Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anavaet View Post
Since this is a volunteer program, what benefits are there to the state reservists i.e. VA home loans, GI Bill, USAA?
You should join the SMR for the notion of selfless service and nothing more because the hours are long, and most of it is on your own dime.

That being said, there are full time State Active Duty billets. There are paid missions. Many of the benefits given to CalGuard soldiers are given to us. College tuition assistance after 2 years; veteran home loans after 6 years, USAA membership, 10% discount at Home Depot, but none of that compares to the notion that you do your job better than those that are paid a lot more. If you join with the idea that you are going to get more than you put in, then you wont be happy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by amishfarmer View Post
Sooo since I've retired USAF I've been looking for a job where I can serve and part of something bigger than myself again. Is there any opportunities for a retired E-6 Aircraft Mechanic?
There are all KINDS of opportunities. THIS is the attitude one must have. THIS is the type of Airman, Soldier, or Sailor the CSMR is looking for.

I'm not in recruiting, and don't quote me, but depending on how long it's been since you ETS'd, you can probably keep your E6 rank... might lose a grade, but you wont be coming in as an E3, I promise you.

If you need a recruiter PM me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.

Last edited by E Pluribus Unum; 06-15-2017 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-15-2017, 9:32 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Farmer / Flight - of course there is! The SMR has an Air Component, and though we don't get to wrench or safety-wire GE or P&W engines, there are still valuable missions for our airmen to accomplish alongside the ANG. PM me your email, and I can put you in contact with the team in NorCal who can tell you more. BTW - our Deputy Commander for the SMR is a retired USAF 1-star, so there is blue influence at HQ. You'd be able to keep virtually all your ABU and dress uniforms. Just a couple minor changes as per the Dept of the AF regs require of us.

Last edited by CrazyCobraManTim; 06-15-2017 at 9:33 PM.. Reason: misspelled.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-16-2017, 2:39 PM
amishfarmer's Avatar
amishfarmer amishfarmer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SUISUN
Posts: 375
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Sent you PM
__________________
I"m just a PA native trying to understand CA laws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Got mah home def self def STFH close quarter blah blah humma Schumma herp a derp EMP EOW ready for Mad Max blah blah Red Dawn merca good2go hunker down bugout bag rock n roll preppd up for apocalypse Internet Walter Mitty cyber diahrrea gum flapping fantasy nonsense
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-17-2017, 9:53 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Farmer, thanks - I've replied to your PM and send the email. Check your inbox.

S/F,

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:36 AM
epbrown1967 epbrown1967 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hello! Is there a POC for Santa Barbara area?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:45 AM
say12's Avatar
say12 say12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 185
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I tried joining USAA.was told state defense forces were not eligible.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-28-2017, 2:50 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by say12 View Post
I tried joining USAA.was told state defense forces were not eligible.
You have to have a Leave and Earnings Statement.

SMR on paid SAD get one every month. Anyone that goes on paid SAD, even for a short term will get one.

If you do your 1 drill per month and are not on paid SAD, you wont get it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-29-2017, 10:35 PM
say12's Avatar
say12 say12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 185
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

My unit drills 2 days a month. Very few of the us are paid SAD. When benefits were discussed nothing was said about SAD to qualify forthem.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-06-2017, 5:50 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by say12 View Post
My unit drills 2 days a month.
So does mine... what's your point?

Even units that drill two days per month, only one is required. We that have an increased drive to serve do so willingly. You don't get a browny button for it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by say12 View Post
Very few of the us are paid SAD.
You don't have to be on full-time SAD to get a LES. Anyone that goes on a single paid SAD mission will get one. All you have to do is go on one single paid mission and then apply at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by say12 View Post
When benefits were discussed nothing was said about SAD to qualify forthem.
Thanks for the reply.
Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum
That being said, there are full time State Active Duty billets. There are paid missions. Many of the benefits given to CalGuard soldiers are given to us. College tuition assistance after 2 years; veteran home loans after 6 years, USAA membership, 10% discount at Home Depot, but none of that compares to the notion that you do your job better than those that are paid a lot more. If you join with the idea that you are going to get more than you put in, then you wont be happy.
Home Depot discounts and USAA membership are private corporations. You don't "Deserve" anything from them.

As it turns out, you picked the ONE thing that requires SAD. All normal SMR get everything else.

As said previously, you must stop looking at it as "what can I get".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-06-2017, 8:21 AM
say12's Avatar
say12 say12 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 185
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I am not looking at "what i can get" ! The USAA membership was the first time i had applied for ANYTHING in regards to the CSMR. You do not know me! your reply is unnecessary and insulting!!
__________________
NRA Endowment member.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-07-2017, 6:53 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by say12 View Post
I am not looking at "what i can get" ! The USAA membership was the first time i had applied for ANYTHING in regards to the CSMR. You do not know me! your reply is unnecessary and insulting!!
No need to get butt-hurt. Just being matter-of-fact. And... odds are... we probably do know each other if you are at Los Al.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-18-2017, 8:15 PM
tienquach82's Avatar
tienquach82 tienquach82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The CSMR is all about Selfless Service.

I Served 8 years in the CSMR and loved it. I served with ISC at Los Al for 6 years (all volunteer work, which I really enjoyed) then at JFHQ for 2 years with several Emergency State Active Duty paid orders.

Then finally gave up my CSMR SSG stripes for an Army National Guard gold bar in 25APR17. I took a Direct Commission from the Army National Guard and discharged from the CSMR recently.

I received the California National Guard Educational Assistance Award Program https://nationalguard.csac.ca.gov/ which paid for college. (Thank you National Guard, it was a blessing). This got me the Direct Commission in the Army National Guard after graduate school.

I do not believe CSMR service members qualify for the VA home loan program:
To be eligible for a VA Loan, veterans, active duty service members, National Guard members and reservists must meet the basic service requirements set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Spouses of military members who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability may also be eligible.
It's ultimately up to the VA to determine eligibility for the home loan program, but prospective borrowers can get a good idea by looking at the VA's basic eligibility guidelines.You have served 90 consecutive days of active service during wartime, OR
You have served 181 days of active service during peacetime, OR
You have more than 6 years of service in the National Guard or Reserves, OR
You are the spouse of a service member who has died in the line of duty or as a result of a service-related disability.
https://www.veteransunited.com/va-lo...n-eligibility/

From reading this I do not believe I qualify for a VA home loan with my CSMR service, but will be able to qualify with my Army National Guard service in the future.

This is the requirements for the CALVET Home Loan program:
All veterans who served on active duty a minimum of 90 days (not including active duty for training purposes only), whether during wartime or peacetime, are eligible.

Eligibility requires service under honorable conditions.

There are no prior residency rules. A veteran may have entered service from outside California. National Guard or reservists who have been ordered to active duty, including Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) duty are eligible. https://www.calvet.ca.gov/HomeLoans/...igibility.aspx

I don't think CSMR service members are eligible for this either, but correct me if i'm wrong. Typically the word reserves refers to Army, AirForce, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard Reserves, title 10 eligible reserves. The only exception that I know of is the US Public Health Service, they also receive VA benefits.

If you can find the regulations that say a CSMR service member is eligible for a Home Loan I'm all ears! I'm currently looking for purchase my first home.

Last edited by tienquach82; 09-19-2017 at 7:38 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-25-2017, 5:07 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienquach82 View Post
The CSMR is all about Selfless Service.

I Served 8 years in the CSMR and loved it. I served with ISC at Los Al for 6 years (all volunteer work, which I really enjoyed) then at JFHQ for 2 years with several Emergency State Active Duty paid orders.

Then finally gave up my CSMR SSG stripes for an Army National Guard gold bar in 25APR17. I took a Direct Commission from the Army National Guard and discharged from the CSMR recently.

I received the California National Guard Educational Assistance Award Program https://nationalguard.csac.ca.gov/ which paid for college. (Thank you National Guard, it was a blessing). This got me the Direct Commission in the Army National Guard after graduate school.

I do not believe CSMR service members qualify for the VA home loan program:
To be eligible for a VA Loan, veterans, active duty service members, National Guard members and reservists must meet the basic service requirements set forth by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Spouses of military members who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-connected disability may also be eligible.
It's ultimately up to the VA to determine eligibility for the home loan program, but prospective borrowers can get a good idea by looking at the VA's basic eligibility guidelines.You have served 90 consecutive days of active service during wartime, OR
You have served 181 days of active service during peacetime, OR
You have more than 6 years of service in the National Guard or Reserves, OR
You are the spouse of a service member who has died in the line of duty or as a result of a service-related disability.
https://www.veteransunited.com/va-lo...n-eligibility/

From reading this I do not believe I qualify for a VA home loan with my CSMR service, but will be able to qualify with my Army National Guard service in the future.

This is the requirements for the CALVET Home Loan program:
All veterans who served on active duty a minimum of 90 days (not including active duty for training purposes only), whether during wartime or peacetime, are eligible.

Eligibility requires service under honorable conditions.

There are no prior residency rules. A veteran may have entered service from outside California. National Guard or reservists who have been ordered to active duty, including Active Guard/Reserve (AGR) duty are eligible. https://www.calvet.ca.gov/HomeLoans/...igibility.aspx

I don't think CSMR service members are eligible for this either, but correct me if i'm wrong. Typically the word reserves refers to Army, AirForce, Marines, Navy and Coast Guard Reserves, title 10 eligible reserves. The only exception that I know of is the US Public Health Service, they also receive VA benefits.

If you can find the regulations that say a CSMR service member is eligible for a Home Loan I'm all ears! I'm currently looking for purchase my first home.
LT,
Yes sir, I appreciate your opinion on the matter. I am no longer on the Army side of the SMR, but when I was, my 1SG spoke several times of soldiers that had received the loans. I have implicit trust in the honesty of my 1SG so I find it hard to believe he would fabricate such stories, and since I have not yet been in for 6 years, I have not visited the possibility.

ALCON,

I've had several private messages regarding SMR getting home loans. I will post the reply here so that over time anyone reading this post will have the information.

When I was on the Army side, my 1SG spoke of several SMR that were able to partake in VA home loans. As with anything else, this is going to require documentation. Currently, I can't even get orders from HQ for the awards I am due, so good luck on getting documentation of 6 years of service, through 2 reorders and 3-4 CGs. That being said, there have been those that have fought the uphill battle and won. The pertinent information can be found here: https://www.benefits.va.gov/guardres...ional-tech.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Website Above
VA Home Loan benefits help Servicemembers and Veterans purchase, retain, or adapt a home. National Guard and Reserve members may qualify for a VA-guaranteed home loan by meeting one of the following conditions:

Six years of service in the Selected Reserve, AND
Were discharged honorably, OR
Were placed on the retired list, OR
Were transferred to the Standby Reserve or an element of the Ready Reserve other than the Selected Reserve after service characterized as honorable, OR
Continues to serve in the Selected Reserve longer than six years, OR
Served for 90 days or more on active duty during a wartime period, OR
Were discharged or released from active duty for a service-connected disability
So, an SMR soldier that has been in longer than 6 years, and still serves should be eligible for said loans. I have not been in for 6 years so I am not willing to put in the work to make it happen.

My former 1SG knows of several that have received the loans; whether or not that was because they slipped through the cracks, or those soldiers were simply tenacious enough to jump through all of the hoops, I don't know.

If anyone has any information regarding the process, feel free to post here.

V/r,

EPU
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 09-26-2017, 1:21 PM
tienquach82's Avatar
tienquach82 tienquach82 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 119
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Were those CSMR soldiers prior Federal Service or National Guard? And were those home loans through the VA Federal Government or through Cal Vet California Government?

Best benefit that I received from the CSMR was wearing the uniform and serving the National Guard. I enjoyed Serving in the CSMR so much that I commissioned into the Army National Guard.

Last edited by tienquach82; 09-26-2017 at 2:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-07-2017, 9:36 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

LT Quach - CONGRATS! I was probably at your Commissioning - if you did it at Camp SLO 2 months ago. I would have been the "weird" looking one in naval khaki's.

For the the rest of posters - let's focus on "Ask not What My Country Can Do for Me, but What I Can (or will) Do for My State". The rest will work itself out. We aren't Title 10 US Armed forces, and those that are prior Title 10 will enjoy (?) some hard-earned benefits above and beyond what Title 32 State Volunteer service members may be eligible for.

LT Out.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-07-2017, 9:40 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

PS - Selected Reserves = Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard and Air Force (not to mention US Health Services and NOAA). That's it.

SMR service members simply are not Title 10. If SHTF - could you be asked (voluntold) to join the US Armed Forces - absolutely! SMR members are not exempt from Selective Service and every abled bodied man between 18-45 are automatically part of the Unorganized Militia of the US of A. SMR service does not preclude Uncle Sam from grabbing you if Dear Leader or Iran decide to get frisky.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM
nevets nevets is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Have any SMR seen this or have any info on it? I just saw it posted by NGAC a few weeks ago. Looks like the governor approved it on 21JUL17. Looks interesting...

AB-1711 State Military Reserve: Leave Benefits

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1711
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-12-2017, 1:52 PM
nevets nevets is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 89
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Regarding the question about VA Home Loans for SMR service members, I personally do not believe that SMR qualify for any type of benefit coming from the VA or the federal government, HOWEVER, I too have heard of SMR members with no prior federal service being granted VA or "VA type" home loans and I know one such service member personally.

Myself and this service member served in the same unit and had discussed with me how he received "a home loan that is very similar to a VA home loan" using his CSMR service to qualify. He had served in the SMR without a break in service since 2010 and had no prior federal service, nor did he have a family member/spouse that had served in the military. Of course, my ears perked right up and when I asked him how he qualified without prior service, he told me he gave a copy of his orders and some other documentation (he had been on paid SAD at JFHQ for several months the year before) to whoever was servicing his loan and they took care of the rest.

After looking into it and conducting my own research, I believe that he may have utilized what is known as a CalVet 97 Home Loan. The "CalVet Home Loans Fact Sheet" available at www.calvet.ca.gov says this about the CalVet 97 product:


"CALVET 97 - This loan provides alternative financing for veterans or property types that fall outside the CalVet/VA loan requirements. If you need a loan that exceeds your available VA entitlement only a 3% down payment is required."


I strongly believe that this may possibly be the "VA type" home loan that he qualified for. The other possibility is that he was able to obtain some sort of low interest/low down payment home loan that was product sponsored by his bank that is specifically geared towards military members, if there is such a thing. While I don't believe that we in the SMR qualify for such things, and I've never really looked into if we did or did not, I will say that I have been serving in the CSMR going on 5 years now and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if things like this started to become a reality for all SMR members given the leaps and strides that I have seen this organization make in the last few years. All this being said, I'm with tienquach82 in that the CSMR is all about selfless service and I am perfectly fine with earning nothing more than a pat on the back and an "atta boy" as payment for my service. In a way, it's kind of a bragging right :-)

Last edited by nevets; 10-12-2017 at 1:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-25-2017, 8:22 AM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I'm for all militias recognized by our states, and I appreciate the concepts of it, however I don't support militia members being entitled to any sort of VA benefits (unless member was prior service which would have nothing to do with serving for state militia anyways.)

A state militia is a different type of commitment and obligation. Yes the armed forces is voluntary too, but the level of obligation and commitment is so much higher.

State militia is something you devout your time and money to helping surrounding agencies (main focus I believe in california is search and rescue.) You can walk out whenever you want. Reserve/NG/active are required at some point to serve under title 10 thus entitling them for VA benefits.

State benefits is an entirely different issue and if California allows it so be it
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 11-03-2017, 11:22 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tienquach82 View Post
Were those CSMR soldiers prior Federal Service or National Guard? And were those home loans through the VA Federal Government or through Cal Vet California Government?

Best benefit that I received from the CSMR was wearing the uniform and serving the National Guard. I enjoyed Serving in the CSMR so much that I commissioned into the Army National Guard.
Thank you sir. I posted everything I knew of the situation. The following poster may have pinpointed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets View Post
Regarding the question about VA Home Loans for SMR service members, I personally do not believe that SMR qualify for any type of benefit coming from the VA or the federal government, HOWEVER, I too have heard of SMR members with no prior federal service being granted VA or "VA type" home loans and I know one such service member personally.

Myself and this service member served in the same unit and had discussed with me how he received "a home loan that is very similar to a VA home loan" using his CSMR service to qualify. He had served in the SMR without a break in service since 2010 and had no prior federal service, nor did he have a family member/spouse that had served in the military. Of course, my ears perked right up and when I asked him how he qualified without prior service, he told me he gave a copy of his orders and some other documentation (he had been on paid SAD at JFHQ for several months the year before) to whoever was servicing his loan and they took care of the rest.

After looking into it and conducting my own research, I believe that he may have utilized what is known as a CalVet 97 Home Loan. The "CalVet Home Loans Fact Sheet" available at www.calvet.ca.gov says this about the CalVet 97 product:


"CALVET 97 - This loan provides alternative financing for veterans or property types that fall outside the CalVet/VA loan requirements. If you need a loan that exceeds your available VA entitlement only a 3% down payment is required."


I strongly believe that this may possibly be the "VA type" home loan that he qualified for. The other possibility is that he was able to obtain some sort of low interest/low down payment home loan that was product sponsored by his bank that is specifically geared towards military members, if there is such a thing. While I don't believe that we in the SMR qualify for such things, and I've never really looked into if we did or did not, I will say that I have been serving in the CSMR going on 5 years now and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if things like this started to become a reality for all SMR members given the leaps and strides that I have seen this organization make in the last few years. All this being said, I'm with tienquach82 in that the CSMR is all about selfless service and I am perfectly fine with earning nothing more than a pat on the back and an "atta boy" as payment for my service. In a way, it's kind of a bragging right :-)
That may be indeed what it was. I simply do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprep View Post
I'm for all militias recognized by our states, and I appreciate the concepts of it, however I don't support militia members being entitled to any sort of VA benefits (unless member was prior service which would have nothing to do with serving for state militia anyways.)

A state militia is a different type of commitment and obligation. Yes the armed forces is voluntary too, but the level of obligation and commitment is so much higher.

State militia is something you devout your time and money to helping surrounding agencies (main focus I believe in california is search and rescue.) You can walk out whenever you want. Reserve/NG/active are required at some point to serve under title 10 thus entitling them for VA benefits.

State benefits is an entirely different issue and if California allows it so be it
It's obvious to me that you don't know anything about "State Militias". The California organized "State Militia" is controlled by the California Military Department. That department has two branches, the California National Guard, and the California State Military Reserve. Both are the state militia. Any other organization claiming to be a California "militia" is just a bunch of civilians camping in the woods with rifles....they are not recognized by the state.

Soooo... if you truly believe in your own statements, you are saying that no one in the national guard should be given benefits either.

Your comments are really outside the scope of this post. I would ask you would take the dialog into PM.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 11-07-2017, 9:51 PM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Nobody said the CSMR is an unorganized militia, also you clearly missed the part where I mentioned that the NG should be entitled to VA benefits due to them falling under title 10 orders if need be.

CSMR are not federal employees they are unpaid state volunteers (who are only paid when activated by the state.) so please tell me why or how they are entitled to the same benefits as a NG member who are federal employees. Are CSMR units deployed overseas? VA benefits are federal. It is why I believe if there are any benefits to give, it should strictly be state and not federal.

Do you understand now? You can PM me if you disagree, but you are very wrong or confused on this subject
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
Thank you sir. I posted everything I knew of the situation

Soooo... if you truly believe in your own statements, you are saying that no one in the national guard should be given benefits either.

Your comments are really outside the scope of this post. I would ask you would take the dialog into PM.
Actually speaking of the NG, I believe they are ones considered to be the 'organized militia' not the CSMR.
Again I appreciate the CSMR especially the NG...I'm a firm believer of state employees and volunteers being able to handle domestic issues.

From what I understand now, with the immediate reserve response act, the reserve component of the US ARMY (which are entirely federal) can be used like the NG and get involved domestically in a time of crisis. Furthermore, the commanders of these reserve units have the ability to make that call without an immediate civil authority permission or their own direct chain of command. I feel it infringes on the posse com act, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-08-2017, 4:31 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Strictly speaking - the CSMR is part of California's Organized Militia. We report to the Governor via our Commanding General, TAG and California's Military Department. We are covered by California's Military and Veteran's Code Section 550, which many parts are enjoined to the CAARNG and Naval Militia sections. Without debating it too much - both the state and federal code predominately (virtually explicitly) prohibits using CSMR forces for direct Title 10 activities OCONUS. But as a sage USMC SgtMaj (ret.) told me - Never say Never....

The CSMR predominately augments & supports the California National Guard and local 1st Responder agencies (local, county or State). Once or twice - we've gone to other states to help out (Katrina for example). The CSMR may occasionally assist the Big Army (Regular or Reserve) with training and Soldier Readiness Prep. And rarely - we've worked along these aforementioned Title 32 and Title 10 agencies, and even played OPFOR against friendly foreign nation's equivalent Title 10 branches.

You may be surprised at what nooks and crannies some of our service members end up in, depending on their past experience (MOS) or their current lot in life (allowing them the time or special skill set to assist).

*******************************************

The current United States Code, Title 10 (Armed forces), section 311 (Militia: Composition and Classes), paragraph (a) states: "The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard."[52] Section 313 of Title 32 refers to persons with prior military experience. ("Sec. 313. Appointments and enlistments: age limitation (a) To be eligible for original enlistment in the National Guard, a person must be at least 17 years of age and under 45, or under 64 years of age and a former member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps. To be eligible for reenlistment, a person must be under 64 years of age. (b) To be eligible for appointment as an officer of the National Guard, a person must – (1) be a citizen of the United States; and (2) be at least 18 years of age and under 64.")
These persons remain members of the militia until age 64. Paragraph (b) further states, "The classes of the militia are: (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."[53]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/311

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...Cite:+10USC311

Last edited by CrazyCobraManTim; 11-08-2017 at 4:37 AM.. Reason: missing puncuation
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-08-2017, 5:31 PM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Strictly speaking - the CSMR is part of California's Organized Militia. We report to the Governor via our Commanding General, TAG and California's Military Department. We are covered by California's Military and Veteran's Code Section 550, which many parts are enjoined to the CAARNG and Naval Militia sections. Without debating it too much - both the state and federal code predominately (virtually explicitly) prohibits using CSMR forces for direct Title 10 activities OCONUS. But as a sage USMC SgtMaj (ret.) told me - Never say Never....

The CSMR predominately augments & supports the California National Guard and local 1st Responder agencies (local, county or State). Once or twice - we've gone to other states to help out (Katrina for example). The CSMR may occasionally assist the Big Army (Regular or Reserve) with training and Soldier Readiness Prep. And rarely - we've worked along these aforementioned Title 32 and Title 10 agencies, and even played OPFOR against friendly foreign nation's equivalent Title 10 branches.

You may be surprised at what nooks and crannies some of our service members end up in, depending on their past experience (MOS) or their current lot in life (allowing them the time or special skill set to assist).

*******************************************

The current United States Code, Title 10 (Armed forces), section 311 (Militia: Composition and Classes), paragraph (a) states: "The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard."[52] Section 313 of Title 32 refers to persons with prior military experience. ("Sec. 313. Appointments and enlistments: age limitation (a) To be eligible for original enlistment in the National Guard, a person must be at least 17 years of age and under 45, or under 64 years of age and a former member of the Regular Army, Regular Navy, Regular Air Force, or Regular Marine Corps. To be eligible for reenlistment, a person must be under 64 years of age. (b) To be eligible for appointment as an officer of the National Guard, a person must – (1) be a citizen of the United States; and (2) be at least 18 years of age and under 64.")
These persons remain members of the militia until age 64. Paragraph (b) further states, "The classes of the militia are: (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia."[53]

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/311

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...Cite:+10USC311
You are right, and I also get the fact that CSMR augment the NG when they are deployed. I get it. There are also certain privileges some state reserve members are granted, to teach various classes to both the NG and RA. I understand that. However, I don't understand, why an un-federalized state reserve member is entitled to VA benefits. That was my only opinion on the matter, and as you can clearly see here, some are talking about obtaining VA home loans through certain loop holes, which under normal circumstances, wouldn't be allowed to receive such benefits.

My point, I think it is awesome what the CSMR does for our state. They like many local agencies such as the LAPD, OCSherriffs, SB Sheriffs all help out the ARMY. Not only do these local agencies lend their range facilities to the Army Reserves and NG, but they also offer various classes like writing thorough reports, arrest procedures, and active shooter training.

In the end, we are all about the same mission, the safety of our homeland. However, not everyone is entitled to the same benefits. It all really depends.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-03-2017, 2:36 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprep View Post
You are right, and I also get the fact that CSMR augment the NG when they are deployed. I get it. There are also certain privileges some state reserve members are granted, to teach various classes to both the NG and RA. I understand that. However, I don't understand, why an un-federalized state reserve member is entitled to VA benefits. That was my only opinion on the matter, and as you can clearly see here, some are talking about obtaining VA home loans through certain loop holes, which under normal circumstances, wouldn't be allowed to receive such benefits.

My point, I think it is awesome what the CSMR does for our state. They like many local agencies such as the LAPD, OCSherriffs, SB Sheriffs all help out the ARMY. Not only do these local agencies lend their range facilities to the Army Reserves and NG, but they also offer various classes like writing thorough reports, arrest procedures, and active shooter training.

In the end, we are all about the same mission, the safety of our homeland. However, not everyone is entitled to the same benefits. It all really depends.
As pointed out previously, the "Va Home Loans" benefit turned out to be a CalVet loan so it's not under the auspices of the feds.

Regarding your non-federalized people being afforded VA benefits, a National Guardsman that has never been deployed outside his state (since IET/AIT) that serves 6 years is entitled to federal VA benefits....

It's not a loophole my friend, it's the law. I know a guy that served 100 days before being discharged on a failure to adapt... 20 years later he gets an attorney and ends up with VA benefits. I don't know how it's possible.... but it is.

I have a few former active-duty friends that think it's unfair I get the same Home Depot discount as they do. For some reason serving 4 years on active duty makes them feel entitled to more perks than the reservists. I get it; they embraced a whole lot more suck for a whole lot longer. In any branch of service in any era, unless you died there's always someone that served more, or sacrificed more. Don't feel slighted because someone that served less than you gets the same perk, just take pride that you were that much better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-03-2017, 2:44 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprep View Post
Nobody said the CSMR is an unorganized militia, also you clearly missed the part where I mentioned that the NG should be entitled to VA benefits due to them falling under title 10 orders if need be.

CSMR are not federal employees they are unpaid state volunteers (who are only paid when activated by the state.) so please tell me why or how they are entitled to the same benefits as a NG member who are federal employees. Are CSMR units deployed overseas? VA benefits are federal. It is why I believe if there are any benefits to give, it should strictly be state and not federal.

Do you understand now? You can PM me if you disagree, but you are very wrong or confused on this subject
Hey... we get $150 per year... so we're paid... ;-)

There are several paid full time state active duty jobs. We are also able to bid many AGR billets. Don't assume that all of us are unpaid, some of us make a very good living as a full-time soldier/airman/sailor.

In my case, an E3-E4 salary with less than 5 years TIS means the military can't pay me enough, so I work for free... (if that makes sense).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-04-2017, 2:31 PM
More2LifeThanMPG's Avatar
More2LifeThanMPG More2LifeThanMPG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Brea, CA
Posts: 88
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

This may sound like a selfish question, but are CSMR personal exempt from the roster of handguns? Or are they able to own 'high' capacity magazines?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-04-2017, 6:52 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 21,538
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by More2LifeThanMPG View Post
This may sound like a selfish question, but are CSMR personal exempt from the roster of handguns?
Nope.

Under CA laws/regulations...
All arms for use by the CSMR are to be supplied by the Gov. [MVC 410 & 554]
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-07-2017, 6:06 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,974
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by More2LifeThanMPG View Post
This may sound like a selfish question, but are CSMR personal exempt from the roster of handguns? Or are they able to own 'high' capacity magazines?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my reading of the newly-passed magazine ban I believe we are exempted because we are "members of the military".

I am not an attorney so I don't know for sure. I figured I would wait until it's all fought out in court, and in full force. It may be found unconstitutional in its entirety, thereby mooting the question.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-09-2017, 7:30 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 660
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Farmer - absolutely! Pm me about where you live and we’ll go from there🇺🇸!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-11-2017, 2:14 AM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
As pointed out previously, the "Va Home Loans" benefit turned out to be a CalVet loan so it's not under the auspices of the feds.

Regarding your non-federalized people being afforded VA benefits, a National Guardsman that has never been deployed outside his state (since IET/AIT) that serves 6 years is entitled to federal VA benefits....

It's not a loophole my friend, it's the law. I know a guy that served 100 days before being discharged on a failure to adapt... 20 years later he gets an attorney and ends up with VA benefits. I don't know how it's possible.... but it is.

I have a few former active-duty friends that think it's unfair I get the same Home Depot discount as they do. For some reason serving 4 years on active duty makes them feel entitled to more perks than the reservists. I get it; they embraced a whole lot more suck for a whole lot longer. In any branch of service in any era, unless you died there's always someone that served more, or sacrificed more. Don't feel slighted because someone that served less than you gets the same perk, just take pride that you were that much better.
If its a calvet loan supported by the state, than there should be no problems as I stated earlier. Either way, that calvet loan is probably subsidized by the feds in some way or the other which is the real irony here.

And so? What is your point on the non deployed NG member? Just because that individual may have never deployed is irrelevant. Speaking of which, please stop using irrelevant associations in these discussion were having. I am having to re-state and remind you of certain facts that I have already gone over.

A 6 year NG reservist =/= being a 6 year state militia member. That NG member was still under full obligation to deploy when and if needed. That individual also graduated basic training alongside fellow reservist/active duty soldiers, and continued training 30+ days a year on Federal standards and dime. This is why a NG who never deployed is entitled to federal benefits, understand? Now, a state militia member is entitled to the same benefits, if they were prior service (honorably.)

By the way. Regarding that person you know who discharged right under 180 days of active service before getting booted for "failing to adapt," did indeed use a loop hole with a help of his lawyer to get his benefits. So, under normal circumstances which he would not be entitled to such benefits...he actually got what he wanted, so that is actually not the LAW. I am not chastising him for failing to adapt, who knows what his situation or reasons were (not that I or anyone here really cares), but hes certainly a dirt bag for playing the system.

EDIT: Lastly, as you said..Not all active duty/reservist soldiers look down on state militia members. In fact, most don't even know who they really are and what they really do. Its a shame because these guys really do a lot, however I think it goes both ways. One side feels they're better because they served a little bit of active time, and the other feels like they are looked down upon and constantly remind people that they are legitimate. As I said, we're all here for the same mission, and there is no reason to prove to anyone what we do is legit.

Last edited by caliprep; 12-12-2017 at 6:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-11-2017, 2:42 AM
caliprep caliprep is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 21
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
Hey... we get $150 per year... so we're paid... ;-)

There are several paid full time state active duty jobs. We are also able to bid many AGR billets. Don't assume that all of us are unpaid, some of us make a very good living as a full-time soldier/airman/sailor.

In my case, an E3-E4 salary with less than 5 years TIS means the military can't pay me enough, so I work for free... (if that makes sense).
Ey its something haha...
When I first transitioned into AR from active, I was getting about 5-6K a year including AT, but I continued to do it, even now with a full time position with a fed agency.

Could I do without it? Absolutely, would it free up some of my personal time, most definitely, but like you, I feel honored to serve, regardless of the slight inconveniences it may cause. Results are worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.