Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 02-08-2013, 5:13 PM

Default for sale/ wtb ads

All for sale or WTB ads need to have the location in the heading.
Some people do it and some don't.
How about counties?
Thanks.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur46 View Post
All for sale or WTB ads need to have the location in the heading.
Some people do it and some don't.
How about counties?
Thanks.
I don't know how many times we need to keep saying this until the powers that be (which I assume are probably a bit long in tooth as simple web optimizations take ages to get done on this forum compared to others) finally get around to it. I am all for experienced mods and think they do a good job but we need some faster more programming savvy tech guys running the actual site.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation A proposed amendment to signatures...

I would like to propose we amend the rule set for signature images to a smaller size. It is tiresome when someone has a maxed out jpg or moving gif as their signature which clutters up a lot of real estate on a thread. If they post several times in a thread, it just is over cooked and gets silly. I don't want CGN to look over cooked like so many other forums in the world get.

...just a thought.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 02-10-2013, 7:38 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
I would like to propose we amend the rule set for signature images to a smaller size. It is tiresome when someone has a maxed out jpg or moving gif as their signature which clutters up a lot of real estate on a thread. If they post several times in a thread, it just is over cooked and gets silly. I don't want CGN to look over cooked like so many other forums in the world get.

...just a thought.
Not that I disagree but you do know you can turn off signatures?

User control panel>Settings & options>edit options>Thread display options>Visable post elements>Show signatures

I do think users should better manage their sigs though.

+1 for mandatory user location, at least county level!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
Not that I disagree but you do know you can turn off signatures?
I do, but I actually like seeing what most have in them...

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 02-11-2013, 8:36 AM

+1 on adding mandatory location in the heading for WTB. Also please add location in the search. For the search it doesn't need to be too specific. If I'm in San Diego I'm also looking all the way to north LA. Willing to drive a couple hours (twice, ugh) for the right equipment. Unlike the previous poster, I'm in SoCal and seems everything I'm looking for is in NorCal. ;-)

Also, avatars have a size limit, should be easy to do the same for sigs.

Mobile version needs some work. Very difficult to go to messages, I usually have to switch versions. Right now if I want to go to the home page I need to hit the Geovario graphic.

Last edited by SCM; 02-11-2013 at 8:38 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 1:30 PM

Need a way to delete sold items on "The Marketplace"
Old 02-14-2013, 2:17 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown57due View Post
what for, just leave the thread alone and it will sink to the bottom. besides, you aren't supposed to delete threads, it messes up the iTrader.

DOn't post a new reply telling us it was sold, and bumping it in the process, just edit the subject and title and add in "SOLD" and call it done.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-14-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
what for, just leave the thread alone and it will sink to the bottom. besides, you aren't supposed to delete threads, it messes up the iTrader.

DOn't post a new reply telling us it was sold, and bumping it in the process, just edit the subject and title and add in "SOLD" and call it done.

^^This, I hate when I search for new posts just to see a marketplace post saying DELETE PLEASE
Old 02-20-2013, 7:29 PM

How about separating the WTB thread into two threads, pistols and long guns? Every day seems there are 10 pages to look through. Would make it so much easier to browse.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown57due View Post
Quote:

Agree/agree..

I like threads not being deleted because its nice to be able to SEARCH for current market prices for stuff..

However it is tremendously annoying to open post after post that someone bumped ("still have") or OP didn't bother to mark (post title) sold..

I will admit it took me a minute to figure out how to EDIT the title..

So maybe make that a bit more obvious.. But then some people will sell stuff and will just be too lazy to edit either way.
Old 02-21-2013, 9:52 PM

After some thought.. perhaps,
(other than all the new members MULTI-POSTING instead of BUMPING and posting separate listings for each item and/or both because they either don't care or didn't bother to read the rules!)

The problem that's bugged me the most, is when you "hover" over a marketplace post, you can see (sometimes) the location of the seller/item..

But doing a search of say "San Diego" might not turn up some of these same results..

As much as I loath the word "universal" these days.. I'd like to see a feature that requires an "area" (county or zip) to post in the market place and/or an advanced feature that allows you to search with in a radius..

Basically I'd like to do accurate "broad" search of my area first.. And not miss something because the info isn't specific.. As opposed to searching every individual thing I might be interested in and having to sift through posts in Sacramento etc..

Hope that makes sense!
Old 02-24-2013, 9:15 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Wondering about pm's.

Is there a way to say "blast a group" using pm?

For example, I'd like to send a group pm to the South Coast social group or all Ventura C3 or say even my "contacts/friends list".

I thought somebody did this a few weeks back re: a range clean up in Santa Barbara but I don't see any way to do it. They must've done it manually.

I guess it could be misused for spamming and you can always start a thread but when you're trying to get the right eyes on something a feature like that may be useful.

Or somewhat related, does anyone have suggestions/tips on creating email groups? I've looked a little at google groups and it looks promising.

Old 02-25-2013, 5:24 AM

Mobile please
Old 03-02-2013, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Make it so you can't sell something until your have a certain amount of posts like 50 and/or a member for 3 months. I think we are doing the market a disservice by helping people sell items that they're buying from vendors only to flip it at an inflated price.

Things won't calm down until inventory isn't so scarce. An example I was on BCM's notification system for a BCG and an upper and about a week later after I missed it by minutes they show up in our marketplace with a jack@$$ price.
Old 03-13-2013, 6:50 AM

I saw on another firearms forum that had the ability to thumbs or thumbs down someones thread/comment anonymously right their on that persons thread. The other item was the ability to have a "thank you" right on that thread to the writer. These might cut down on the lengthy repetitive quotes in a thread.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM

Please, for the love of god, separate Reloading from Ammo in the marketplace.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisje011 View Post
Please, for the love of god, separate Reloading from Ammo in the marketplace.
2nd that. Please!
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Exactly.
Old 03-18-2013, 2:11 PM
Banned

Gee... here's one. Don't ban people for first time mistakes.

Posted a link to my sale in a thread that was specifically complaining about the lack of availability for the exact type of gun I was selling. Got banned for "spamming the entire forum with your sales ad". B.S.

A friendly email could have cleared that up easy. But Calguns mods aren't really into friendly or fair.

I tried to email asking what was up. Never heard back.

Open letter suggestion... BE NICE. BE FAIR. Treat others like you would like to be treated. Maybe that's too much to ask but thought I would throw it out there. I recommended a friend to join CG the other day... He said "ummm...I went there once, those people are kind of jerks".

It's hard to grow into California's premiere gun group when we have a rep for being people others don't like to hang around with.
Old 03-20-2013, 2:29 PM

not sure if this is the forum to post this in, but i don't see an obviously more appropriate alternative.

i'm a noob here, and i am concerned when i see postings like this:
Quote:
The outrage is safely packed away ready to be loaded into a rifle.

The only way someone can take your rights is to take your life.
IMO, this kind of tone plays into gun controllers' hands, because it reinforces the common belief that we are one and the same with the adam lanzas and james holmes of the world: loose cannons who are one rage trigger away from indiscriminately opening fire.

is there a mod policy that treats this? or are you hands-off outside the explicitly stated posting rules in the Forum Rules thread?
Old 03-20-2013, 4:04 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ on a crutch View Post
not sure if this is the forum to post this in, but i don't see an obviously more appropriate alternative.

i'm a noob here, and i am concerned when i see postings like this:

IMO, this kind of tone plays into gun controllers' hands, because it reinforces the common belief that we are one and the same with the adam lanzas and james holmes of the world: loose cannons who are one rage trigger away from indiscriminately opening fire.

is there a mod policy that treats this? or are you hands-off outside the explicitly stated posting rules in the Forum Rules thread?
You don't like comments such as "snitches get stitches"?!??

If you're offended by something you can use the "report" button (upper right corner of each reply in a thread), I guess. From there it's up to the mods. Or you could do it the honorable way and just call em on it inside the thread, that'll show that theres different perspectives.

Old 03-20-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_eSeVe View Post
You don't like comments such as "snitches get stitches"?!??

If you're offended by something you can use the "report" button (upper right corner of each reply in a thread), I guess. From there it's up to the mods. Or you could do it the honorable way and just call em on it inside the thread, that'll show that theres different perspectives.
you didn't notice that i named no names here.

there are clear rules that cover tone and content of discussion on this site. what i'm asking is whether this style of remark offends them. because if it does, the best course is to just let the mods know so they can get the post off the site.
Old 03-20-2013, 5:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Report the post by clicking on the button at the top right of each post. This will give you a chance to send a message to the Moderator staff who can review the post and make a determination on whether something needs to be done about it or not.
Old 03-20-2013, 6:05 PM
Banned

Require "location" in profile. Forget itrader, it doesn't indicate a thing worthwhile about a seller or a buyer.
Old 03-25-2013, 6:57 PM

It's time to make this site MAINSTREAM.

1. Blog, create daily articles...similar to Engadget, forum should be secondary (well sort of).
2. Allow users to comment on articles and/or news using calguns login, Facebook, Disqus, etc.
3. Showcase of deals and coupons, similar to Fatwallet
4. Instructional videos and product reviews. (youtube)
5. Open an estore, sell stickers, t-shirts, coffee mugs for now
5. Most importantly more advertisements to help fund the update of the website. I don't mind looking at advertisements if it means more materials to look at and an increase of users on the site.
Old 04-08-2013, 4:15 PM

Default List gun parts in the "Parts" category

Why are we listing "uppers" and "lowers" and other misc gun/rifle parts in the guns for sale/trade category. Lets put them where they belong in the next category below, the Gun Parts Listings....... Having to wade through all these to find a complete firearm is very cumbersome.
Old 04-08-2013, 8:30 PM

A recommendation from another forum I visit, when someone is quoted, put a notification in the bottom corner, or have a pop-up notification. That way I know if my thread, question or comment was answered/commented on and I can do the same.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:27 AM

Don't let posts in off topic apply to your post count or better yet hide or eliminate the post count altogether.

There's been a trend of one word, inane posts cluttering up threads and scrolling through 2 pages of "IBFP" and "THIS!" on a mobile device to find meaningful discussion is annoying.
Old 04-18-2013, 8:14 AM

I'd like to see a way of separating the sales forum by region. All the guns I want are in Norcal : (
Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM

I'm finding that many Calgunners are still not really up-to-date with the legislation in California right now. Anything from the banning of online ammo sales to banning all semi-auto rifles (including rimfire).

If there was a way to add this as the First Post in any thread would force us to read these. I know they're at the top of each Category, but if you place them in each thread, then we could really get the word out.

I've been calling my Representative every week and writing to them as well, but it's feeling hopeless. We need more activism, and the only way to do that is to get everyone better informed.
Old 05-09-2013, 2:41 PM

Can CalGuns require private sellers in the marketplace include their general location or City in the thread title (SF Bay Area, SoCAL, San Diego, etc.)? Clicking each thread just to find out they only want face to face and are no where near you is sort of tedious.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM

I'd like to be able to have a watch list with folders and an X-out function. The X-out means if I am looking at Private Firearms and am not interested in a particular posting I can click a box to make sure that posting never comes up for me again, that way I don't have to keep viewing the stuff I don't want to see when looking to buy something. Maybe a paid subscription could allow users to use more robust features like this in the existing forums, as a way to offset costs to build.

Also, we used to be able to search with an "or" function. (Example: Lincoln|Rocklin|Roseville|Sacramento would bring up listings if any one or more of those words were in a posting). Don't know why that doesn't work anymore.

Last edited by Vinnie; 05-15-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 2:23 PM

Default http://www.shop42a.com/

Is http://www.shop42a.com/ the link to get to Amazon and have a percentage go to CalGuns? It's not working. Can someone tell me the correct link? Thanks

OK I got it in Vinnie's signature in the post just above this one. Thanks

Last edited by Squire29; 05-28-2013 at 1:02 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -G- View Post
Can we please have vBulletin updated to prevent an exact duplicate post written by the same person?

I was reading through a thread and found three people who each posted twice... in a row. I've given up reading some threads because of so many duplicate posts.

This free plugin for vBulletin should do the trick: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=218775

I checked and it IS compatible with calguns.net's vBulletin 3.8.7
There is a bug in Google Chrome/Chromium that causes double posts on quick reply. This could also be a bug with how the web server is setup if it's sending the wrong response, or if the response times out.
Old 06-03-2013, 3:41 PM

Default location requirement for sellers

Hi guys,
Sorry if this has been asked too many times.
Isn't there a requirement that the sellers location be in the top line of the post?
Can you search by location?
Sure would save time.
Thanks, W
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

It isn't the cost. It creates a lot of busywork as people will constantly misclassify their ads which generates a bunch of alerts and takes time to resolve. I'm not saying there won't be a change but having more granular forums isn't always a universal improvement.
Old 06-21-2013, 7:07 PM

How about separate sections in marketplace for Ammo & Reloading supplies. Tired of having to sift thru all the "Ammo" ads to see what equipment & supplies might have come up. Just a thought
Old 06-25-2013, 5:14 AM
Veteran Member

Default Membership enrollment growth chart per year

It would be interesting to see the growth of CG on a year by year basis. Even on a monthly basis in the last couple of years. Might be an indication of the increase of gun/2A supporters.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkezuncle View Post
Open letter suggestion... BE NICE. BE FAIR. Treat others like you would like to be treated. Maybe that's too much to ask but thought I would throw it out there. I recommended a friend to join CG the other day... He said "ummm...I went there once, those people are kind of jerks".

It's hard to grow into California's premiere gun group when we have a rep for being people others don't like to hang around with.

This issue needs to be addressed at some point. I’m in the same mindset as Monkezuncle. I looked into this forum before joining and asked around and got the same response he did from other people. Some of the members here aren’t known for their patience and understanding. I’ve read through some threads that crossed to line of civility. Sometimes it’s hard to differentiate between sarcasm and subtle humor when reading a post and not being face to face. Just adding a ‘smilie’ at the end of the post would eliminate any confusion.

I’m here because I want to be, but if I feel defamed, I’m going somewhere else. I’m an older guy and I’ve been using forums for years and this is the first one I’ve experienced with this issue. This forum is large and I understand the moderators can’t oversee every thread, but it would be productive to follow-up on this. As for the OP’s, follow the suggestion in this thread and hit the “report post” icon. If nothing is resolved, find another forum.

I know, I’m a newbie here, but so was everyone else at one time. It’s one thing if the OP refers to themselves that way, but the membership shouldn’t use it to describe another member. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but the membership needs to treat people the way you want to be treated.

That’s my $.02

KC
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
-- George Washington

NRA & CRPA Life Member