Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-14-2013, 9:40 AM

Just dropped off my application. Now the wait begins
Old 02-26-2013, 3:03 PM

Interesting
Old 03-01-2013, 2:27 PM

I just dropped off my application. Will post when I receive my approval :-)
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM

My application was approved today. Just to give all you out there a ray of hope. Kern county is still the place to live.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:34 PM

How long ago did you turn in the application?
Old 03-20-2013, 5:20 PM

Middle of December
Old 03-23-2013, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho1965 View Post
I applied yesterday. Lets see what happens
I was denied, the good cause statement was insufficient. I will pursue this next year I guess...

Mike
Old 03-23-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I was denied, the good cause statement was insufficient. I will pursue this next year I guess...

Mike
What was summary of your GCS, if you won't mind sharing? At least we can all learn "what does not work".

B
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
What was summary of your GCS, if you won't mind sharing? At least we can all learn "what does not work".

B
I am an avid 4x4'er and travel California, Nevada, and Arizona is some pretty remote and desolate places. In these places there is no cell signal and no expectation of a law enforcement presence. That was pretty much it, and appears it is not really a good reason for CC. Oh well. Disappointed most that people with no record at all must play the game. No real reason to be denied IMHO, but it's a learning experience for me!

Last edited by Poncho1965; 03-26-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Old 03-27-2013, 1:55 AM

Thanks. I'm sorry that your app got denied. At least we now know mere fact of spending time in desolate area isn't good enough reason for a approval. Perhaps adding some reason why you would be a high value target while in desolate area may straighten your case.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just finished my "mandatory 4 hour course" for renewal.

Showed up at the range at 7:30 a.m. was on my way home at 8:30 a.m.

22 people at $50.00 per person = $1100.00 for the instructor.

50 rounds thrown down range. 30 strong hand, 20 weak hand.

Instruction consisted of the instructor telling us that we need to learn point and shoot if a CCW is to ever save us. He followed that by telling us the laws concerning CCW haven't changed in the past 2 years but the number of "No Guns Allowed" signs are increasing, and regardless of if you are licensed or not you can't carry anyplace there is a sign cause your CCW is invalid there.

Got my certificate, and then told the instructor that the signs carry no weight of law, and they can only ask you to leave.

He insisted that it was illegal to do so.

I left. It is no use arguing with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My initial 8 hours class 2 years ago was only 1 hour 30 minutes with 16 rounds fired.

This refresher was no better.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 04-19-2013, 7:28 PM

I got my approval letter from the KCSD yesterday. Finding a permit course to take is next.
Old 04-19-2013, 7:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

Instruction consisted of the instructor telling us that we need to learn point and shoot if a CCW is to ever save us. He followed that by telling us the laws concerning CCW haven't changed in the past 2 years but the number of "No Guns Allowed" signs are increasing, and regardless of if you are licensed or not you can't carry anyplace there is a sign cause your CCW is invalid there.

Got my certificate, and then told the instructor that the signs carry no weight of law, and they can only ask you to leave.

I left. It is no use arguing with a fool because they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

My initial 8 hours class 2 years ago was only 1 hour 30 minutes with 16 rounds fired.

Sorry to hear about your sub-par instructor. Training way below the state mandated time may be a problem.

Next time try: www.advperpro.com

My re-cert was 4-hours, but didn't mind if I had to stay for 8!
Old 05-13-2013, 9:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Got my renewal process started.

Went to the DMV on Friday to get a new "change of address" card, as the Sheriff now requires it to be date stamped. Took about 10 minutes waiting in line, and then at the "START" counter I told the lady what I needed, and she date stamped a blank card and handed it to me.

Then I stopped by the Rosamond Sheriff's Substation where they copied my DL and brown card, my LTC and my training certificate. I wrote out two checks, one for $10.00 to County of Kern, another for $52.00 to Department of Justice.

They will call when my renewed LTC is ready for me to pick up.

UPDATE: Submited for renewal on Friday, got called on Wednesday morning to pick up new license.

Last edited by Decoligny; 05-16-2013 at 10:48 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 7:32 PM

I have my application and I am in the process of filling it out. Is there anyone with experience that can help me with my wording on the good cause statement? I own a small business and need the ccw for protection of some very valuable equipment.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lizard View Post
I have my application and I am in the process of filling it out. Is there anyone with experience that can help me with my wording on the good cause statement? I own a small business and need the ccw for protection of some very valuable equipment.
You will probably want to emphasize the time you are out of you business, as you can legally carry concealed there anyway.

I am guessing you are a photographer based on you screen name. You must travel with a lot of expensive photography equipment, and you must deal with cash payments and delivering those payments to the bank.
If this is an accurate assumption, try working that info into you good cause statement. Keep it simple, clear, and truthful.

Old 05-17-2013, 5:07 AM

Mention multi-county travel, so as to lesson the chance of a restricted license. If you're a bit older and slower due to bad knees, etc, mention that. If you go into the back country with limited cell phone access and the attendant inability to call the sheriff/cops, mention that.
Old 05-18-2013, 2:10 PM

I filed my application March 1, 2013 and just received my approval letter today!!! I'll be going to the Sheriffs Office Bakersfield on Tuesday with my birth cert, 8-hr training cert, and $159 check! One step closer :-)

What I don't understand is one of the men my husband works with filed his application 2 weeks before me and he received his approval one month after he filed and has also received his final CCW permit. Weird, but oh well...mine finally came and that's really all I should be concerned with.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:25 AM

[B][/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Turned mine in 5/25. Ill keep you all updated too. The girls in the office were very helpful, as was craig at kernccw. He answered a lot of my questions via email. Just wanted to say thanks again.
Be ready for stress everytime you chevk the mail lol just got my approval yesterday. Took over 2 months. Good luck bro
Old 06-11-2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

Where was that so I DON'T go there. I'm planning on submitting my app and my wife's next week now that we've moved. Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRR View Post
I got my approval letter from the KCSD yesterday. Finding a permit course to take is next.
I submitted everything at KCSD in Bakersfield last Monday. Now we play the waiting game.
Old 06-12-2013, 7:35 AM

Just received my approval yesterday. 12 weeks. Now to find a training course.
Old 06-12-2013, 7:56 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of filling out my CCW app in Kern County. I know that Good Cause is the hot question. I saw in a post made several years ago that being an active outdoorsman/hunter/shooter was considered good cause here in Kern County. I just want to make sure I don't blow the GC statement, so I want to make sure that I do it right. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Is this still considered legitimate GC? I am seeking any input from someone that is an "every day joe" citizen that got an approval. I heard that Carl Sparks was recently on Inga's show and he allegedly said that Sheriff Youngblood pretty much rubber stamps CCW applications. I love Kern County for its conservative bent, but this sounds too good to be true. I am not former law enforcement, I am not a security guard, nor am I former military. I do have to travel for work, all over Kern County, and I carry thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in electronic equipment when I travel. The issue with that is I work in the education system. I have no intention of carrying at any of the facilities I service, but I am concerned that working for the schools will result in a denial.

The other tack I was going to take was that I am an active outdoorsman. I also pursue archery, and I am in remote areas carrying expensive archery equipment, which could make me a target if someone wants to mug me. I also do unpaid side work for a private investigator, including witness interviews, accident scene photos, and surveillance. This is not my primary line of work, and I do it mainly as a favor to a person in another city to save them travel.

Which of these provides the best justification, and what level of documentation should I expect to provide?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 06-12-2013, 8:00 PM

This is my good cause statement that I submitted. I have omitted the first paragraph that established my links to the my local community.

Quote:
My friends and I frequently travel off road throughout Kern, San Bernardino and Inyo County exploring the historic and scenic areas on our quads and highway vehicles. These areas are remote and often without cell phone coverage. Law enforcement and BLM rangers are seldom seen on our outings, which can involve overnight camping.

Since last Summer, I have gone on doctor’s recommended diet and part of the regime he prescribed to me is exercise that takes the form of hiking and this takes me to some remote back country where cellphone coverage and law enforcement are several hours away even if communication were possible. Because of the restricted amount of calories on this diet my endurance is limited and any sort of running or sprinting quickly leads to exhaustion.

Currently, when I go target shooting I use the BLM canyon on the south side of town or if I’m lucky enough to go with a coworker who is also a range member, to the Sage range outside of town. In compliance with state law, all my firearms are unloaded while being transported. I/We carry several thousand dollars worth of weapons, ammunition, and related equipment. There are BLM trails that go on from both locations as well.

Because of these reasons I have listed above, I believe that I could be in danger of great bodily injury or death. I have no other means of self protection and respectfully request your consideration and approval for granting me a CCW license.
Old 06-13-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteRR View Post
This is my good cause statement that I submitted. I have omitted the first paragraph that established my links to the my local community.
Thanks for the GC example. That's really good!

Did you get approval? If so, are there any restrictions based on your GC statement?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnico View Post
Thanks for the GC example. That's really good!

Did you get approval? If so, are there any restrictions based on your GC statement?

Thanks!
I have received my approval letter and it has no restrictions listed.
Old 06-20-2013, 8:15 AM

Talking Picked up my CCW Permit yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJY12 View Post
I filed my application March 1, 2013 and just received my approval letter today!!! I'll be going to the Sheriffs Office Bakersfield on Tuesday with my birth cert, 8-hr training cert, and $159 check! One step closer :-)

What I don't understand is one of the men my husband works with filed his application 2 weeks before me and he received his approval one month after he filed and has also received his final CCW permit. Weird, but oh well...mine finally came and that's really all I should be concerned with.
I received the call yesterday afternoon and picked up my permit. The entire process took just under 4 months.

I was under the impression that I could change/add the weapons list when I picked up my permit, but they didn't let me add my new pistol. Said I have to wait 30 days, then come back in with the new pistol. Does anyone know if that's true?

"People of integrity expect to be believed and when they're not, they let time prove them right."

Almost EVERY problem we have in society now arises from one single issue - people no longer take accountability for themselves or their actions. It's never their fault.
Old 07-24-2013, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJY12 View Post
I was under the impression that I could change/add the weapons list when I picked up my permit, but they didn't let me add my new pistol. Said I have to wait 30 days, then come back in with the new pistol. Does anyone know if that's true?
What ever they tell you is true. Unless you want to start a argument with the sheriff's office. You have to understand, sheriff does make the rule for CCW related issues.

Old 07-25-2013, 6:03 AM

Default Policy change

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
What ever they tell you is true. Unless you want to start a argument with the sheriff's office. You have to understand, sheriff does make the rule for CCW related issues.

I didn't question or argue when I picked up my permit. Later I called the CCW class instructor and told him what happened, he said he'd look into it. A few days later he called back and told me that there has been a change in policy to a 30 day wait on a new permit and that the only explanation the Bakersfield SO could give him was to allow time for DOJ to catch up on the paperwork.

So for anyone doing a new application, if possible make sure you know/have the weapon you will ultimately end up carrying and list it on your initial application.

"People of integrity expect to be believed and when they're not, they let time prove them right."

Almost EVERY problem we have in society now arises from one single issue - people no longer take accountability for themselves or their actions. It's never their fault.
Old 08-01-2013, 3:01 PM

The Ridgecrest KCSD substation just called. My permit is available for pickup.

That is 8 weeks since I dropped my check and training cert off with the Sheriff.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Just wanted to update everyone. I submitted my app on 6/17 and received a response on 8/21.

My application was approved. Doing my course on 9/7. I have birth cert, need finger prints (I assume those can be done at the sheriff's)?, so after my CCW Initial course, I will begin the last leg of the journey.

In the meantime, I am researching what style of holster to carry. I am looking for a balance between discretion and comfort, will probably try IWB out first.

I wanted to thank everyone that posted in this thread for sharing your experiences and advice in going through this process. It really helped a lot.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Got my permit today. All told, it took from mid June to early October. Just under four months from start to finish.

Again, thanks for everyone's input, kind suggestions, and willingness to share their insight.
Old 11-06-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
I am an avid 4x4'er and travel California, Nevada, and Arizona is some pretty remote and desolate places. In these places there is no cell signal and no expectation of a law enforcement presence. That was pretty much it, and appears it is not really a good reason for CC. Oh well. Disappointed most that people with no record at all must play the game. No real reason to be denied IMHO, but it's a learning experience for me!
Posts like this make me hesitate to apply.

Earlier in this thread "Avid outdoorsman" was listed as a GC statement that works but then this guy gets denied.

This is the angle I want to use as well. Even though I run a shop and hire/fire and fight against unemployment claims (some of the stuff listed on Kernccw site) I do NOT want to involve my job in the process. My boss is 5 states over and has no clue what I do out here or what goofy laws there are.
Old 01-10-2014, 8:48 PM

I submitted my application on Wednesday, January 8th. Let the wait begin!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post

Earlier in this thread "Avid outdoorsman" was listed as a GC statement that works but then this guy gets denied.
Yeah, I had always heard Kern pretty much accepted "avid shooter" as GC as well. Have they tightened up issuance??? If so, why? I mean, Solano, Sacto, and Fresno have pretty much gone virtual Shall Issue. Why would Kern go the other way?

It looks like they're making steady and significant increases in the # of CCWs issued each year since 2011:
http://calgunsfoundation.org/carry-i...eport-2013.pdf
Old 01-17-2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post

This is the angle I want to use as well. Even though I run a shop and hire/fire and fight against unemployment claims (some of the stuff listed on Kernccw site) I do NOT want to involve my job in the process. My boss is 5 states over and has no clue what I do out here or what goofy laws there are.

I was not sure if sharing my GC statement with a coworker was the cause. He was granted a permit while I was denied. He said he pretty much used my statement. He applied shortly before I did. Would a family member who is a felon be a reason for denial? Another thing, I did have my GC statement reviewed by a CCW instructor before submitting, and was assured it was sufficient.

I can reapply in March. Maybe I will give it a try again.

Mike
Old 01-19-2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
I was not sure if sharing my GC statement with a coworker was the cause. He was granted a permit while I was denied. He said he pretty much used my statement. He applied shortly before I did. Would a family member who is a felon be a reason for denial? Another thing, I did have my GC statement reviewed by a CCW instructor before submitting, and was assured it was sufficient.

I can reapply in March. Maybe I will give it a try again.

Mike
Your family shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe you forgot to list a ticket or police contact?
Old 01-21-2014, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
Your family shouldn't have anything to do with it. Maybe you forgot to list a ticket or police contact?

Agreed. No tickets in over 15 years, police contact....? None involving tickets, warrants, etc. I've had police involved many times over my son, would that be something I would need to list? The denial letter only stated "insufficient" GC statement. I could not appeal in writing, as I received the notification the day after I left to Hawaii for two weeks.

Mike
Old 02-10-2014, 5:45 PM

Submitted application on January 8th.
Received approval on Feb 8th.
Gotta take the 8 hour course and go get fingerprinted next.
Old 03-01-2014, 2:37 PM

App dropped off feb-28.
We will see.