Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 PM

Default LEO to PVT Party Transfer

Hello All,

Got a question for ya, figured you guys might be the best to ask this. It is to my understanding that LEO's can get firearms off the approved list with department approval. Once that weapon is DROS'ed and registered in the state, is it possible to transfer that firearm to someone who isn't a LEO so long as it complies with the capacity restriction?

CAPT. Slow
Old 11-04-2012, 11:07 PM

Off roster guns can be transferred through the PPT process.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just don't ask your friendly acquaintance who is a LEO to buy and then re-sell to you - a couple Sac Sheriff deputies got in a bunch of trouble for that.

But if they no longer need or like something they bought, they may sell their handguns just like any other CA resident.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-05-2012, 5:08 AM
Calguns Addict

If a field agent told you that, then it's an opinion. That requirement is not in any text that I have.
Old 11-05-2012, 5:35 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlowTopGear View Post
Hello All,

Got a question for ya, figured you guys might be the best to ask this. It is to my understanding that LEO's can get firearms off the approved list with department approval. Once that weapon is DROS'ed and registered in the state, is it possible to transfer that firearm to someone who isn't a LEO so long as it complies with the capacity restriction?

CAPT. Slow
Yes. A LEO could buy an off roster gun, decide he does not like it, and sell it to a non-LEO.

However, to buy it simply for the purpose of flipping it to someone else, well to me that sounds like a straw purchase.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 11-05-2012 at 5:43 AM..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
Negative.
i agree
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewXD/G23 View Post
Just has to stay in the LEO's name for 30 days.....
I wish it were that simple, but there is no mandated time nor is there a common 'rule of thumb'. It's undefined, so a bit of a risk; all we can guess is 'longer ownership is less likely to raise questions'.

Do recall that there was a bill introduced this year (that failed) that would have prohibited LEO from reselling off-Roster guns to other CA residents who were not also Roster-exempt.

In my opinion, if the only issue were to be how long one must own a gun before selling it, 'two years' is the absolute safe point - that or longer should never raise an issue.

That is obviously extremely conservative; maybe some other potential seller is comfortable at six months.

I further hold the opinion that 1 month or less is always going to be perilous.

But that's just opinion.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM

I would agree with the above.

The biggest problem, however, is trying to make sense, or set guidelines

For something that is silly to the core.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM

The reason I stated a month minimum is due to DOJ being behind...... If an LEO buys and transfer right away might throw a flag up as a straw purchase for a non roster firearm......