Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-09-2019, 6:40 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default Got a stuck case how to get it out of the chamber?

Ok Iíve read so many of these here. lol!!!

So like a dummy, I think the chamber is dirty and I used a empty case which was fired from another gun which I didnít look at the case mouth. So it could have been not perfectly round.

Basically the bolt will not extract it. I slam it forward and do that buttstock slam with charging handle and the bolt will come back but case is still in the chamber.


It is a 30 cal and Iím guessing I can bring another empty case to homedepot find a -aluminum rod? That fits perfectly for the case mouth and tap it out?

The case is remington brass.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2019, 6:47 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: the lbc
Posts: 1,241
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

cleaning rod or wooden dowel.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2019, 6:50 PM
Sir Toast's Avatar
Sir Toast Sir Toast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,104
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Yeah wooden dowel. It won't scratch anything.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2019, 6:51 PM
Master_Prestige Master_Prestige is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

chopsticks do the trick. And free. Just get 5-6 packs at the restaurant.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2019, 6:58 PM
metalcruncher's Avatar
metalcruncher metalcruncher is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 100
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yep, wooden dowel and a rubber mallet. I have a collection in my tool box now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2019, 7:10 PM
baih777 baih777 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 4,427
iTrader: 74 / 100%
Default

if you use a wooden dowel. buy a birch dowel. the ones made from pine smashes too easy.

cleaning rod
__________________
Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
I'm Back.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2019, 7:14 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
cleaning rod or wooden dowel.
Yeah I wish I had the Mosin cleaning rod right now! lol
Just sold it like couple days ago..

Itís about 22Ē.
Wood dowel can be bought at Home Depot?
Chopsticks sound interesting but I think the dowel might be safer Iíll see if I can one of those easily first.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2019, 7:15 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
if you use a wooden dowel. buy a birch dowel. the ones made from pine smashes too easy.

cleaning rod
Thatís my experience when I tried using chopsticks for punches. lol
Iíll look for that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2019, 7:23 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: the lbc
Posts: 1,241
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

bamboo chopsticks would be fine, if the cheaper pine ones are too soft.
the barrel around them should keep em together, but if you don't already have a bunch in your drawer like we do, it might be simpler to head to home depot.

if it wasn't that hard to chamber it, it might not be that much harder to push it back out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2019, 10:08 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Got it out!
Thanks guys. I used some stout round chopsticks I had from to go orders and rubber mallet.
I was worried at first became I had one chopstick not drop out of the barrel and even bumping the barrel end on some heavy blanket it would not drop out. Plus I was using the black rubber side of the mallet. So I used the harder white side of the mallet and wack it drop. Very relieved. Now to figure out why it got stuck!

It’s probably the rust it looks like a build up spot right in the middle of the lower part of the chamber.

Last edited by Q; 10-09-2019 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 46,458
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Most times that people stick a bullet in the bore or a round in the chamber, they start with a wooden dowel that then gets stuck in the bore with the bullet.
The wood really gets in the way of clearing the bore.

If you use a piece of wood, do NOT use a hammer.
You have no business using wood for something that's harder to remove than simple finger pressure.

If wood and fingers won't pop it free, proceed directly to a tightly fitted brass rod just slightly longer than the barrel so that only an inch or two sticks out and then use a hammer.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2019, 10:58 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

I think the chopstick that was stuck was not perfect or weaker than the second set thatís why it got bent when I tried to hammer it the first time.
I used a different set that look well made but still disposable. These didnít bend.
Luckily I havenít had a bullet stuck in a barrel yet and never tried slugging a barrel.

I think the chopstick method could go bad if theyíre cheap chopsticks or barely fit is a bad idea. Obviously youíd want to use the round ones like a dowel which I did but frickin thing bent and stayed in there and scared me for a sec.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2019, 4:32 AM
kcstott kcstott is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,702
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Ok Iíve read so many of these here. lol!!!

So like a dummy, I think the chamber is dirty and I used a empty case which was fired from another gun which I didnít look at the case mouth. So it could have been not perfectly round.

Basically the bolt will not extract it. I slam it forward and do that buttstock slam with charging handle and the bolt will come back but case is still in the chamber.


It is a 30 cal and Iím guessing I can bring another empty case to homedepot find a -aluminum rod? That fits perfectly for the case mouth and tap it out?

The case is remington brass.
Shoot some oil down the barrel soak the chamber over night.

then get a 1/4" brass or aluminum rod. you will need to break the bolt loose though
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-10-2019, 9:47 AM
kendog4570's Avatar
kendog4570 kendog4570 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 4,270
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

By all means please shove wood down there. The more wood the better. A gunsmiths kid needs more college money.
If it comes free with wood then it wasn't really stuck. You got lucky. Same goes for any other material mentioned here. While aluminum, brass, etc are better than wood, by far the best thing to use is a bore-riding piece of drill rod. If the case it truly stuck to the chamber walls, the softer materials will add to the jam. If it wont tap out with the O-1 rod, then you need to stop an take it to someone that REALLY knows what they are doing and has the equipment and knowledge to get it out without screwing up the gun.


A post from a few years back. Everything but the kitchen sink down there! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=12

Last edited by kendog4570; 10-10-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-10-2019, 9:55 AM
CaliforniaCowboy's Avatar
CaliforniaCowboy CaliforniaCowboy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 790
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Is it weird I have never had a stuck case? I need to shoot more I guess.
I have also never cracked a cell phone screen.

I am a bit ocd and keep my guns clean, clean and lube after every use and have not shot steel case through my rifles as of yet.
__________________
Why Brits do not have a 2A.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM
kcstott kcstott is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,702
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
By all means please shove wood down there. The more wood the better. A gunsmiths kid needs more college money.
If it comes free with wood then it wasn't really stuck. You got lucky. Same goes for any other material mentioned here. While aluminum, brass, etc are better than wood, by far the best thing to use is a bore-riding piece of drill rod. If the case it truly stuck to the chamber walls, the softer materials will add to the jam. If it wont tap out with the O-1 rod, then you need to stop an take it to someone that REALLY knows what they are doing and has the equipment and knowledge to get it out without screwing up the gun.


A post from a few years back. Everything but the kitchen sink down there! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=12
that or a tube a grease, a grease gun, and a grease fitting to fill the barrel full of grease. I've had to do this to get live rounds out.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:22 AM
kendog4570's Avatar
kendog4570 kendog4570 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 4,270
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
that or a tube a grease, a grease gun, and a grease fitting to fill the barrel full of grease. I've had to do this to get live rounds out.

Yep. That comes under the knowledge and experience thing. Wood makes a mighty fine, no-slip wedge.
Back in my ironworking/rigging days, if you were working with Portagee John, and you didn't have a sliver of wood ready to put between the jack and the load, he would get your money so fast it would make your head spin. WOOD DON'T SLIP! He was right. Still have all my fingers!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM
kcstott kcstott is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,702
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
Yep. That comes under the knowledge and experience thing. Wood makes a mighty fine, no-slip wedge.
Back in my ironworking/rigging days, if you were working with Portagee John, and you didn't have a sliver of wood ready to put between the jack and the load, he would get your money so fast it would make your head spin. WOOD DON'T SLIP! He was right. Still have all my fingers!
right there with you and yeah that is part of the knowledge base. Why I didn't mention it in the first place as I'm pretty sure he don't have working knowledge of machine tools.

As for the wood deal. Yep. I've wedged enough large machinery to know thats the damn truth
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-10-2019, 1:13 PM
pacrat pacrat is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Socialist Republic of SoCal
Posts: 6,178
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Most times that people stick a bullet in the bore or a round in the chamber, they start with a wooden dowel that then gets stuck in the bore with the bullet.
The wood really gets in the way of clearing the bore.

If you use a piece of wood, do NOT use a hammer.
You have no business using wood for something that's harder to remove than simple finger pressure.

If wood and fingers won't pop it free, proceed directly to a tightly fitted brass rod just slightly longer than the barrel so that only an inch or two sticks out and then use a hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
By all means please shove wood down there. The more wood the better. A gunsmiths kid needs more college money.
If it comes free with wood then it wasn't really stuck. You got lucky. Same goes for any other material mentioned here. While aluminum, brass, etc are better than wood, by far the best thing to use is a bore-riding piece of drill rod. If the case it truly stuck to the chamber walls, the softer materials will add to the jam. If it wont tap out with the O-1 rod, then you need to stop an take it to someone that REALLY knows what they are doing and has the equipment and knowledge to get it out without screwing up the gun.


A post from a few years back. Everything but the kitchen sink down there! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...3&postcount=12
It is a very good idea when asking for advice on interweb forums. To follow the advice of those that are knowledgeable professionals in the field. Not those who tell you to shove timber in rifle barrels.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-10-2019, 3:13 PM
Q's Avatar
Q Q is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: LA
Posts: 6,138
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Is it weird I have never had a stuck case? I need to shoot more I guess.
I have also never cracked a cell phone screen.

I am a bit ocd and keep my guns clean, clean and lube after every use and have not shot steel case through my rifles as of yet.
I donít clean guns and I got this one used.
Iím going to have to clean this chamber but that means having to buying a cleaning kit!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-10-2019, 5:35 PM
kendog4570's Avatar
kendog4570 kendog4570 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oakhurst, CA
Posts: 4,270
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I donít clean guns and I got this one used.
Iím going to have to clean this chamber but that means having to buying a cleaning kit!

Do push ups....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-10-2019, 9:58 PM
RTE's Avatar
RTE RTE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Just over the bridge in AZ
Posts: 1,742
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Might try a welding supply for a longer brass or aluminum rod.
It's an empty case so removal should be easy enough.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-2019, 2:51 AM
kcstott kcstott is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,702
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I donít clean guns and I got this one used.
Iím going to have to clean this chamber but that means having to buying a cleaning kit!
You either don't shoot much or you munch donuts and a dept armor cleans your nasty gear.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:37 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.