Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-14-2017, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy93 View Post
OP here: Officially received confirmation notice of submission on 14 of my 29 submissions telling me that I will be notified by mail lol...only took 3 and a half months

14 of 29 expect notification by mail notice (haven't received any approval yet)
6 of 29 80% incomplete and awaiting doj serial numbers
9 of 29 still processing
From what we’ve seen, those 14 are approved. Who knows what will happen with the 80 percent guns. This whole serial number thing is criminal. Hopefully you get notices on the other 9 soon.

It seems that any “exotic” builds trip these guys up.. which is understandable I guess as they’re probably a bunch of temp employees hired off the street
Old 11-14-2017, 10:24 PM

I submitted a month ago and already got approval. Why so fast?
Old 11-15-2017, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmichael View Post
I submitted a month ago and already got approval. Why so fast?

Maybe you only registered a few guns, they were all purchased post 2014 and you’re a good photographer?
Old 11-15-2017, 6:16 AM

The delay is probably trying to get as many weapons as possible to be classified as assault weapons.
Old 11-15-2017, 6:17 AM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

I'm going to be trickling my collection in a few at a time, it's going to cost me but after reading so many problems with people submitting lots at once I feel like they scrutinize people with more a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 11-15-2017, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Any updates for ak builders with home made serials?
Old 11-15-2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah Munroe View Post
Maybe you only registered a few guns, they were all purchased post 2014 and you’re a good photographer?
All of them are indeed true

Some (e.g. my wife) might disagree with the last one
- Maximum Capacity: 2
Old 11-15-2017, 3:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
I'm going to be trickling my collection in a few at a time, it's going to cost me but after reading so many problems with people submitting lots at once I feel like they scrutinize people with more a lot more.
I submitted a lot of rifles all at once and didnt have any problems at all. I took very clear photos. I carefully checked all the correct boxes for features; telescoping stock, pistol grip, foregrip, flashider, etc. I had all the correct purchase information; dates, dealer, addresses, ppt seller. etc. And finally all my receivers were already in the drop down list, no exotic or homemade makers; Anderson, Nodak Spud, Colt, FN, CMMG, Windham, etc.

So I think if you pay close attention to detail and have all the information about when and where you purchased your firearms/receivers you should be good to go. Stuff like homebuilds from 80%s, exotic makers, missing info, bad photos will screw you over.

The application is extremely onerous. After I submitted I thought how there is no way 90% of people would be able to successfully complete. Especially anyone who is computer illiterate or doesnt have internet. Most people are basically screwed before they even try and thats not counting the vast majority of people that are completely unaware that they need to register. It is a huge clusterphuq.

I highly recommend that everyone that wants to register, start as soon as you can. And please help others that you know who want to register. Unless you are a career paper pusher and are very detail oriented the process will be impossible for most people. They simply wont be able to figure it out. Its actually really easy if your mind is wired to think a certain way.

Last edited by Tere_Hanges; 11-15-2017 at 3:10 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 6:55 PM

the procedure seems to be as follows:

all firearms are computer cross check with dates acquired and drop start dates, automatically rejecting those that don't match. then they assign a task to various groups of people.

first group manually go through every submission and make sure the make is correct.

First group while your at it, please make sure the photos are correct with all legible information, if you can't tell, reject the photos as well.

next group, check the model and make sure it is correct, if you can't tell, reject the photo as well.

next group, check the caliber is correct, if you can't tell, reject the photo as well. and so on.

different people in each group on different days will miss or handle things differently than one another due to how difficult some of these tasks are to remember to check everything and cross reference with the photo. they get tired, hungry, and make human errors too.

Utilizing this method, the same firearm can be rejected multiple times for different reasons rather than one time with all the reasons listed. it is faster on their end, but ultimately drags out the entire process on our end.

once it has gone through the various groups it gets passed on to the next group to be part of their assignment, and when it gets to the last group for whatever they have to check, it gets the "you will be notified by mail" confirmation email.
Old 11-18-2017, 7:48 PM

Hey guys, new member here.

I work for a custom firearms shop in Texas, and I have a friend who lives in Oakland, CA who wants to buy a couple from us.

We make custom Vepr 12 AK shotguns.

Our company has sold to CA customers before, but its typically "on them" to do everything on their end before and after we ship the firearm to their FFL.

Basically I want to become educated and a good resource for my friend and others so I can walk him through the process and be knowledgable instead of just saying "go to your local gun store and have them sort it out"

My questions are as follows, and please forgive me if they are Cali compliant noob/have been covered before, etc.

-Before purchasing a custom order for a tactical shotgun, does the customer have to apply for anything special?

-What is the maximum capacity for a magazine fed shotgun allowed in CA?

-Does the customer have to register an AK shotgun as an AW? If so, when must this take place, what is the timeframe, is it done on the spot at the FFL or what?

-Are any features besides extended magazine release banned in CA when it comes to these magazine fed, semi auto shotguns?

-Are some shops more skillful at handling transfers/guns that have to be registered as AW than others? I know some shops hate doing transfers period and charge ridiculous money...any reccomedations from anyone for good FFLs in the Oakland area?

I DO know that a bullet button is required, but thats about it lol.

Would really appreciate any input on this issue, or just point me to the right resources/threads please.

Thanks!

-V

Last edited by VforVandetta; 11-18-2017 at 7:51 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
I submitted a lot of rifles all at once and didnt have any problems at all. I took very clear photos. I carefully checked all the correct boxes for features; telescoping stock, pistol grip, foregrip, flashider, etc. I had all the correct purchase information; dates, dealer, addresses, ppt seller. etc. And finally all my receivers were already in the drop down list, no exotic or homemade makers; Anderson, Nodak Spud, Colt, FN, CMMG, Windham, etc.

So I think if you pay close attention to detail and have all the information about when and where you purchased your firearms/receivers you should be good to go. Stuff like homebuilds from 80%s, exotic makers, missing info, bad photos will screw you over.

The application is extremely onerous. After I submitted I thought how there is no way 90% of people would be able to successfully complete. Especially anyone who is computer illiterate or doesnt have internet. Most people are basically screwed before they even try and thats not counting the vast majority of people that are completely unaware that they need to register. It is a huge clusterphuq.

I highly recommend that everyone that wants to register, start as soon as you can. And please help others that you know who want to register. Unless you are a career paper pusher and are very detail oriented the process will be impossible for most people. They simply wont be able to figure it out. Its actually really easy if your mind is wired to think a certain way.
Good post.

Basically get all your stuff in order before you start (CLEAR HI RES PICS, purchase dates, makes, models, serials, etc.

You will have an opportunity to proofread everything before you submit. Also, I'd reccomend taking advantage of the notes section if you feel the person reviewing might be unclear.

Remember these aren't gun people reviewing these. More information is probably better.
Old 11-18-2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VforVandetta View Post
Hey guys, new member here.

I work for a custom firearms shop in Texas, and I have a friend who lives in Oakland, CA who wants to buy a couple from us.

We make custom Vepr 12 AK shotguns.

Our company has sold to CA customers before, but its typically "on them" to do everything on their end before and after we ship the firearm to their FFL.

Basically I want to become educated and a good resource for my friend and others so I can walk him through the process and be knowledgable instead of just saying "go to your local gun store and have them sort it out"

My questions are as follows, and please forgive me if they are Cali compliant noob/have been covered before, etc.

-Before purchasing a custom order for a tactical shotgun, does the customer have to apply for anything special?

-What is the maximum capacity for a magazine fed shotgun allowed in CA?

-Does the customer have to register an AK shotgun as an AW? If so, when must this take place, what is the timeframe, is it done on the spot at the FFL or what?

-Are any features besides extended magazine release banned in CA when it comes to these magazine fed, semi auto shotguns?

-Are some shops more skillful at handling transfers/guns that have to be registered as AW than others? I know some shops hate doing transfers period and charge ridiculous money...any reccomedations from anyone for good FFLs in the Oakland area?

I DO know that a bullet button is required, but thats about it lol.

Would really appreciate any input on this issue, or just point me to the right resources/threads please.

Thanks!

-V
1.nothing to apply for in California

2.10 rounds in a magazine (no magazines greater than 10 rounds are legal in this state

3. the customer is only eligible to register firearms that were purchased and delivered to him after his 10 day wait prior to January 2017. (buying one now is not eligible to register.)

4. no detachable magazine fed shotguns are legal in California. Prior to 2017, a bullet button magazine fed shotgun (ak style with ak mag guard) were legal for sale in California. Technically by statute, it is still legal as the new laws revolving shotguns were not affected. However, DOJ issued regulations that included shotguns and there is currently a lawsuit against the doj to fight and clarify this. Due to this fact, you will not find a dealer in California willing to transfer any shotgun that does not have a "fixed" magazine (requiring either disassembly of the action to remove, or a magazine that is welded to the receiver.)

#4. answer should answer all of your questions. in summary, no vepr 12 shotguns are legal for sale or transfer in California since 2017 due to backdoor DOJ regulations outlawing them.
Old 11-18-2017, 9:52 PM

Good lord! What a bummer.

So even if someone has one that they owned prior to 1/1/17, they can't sell them to somebody unless its outside CA?

Also is there no provision for someone that uses it specifically for sporting purposes like competitive shooting? That's worse than Europe!

-V
Old 11-30-2017, 5:22 PM

** UPDATE **

I requested serial numbers for 2 home built AR pistols ~5 weeks ago via regular certified mail. Application was kicked back because they claim I did not select a "firearm type" even though I clearly wrote in "Pistol." They might have gotten confused because I named the model of my receiver also "Pistol." I engraved "Mod: Pistol" on the receiver, meaning the model is also called "Pistol" and they got confused. FYI, my engraver suggested I put "Mod: Pistol" to avoid confusion over where it's an SBR or not. Could make all the difference with the average police officer.

I'm going to resubmit a clean application via email and call the model "AR15" and firearm type "Pistol" to see if it goes through. I'm gonna call Chuck Michel see if they can use this correspondence against the DOJ in their lawsuit. DOJ rejected my application despite that it's correctly filled out and completed. And that their reason for rejection is false. If applications are being arbitrarily and systematically rejected, then applicants are being disenfranchised. It's like going to the vote at a poll location with your ID, and the poll worker claims you don't have an ID despite the fact that you are displaying it right in your hand.

See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171130_180816429_HDR.jpg (85.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171130_180752411_HDR.jpg (92.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by troyPhD; 11-30-2017 at 5:28 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 5:40 AM

It seems if you're submitting rifles now they're processing them pretty quickly.

I submitted 3 rifles on Saturday and Wednesday I got 2 Incompletes (had to fix photos on TAVOR (wider shots of rcvrs) and LE6920 they wanted me to call it an M4 CARBINE because that's what's listed on the side of rcvr) and the third was accepted.

I resubmitted and the M4 Carbine came back the next day as done. Still waiting on if they accepted my wider shots on the TAVOR - they wanted me to include the entire pistol grip housing. If they don't like these either. I'll do what caliguy93 did and just take a picture of the entire sides of the TAVOR and just leave off the barrel protrusion at the end. The only reason I'm reticent to take such a wide shot is I want to ensure the serial number is legible. The only reason they needed pictures of the receivers was to see the caliber, model name, and most importantly serial number. My original photos they're being so anal about included all that information already.

If you register a TAVOR include as an OPTIONAL image a picture of the 5.56 caliber marking on the barrel since it's not listed on the receiver. I also wrote a comment stating I included an optional image of the caliber marking. I also wrote as a comment my TAVOR has a 4 1/2" muzzle brake on the end of the barrel. <---- I wrote that because the only evil feature I checked was pistol grip and I didn't want someone at the DOJ to think the muzzle brake that came with the weapon was a flash suppressor.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Why is the DoJ requesting details about the firearm (other than the BB) when what you are registering is the serialized part?

Will they make the claim that you are not allowed to change ANYTHING on the firearm, even though they only explicitly call out the magazine release mechanism (and they only did this out of panic)?

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 12-02-2017, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Why is the DoJ requesting details about the firearm (other than the BB) when what you are registering is the serialized part?

Will they make the claim that you are not allowed to change ANYTHING on the firearm, even though they only explicitly call out the magazine release mechanism (and they only did this out of panic)?
DOJ can try whatever they want, claim whatever they want. Most of what they're doing isn't supported by the penal code language and makes the registration scheme vulnerable to legal strike down. The more they do, the more vulnerable the law becomes to the lawsuits that are working their way through the court system.

The reality is that after registration people will be changing out parts, backing out rad locks, etc and 99.999999999999999% of the time it won't even be an issue. Even if you are the most unlucky person in the world, whatever charges won't stick since there're nothing in the penal code to support the charge.
Old 12-02-2017, 8:20 AM

This whole process is a waste of time. My AR is reg per the law.
All the state of ca has to do is print an exception report of any weapon & transfer that file to a new location! I'm waiting!
Old 12-02-2017, 8:24 AM

BTW: If one decides to change their AR to conform rather than reg.

If a manufacture makes any changes at all that weapon must go thru re-cert to remain on Ca roster; yet, they're forcing us to make changes to our already reg AR's due to gov red tape BS!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyPhD View Post
The more they do, the more vulnerable the law becomes to the lawsuits that are working their way through the court system.
But anyone who predicts these lawsuits are doomed to failure is deemed a "genius" here when they each fail, even though a complete moron could make that prediction.

Draw your own conclusions as to the odds of ANY wins.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Old 12-02-2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
But anyone who predicts these lawsuits are doomed to failure is deemed a "genius" here when they each fail, even though a complete moron could make that prediction.

Draw your own conclusions as to the odds of ANY wins.
OK fair enough about the lawsuits that's not really a major issue for us. That was sort of a meaningless tangent on my part.

But to answer your concern, it still stands that in the real world people will be doing whatever they want after receiving their RAW approvals and there's no legal recourse for the DOJ despite what they say.
Old 12-02-2017, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
there's no legal recourse for against the DOJ
Fixed it for you. Expect any legal challenge to fail. The courts are stacked.

Old 12-04-2017, 3:04 PM

Hey everyone, *UPDATE* again.

I emailed a the serial number request form to DOJSerialNumber@doj.ca.gov this morning and received receipt confirmation within 2 hours. Will keep everyone posted. The form is below.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/bof-1008.pdf
Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Default PS90 and AR Pistol...???

I had a couple of questions about AWR my PS90... In the Type is it a drop down with choices and if not what would I put as type BULLPUP ??? Same goes for my AR and my AR Pistol ??? Also no one has mentioned wether or not that the Full Length Pictures need to be with a Measuring Device to show OAL such as in the case of my PS90 which meets OAL and has a 16"barrel... I hope some of you can help with some insight and I can get these registered... Thanks in Advance , Roland Navalta / Ikaika808
Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, *UPDATE* again.

I emailed a the serial number request form to DOJSerialNumber@doj.ca.gov this morning and received receipt confirmation within 2 hours. Will keep everyone posted. The form is below.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...s/bof-1008.pdf

You got acknowledgement? I got nothing and I submitted it 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-08-2017, 9:33 PM

Default what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
Yeah, really. I did two guns and got my paperwork back in less than two weeks. Who cares about $15. If you are into guns, then you know 30 rounds is $15. If paying $15 three times bothers you, to register 6k in rifles, then shooting is not for you.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Just catching up all of this stuff and realized I haven’t heard anything back from when I submitted everything in August. Today I went online and saw that my application is still processing. I sent an email and a message online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post
Just catching up all of this stuff and realized I haven’t heard anything back from when I submitted everything in August. Today I went online and saw that my application is still processing. I sent an email and a message online.

Something is out of whack. I was done (including DOJ dictated changes) in 4 weeks.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Default (GENERAL How Does Registration Work thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Something is out of whack. I was done (including DOJ dictated changes) in 4 weeks.

I just went through a ton of my office crap and found this. Is that an official approval letter?

This what I see online and why I am/was confused:

Last edited by jwtiger69; 12-19-2017 at 9:27 AM..
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Default (GENERAL How Does Registration Work thread)

Last edited by Blade Gunner; 12-19-2017 at 6:15 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
That’s the approval letter. Scan it and save it. Make copies and put one in every gun case you use for it.

Thank God I dont throw anything away. Lol... thanks!!! Making 100 copies as we speak!

Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post

This may end up helping the legal challenges against this law.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM

In my experience the Cfars Issue log function is worthless. You ask a question and you get a general canned answer that makes you wonder if they even read your message, or even know what is really going on
Old 12-13-2017, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtiger69 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I just went through a ton of my office crap and found this. Is that an official approval letter?

This what I see online and why I am/was confused:
[IMG][/IMG]

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here or I've misread this...

You are aware that is an approval of a Firearm Ownership Report, not an Assault Weapon Registration?

I'll hate for you to think you registered it as an assault weapon when it's not.

Last edited by CorbinDls; 01-02-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 7:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinDls View Post
Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here or I've misread this...

You are aware that is an approval of a Firearm Ownership Report, not an Assault Weapon Registration?

I'll hate for you to think you registered it as an assault weapon when it's not.
Good catch. You are right. That is basically a VolReg accepted letter, NOT an AW registration letter.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Has anyone registered an AR or Tavor/X95 as "multi-caliber" or "interchangeable barrel"? If so, did DOJ approve such registrations, request more info, or kick them back? Thanks.

Also, if you have any doubt about whether a muzzle device can be considered a flash hider, is it advisable to check flash hider as a feature on the application? I'm just thinking that if you ever de-register, they could use it to claim that your muzzle device is a flash hider even if it's not clear. But if you don't check it, the application might get kicked back if the reviewer thinks it's a flash hider. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 1:27 PM

OK, gonna get mine done over the holidays. Main open question I am still not sure on... Date Acquired

I have the DROS form they gave me when I bought the lower (the date I went into the shop, plunked down my $, and they said "come back in 10 days").

At the top there is a "Transaction Date/Time". This is what I use, correct?
Old 12-16-2017, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuti View Post
OK, gonna get mine done over the holidays. Main open question I am still not sure on... Date Acquired

I have the DROS form they gave me when I bought the lower (the date I went into the shop, plunked down my $, and they said "come back in 10 days").

At the top there is a "Transaction Date/Time". This is what I use, correct?

DROS date is what matches their records.

Old 12-19-2017, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

FYI

They seem to be processing these WAY faster now..
I helped a friend submit 5 last night. He already got the "you will be notified by mail" email for all 5 submissions by 1:30pm today.
Old 12-19-2017, 4:07 PM

Update:

I requested serials for 80% builds early December via email. They emailed me back today with the assigned numbers. Also, here's a key thing now issued in writing: One needs to start the registration process by Saturday June 30, 2018.