Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-02-2018, 3:10 PM

Thumbs down Turner's Misleading Marlin 336 Ad

Top right, here.

Neighbor alerted me to the ad, basically a 336/30-30/scope pkg. Usual (I guess) disclaimers at bottom of ad about limited quantities, et al. So I go to local store and they push a 336 at me, without scope, on sale for substantially more than the ad. I ask about the 336 ad. "Well, we don't have any of those". Can you get one for me? The sales staff huddles a bit, works the computer a bit, then I'm told "this item is only available at a specific store on a specific date."

Ok, which store/when? They fumble a bit more with the computer and then the store manager shows up and states "we apologize, we are unable to get this item because it is specific to one store and associated with a re-opening event." So, why wasn't this CRITICAL piece of information included in the ad? "I'm not sure, I guess it was overlooked...perhaps you'd like to look at the 336 we have on sale?" Nope, came in to look at the one in the ad.

Since I'm not much of a Turner's shopper (and considerably less so now), is this borderline bait/switch tactic a common practice there?
Old 08-02-2018, 3:15 PM

The only way they will learn is to call corporate and complain. Maybe call the State's consumer line because it is bait and switch. But always check online before going into the store, they usually will say something there or show out of stock. By that, I mean clicking on the ad that takes you to the product page. It has saved me time in the past.
Old 08-02-2018, 3:18 PM

Yea, I was unfamiliar with their on-line ad protocol. When I click the ad, it does say "out of stock". Still, it seems a marginally dishonest way of doing business.
Old 08-02-2018, 3:22 PM

Turns out the Turner's thread addressed this. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1459868
Old 08-02-2018, 3:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Come on, it’s Turners!
Old 08-02-2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
Turns out the Turner's thread addressed this. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1459868
THX!
Old 08-02-2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70runner View Post
Yea, I was unfamiliar with their on-line ad protocol. When I click the ad, it does say "out of stock". Still, it seems a marginally dishonest way of doing business.
So it seems this was all more of a misunderstanding on your part as opposed to being misleading on Turner's part. Yet your retraction is meager to say the least, sort of like a newspaper retraction printed on page 36.

In the gun world, nothing is unlimited, and that includes sale guns.

Turner's is popular because of good availability, good prices, and good service for most folks, me included, including offering alternative products or prices when a sale item is not available, sometimes offered and sometimes granted after being nicely requested.

My only beef is how much time Turner's spends with guys that have been chugging the testosterone supplement all day and come in to look and fondle but don't have enough allowance from their mom saved up to actually buy something. Watching those guys is cheap entertainment as they try to show their boyfriend and the patient Turner's staff just how much they know (a very short conversation).

Grow up and save your flaming furor for something important, like fighting for your 2A Rights.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Come on, its Turners!
^This.

Turners is the worst. It's the place you go to buy firearms when you don't know anything about firearms. I've overheard the salespeople there give such erroneous information it made my head hurt.

I stopped going there because they advertised/sold me a POF rifle that turned out to be a different model altogether (advertised gas piston and sold me a DI) yet when I went there to let them know of their mistake, they told me to pound sand.

Worst part was the manager at the location was so arrogant instead of helping me personally, even though she was about 6 feet from me in her office, she had one of the sales associates deal with me and this poor guy had to go back and forth because he knew they were in the wrong, but had to tell me what she was telling him.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:15 AM
<-- Airplane pic !!!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
^This.

Turners is the worst. It's the place you go to buy firearms when you don't know anything about firearms. I've overheard the salespeople there give such erroneous information it made my head hurt.

I stopped going there because they advertised/sold me a POF rifle that turned out to be a different model altogether (advertised gas piston and sold me a DI) yet when I went there to let them know of their mistake, they told me to pound sand.

Worst part was the manager at the location was so arrogant instead of helping me personally, even though she was about 6 feet from me in her office, she had one of the sales associates deal with me and this poor guy had to go back and forth because he knew they were in the wrong, but had to tell me what she was telling him.
I bet I can guess which Turners it was. Reseda? That guy had me clear a double stovepipe on 92FS when I was to do the safety check. I have NEVER had a SINGLE stovepipe on a 92FS.

Last edited by orangeusa; 08-03-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM

You sir are correct
Old 08-03-2018, 12:53 PM

They have Ruger 9mm LCR's that just went on sale today according to the ad , but it says "Temporarily Unavailable" and they opened at 10 am. Turners is always an interesting type experience.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM

So far, knock on wood, Pasadena Turner;s has been decent. But yes, way too many people looking and not enough buying. Also agree that some of the staff (so far at other Turner's) say things are that are incorrect or not probable considering physics.
Old 08-03-2018, 1:30 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure about the ad in the OP. The Marlin 336 with the scope is on sale at the reopening of the Norwalk Store, they have 15 avalible at that store only, it says it on the ad.
https://www.turners.com/info/norwalk...e#.W2S7UJBlA1I

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-03-2018, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You need to read the ad carefully.
The 336 scoped is only available at the Norwalk store. It's a remodeling sale for that store only. It states that in the special Norwalk remodeling store sale to reduce that stores inventory.

The ad you linked does not have a 336 on sale.

You saw the 336 price and got excited. You didn't take the time to read the ad.

Not Turners fault.
Old 08-03-2018, 3:26 PM
Veteran Member

Ad I saw was for $349.86 by at the Norwalk store only perhaps you read that wrong?

Old 08-03-2018, 4:33 PM

The link in the OP is to the current Turner's ad via their website...so it is not the as they OP saw last week. The ad in the Victorville paper last Friday had the 336 combo and did not say it the Norwalk store only. The ad linked is the ad in today's paper.
Old 08-03-2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
I bet I can guess which Turners it was. Reseda? That guy had me clear a double stovepipe on 92FS when I was to do the safety check. I have NEVER had a SINGLE stovepipe on a 92FS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
You sir are correct
I live in West Hills, and have driven to Oxnard, just so I don't have to ever deal with anybody in that store.
Old 08-03-2018, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is his " CRITICAL " piece of information.

https://www.turners.com/info/norwalk...e#.W2T0-RllBdY
Old 08-03-2018, 6:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Not sure about the ad in the OP. The Marlin 336 with the scope is on sale at the reopening of the Norwalk Store, they have 15 avalible at that store only, it says it on the ad.

https://www.turners.com/info/norwalk...e#.W2S7UJBlA1I
I must have gotten lucky; I DROS'ed one at the Pasadena store this morning!

I saw that ad, knew that it said Norwalk only, but was there to do a PPT on a SIG P210, and figured I'd ask. Pointed to it, asked if they could do it, and they just happened to have that exact package in stock; Marlin 336W in .30-30 Winchester with scope, beautiful walnut stock, $349.86.

Granted it was the only one they had. Turners can surprise you!

Old 08-03-2018, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Here is his " CRITICAL " piece of information.

The ad from this past week (ended 8/2) had the 336 with scope for 399.99 at all stores. Seems OP was duped or they sold out..

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-04-2018, 10:35 AM

Yep - the ad in our paper last week did not state Norwalk only - the 336 combo was the top right gun in the ad.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Read the first paragraph.

This is what he said at the end of the first paragraph.
" this item is only available at a specific store on a specific date."

Refers to the Norwalk sale only.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:37 AM

I found Turners does have some good "sale" prices but like any large chain store you need to read the "fine print"...not always easy if reading the usual Friday newspaper add....typically on small handguns the add says "not at Reseda location"...being in "LA County" it has more restrictions than others.

Few years back I go in to the Oxnard Turners for their "Glocktober" sale. I wanted a specific model that they currently had sold out of in that store but did honor the sale and got the gun from one of their other stores. They even let me look at/hold the model I wanted that they had on the 10 day DOJ hold for another customer.

What I find more painful at Turners is the load of shiat they give you when you pick the gun up. I wanted to smack the smug puke behind counter but just STFU so I could get out of there ASAP....which was 40 minutes...yep 40 minutes of pure BS on how to handle and store the gun under the guise that "these are the laws in CA"..I know the laws and everything he said was pure smug BS.

Regarding the OP...gotta read the "fine print"...
Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Read the first paragraph.

This is what he said at the end of the first paragraph.
" this item is only available at a specific store on a specific date."

Refers to the Norwalk sale only.
I read that - if you read the sentence in the OP this is contained in, it says that is what he was told when he went to the store in response to the ad - not what the ad said. I read the same ad in my paper and it did not say "Norwalk only." The ad should have plainly stated that.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
I found Turners does have some good "sale" prices but like any large chain store you need to read the "fine print"...not always easy if reading the usual Friday newspaper add....typically on small handguns the add says "not at Reseda location"...being in "LA County" it has more restrictions than others.

Few years back I go in to the Oxnard Turners for their "Glocktober" sale. I wanted a specific model that they currently had sold out of in that store but did honor the sale and got the gun from one of their other stores. They even let me look at/hold the model I wanted that they had on the 10 day DOJ hold for another customer.

What I find more painful at Turners is the load of shiat they give you when you pick the gun up. I wanted to smack the smug puke behind counter but just STFU so I could get out of there ASAP....which was 40 minutes...yep 40 minutes of pure BS on how to handle and store the gun under the guise that "these are the laws in CA"..I know the laws and everything he said was pure smug BS.

Regarding the OP...gotta read the "fine print"...
I hope the other customer was there and gave permission... otherwise that's not cool. But then again, I've heard other stories of employees "(mis)handling" customer firearms while in 10day waiting period. Thaaaaat's Turners.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I read that - if you read the sentence in the OP this is contained in, it says that is what he was told when he went to the store in response to the ad - not what the ad said. I read the same ad in my paper and it did not say "Norwalk only." The ad should have plainly stated that.
Your also looking at the wrong sale.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
It's an LA City thing, not a county wide issue.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 08-04-2018, 1:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

This is NOT the ad from the OP. The ad that was originally posted by the OP was last weeks ad, which had the Marlin 336 with scope for 399.98 at ALL STORES.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-04-2018, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

These are the times when you wish your local mom n pop stores were still around.
Old 08-04-2018, 3:43 PM

I used to be in Turner's at least once a week during hunting seasons. Bought several guns from them, thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo, dozens of decoys, waders, knives, cases, etc., from several of their stores. Now I go in once a year, just to buy a license. Why? The kind of crap discussed in this thread. Got tired of going to the store the day the ad came out and being told that they were either out of the advertised items or that the particular store never got any of them. Time is money and I was tired of wasting it. Combine that with the switch away from sporting guns to black guns and tacticool crap, plus the higher prices and reduced selection that evolved over the last few years, and there is little reason for me to use them.
Old 08-04-2018, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
This is NOT the ad from the OP. The ad that was originally posted by the OP was last weeks ad, which had the Marlin 336 with scope for 399.98 at ALL STORES.
Often the quantities are limited. If I want to get one from the ad, I get there asap on the day the ad starts.
If you read the response from thr Turner's guy, they did have limited quantites across the chain.
Usually in the local Turner's, they'll give a rain check - if it's possible. My local guys are always decent and courteous. I do wish they had a faster system to process paperwork,but that's sometimes part of the price.
I'll agree with some above, it's very frustrating to watch them have to deal with tire kickes and wankers. I once watched a guy handling a revolver flick his wrist to close the cylinder. The Truner's guy politely explained that's not how it's done, and took the gun back. So in that case they were a step above some gun store employees.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 08-04-2018, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Often the quantities are limited. If I want to get one from the ad, I get there asap on the day the ad starts.
If you read the response from thr Turner's guy, they did have limited quantites across the chain.
Usually in the local Turner's, they'll give a rain check - if it's possible. My local guys are always decent and courteous. I do wish they had a faster system to process paperwork,but that's sometimes part of the price.
I'll agree with some above, it's very frustrating to watch them have to deal with tire kickes and wankers. I once watched a guy handling a revolver flick his wrist to close the cylinder. The Truner's guy politely explained that's not how it's done, and took the gun back. So in that case they were a step above some gun store employees.
Yup, I've been buying guns from them since the mid 80s, never had a problem and always able to get the gun I want thats on sale.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-04-2018, 6:24 PM

I've only bought 2 guns from Turners, and both of them at the Reseda store. Got a Marlin 1894c in .357mag. The sale price expired the day before I went in and they didn't have one in stock. I called first and the salesman I spoke to said they had 5 in the system and could get one shipped in from another store. They honored the sale price and had the rifle shipped in. My 10 day wait ended up being 16 days though. The other gun I bought from them was a S&W TRR8. They wanted $1250 for it, Rifle Gear had them on sale for $1100. I haggled with them a bit and they agreed to match Rifle Gear's price. Overall I've had a decent experience with them. The only complaint I have with them is they'll have 8-10 people waiting to be helped, they'll have 5 or 6 employee's behind the counter, but only 2 or 3 of them helping customers. It also takes way too long to receive your gun. When I picked up my Marlin it took me about an hour and a half to get out of there. I'd rather get stuff from Rifle Gear but the convenience of not having to deal with the 405 for 70 miles is the only thing that will get me to go to Turners.
Old 08-06-2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:

I looked at the ad that was in my newspaper. How can that be the "wrong" ad? You are looking at a different ad - or should I say "wrong" ad?
Old 08-09-2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
So far, knock on wood, Pasadena Turner;s has been decent. But yes, way too many people looking and not enough buying. Also agree that some of the staff (so far at other Turner's) say things are that are incorrect or not probable considering physics.

You mean to tell me youve never gone to store to ask questions about items you have an interest in without for sure buying anything that day??
Maybe you have money like that, but i want to make sure im going to like what i get so i spend time and ask questions and gather opinions about a prospect i may buy, does it mean i have to buy right then and there? No thats impulse spending and a great way to get something you might regret ater on, which by the way there are no refunds on guns if you arent aware.

Liberals arent the only threat against our gun rights, but its also snobs like you who turn your nose up at those who may not know much about guns yet are coming to try and learn more about them. You should be encouraging new combers at every givin second because with the political system the way it is, we need to get as much support from
Those who are on the fence about firearms as possible. So demonizing someone who comes to place like turners to merely ask questions is pathetic and just ignorant. I have been in the firearm game for a bit, but im patient when i wait for people in front of me who are learning, ill even help them out.

I take my time when it comes to spending money on any item especially one thats a final sale. You should too.
Old 08-10-2018, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
I'm a total CenCal newbie to the Turner's experience, never have been in one of their stores but that's about to change as their Fresno store is now open and I have a doctor's appointment coming up in Fresno.
I recently got on their sales catalog mailing list and looking at the 2018 fall flyer, on the bottom of the front page and on the middle of the back page it clearly states "No Rainchecks".
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
I'm a total CenCal newbie to the Turner's experience, never have been in one of their stores but that's about to change as their Fresno store is now open and I have a doctor's appointment coming up in Fresno.
I recently got on their sales catalog mailing list and looking at the 2018 fall flyer, on the bottom of the front page and on the middle of the back page it clearly states "No Rainchecks".
For the most part there are no rainchecks on most accs, but not all. There's not a specific criteria I can give you as to which are or aren't but easiest way is to talk to the store if we run out and they'll be able to tell you if we're taking rainchecks on that item. Same goes for guns, on most guns we are able to take a certain number of deposits. Once again you just have to ask the associate you are with at the time to see if we are still taking deposits on a given firearm.
Thanks for your interest and I hope you enjoy your visit.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill
Temecula | Torrance | Victorville | West Covina
Fresno (NOW OPEN)
Modesto (NOW OPEN)

22 Stores Located Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 08-11-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneTurnersGuy View Post
For the most part there are no rainchecks on most accs, but not all. There's not a specific criteria I can give you as to which are or aren't but easiest way is to talk to the store if we run out and they'll be able to tell you if we're taking rainchecks on that item. Same goes for guns, on most guns we are able to take a certain number of deposits. Once again you just have to ask the associate you are with at the time to see if we are still taking deposits on a given firearm.
Thanks for your interest and I hope you enjoy your visit.
How about addressing the OPs issue instead of talking around it?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 PM

One thing I learned a long time ago before I started my own business was,,,

If there is a problem, "Any Problem," it is a "Management Problem!" It is up to the head duck to fix it! In that case, it is me!

If there is an unfixed problem,,,

1. That means either Management isn't aware of the problem, which it should be. IE: not paying close enough attention to everyday issues.

2. Management is aware of the problem and hasn't fixed it. Complete lack of duty. Should be fired!

3. Management can't fix the problem, which requires a Policy Change. Failure to make that Policy Change and make it known, constitutes a Rule #2 violation.

The issues with Turner's fall into one or more of the above categories. I have dealt with similar issues with them several times and even though they have a store near me I seldom go there any more simply because they seldom have what I want in stock, they want too much for it, or I can more easily get it someplace else local.

I will shop at a locally owned store before I will shop at a corporate store every time. It keeps my money local to me.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-11-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Old 08-11-2018, 6:39 PM

It's obvious Turner's ran the wrong product/ad in OP's local paper. Advertising mistakes can happen and happens all the time. However, it is still a company's mistake at the end of the day. Usually most company WILL NOT honor the mistake price because of financial sense as everyone will want one at that price. In this case, maybe Turner's can offer OP privately a discount to something else instead just dance around it. Just my worthless $.02 thats all.