Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Where to find a good verified copy of Windows 7 Ultimate

I bought a install disk of win 7 ultimate back in 2008-2009ish. I have my key paperwork but the install disk was stolen with my recent break in.

Just thought I'd ask here first, as well as searching online. I don't want something from a questionable website, you know. A good clean Microsoft install ISO file with a verifiable hash is what I need.

Thanks Much!
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 AM

i have a legal win 7 that i purchased from an authorized computer repair store and it has the key code. if you can't find anything, let me know and you can have it.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:37 AM

If you have a valid product key (not OEM).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

oem is where youre f'ed. if you actually bought a retail copy, youre ok and can just download the iso from MS.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaandrade3rd View Post
If you have a valid product key (not OEM).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
I do have a legit key, came with the disc. I've only bought XP and then 7, legit when they came out.

When there and enter the key, it comes back with this...

Quote:
Error

We encountered a problem with your request. Please visit Microsoft Support Contact Us page for assistance. Refer to Message Code 715-123130 and Transaction ID b09b693c-0d73-4068-9729-387c844e2dc9.
But my key is 100% legit, been going since 2009 until my laptop was stolen.

I have some offers for another desktop and laptop, but it was mentioned that the hard drives will be wiped. I'm very ok with that. I want to get back to doing my banking and such and want a 100% known good iso or disc or something.

I'm at a loss as too why my key is coming up with the error. Bugs the heck outa me.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
i have a legal win 7 that i purchased from an authorized computer repair store and it has the key code. if you can't find anything, let me know and you can have it.
Do you know if it has the 64bit ultimate install? I'll take you up on the offer if so. Don't even need to keep the disc. I'd mail it back to you. Just create a ISO from is and burn it to a thumb drive. My only thing is, I won't use a non Microsoft legit disc., as I want the peace of mind that there are no roots or other hooks in it. If you know what I mean.

Last edited by Cannon-Arms; 10-10-2017 at 11:56 AM..
Old 10-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYT View Post
oem is where youre f'ed. if you actually bought a retail copy, youre ok and can just download the iso from MS.
It was a retail copy not a oem.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

Get in contact with Microsoft Help. They're actually pretty good.

I've had them reinstall Windows, Office, etc. just because I was switching computers and I extracted my old key to install in the new computer. They're really great, hard working foreigners. lol
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine mil thrill View Post
Wait, this went over my head.

Are you saying it has the key and all?

If I can't get a clean legit iso or disc to use my key, I'll take you up on that offer..

Just give me a day or three searching and see if I can get the install disc.

Otherwise, Thanks greatly!!!!!
Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
Get in contact with Microsoft Help. They're actually pretty good.

I've had them reinstall Windows, Office, etc. just because I was switching computers and I extracted my old key to install in the new computer. They're really great, hard working foreigners. lol
I may do that. I really want another install disc. whether of my own making (burn a ISO) or a factory disc like before. I don't have a permanent replacement computer yet. Just trying to get on top of things.

I just remember back in the day, Microsoft let ya download anything. They didn't care. You needed a key for activation.

Now that I'm thinking this, I need a office 2010 suite too. I have that key as well.

Sighs.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:51 PM

This page will point you to a downloader.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-7112851d1dc2

This link is to an ISO with the correct hash for Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64:

https://archive.org/download/en_wind...d_u_677332.iso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon-Arms View Post
I do have a legit key, came with the disc. I've only bought XP and then 7, legit when they came out.

I have some offers for another desktop and laptop, but it was mentioned that the hard drives will be wiped. I'm very ok with that. I want to get back to doing my banking and such and want a 100% known good iso or disc or something.

I'm at a loss as too why my key is coming up with the error. Bugs the heck outa me.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I may do that. I really want another install disc. whether of my own making (burn a ISO) or a factory disc like before. I don't have a permanent replacement computer yet. Just trying to get on top of things.

I just remember back in the day, Microsoft let ya download anything. They didn't care. You needed a key for activation.

Now that I'm thinking this, I need a office 2010 suite too. I have that key as well.

Sighs.
Yeah, you can just go to the microsoft site, and start chatting with the help. You don't need to burn an ISO.

Show them that you have all the valid keys you need, and you are switching computers. You may have to prod them a little bit by insisting that you want to bring your old programs to your new computer. Then they take over your computer and install everything themselves.

Some dude in India slaves away at your computer to install Windows/Office while you go to the beach. I was amazed at how little used this service is (given that there was like zero wait time in Microsoft chat)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:56 PM

You can get office 2010 any where. Just need the key to make it valid. I will look around for a copy of windows 7 pro with key. I am sure I have a few that have never been used. And yes they are legit real deal Microsoft product.
Old 10-10-2017, 1:30 PM

Quote:
I bought a install disk of win 7 ultimate back in 2008-2009ish. I have my key paperwork but the install disk was stolen with my recent break in.

Just thought I'd ask here first, as well as searching online. I don't want something from a questionable website, you know. A good clean Microsoft install ISO file with a verifiable hash is what I need.

Thanks Much!

I have a legal copy of Win7 Pro with a legit license key. It's yours if you want it. It's 32 bit, SP1. I'm in the High Desert as well.
Old 10-10-2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:

You can get legit win7 off E-bay. They usually have at least 50 copies on any given day.
Old 10-10-2017, 6:55 PM

Except for critical security updates, Win7 hasn't been supported by microsoft since 2015. It wasn't a great operating system, to say the least. I think 10 has been the best one so far, and reinstalling doesnt require a key or anything because it's tied to your hardware ID. As soon as you go online, it's registered. And every computer sold comes with win10, there's no need for piracy or futzing around with isos anymore.
Old 10-10-2017, 7:18 PM

Win 10 if you want relentless tracking. Else Win 7 64 bit is the best MSFT OS.
Old 10-11-2017, 7:48 AM

Well, I called the shop where I bought all the software in 2009. Here's what I found out. Yes, they're still in business but new owner for the last 5 years. The old owner had a "MSDN" account with Microsoft and was selling those. I'm not sure exactly what that is, I figured you guys would know more.
But the new guy said that's why my key won't get me a new copy of Win7 from Microsoft, because they're not supporting it anymore, only Win10 now.

Looks like I may be hitting up the offers put forth here.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Grey market is best. Use a key from hardware that has been decomissioned, or people sell keys and disks from machines they are running a corp. lic on now, so the code was never used.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

BTW, AN OEM WILL WORK, IF YOU HAVE THE MATCHING KEY4DISC YOU HAVE, W/ANY HARDWARE, I HAVE FOUND... JUST HAVE TO PLUG THE KEY.

Last edited by the86d; 10-11-2017 at 11:17 AM..
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonreg_89323423 View Post
Except for critical security updates, Win7 hasn't been supported by microsoft since 2015. It wasn't a great operating system, to say the least. I think 10 has been the best one so far, and reinstalling doesnt require a key or anything because it's tied to your hardware ID. As soon as you go online, it's registered. And every computer sold comes with win10, there's no need for piracy or futzing around with isos anymore.
The thing is that once you have Windows 7 or 8, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free if you are disabled.
Old 10-11-2017, 4:33 PM

You get that error message because you are trying to install the OS on a computer different from the one you initially registered windows on. During registration microsoft does a scan of your hardware and keeps a record of it. Your new computer had different harware so it kicks out that error message. I've had that happen after changing a video card and network card on a computer.

Just contact micorsoft support and tell them you have a new computer and the old one is dead. They will reset the key for you.
Old 10-11-2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal P320 View Post
....Then they take over your computer and install everything themselves....
No thank you! That's why a lot of people refuse to "upgrade" to Win 10!
Old 10-11-2017, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

I can help if you still need the .iso, clean copy here.

Last edited by AreWeFree; 10-11-2017 at 6:38 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 8:01 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonreg_89323423 View Post
Except for critical security updates, Win7 hasn't been supported by microsoft since 2015. It wasn't a great operating system, to say the least.
Windows 7 still has more market share, far and away, than any other desktop OS from MS, Apple, or Linux flavors. It is still installed on 47% of machines, and Win 10 only 29%. https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0

It was, and still is, the best desktop O/S to come out of Redmond in a long time, and since. Windows 7 is still the primary desktop operating system in the enterprise. And most OEM versions of Win 10 still include downgrade rights to run Win 7. Win 7 isn't dead, not even close.

And Win 10 is a complete, total joke.

Win 7 extended support runs through 2020. That means paid support is available, security updates available, and nonsecurity updates are also available with extended hotfix support for business class operating system editions. And if Microsoft extends the Win 7 lifecycle beyond what is currently published, it wouldn't be a surprise nor would it be the first time.

To the OP, there are more channels for keys than just retail and OEM. There is also volume licensing. The key you have must match the distribution channel your ISO comes from.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 10-11-2017 at 8:18 PM..
Old 10-12-2017, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

"I have my key paperwork"

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...load_tool.html

It appears that you need a Win 7 - 10 PC to download the tool , it gives you access to the ISO file
of which you burn to disk or USB stick

<Download: Windows ISO Downloader.exe
Version: 5.21
Release Date: 20 September 2017
Requirements: Windows 7 or newer, .NET Framework 4.6.2 or newer, Internet Explorer 8 or newer. >
Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 PM

If all else fails, check out the anandtech.com forums.
But, DL .iso from Microshat, etc should work.
Old 10-14-2017, 7:53 AM

This method might work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQc8tCdUa2g