Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-19-2012, 1:27 AM

Default Range Date

Hey ladies!

Call it serendipity, but I have a date with a girl coming soon and the destination has been determined as some sort of range, or possibly BLM land. I'm not too sure which would be better necessarily, however maybe that can be helped. She's shot before, however not too much. She does own her own rifle, which I have to admit is way wicked cool. I've shot with girls before and even taught some to shoot, however this is a new animal altogether. Part of me is pretty excited that she'll enjoy something that is a passion of mind, and another part dreads it.

I'm fishing for tips.
Old 11-19-2012, 7:56 AM

Personally, I would feel better about a range date. I would feel a bit better about a range until I knew how this new date felt about safety and I had a chance to watch his gun handling and safety skills.

After shooting a trip to a quiet time at a coffee shop or lunch would top off a great date.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM

I'd be nervous about going out to somewhere deserted with someone I didn't know well, so a range date would probably be my pick too - but check out the range in question first. Some ranges have a reputation for collecting yahoos with bad attitudes and worse safety habits, and I'd be righteously pissed off if a date took me to one of those. Getting hit on by a**holes would ruin a date; getting shot would ruin it faster.

Personally, a trip to the range followed by a sushi dinner would be my absolute dream date...but that's just me.

Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown

Last edited by tlcwrites; 11-19-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 2:30 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

no to the BLM range date idea.
yes to an outdoor range....properly run and not gangsta.
yes, to a bite to eat afterwards...or coffee/tea/dessert.
plus points for making sure there is at a minimum a portapotty within easy walking distance.
extra water just in case also earns brownie points.
have fun!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlacksheep View Post
I have a date with a girl coming soon and the destination has been determined as some sort of range
Who determined the destination? Does she know it is an actual date?

A first date shooting sounds about as ghetto and or hillbilly as you can get. It is pretty difficult to communicate with the noise and hearing protection, so the lack or dialogue may lead to no second date if you don't freak her out with too much zeal for firearms.

To me, this would be a parallel to having a female invite me to a first date at the Louis Vuitton store, so I can buy her a purse.

Sorry, I accidentally wandered into the Ladies Forum
Old 11-20-2012, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

The Mans got the COURAGE to come on here & ask the Ladies & ur gonna Dogpile Him???

Take her to the Range (already decided) Be a Gentleman, Let her Hang her Targets & don`t help her, unless asked...Have a little "Shootoff" make it Fun!

If it goes well, take her out for a Bite! If it`s meant to be....

Have fun Dude! GOOD LUCK!
Old 11-20-2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
Who determined the destination? Does she know it is an actual date?

A first date shooting sounds about as ghetto and or hillbilly as you can get. It is pretty difficult to communicate with the noise and hearing protection, so the lack or dialogue may lead to no second date if you don't freak her out with too much zeal for firearms.

To me, this would be a parallel to having a female invite me to a first date at the Louis Vuitton store, so I can buy her a purse.

Sorry, I accidentally wandered into the Ladies Forum
You're wrong, JMP, just wrong. Your prejudices about women shooters are showing.

A range date is fine for a woman who shoots. As for communication, that's the point Movie Zombie made, about coffee or lunch after shooting. At good commercial ranges, they have cease fires, plenty of time to chat. I'd love a morning at a good shooting club followed by brunch.

No woman in her right mind would do a first date at anything but a commercial range or an established shooting club (no BLM, etc.) I'd feel safer at a shooting club or commercial range than at any Starbucks in the world.

The women here have said they think it's fine, assuming the lady in question is a shooter and wants to be there in the first place. And the gentleman in question should not be shocked if she seriously out shoots him. It happens.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 11-20-2012, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
no to the BLM range date idea.
yes to an outdoor range....properly run and not gangsta.
yes, to a bite to eat afterwards...or coffee/tea/dessert.
plus points for making sure there is at a minimum a portapotty within easy walking distance.
extra water just in case also earns brownie points.
have fun!
I doth protest!

A BLM date is quite fun, as long as one takes advantage of it. First, one must find a beautiful spot to shoot at. This could take some work since the typical outdoor shooting area has brass and shotgun cases everywhere, so find a nice beautiful spot that's not so secluded she'll freak out.

Second, use the space to your advantage. The great thing that I love about shooting outdoors is that YOU control the safety and pace of things. There's nothing worse than going to an indoor range and finding a Tactical Tom in the next lane oogling your woman between mag dumps , & there's nothing romantic about an untrained moron constantly sweeping you and her with their bugger on the bang switch either.

Outdoors, you can relax, show her the safe and proper handling of firearms, and if YOU know what you're doing you can even demonstrate holster drills and some competition oriented setups. Best part about it is, you don't have to worry about range restrictions or Tactical Tom.

When the ammo box runs dry put away the hardware, lay out a blanket, pull out a picnic basket, and let the rest take its course.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 11-20-2012, 5:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Oops! Just wandering back out......

I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Secret Club Member?.
Old 11-20-2012, 6:02 PM

oh, Silver, i usually think your posts are right on.....but, my dear dear Silver, the BLM range date is a no go..... this is best left for a 2nd range date after explaining what facilities may or may not exist. on that 2nd range date your suggestsions re selecting a pretty location and perhaps even packing a picnic would be a good one. however, setting one's self up to teach someone shooting on a a first or early date is a recipe for disaster with some women. not all gun owners are cut out to "teach"......

i believe the woman has a rifle so the assumption that she is a shooter is a valid one. Bonnie makes a valid point that at a properly run range there are rules and what better way to learn the rules than on a date with our OP? as a female i'd feel more at risk on BLM land if this is a date with someone i didn't know that well.

come on, bruce, what is your take on the matter?
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-20-2012, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

If you take her out to a first date on BLM land, make sure to go all the way and rent an RV or something. That way, after she sees you laughing maniacally while bump firing and talking about how some people on the internet taught you everything you need to know about avoiding cops, you can be assured that she won't be able to wait for you to make her a meal of bacon and onion rings. After she sees that you've written her a nice poem in lipstick on the mirror in the van, she'll probably be yours.

Oh, and remember to remind her that you're both miles away from everyone and keep on referring to "implications" without going into detail.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 11-20-2012, 7:13 PM

Don't forget the Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey.
Old 11-20-2012, 8:06 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
You're wrong, JMP, just wrong. Your prejudices about women shooters are showing.

A range date is fine for a woman who shoots. As for communication, that's the point Movie Zombie made, about coffee or lunch after shooting. At good commercial ranges, they have cease fires, plenty of time to chat. I'd love a morning at a good shooting club followed by brunch.

No woman in her right mind would do a first date at anything but a commercial range or an established shooting club (no BLM, etc.) I'd feel safer at a shooting club or commercial range than at any Starbucks in the world.

The women here have said they think it's fine, assuming the lady in question is a shooter and wants to be there in the first place. And the gentleman in question should not be shocked if she seriously out shoots him. It happens.
I am assuming the woman isn't a shooter. Any woman that has an account here is going to be automatically biased toward shooting as a positive.

If the converse were to occur, I think it would be strange for a woman to invite me on a first date to a shooting range if I wasn't a shooter.

I have no prejudice toward women shooters.
Old 11-20-2012, 8:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And the gentleman in question should not be shocked if she seriously out shoots him. It happens.
I'm a decent shot, but I've had women I taught to shoot literally an hour before out shoot me. This is one of the few times I actually enjoy getting out shot, when someone who I taught beats me

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 11-20-2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
...... She's shot before, however not too much. She does own her own rifle, which I have to admit is way wicked cool. .......

am i the only one that actually read the OP?!
Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
am i the only one that actually read the OP?!
I bombart the OP once a day, as you know. But, I notice that your posting has quadrupled since you joined the CL.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM

my comment was not directed at you, JMP, but at the population at large that seemed to assume the woman in question was/is a newbie to guns....a total newbie.

and, no, i did not know you bombard CBlacksheep once a day....nor did i realize my posting had quadrupled since i joined the CL. really? i'm not in FP's league by a long shot!

admittedly, i do enjoy CL and hangout there lots.....but i have always hung out here in the Ladies Forum lots...nothing new about that. i do admit to curiousity as to what my posting habits have to do with the topic at hand......but i am sure you will tell me! shoot me a PM if you're inclined, JMP.
Quote:
Old 11-20-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
I'd be nervous about going out to somewhere deserted with someone I didn't know well, so a range date would probably be my pick too - but check out the range in question first. Some ranges have a reputation for collecting yahoos with bad attitudes and worse safety habits, and I'd be righteously pissed off if a date took me to one of those. Getting hit on by a**holes would ruin a date; getting shot would ruin it faster.

Personally, a trip to the range followed by a sushi dinner would be my absolute dream date...but that's just me.

Tammy
Sushi happens to be a favorite of ours both. I'll take that into account though; a range does sound like a safer, albeit noisier bet.

Quote:
Who determined the destination?
She did.

Quote:
Does she know it is an actual date?
I would hope so, considering she mentioned it.

Quote:

Noted. A lot of this makes sense. But it was the lady's choice, and I'll honor that. I definitely would have never had the stones to mention a range date unless we'd already been dating. And I understand the parallel completely.

Quote:
My sister and mother are both better shots than I am, and spend less than a third of the time on the range than I do. I have no aversion to the idea that women can be naturally better shots. If anything, that she is a better shot should mean she's a keeper.

Just wanted to get a few covered. I'll respond to the rest once I'm less tired. Also, it turns out her dad's a lifelong hunter and a card carrying NRA Life Member. I'm winning points and I didn't even know it.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 PM

just for clarification:

this is a first date?
she asked you out?
she suggested a range date?
she has a rifle of her very own already?

i'm betting there are some very jealous male calgunners right now!
Quote:
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey ladies!

Call it serendipity, but I have a date with a girl coming soon and the destination has been determined as some sort of range, or possibly BLM land. I'm not too sure which would be better necessarily, however maybe that can be helped. She's shot before, however not too much. She does own her own rifle, which I have to admit is way wicked cool. I've shot with girls before and even taught some to shoot, however this is a new animal altogether. Part of me is pretty excited that she'll enjoy something that is a passion of mind, and another part dreads it.

I'm fishing for tips.
Quantify her experience.

Shooting at her dad's backyard is not = to shooting IDPA. There's a wide gulf between the two levels of experience. If Comp shooter Jessica Abbate were to ask me out ( ha!) lets just say I wouldn't be worried about HER safety habits, as it were. Once you have a realistic idea of what she's capable of , we'll be able to draw better conclusions on this topic.

Here's something I've noticed about women. While they're not motivated by macho BS, they are prone to exaggeration about certain skills,especially if they're around a guy they like. Women are human beings after all ( mystifying behaviors to the contrary being excused) , and as such you must judge her abilities based on what she can do versus what she SAYS she can accomplish. To sort that out, a boring square firing line is quite appropriate. After you've determined that she can keep her hits on a B27 target at 7 yards, then the BLM picnic is a great follow up.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 11-21-2012, 2:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Part of me is pretty excited that she'll enjoy something that is a passion of mind, and another part dreads it.
Trying to figure out what there could possibly be to 'dread'.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
just for clarification:

this is a first date?
she asked you out?
For us, yes. And she did end up asking me out, which I've actually never experienced. It's always been the other way around.

Quote:
she suggested a range date?
she has a rifle of her very own already?
I always make mention of firearms within the first day or two in case it is a deal breaker. After the words fell from my mouth, she spoke of owning a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Quantify her experience.

Shooting at her dad's backyard is not = to shooting IDPA. There's a wide gulf between the two levels of experience. If Comp shooter Jessica Abbate were to ask me out ( ha!) lets just say I wouldn't be worried about HER safety habits, as it were. Once you have a realistic idea of what she's capable of , we'll be able to draw better conclusions on this topic.
She said she's owned the rifle since she turned eighteen. She took interest in her dad's hunting hobbies so he showered her in all kinds of outdoorsy gifts. She mentioned having not gone shooting in years, but that she's aware of basics. I'm not going to try to impress her with my sk1llz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Here's something I've noticed about women. While they're not motivated by macho BS, they are prone to exaggeration about certain skills,especially if they're around a guy they like. Women are human beings after all ( mystifying behaviors to the contrary being excused) , and as such you must judge her abilities based on what she can do versus what she SAYS she can accomplish. To sort that out, a boring square firing line is quite appropriate. After you've determined that she can keep her hits on a B27 target at 7 yards, then the BLM picnic is a great follow up.
Good idea. There's always a chance she could be totally crazy, too.

Oh, and she voted for Obama.
Old 11-22-2012, 3:31 AM
Internet Warrior

Quote:
For us, yes. And she did end up asking me out, which I've actually never experienced. It's always been the other way around.
I always make mention of firearms within the first day or two in case it is a deal breaker. After the words fell from my mouth, she spoke of owning a gun.
She said she's owned the rifle since she turned eighteen. She took interest in her dad's hunting hobbies so he showered her in all kinds of outdoorsy gifts. She mentioned having not gone shooting in years, but that she's aware of basics. I'm not going to try to impress her with my sk1llz.
Good idea. There's always a chance she could be totally crazy, too.
You are good to go . Originally I assumed that the range may have been YOUR idea. But if she's the one that brought it up, you are GTG. A long term relationship could a problem because it is $$$$$--I'd assume you'd need to buy her purses, shoes, jewelry, dinner, AND guns'n'ammo.

Quote:
Oh, and she voted for Obama.
It's okay, didn't 5.56 expose you as an Obama sycophant?
Old 11-22-2012, 7:31 AM

another GTG here!

and JMP is very wise: yes, it could be a very expensive courtship....but if she asked you out she might be the kind of woman that will reciprocate!

don't worry about the voting issue....and don't bring it up or discuss it. right now you're getting to know each other and there are many a male calgunner that will be envious that you're dating a woman with a rifle! some will admit that that is more important than who she voted for. some will castigate you for it. what matters is if you like her or not. have fun! and a range report is mandatory!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
A long term relationship could a problem because it is $$$$$--I'd assume you'd need to buy her purses, shoes, jewelry, dinner, AND guns'n'ammo.
Damn.

Quote:
It's okay, didn't 5.56 expose you as an Obama sycophant?
I also harbor illegal aliens, use the Constitution as toilet paper, and voted for DiFi. Man, he's good.

Also, the date was going quite well - until it RAINED. We'll be going to some place in Joshua Tree tomorrow for some folksy band I've never listened to, but hopefully it will be enjoyable. Apparently I'm trustworthy. Thanks for all of the advice, CalGuns. I can finally say with confidence that people on the internet have positively affected my life.
Old 12-02-2012, 8:55 AM

glad things are going well despite the rain.
sometimes its good to go listen to music you've never heard before....you might actually like it.
and it shows a willingness to get to know her better.
she goes to the range with you, you go to a music event with her.
two way street despite what the "my way or the highway" crowd would tell you.......
Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 6:03 PM

You could go to BLM land, just not a BLM range that is near any towns or population. I know a few BLM ranges where I have never seen another person shooting. (okay I only know 2, and one is walk in across a rushing stream and up a very steep hill for about 200 yards.)
Just don't take her to a beat up range with the gangsta's shooting their hi-points sideways.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:27 PM

mcmike, two posts above yours: the range date happened already.
Quote:
Old 12-03-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
I'm a decent shot, but I've had women I taught to shoot literally an hour before out shoot me. This is one of the few times I actually enjoy getting out shot, when someone who I taught beats me
I have had a female friend of mine who legitimately wanted to join in on a range session pick it up very quickly when we went. We shot .22 pistols at first and then I let her shoot a 9mm. As soon as she pulled the trigger on the 9mm the first time, she was hooked and wanted to shoot it a lot more (I started her off we a single round in the mag in case it was too much and she bump fired). Funny thing about that trip was I warned her to wear a shirt that covered up her cleavage (she was very well endowed) and unfortunately she forgot. A round did indeed go down her shirt! Ouch!

Her focus was incredible and she was extremely safety conscious. Not once did I have to remind her about finger off the trigger or muzzle awareness. She was a true example that women are excellent multi-taskers.

I didn't mind having to pay close attention either, as I do with everyone that is with me, since she was wearing a pair of nearly stiletto black leather boots. I didn't expect that at all, but she had no problems getting a decent stance.
Old 12-07-2012, 2:06 PM

Had two more dates. Apparently I don't tip well enough and my taste in music is immature. That and she spends more time looking at her iPhone than conversing; that does it for me.

But it was nice to meet a girl who appreciates firearms though. She is a decent shot. I'll keep all of these tips in mind for the future.
Old 12-07-2012, 2:23 PM

sorry to hear things didnt work out. there is more fish in the sea or ammo in the box. lol
SAF Member
CCRKBA Member
CRPA Member
JPFO Member
#BlackGunsMatter #Glocks&Bagles
Old 12-07-2012, 4:11 PM

hey, you tried. and you know "they" are out there. glad we could be of help.
the iPhone thing would bother me no end.....as a woman i can tell you that is a sure sign she's not into you.

although, a poor tipper is a no-no in my book as well....music? my husband and i have some common ground but we have our own interests in that regard.
Quote: