Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 8:17 PM
Banned

Default Can I legally buy a shotgun in Florida if I'm a California resident?

I was in Florida for a few days, and saw a shotgun I wanted to buy. Can I legally just buy it, or does it have to go thru a CA FFL?
Old 02-12-2018, 8:20 PM

Why not?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2018, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

You can buy it you just can't take delivery of it in Florida. Federal law requires all laws of the buyer's state to be followed, so for us in Ca that means ship to Ca FFL 10 day wait dealer transfer fee and all the rest.
Old 02-12-2018, 9:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
You can buy it you just can't take delivery of it in Florida. Federal law requires all laws of the buyer's state to be followed, so for us in Ca that means ship to Ca FFL 10 day wait dealer transfer fee and all the rest.
Right.

If you lived in Real America, and your state of residence did not require using your-state-licensed FFLs, you could do it.

California, however, no.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-13-2018, 3:56 AM
Banned

Thanks guys
Old 02-13-2018, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

"I've got a mansion, forget the price,
Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice..."

You can buy it (exchange money for right of ownership) anywhere.

You can only acquire it (take physical possession) through an FFL in your state of residence if your state requires that, and CA certainly does.
Old 02-13-2018, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

YSR, Just a thoughtk but look into taking possession in Florida but having it first imported into CA by having the FL seller send it to your CA FFL for DROS and delivery to you in CA. If that can't be done, give the dealer a hefty deposit (the sales price) and borrow it from the dealer until you are ready to return to CA. Then buy it and have the dealer send it to your CA FFL for DROS and delivery.
Old 02-13-2018, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
YSR, Just a thoughtk but look into taking possession in Florida but having it first imported into CA by having the FL seller send it to your CA FFL for DROS and delivery to you in CA. If that can't be done, give the dealer a hefty deposit (the sales price) and borrow it from the dealer until you are ready to return to CA. Then buy it and have the dealer send it to your CA FFL for DROS and delivery.
I can't imagine the issues the FFL would face if a firearm was logged into his bound book, but not on the premise and no 4473 to document a sale existed. Whole lot of risk involved in that idea.
Old 02-13-2018, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

What about completing the sale and doing the 4473, and later having the gun shipped to the CA FFL before returning to the state?
Old 02-13-2018, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What about completing the sale and doing the 4473, and later having the gun shipped to the CA FFL before returning to the state?
So what part of him taking possession in Florida violates federal law for the FFL dealer are you not understanding? Remember this is how to do it legally and properly, not what can I get away with.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Please enlighten me as to what "Federal" law is violated by delivery of a long gun to the CA resident in FL?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 PM

It’s Florida man. Do wtf you want
Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Please enlighten me as to what "Federal" law is violated by delivery of a long gun to the CA resident in FL?
18 USC 922 (b)(3)
Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) ...;
(2) ...;
(3) any firearm to any person

who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe

does not reside in ... the State in which the licensee’s place of business is located,

except that this paragraph (A) shall not apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee’s place of business is located if the transferee meets in person with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale, delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States (and any licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
Not possible for a CA resident to "fully comply with the legal conditions of sale in both such States" unless he/she uses a CA-licensed FFL.

18 USC 922 (a)(5) covers non-dealers
Quote:
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person ... who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in ... the State in which the transferor resides;
ETA - I wrote this sticky - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503873 - in 2011. Catch up, please.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 02-14-2018 at 12:18 AM..
Old 02-14-2018, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael777 View Post
It’s Florida man. Do wtf you want
Only if you like the risk of Federal prison for 5 years, or $10K fine, or both, as well as permanent loss of gun rights.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-14-2018, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, Librarian. These were sporting guns (specifically skeet guns) that the FL dealer would loan/rent to vetted prospective purchasers for as long as a month.

Quote:
this paragraph . . .(B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
Not that I look at the statute, I agree that the FL FFL could not sell and deliver to one who is known or the dealer has reasonable cause to know they are not a resident of FL. I may have been thinking about the person with another home in FL who that dealer would not reasonably believe to be a resident of another state, were they to have a FL DL. However, they may loan/rent it and upon conclusion of the loan/rental then sell it as long as it is then shipped by that dealer to the CA FLL for DROS and delivery.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 AM

So, if you're out of state, decide to go skeet shooting with friends and find a shotgun you like, you can't purchase it, compete with it, then send it to your FFL? I'm assuming the same applies to picking up, say a levergun, to go hunting?

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
W.T. Sherman
Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhendo View Post
So, if you're out of state, decide to go skeet shooting with friends and find a shotgun you like, you can't purchase it, compete with it, then send it to your FFL? I'm assuming the same applies to picking up, say a levergun, to go hunting?
Under Federal laws... [18 USC 922(a)(3)&(5)]

You (CA resident) can purchase it, but the seller will need to ship it to a CA FFL dealer.

However, someone can loan/rent you a firearm for temporary sporting purpose use in that State.
After the loan/rent, you could then buy it and the seller would then ship it to a CA FFL dealer.

You (CA resident) can't take possession of it while out-of-state, unless it's due to a bequeath [18 USC 922(a)(5)(A)] or it's due to a loan/rental for temporary sporting use [18 USC 922(a)(5)(B)].

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 02-25-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
Under Federal laws... [18 USC 922(a)(3)&(5)]

You (CA resident) can purchase it, but the seller will need to ship it to a CA FFL dealer.

However, someone can loan/rent you a firearm for temporary sporting purpose use in that State.
After the loan/rent, you could then buy it and the seller would then ship it to a CA FFL dealer.

You (CA resident) can't take possession of it while out-of-state, unless it's due to a bequeath [18 USC 922(a)(5)(A)] or it's due to a loan/rental for temporary sporting use [18 USC 922(a)(5)(B)].
With the complete understanding that I am not trying to get around anything, and maybe I've been beat up by confusing California laws too much, but,
My son in law could buy a Winchester 94 in New Mexico, loan it to me to go hunting and then sell it to me to send to an FFL and we're all cool? Technically that is what I'm getting out of this, but I thought that seemed like a bit of a straw purchase.

And yes, I've been reading stickies and searches till my eyes bleed and think I've over done it.

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
W.T. Sherman
Old 02-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhendo View Post
My son in law could buy a Winchester 94 in New Mexico,

loan it to me to go hunting

and then sell it to me to send to an FFL and we're all cool?

Technically that is what I'm getting out of this, but I thought that seemed like a bit of a straw purchase.
Yes.

He could bring it here, lend it to you to hunt, and both go to a CA FFL,
or
you could go to NM, hunt with it, and then send it to a CA FFL.

In both cases, talk to the CA FFL first, to discover whether they understand the law and whether they will accept a 'walk-in' in the first case, or they want the gun shipped from another (NM) FFL in the second case.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Yes.

He could bring it here, lend it to you to hunt, and both go to a CA FFL,
or
you could go to NM, hunt with it, and then send it to a CA FFL.

In both cases, talk to the CA FFL first, to discover whether they understand the law and whether they will accept a 'walk-in' in the first case, or they want the gun shipped from another (NM) FFL in the second case.
Thank you.

W.T. Sherman
Old 02-28-2018, 7:57 PM

Just buy it, bring it home and STFU
Old 02-28-2018, 8:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Sig View Post
Just buy it, bring it home and STFU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Only if you like the risk of Federal prison for 5 years, or $10K fine, or both, as well as permanent loss of gun rights.
Because we know the BATFE could never trace the firearm...