Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-18-2017, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Default Kindle Advice?

Am working a light-duty assignment at a local Sutter Hospice Thrift Store while awaiting knee surgery for a Workers Comp injury. My job is testing the Electronic Devices/Appliances people donate to be sure they are in saleable working condition. Have two Kindles that appear to be in good working condition and I'm thinking of buying one to get into reading e-Books. I know nothing about Kindles so I'll try and describe them to aid ID.

The first is a Model #DO1200 and measures approx 6.75" x 4.75" and has a non-color, 6" diagonal display. Power button, Charging port, Headphone jack on bottom edge and two speakers on bottom back. Seems to take/hold a charge and is in good physical condition.

The second I can't make the Model # out on. It measures approx 7.5" x 4.75" with a 7" color display. Power button, Charging port, Headphone jack on bottom edge and two speakers on top edge. Seems to take/hold a charge and is in excellent condition.

So, what am I looking at and which would be the better reader? My gut tells me the newer, color unit but again, I know nothing about Kindles. The Manager at the Thrift Store said I could have the nicer one for $15.

Mark on screen from photo flash

Old 02-18-2017, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

In dim lighting the color version will be better, though the best kindle reader is the paperwhite version. Readable and easier on the eye in all lighting conditions compared to the other two.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 02-18-2017, 2:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

The paperwhite version is the best reader. Particularly ifor you read before going to sleep. Phones, I pads and laptops trick your brain into thinking it's daylight. Paperwhites are front lit, not back lit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-18-2017, 3:20 PM

For reading, go with the B&W one. The battery will last longer. Or in the spirit of Calguns, buy both.
Old 02-18-2017, 4:09 PM
Banned

I have a Kindle 7 color. Love it. My wife likes the Kindle White paper, (the backlit kindle)...and her Ipad mini.
Old 02-18-2017, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

You can get a brand new unit on Amazon for $40.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 02-18-2017, 5:02 PM

Paperwhite.

It's the most comfortable on the eyes and the brightness adjustment is much better for when reading in the dark around others (on a plane or in bed) compared to a tablet.

Quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Old 02-18-2017, 7:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I love Kindles and I've been a Kindle owner since 2011 and during that time have owned a few B&W (a gen-1 Kindle, a first generation Paperwhite, and the new 3G Kindle Oasis) plus one old Kindle Fire tablet. The B&W unit that you found is a 2012 model Kindle Touch. That was a pretty good Kindle e-book reader. These are strictly e-readers and work really well under bright sunlight or in a well-lit room and if the battery is still good (new they last for weeks @ 1-2 hours/day) it may be worth buying. The one in question is wifi only (as opposed to wifi plus 2G or 3G) and includes "special offers" (screensaver based advertising). Brand new they run about $80. Bear in mind that you'll need a reading light to enjoy reading it in bed. If it works and takes and holds a charge then $10-20 seems fair.

The color sounds like a Kindle Fire 7" Tablet. The early Fires were cursed with an awful interface that traps you in Amazon Land and only had 8GB of storage (plenty for an e-reader but not really enough for use as a tablet) and only 6-7 hours of battery life. Kindle Fires are pretty good for streaming Amazon videos and for reading illustrated magazines or even books as long as you are inside during the day but the screen will appear washed out under bright sunlight. Brand new they start at $50 (sometimes less). If you must have a cheap color tablet then get a brand new 16GB version ($70).

The Kindle Paperwhite (prices start around $120 and can go way up depending on options) that everyone is urging you to buy really is a big readability improvement over the Touch because the front-lit screen is much easier to read in low light. There are also two new high-end monochrome Kindle e-readers (Voyage and Oasis) but they are mostly form-factor improvements over the current generation Paperwhite and not a must-have product. They share the same processor and software as the latest Paperwhite and probably aren't worth investing in as a first Kindle. If you can afford it a Paperwhite and a good cover are the best investment.

Most of the above are loaded with books via a wifi connection and require manual wifi configuration and unless bought new require manual setup on Amazon. Hopefully, the old owner removed the device from his/her account, otherwise, setup may be a problem.

If you do buy one then check out http://daily.ereaderiq.com/ for free and low-cost Kindle book deals.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 02-19-2017 at 2:20 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 8:10 PM

Kindles are cool. Almost all copy right expired books are available for free or low cost. Kindles have an email address that is a derivative of your account email. email a pdf and put convert in the subject line and you can read it on your kindle.
Old 02-19-2017, 6:40 PM

I have several kindles and a kindle fire 5th gen tablet. My daughter has a kindle paperwhite with light. For reading and battery life the b/w kindle would be your best bet. The early fire tablets were not real good. You can get the 5th gen tablets for $39.99 now. The one I have I picked up a couple of weeks ago just to see how they have improved.

One of my kindles is the original with a built in keyboard. It's still going strong. I keep one loaded with survival manuals and a solar charger in my gear bag. The problem all kindles have and now so does the nooks is lack of storage. The original nooks could use micro SD cards for book storage. My wife only reads off of the older nooks, she likes to have her 18,000 book library in her reader.

Even with the neutered storage of the kindle you can still get over 1,000 books on it.
Old 02-19-2017, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebla View Post
Kindles are cool. Almost all copy right expired books are available for free or low cost. Kindles have an email address that is a derivative of your account email. email a pdf and put convert in the subject line and you can read it on your kindle.
You can get out of copyright e-books free here:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

If you want this unit as a reader, paperwhite is the way to go as mentioned by others.
Old 02-20-2017, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies, tips & advice!

I've been playing around with the Fire but am having problems with the Touch. I charged it and attempted to register it to my Amazon account but get a "Unable to connect - There was an error while registering your Kindle. Please try again later" message. I reset it to Factory Defaults and tried again with same result. Was able to enter my WiFi password so don't think that's the issue.

Edit - just got off the phone with Amazon and they told me the device is locked to the previous user and that it cannot be registered to a new account unless the prior account is deregistered. Amazon said that only the registered user can do that so I guess the Touch is off to e-waste for recycling - shame as it is very nice condition.

Last edited by WartHog; 02-20-2017 at 1:48 PM..
Old 02-20-2017, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Another e-Reader

I found a Barnes & Noble Nook Glowlight Model BNRV350 in the bottom of the box of stuff I brought home to test. It seems to also be willing to take a charge and is in good physical condition externally - what can you guys tell me about this Nook? How does it compare to a comparable Kindle model? Would I be able to put Kindle books on it or e-books from my Public Library?

Last edited by WartHog; 02-20-2017 at 5:54 PM..
Old 02-20-2017, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
I found a Barnes & Noble Nook Glowlight Model BNRV350 in the bottom of the box of stuff I brought home to test. It seems to also be willing to take a charge and is in good physical condition externally - what can you guys tell me about this Nook? How does it compare to a comparable Kindle model? Would I be able to put Kindle books on it or e-books from my Public Library?
I haven't used it in years but Calibre used to be pretty good at e-book format conversions. I have no idea if it still works but it was a lot of trouble when you can just buy cheap or free Kindle books from Amazon. Not everything is cheap but there are enough free and cheap offering to keep you busy for a while. On top of that, there are offerings from Baen.

As for Kindle vs Nook, Nooks were good but the Kindle Touch for $10-15 is probably a better investment. Really, the only thing wrong with Kindles is Amazon's refusal to provide any way to organize the hundreds or thousands of books you'll accumulate in your online library. With EreaderIQ linking free and low-cost books it doesn't take long for your collection to grow huge.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-20-2017, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, sholling.

The Kindle Touch I have is e-waste as it can't be deregistered. In doing some searching, this Nook with Glowlight appears to compare favorably to the Kindle Paperwhite so I think I'll give it a go as my 1st step into the eReader/eBook world. If using Caliber to convert is too much of a PITA, I'll just move on to a Kindle Paperwhite.
Old 02-20-2017, 8:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Sounds like a plan. If you enjoy cooking you might enjoy these, if they convert.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=...rice-asc-rank&

Old 02-20-2017, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks, sholling.

The Kindle Touch I have is e-waste as it can't be deregistered. In doing some searching, this Nook with Glowlight appears to compare favorably to the Kindle Paperwhite so I think I'll give it a go as my 1st step into the eReader/eBook world. If using Caliber to convert is too much of a PITA, I'll just move on to a Kindle Paperwhite.
I had the Nook and in my opinion it is better than the Kindle since Kindle's main interest seems to be Amazon e-book sales. It is also not as picky on formats, although you will have to convert from Kindle format to something else. Calibre mentioned earlier is great for converting and relatively easy on your desktop or laptop. One negative on the Nook is the screen is very fragile (which is why I longer have one, broke the screen couple months ago), buy a thick cover for it and don't poke it with any objects, otherwise you may crack it or have light spots when the glow is being used.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.G. View Post
One negative on the Nook is the screen is very fragile (which is why I longer have one, broke the screen couple months ago), buy a thick cover for it and don't poke it with any objects, otherwise you may crack it or have light spots when the glow is being used.
Now that you mention that, there is one tiny spot on screen just above center where you can see light coming through.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i got that one its called the kindle touch it also plays mp3s so you can listen to music while you read

how much for it? i hear the color ones play lots of ads but maybe i am wrong

i'd get the color ones so you can more easily read magazine and comic book scan pdfs

chances are the kindle touch missed the updates but its easy to update them
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200790650

i think you can trick reset the account if you set a password say 1234

but then use the password reset code 111222777 it will clear everything (account ,all data )

but like i said you need to update the bios it does take some time cause you have to update in stages since you cant update to the newest without being in the state of the nearest past update just follow the instructions

Last edited by bohoki; 02-20-2017 at 10:40 PM..
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Edit - just got off the phone with Amazon and they told me the device is locked to the previous user and that it cannot be registered to a new account unless the prior account is deregistered. Amazon said that only the registered user can do that so I guess the Touch is off to e-waste for recycling - shame as it is very nice condition.
You can ask Amazon to contact the owner and either return it to them or release it to the lost & found department (i.e. you).
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.” - Hon. Roger T. Benitez, United States District Judge, March 29, 2019
Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus View Post
You can ask Amazon to contact the owner and either return it to them or release it to the lost & found department (i.e. you).
I specifically asked the Amazon dolt if they could contact the prior owner and they said no. Perhaps I need to talk to a supervisor?
Old 02-21-2017, 9:40 AM

Yeah, talk to a supervisor. They send emails to Amazon subscribers all the time and know who the original owner is.

Some people over-think things....
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.” - Hon. Roger T. Benitez, United States District Judge, March 29, 2019
Old 02-21-2017, 4:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

amazon has no incentive to get your old kindle working they got their money for that kindle they want you to buy another
Old 02-21-2017, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

So, I followed bohoki's advice in post #19 and was able to successfully update the Kindle Touch software to the latest version. Tried to reset the password by entering 111222777 but it wouldn't accept the code. Out of frustration, I then attempted to reset the unit using the reset option in the units Settings AND WAS SUCCESSFUL! I was then able to register it to my Amazon account.

Now to play around with both the Nook Glowlight and the Kindle Touch to see which I like better or maybe buy both if I can get them cheap!
Old 02-23-2017, 2:24 PM

If that Nook glowlight is one of the prior versions that have an SD slot you made a good find. You can use the free ebook management program calibre to convert any format of ebook to any other, including removing DRM encryption. The first thing I do when I buy an ebook off of amazon is to convert it to the nook .epub format and strip the DRM.

Calibre is constantly being updated by the designer and makes managing ebooks super easy.
Old 02-25-2017, 2:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So, I followed bohoki's advice in post #19 and was able to successfully update the Kindle Touch software to the latest version. Tried to reset the password by entering 111222777 but it wouldn't accept the code. Out of frustration, I then attempted to reset the unit using the reset option in the units Settings AND WAS SUCCESSFUL! I was then able to register it to my Amazon account.

Now to play around with both the Nook Glowlight and the Kindle Touch to see which I like better or maybe buy both if I can get them cheap!
Let us know how they work out.

Old 02-25-2017, 3:00 PM
Calguns Addict

If I happened across one of those for 20 or less I would probably buy it, I have 2 if the keyboard ones, 1 like the one in OP, and a paperwhite, the only thing I don't like is storage capacity, one is filled with military FMs, another with comm stuff, the no keyboard one I use for actual reading. I also would recommend not color for battery lasting longer, i store a goal zero guide 10 with my 'survival' ones and can charge them both fully with that on a sunny day, and that retains charge a few months with no use, reading time is quite a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 5:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Amazon has refurbed Kindle Paperwhite's on sale for $80 (and up, depending on options). These are the newer 300dpi Paperwhites.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QJEL42Y

Quote:
About the Product
  • A Certified Refurbished Paperwhite E-reader is refurbished, tested, and certified to look and work like new
  • New, higher resolution display (300 ppi)--now with twice as many pixels
  • Now with Bookerly, our exclusive font, hand-crafted from the ground up for faster reading with less eyestrain
  • Built-in adjustable light--read day and night
  • Unlike tablets, no screen glare, even in bright sunlight
  • A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
  • Massive selection, lowest prices--over a million titles at $2.99 or less
  • Prime members read free with unlimited access to over a thousand titles