Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Default Gap in SHTF Preps -- Fire Evacuations

So my wife's sister family gets the mandatory evacuation alert in the Sylmar fire around 1130 or so last night. They are coming to our house right now, 4 people total.

I always assumed in my SHTF preps it would be just our immediate family (3) I would need to take care of.

Spare bedroom queen bed took care of the two daughters. Their son stayed at a friends house. Drag out the inflatable bed (never used, receipt from 2009) from the garage. The air inflator that comes it with it uses D batteries, we have none.

I have batteries for the flashlights, CR123 as well as Lanterns, 9Vs, AAs and AAAs. Fortunately, I have a 120v plug in inflator to pump up the bed. No electricity from a blackout would have made the bed useless. Have a Honda 2000i in a real dire situation.

Air bed is too small for sister and husband. Sister says husband gets it as he has bad back and needs to get to work tomorrow. Sister uses the living room recliner chair as a bed.

We need some fold out cots and another, possibly two more air beds.

You just never know what you going to have to deal with at a moments notice...

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 12-07-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Good luck. Stay strong. I'm sure you'll do fine.

If it's a true SHTF scenario people can sleep on the floor. If you've got a house and safety and food then you're doing well. I wouldn't try to plan for comfort in uncomfortable times.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Since we are in socal. A couple of big5 sleeping bags and mats.
You don't need real warm sleeping bags where we are.
Hope their home is ok.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you've been shown some of your prep shortcomings in the gentlest possible way -- you can just drive to the store and get whatever / whenever.

Hope everyone is OK
Old 12-07-2017, 6:00 PM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just a different point of view but is it a shortcoming or not a shortcoming.
One evening at dinner with my son and his wife, daughter and her husband and my wife I asked the question.
I you need to evacuate you living area for some reason where do we meet and who is coming with you.

Answer:
Son and Wife = one young son, 1 cat, wifes parents, her sister and probably her boyfriend, another cat, maybe a fathers brother.

Daughter and husband = 1 dog and 1 cat, and a mother, two brothers with wives and multiple kids, moms sister and brother and more and more and more.

And they converge at my home.
So should me preps be for 6 adults, one child, 2 dogs and 4 cats
or
All the above which equals 39 and counting

My food store go to zero in 2 days or I say no?

Just a different thought nothing more.

Here to help

Pennys Dad
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association
CALGUNS official 501 C3 Non-Profit

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 12-07-2017, 6:10 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
Son and Wife = one young son, 1 cat
Daughter and husband = 1 dog and 1 cat
Only these, everybody else can find their own refuge.

Forgot to mention our evacuees brought an extra dog as well. But that dog visits often so it got along well with our two.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 12-07-2017 at 6:13 PM..
Old 12-07-2017, 6:21 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennys dad View Post
And they converge at my home.

So should me preps be for 6 adults, one child, 2 dogs and 4 cats
or
All the above which equals 39 and counting

My food store go to zero in 2 days or I say no?

Just a different thought nothing more.
If they're planning to come live with you, I think it would be fair to ask 'Besides your wonderful selves, what do you plan to bring?'

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-07-2017, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Evacuees that are related should have an open door when their dookie has hit the flame/flood/quake fan. Good job OP.
I consider it an automatic responsibility for family to look out for each other.

BUT, they are still guests in your home and should act accordingly .
Establish ground rules early and enforce them.
Time limits are essential for getting them on their feet or into a motel nearby.
They must contribute something every day for the duration.

Good luck and try not to go nuts.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 12-07-2017, 9:09 PM

Nothing is more important than family. Saying that and have gone thru a huge fire a couple years ago, I will forever extend my hand to people in need.

We did great with our fire preps at the ranch. didn't lose anything but some burnt fence posts that needed replacing anyways and a little singed paint on a pump.

We were blessed to be able to feed bathe and rest a bunch of firefighters that spent days trying to save others property.