Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-26-2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctatical View Post
Sorry. I forgot to mention that it is not me in the video. I wish I could shoot that good. I think that shooting range is located in Switzerland according to the poster of the video.
Wherever it is, they have a nice range. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2018, 5:38 PM

Has anyone seen a comparison of the Smith & Wesson 929 vs. the CZ 75 Tactical Sport? Am curious as to how they compare to one another, knowing that they are different platforms. I believe both are or can be used in competition shooting, so they share that in common.
Old 06-28-2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMustang View Post
Most accurate Calif. legal 9mm handgun?
I would say the one you shoot with the most. But, then again - what do I know. I don't even own a real gun yet and research is not valid when it comes to buying and owning a handgun. You have to buy first, research second, then decide what you want to buy (for real) again. A completely rational approach.

Seriously, I've shot more rental handguns than a little. I've never shot one poorly enough to notice any meaningful difference. I shoot handguns from 5 to 50 yards. Every single one with roughly the same results (within a reasonable margin) for my level of skill and knowledge thus far.

I've literally noticed no difference within specific categories of modern semi-auto pistols of any size (Large, Medium, Compact and Sub-Compact). They all have their range (window) of routine hit and miss per size category in my hands.

I'm (finally) bringing my first handgun home in 5 days. Honestly, it came down to Ergonomics, Build Quality, Reliability and Ease of Use. Accuracy, because I've shot so many different guns for so long a period of time, never entered the final buy equation - as I already knew what to expect from experience.

You will probably be good with whatever you DROS as long as you take the time to develop good shooting habits up front. My 2 pennies. Take your time. Do your homework. DROS what's right for you and it will work out the way it should - probably no matter what you end up buying.

I selected the USP9 because it was most comfortable and it was available in this State. I already knew that its accuracy was 99.9% my responsibility, being a highly competent modern semi-auto pistol with a globally applauded track record.

Make that 99.999% on me. If I miss with a USP9, it is probably "my bad."

Last edited by HK9; 06-28-2018 at 7:41 PM..
Old 06-29-2018, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Print out the target linked below.

Put it out to 25 yards.

Fire 10 rounds standing, unsupported.

Count up your score (X/10 ring = 10 points, 9 ring = 9 points etc, line breaks count for next higher ring).

Is your score in the 90s? If so, good job.

If not, the gun isn't what is holding you back.

https://bigtexoutdoors.com/pages/tap...ers-b-8-target
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK9 View Post
I would say the one you shoot with the most. But, then again - what do I know. I don't even own a real gun yet and research is not valid when it comes to buying and owning a handgun. You have to buy first, research second, then decide what you want to buy (for real) again. A completely rational approach.

Seriously, I've shot more rental handguns than a little. I've never shot one poorly enough to notice any meaningful difference. I shoot handguns from 5 to 50 yards. Every single one with roughly the same results (within a reasonable margin) for my level of skill and knowledge thus far.

I've literally noticed no difference within specific categories of modern semi-auto pistols of any size (Large, Medium, Compact and Sub-Compact). They all have their range (window) of routine hit and miss per size category in my hands.

I'm (finally) bringing my first handgun home in 5 days. Honestly, it came down to Ergonomics, Build Quality, Reliability and Ease of Use. Accuracy, because I've shot so many different guns for so long a period of time, never entered the final buy equation - as I already knew what to expect from experience.

You will probably be good with whatever you DROS as long as you take the time to develop good shooting habits up front. My 2 pennies. Take your time. Do your homework. DROS what's right for you and it will work out the way it should - probably no matter what you end up buying.

I selected the USP9 because it was most comfortable and it was available in this State. I already knew that its accuracy was 99.9% my responsibility, being a highly competent modern semi-auto pistol with a globally applauded track record.

Make that 99.999% on me. If I miss with a USP9, it is probably "my bad."
Thanks for the advice/information; I appreciate it.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 AM
PURVEYOR OF HIGH END ITEM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Most accurate 9mm have been HK products:

USP Elite and Expert, P7 M8 & M13
My Springfield Custom PPC 1911 9mm made by Dave Williams

DD
Old 06-30-2018, 11:59 AM

Do you reload? Shooting factory ball out of even the best 1911 can be taxing, especially for smaller people. Get a press and develop some nice mid-range loads with 200 or 185 grain bullets. My wife can shoot my 1911 all day long with these.
Old 06-30-2018, 2:03 PM

I'm not sure this question warrants 6 pages of discussion.
Old 06-30-2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice/information; I appreciate it.
You are welcome. 😀
Old 06-30-2018, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonBear723 View Post
I'm not sure this question warrants 6 pages of discussion.
Depends on where you are coming from and your perspective. I used to believe my accuracy had more to do with the gun than my use of it. Eventually, I learned that the vast majoity of semiauto handgun design and manufacturing would produce a level of default accuracy well beyond any self defense need I would ever have in a practical sense. The rest is all Competiton Shooting related (including sniper competition) and yes, along those lines you want every advantage you can get within the limits of the rules.

As one member here has just stated, if the OP gets deep into pressing their own loads, things have the potential for getting even more complicated on the matter of accuracy.

Besides, in a purely self defense sense the definition of accuracy used on a range will absolutely zero meaning against an assailant moving at lightening speeds in variable directions while you are either running for cover or returning fire from cover.

So, I think the wiser thing to do, would be to use these kinds of threads to refocus people who might be relative new to guns on that which truly matters in the realm of what would be practical in a real world defensive scenario. Again, just 3 cents worth. Iím a no body when it comes to guns and everybody knows that about me around here. 🤓
Old 07-01-2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsimons View Post
Do you reload? Shooting factory ball out of even the best 1911 can be taxing, especially for smaller people. Get a press and develop some nice mid-range loads with 200 or 185 grain bullets. My wife can shoot my 1911 all day long with these.
I am almost set to begin reloading for .308 and plan to do so for my pistols down the road when I have all of the necessary ingredients.
Old 07-02-2018, 8:15 AM

OP, several LGS have CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9mm in stock.
go to LGS and get TS now, or wait several months more.
RifleGear.com has "More than 5" now.

you can buy 929 or 986 later anytime
Old 07-02-2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk20398 View Post
OP, several LGS have CZ 75 Tactical Sports 9mm in stock.
go to LGS and get TS now, or wait several months more.
RifleGear.com has "More than 5" now.

you can buy 929 or 986 later anytime
Down to 4 now, better hurry......
Old 07-05-2018, 5:36 PM

bmk20398 and Lacalusa1,
Thanks for the referral; by the time I saw it and checked them out, all were sold out (that are Cal legal). Maybe next time.

Last edited by BroncoMustang; 07-07-2018 at 4:45 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 8:42 PM

Have the CZ Tactical Sports always been this scarce ??
Old 07-08-2018, 7:30 AM

Default No Such Thing

The most accurate firearm is the one you shoot the best.
Old 07-08-2018, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungi View Post
Have the CZ Tactical Sports always been this scarce ??
Iíve waited close to 2years before Riflegear had the TS in stock so pretty much hard to get.
Old 07-08-2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Hi guys,
I have been thinking of selling my 1911 and then taking the money I get from that to buy a very accurate 9mm handgun, but before doing so I wanted to get others opinions on what they think would be the most accurate 9mm handgun. I would prefer to get one with a 5 inch barrel, thinking that the longer it is, the more accurate it will be, but am not married to the idea that it must be 5 inches long (provided it is very accurate). What are your thoughts, or what has your experience taught you, that I can learn from?
Get a good trigger job on the 1911 and it will improve the accuracy.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A whole lot of competition Shooters use Glock. There must be a reason. And I know some people are going to say sponsorship, but they do work well.
Old 07-08-2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
A whole lot of competition Shooters use Glock.
And a whole lot more use CZ.
Old 07-10-2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo2112 View Post
And a whole lot more use CZ.
I think that you might be right: I cannot seem to find a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in stock anywhere, and when I finally did last night at BudsGunShop, you had to be a VIP member to be able to buy it. They had "less than 5 available" whatever that means.
Old 07-11-2018, 3:01 PM

I know this is about the Luger, but in my experience the most accurate 9mm is anything in 357 Sig.
Old 07-11-2018, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
I know this is about the Luger, but in my experience the most accurate 9mm is anything in 357 Sig.
How did you measure the difference between the two?
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 07-11-2018, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback; a few of my friends think I am crazy for thinking of selling my 1911 to get a 9 mil.
My buddy Tommy Lee Jones said I was sissy for getting a SECOND 1911 in 9mm.
Old 07-12-2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
How did you measure the difference between the two?
Eyeballed it.
Old 07-12-2018, 2:21 PM

The two most accurate automatics Ive ever owned were:
HK USP .40
HK USP .45

However, I feel the ergonomics to my hand size may have contributed.

The 2nd most accurate auto (slide) pistol I've ever owned was a Kimber 1911 Warrior. However, I sold it for another HK as I had a hard time holding on to it under rapid fire (yes I tried different grips).
Old 07-12-2018, 3:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
Eyeballed it.
What distances?

Old 07-12-2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
I think that you might be right: I cannot seem to find a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in stock anywhere, and when I finally did last night at BudsGunShop, you had to be a VIP member to be able to buy it. They had "less than 5 available" whatever that means.
2A Zone has the Tactical Sports in stock. I just picked mine up from him Tuesday. He said he had 11 in stock. I have his contact info if u want