EXPOSED permit for work. I have made arrests but cant remember every time ive had contact with law enforcement. Ironically this will probably cause you the most grief. Not the contact with law enforcement, the working security. Just point out that you have no intention of using the CCW for employment purposes. They will make you sign a piece of paper to that effect anyway. In the past people have been denied outright if they thought that the license was going to be used at work and had to fight them to get them to issue.

Please give some input I want to know what the odds are before I throw money at this.

thank you
The process is slow and fairly invasive. I would like to see that changed. They do issue as long as you jump through the hoops and you don't have any skeletons hanging around in your closet.
Old 08-22-2011, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixCPA View Post
New to the forum - hi.

If I have completed PC832 and Lvl II reserve officer training (admittedly 20 years ago) with SBC sheriff, do I still need the new license class? My thought would be that I do both because the training was *cough* when I was much younger and the application states a "specified course". However, there's no harm is asking for a few other opinions.
They will require you to take their class.
Old 08-22-2011, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
And don't forget... SBC needs more sponsors.
We're currently sitting on only FOUR individual sponsors for a total of $600... and $300 of that $600 was my contribution (and will likely be sending a similar contrib next spring).

We've got no vendor sponsors yet.

So while some counties are sitting on having met or exceeded their goals, we're not even close... at $600 of a total of $3600 needed.

So spread the word and let's get some people opening their wallets to actually do something to help further our goals.
Laws don't change themselves, and lawyers aren't cheap!
What it this? I donate to CGF through payroll deduction. How does one become a sponsor?
Old 08-22-2011, 8:32 AM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauga View Post
DO NOT TAKE ANY CLASS PRIOR TO APPLYING. SBSD has their own class, it is the only one they accept. It is 8 hours, used to be 4ish and $25.
Wow, you just saved me $200, thanks! I have read the requirement for the class in the application process, then came across the class at Turner's. I will just begin the process then and take what class the SD presents.

Glad you guys are here.
Old 08-22-2011, 5:33 PM
SeƱor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
What it this? I donate to CGF through payroll deduction. How does one become a sponsor?
Follow the link(s) on the two images in my signature

The "long one" is the general CGF LTC site, and the SBDO is the direct link to the sponsorship page.

Sponsorship is listed as $100, but of course you can pay more (I went $300 and will likely do the same next spring, it's my way of saying f-u to Obama and spending part of my "making work pay credit" on something that he hates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-22-2011, 7:57 PM

Quote:
They will require you to take their class.
I figured that would be the case. No big deal. At least they don't charge much for it.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Donated
Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 PM

I received my ccw from SBSO last week.

I started the process the first week of December of 2010. I went to SBSO's HQ's at 655 E. Third St. San Bernardino, Ca. 92415 Tel. (909) 387-3750 to pick up a ccw app. Receptionist asked for my ID and asked if I had lived in SB County for more than a year. I said yes. She advised that I needed to apply with the PD since I lived in a city that had one and then gave me the green ccw packet/application.

In my process I actually didn't apply with the PD. I wrote the CoP a letter asking him to write me a denial letter so that I may continue the process with SBSO. It took a little over a month but I finally got what I requested. I am extremely appreciative of what the CoP did for me. Saved me money and I'm sure some time.

I then proceeded with the SBSO app. You must use the packet they issue. It is green in color, numbered, time and date stamped as well.

I filled out the forms had my references and letters completed by the second week of February. I called SBSO's Employee Services Division for my interview and was scheduled for a May 3rd. Had a few months of a wait.

Interview date finally came around. I went in and my firearms were inspected. I filled out some additional paperwork and questionnaire (don't think it was 100) and talked to the investigator. We went over some of the questions in the app, my GC statement signed some papers and it was over. (FYI, my GC statement was 4 paragraphs long. My investigator crossed all but that last paragraph out. I'm sure most of you in SB County can figure what it said). Investigator advised to tell my references to expect something from them within 2 weeks (I was called by 3 of my references on Friday the 6th and they told me they had received info asking questions about me...wow, 3 days later! That was quick). I then went to take a picture and do the live scan down the hall. Returned the paperwork from livescan back to the ccw office. I was then given information and paperwork about the ccw range training course. She said I would be contacted by phone in a few weeks since they did not have one scheduled at the time. The entire process of the interview was painless and not long at all. I believe I was in and out in under an hour. SBSO staff is very professional and helpful.

I was contacted about 2 weeks later and scheduled a range day of June 18th. I went to the class which was an 8 hour course. 18000 Institution Rd. Devore, Ca. 92407 is the address for the range. Very informative if you've never been around or handled any type of firearm. Talked about some laws and safety. Most of us in the class brought our own lunch so we wouldn't stay longer. At the end of class portion we went over to the range and shot a total of 12 rounds per firearm at 7 yards. Again, the class was painless and the staff was great and fun. This is the only course SB County will accept.

Received my permit on the 15th of August. As you can see, it took some time. Be patient if you choose to apply.

Spent $252 not including ammo or firearm. 3 different money orders. One for $112 another for $110 (both due at the time of your interview) and the last for $30 due at the range.

Time from start to finish 9 months.

All in all a painless process. Just prepare to be patient!

Last edited by M.Orozco; 08-24-2011 at 3:00 PM..
Old 08-24-2011, 8:58 PM

When I did mine, I went to Staples and bought cheap green printer paper and used on online PDF file to fill out the application. If I had to do it by hand, I would have been dead, I am a child of the keyboard and type much better than I write

Congrats and start packing!
Old 08-24-2011, 9:50 PM

great info i will be doing the same very soon thanks M.Orozco for the write up
good info do you mine if i pm you with any question i might have
thank you
rob
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
When I did mine, I went to Staples and bought cheap green printer paper and used on online PDF file to fill out the application. If I had to do it by hand, I would have been dead, I am a child of the keyboard and type much better than I write

Congrats and start packing!
I went to kinkos/fedex and printed a second copy in the same color just in case I screwed some of my paperwork up. I wanted to type it up but I had already finished writing everything in so I just turned it in. I'm glad my penmanship isn't too shabby.

Oh and thanks! Been packing for over a week now.
Old 08-25-2011, 3:34 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info M.Orozco. The process on paper seems so daunting, I am glad to hear first hand experiences such as this.
Old 08-25-2011, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Orozco View Post
I received my ccw from SBSO last week.

I started the process the first week of December of 2010. I went to SBSO's HQ's at 655 E. Third St. San Bernardino, Ca. 92415 Tel. (909) 387-3750 to pick up a ccw app. Receptionist asked for my ID and asked if I had lived in SB County for more than a year. I said yes. She advised that I needed to apply with the PD since I lived in a city that had one and then gave me the green ccw packet/application.

In my process I actually didn't apply with the PD. I wrote the CoP a letter asking him to write me a denial letter so that I may continue the process with SBSO. It took a little over a month but I finally got what I requested. I am extremely appreciative of what the CoP did for me. Saved me money and I'm sure some time.

I then proceeded with the SBSO app. You must use the packet they issue. It is green in color, numbered, time and date stamped as well.

I filled out the forms had my references and letters completed by the second week of February. I called SBSO's Employee Services Division for my interview and was scheduled for a May 3rd. Had a few months of a wait.

Interview date finally came around. I went in and my firearms were inspected. I filled out some additional paperwork and questionnaire (don't think it was 100) and talked to the investigator. We went over some of the questions in the app, my GC statement signed some papers and it was over. (FYI, my GC statement was 4 paragraphs long. My investigator crossed all but that last paragraph out. I'm sure most of you in SB County can figure what it said). Investigator advised to tell my references to expect something from them within 2 weeks (I was called by 3 of my references on Friday the 6th and they told me they had received info asking questions about me...wow, 3 days later! That was quick). I then went to take a picture and do the live scan down the hall. Returned the paperwork from livescan back to the ccw office. I was then given information and paperwork about the ccw range training course. She said I would be contacted by phone in a few weeks since they did not have one scheduled at the time. The entire process of the interview was painless and not long at all. I believe I was in and out in under an hour. SBSO staff is very professional and helpful.

I was contacted about 2 weeks later and scheduled a range day of June 18th. I went to the class which was an 8 hour course. 18000 Institution Rd. Devore, Ca. 92407 is the address for the range. Very informative if you've never been around or handled any type of firearm. Talked about some laws and safety. Most of us in the class brought our own lunch so we wouldn't stay longer. At the end of class portion we went over to the range and shot a total of 12 rounds per firearm at 7 yards. Again, the class was painless and the staff was great and fun. This is the only course SB County will accept.

Received my permit on the 15th of August. As you can see, it took some time. Be patient if you choose to apply.

Spent $252 not including ammo or firearm. 3 different money orders. One for $112 another for $110 (both due at the time of your interview) and the last for $30 due at the range.

Time from start to finish 9 months.

All in all a painless process. Just prepare to be patient!
A lot of the things they required from you (e.g. extra paperwork, fees, references, etc) are actually illegal for them to require, but they do anyways.

Old 08-25-2011, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post
A lot of the things they required from you (e.g. extra paperwork, fees, references, etc) are actually illegal for them to require, but they do anyways.
I wonder if it would be wise to respectfully decline to provide the illegal requirements. What would happen if you were to get denied because you politely declined to comply with said illegal requirements?

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old 08-25-2011, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
I wonder if it would be wise to respectfully decline to provide the illegal requirements. What would happen if you were to get denied because you politely declined to comply with said illegal requirements?
That'd be interesting to do with a copy of the CA Penal Code by your side.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't actually want a CCW and just want to make a point, go for it. If you actually want a CCW, not such a good idea.

Either way, these requirement won't be in place for much longer.

Old 08-25-2011, 7:01 PM
CGSSA Associate

I really want it, but I don't want to deal with getting reference letters, employer/neighbor interviews etc. I think I may apply and instead of providing certain things, I'll put a "This page intentionally left blank per PCxxx" or something to that effect. I'm torn. Mostly have an issue with the employer interview. Not very gun
friendly in the HR Dept.
Old 08-25-2011, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quite frankly, I don't care if some LEAs are voluntarily "Shall Issue". When will we get "Shall Issue" mandated by law ?

The point is, even if they have opted to freely issue, you still have to jump through their hoops, and are subject to their whims, tantrums, and, as is the case of Orange county, change of management.

I'm inclined to apply to San Bernardino and get rejected because I won't jump through their unlawful hoops. In other words, I would willingly stare them down and cast down the gauntlet after I smack them across the face with it.

I'll think about it and get back to you on it.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 08-26-2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymz View Post
What would happen if you were to get denied because you politely declined to comply with said illegal requirements?
For starters, this right here would happen
Old 08-29-2011, 6:29 PM

Just FYI, I spoke to a rep at Ammo Brothers (Ontario) and he mentioned a friend who just got his packet and called for an interview appointment. He was told that they had no openings until the middle of next year and they'd put him on a waiting list. When they got to the point they could schedule out far enough, they'd call him.

Quote:
The second amendment of the United States Constitution is not a "loophole". -- California State Senator Doug La Malfa
Old 08-30-2011, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Just FYI, I spoke to a rep at Ammo Brothers (Ontario) and he mentioned a friend who just got his packet and called for an interview appointment. He was told that they had no openings until the middle of next year and they'd put him on a waiting list. When they got to the point they could schedule out far enough, they'd call him.
Yup, they have had to cut down their staff processing CCW's due to budget cuts. They have said their priorities are 1) Renewals (about 1400/year) 2) New applications (about 300 per year) 3) Modifications.

I think if they scaled back their background investigation procedures to be something in line with the rest of the world, they could probably process many more applications with a minimal staff. I don't see the necessity to contact employers, do neighborhood checks talking to your neighbors about your personal business, or calling and writing references. A standard FBI/DOJ background investigation based on your fingerprints should be sufficient. If you don't have any red flags pop you should be good to go.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
this is more messed up than any policies. So its impossible to obtain a permit in the next year then.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivsamhell View Post
this is more messed up than any policies. So its impossible to obtain a permit in the next year then.
What this means is that if you want to start the process, do it now. Even if the policies are changed due to efforts here and elsewhere, you're still closer to the front of the line. Plus, if things are made easier/quicker, then the line will only get longer.

Quote:
The second amendment of the United States Constitution is not a "loophole". -- California State Senator Doug La Malfa
Old 08-30-2011, 5:34 PM
SeƱor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivsamhell View Post
And 37,000 "non violent" felons are being released next month.

Non Violent?

GTA, burglary, robbery.....

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 08-31-2011, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What this means is that if you want to start the process, do it now. Even if the policies are changed due to efforts here and elsewhere, you're still closer to the front of the line. Plus, if things are made easier/quicker, then the line will only get longer.
Which is why I think CaDOJ should be the issuing authority when Cali goes shall issue. If it stays the way it is, even though police and sheriff's departments may be required to issue, the manpower they put in place to satisfy the law will be at their discretion.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 09-02-2011, 3:18 PM
Just Me
CGN Contributor

Picked up my application from SBSO's HQ today. Called to schedule an interview but got voice mail. Received call back from SO and notified that interviews will be scheduled for next year at a later date and a return call will come to set appointment. Now to start compiling all the information they want. I hope I can remember every place I've lived, and every job I've had.
Mark 16:16

Last edited by WASR10; 09-02-2011 at 3:48 PM..
Old 09-03-2011, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Picked up my application from SBSO's HQ today. Called to schedule an interview but got voice mail. Received call back from SO and notified that interviews will be scheduled for next year at a later date and a return call will come to set appointment. Now to start compiling all the information they want. I hope I can remember every place I've lived, and every job I've had.
Yup PITA, but if you don't remember exact addresses and exact details, just put down as much as you remember.
Old 09-06-2011, 8:05 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is still a requirement to be San Bernardino resident for a year prior to applying for a ccw?

I have lived here for nine months now, and have a great GC. I will be applying within the next ten days.

Any help is welcomed
Old 09-07-2011, 3:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki6ktg View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is still a requirement to be San Bernardino resident for a year prior to applying for a ccw?

I have lived here for nine months now, and have a great GC. I will be applying within the next ten days.

Any help is welcomed
Yes, and it'
s illegal for them to require that, but it's still there.

Old 09-07-2011, 5:21 PM
SeƱor Member

But don't worry.... you've been here for 9 months, it'll be at least another 6 before your interview.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2011, 10:38 AM

Default San Bernardino County CCW Question

Hello all... I recently heard that San Berdoo County is denying the CCW carry of 1911 style pistols. Is this in fact true??
Old 09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

I've heard rumors that only DAO pistols are allowed. Others have told me that was FUD. Sorry I can't be of any help.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

There we numerous 1911 style pistols in the range class I attended a year ago.

Can't imagine they'd make such a rule.

Have you called Joyce to ask? 30 seconds out of your life and you'll have your answer.
Old 09-21-2011, 1:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Chuck View Post
What if you're self employed as I am. Do they interview me twice?
I just hope that your boss doesn't give a bad report...