Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-29-2012, 8:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Bond's Walther PPK goes digital: A civilized gun updated

We’re talking about an individual from a certain social background, somebody who possesses a deliberate and definite sense of choice and taste.

But Bond author Ian Fleming was inspired by the world of the 1940s and 1950s; so how do you keep the legend fresh yet true to the original?

One of the people handed this challenge on the latest Bond outing Skyfall is property master Jamie Wilkinson: and his favorite prop is the Walther PPK pistol, a timeless weapon that’s been updated for a world where absolutes such as the "best" weapon of choice have been pushed aside by the stampede of crowd-sourced truthiness.

Skyfall's look is ultramodern and contemporary with a story line tackling hackers and computers and with Bond sporting an aggressively minimalist buzz cut. How do you update something as small, simple and distinctive as the PPK to fit in with this?

More at: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10...mes_bonds_ppk/
Old 10-29-2012, 8:44 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
There were lots of discussions, but eventually it was decided less was more. The big new addition is a fingerprint recognition system that makes it impossible for anyone but Bond to fire his PPK, with the hand grip moulded to Craig's shooting hand. The design needed final approval by manufacturer Walther,
Whatever. Bond knew about shot placement, when shooting anything.

Ask ***** Galore, Plenty O'Toole, Xenia Onatopp, or Holly Goodhead.

ALotta Vagina may have appreciated his accuracy too.
Old 10-29-2012, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I thought he switched to the P99 in the first movie after Goldeneye? Honestly, that was the last Bond movie I watched.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

They are going back to a special version of the PPK/S for Skyfall. The gun is supposedly equipped with a fingerprint recognition system. I kinda like the look of it.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anti gun BS...

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX22 View Post
Anti gun BS...

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Exactly the point AJAX22.This is a prop which is going to cause us problems down the line.

We already know anti-gun people get their firearm knowledge exclusively from Hollywood.The morons in D.C., Chicago, NJ, and California will watch Skyfall and certainly think "hey! Lets make firearms hard to buy AND impossible to use by legally mandating an expensive and unworkable accesory be attached to all legally owned weapons!Think of the lives we'll save by mandating bio-recognition grips on civil firearms! "

Thanks a lot Q.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

But on the plus side -

We can now mount rockets on our Aston Martins....
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
They are going back to a special version of the PPK/S for Skyfall. The gun is supposedly equipped with a fingerprint recognition system. I kinda like the look of it.

gotcha.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
Exactly the point AJAX22.This is a prop which is going to cause us problems down the line.

We already know anti-gun people get their firearm knowledge exclusively from Hollywood.The morons in D.C., Chicago, NJ, and California will watch Skyfall and certainly think "hey! Lets make firearms hard to buy AND impossible to use by legally mandating an expensive and unworkable accesory be attached to all legally owned weapons!Think of the lives we'll save by mandating bio-recognition grips on civil firearms! "

Thanks a lot Q.
Pretty much. Not to mention that in real life such a device would be a serious liability - he got a weapon that can be remotely disabled, cannot be passed to someone else, and has extra points of malfunction, subject to bugs in code. All that for a very dubious benefit (bad guys dont' have their own guns? The caliber that he's purported to deal with? Really?)

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Relax, people. As annoying as it may seem, this is part of the plot.
Old 10-29-2012, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Advantages:

Discreet and light travel.

Disadvantages:

You better score some heavy artillery if you're going to stay and fight.

Of course, since it's 007, we always know he's capable of doing the latter, anytime, anywhere.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 10-29-2012, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, like our beloved president said about rifles/weapons that soldiers use not needing to be in the hands of civilians-let's go ahead and move that down to handguns as well. Obviously I haven't seen the movie but I don't see how this anti-gun wizardry can help the story at all...

I don't always save the world, but when I do, it's in 24 hours or less...
Old 10-30-2012, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Default meh

Kinda off topic but I saw a Walther .22 that was very very good looking. It was the Brushed Chrome really have to see it in person to appreciate the finish. If I could get a larger round in that finish I think I would. Very calssy indeed.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A Walther PPK is a design that stands the test of time, and was ahead of its time when made. But by being made compact and reliable for the time, that meant it had to succumb to using an anemic caliber.

I would think that if a modern Bond were choosing a well made compact firearm to slip in his Brooks Brothers suit, he would not sacrifice advances in small gun strength and larger caliber options, so he would still choose something sophisticated, while reliable and well built in a larger caliber, like a Sig Sauer P250 Compact 40, Kahr MK40, or a CZ 2075 RAMI in .40S&W.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Calguns Addict

I saw it, hands down the best bond film. The internet is your friend.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
A Walther PPK is a design that stands the test of time, and was ahead of its time when made. But by being made compact and reliable for the time, that meant it had to succumb to using an anemic caliber.

I would think that if a modern Bond were choosing a well made compact firearm to slip in his Brooks Brothers suit, he would not sacrifice advances in small gun strength and larger caliber options, so he would still choose something sophisticated, while reliable and well built in a larger caliber, like a Sig Sauer P250 Compact 40, Kahr MK40, or a CZ 2075 RAMI in .40S&W.
I would think James Bond should have the bread to acquire a fitted suit and Walther PPQ to match.If MI6s budget has to choose between M's hair dye and 007's sidearm, hand him a Glock 17 and call it good.

Either way, the days of being "forced" to carry a compact pistol are long behind us. Remember in the 1960s(IIRC) when Ian Fleming penned 007 your practical choice of semi autos period were the PPK series, 1911's, and the P35. Not exactly an overwhelming set of options, and considering Bladetech and Kydex weren't invented yet holster technology wasn't all that much better.Thus if you needed to carry a weapon in a CCW role "back in the day" it was the PPK or a knife and whatever prayer you could remember under fire.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 11-01-2012, 1:57 AM

As a special agent maybe he has access to explosive tipped bullets of some kind so they do more damage. Just tossing out an idea on why he can get away with a sub caliber gun shot placement aside. It's all fiction anyway. Plenty of ways to rationalize it as it would be my primary weapon choice. Then again, I'd imagine he's deep undercover so maybe a highly concealable pistol makes sense.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 11-01-2012, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd love a Walther PPK in .40 cal.