Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Where can I take my 5.56 AR pistol near San Jose...

... and not get hassled, or at least too badly, by uniformed RSO's?

I'm sure its been asked and answered before but I just spent an hour searching the forums for an answer. The newest post I could see addressing AR pistol ranges around here was from 2010 and there wasn't a lot of love from ranges.

Metcalf, Los Altos, Sunnyvale? I'm talking AR pistol specific love/hate. I really don't care if other patrons stare and whisper, I just don't need a legal discussion with staff.

I just need to get the wife out and get her familiar with it and get her to stop hating its purchase. Once she shoots a gun she hated, she loves it. Right now it's "You spent how much?" After she shoots its it'll be "Lets get another."

Any help making my marriage more harmonious?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

I've spent a LOT of time at Metcalf, and I have to say the only time somone gets hassled is when they deserve it. I have never seen the staff there give anyone a hard time who was following the rules.

YMMV, but go in with a smile stay respectful and follow the rules and I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 AM

Never anything but smiles and respect. Ive been there a few times but just with handguns. I have yet to see an AR pistol out there and old posts showed that there was a little disdain for them.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
I've spent a LOT of time at Metcalf, and I have to say the only time somone gets hassled is when they deserve it. I have never seen the staff there give anyone a hard time who was following the rules.

YMMV, but go in with a smile stay respectful and follow the rules and I doubt you'll have any problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Huh. I guess I'd have to see that to believe it. I know all those guys on a first name basis now, and other than the occasional eye roll because a knucklehead forgot to open his action during a ceasefire I haven't seen anything close to disdain.

I'll ask them next time I'm there. If there's an issue, they'll tell me.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:09 AM

I'm just going off of someone's post. Who knows what kind of a jack wagon the poster was being about his pistol. As you seem to know already, fools create 90% of their problems.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hah true that.

They do answer the phone. If you're really uncomfortable with the idea, give them a call and ask?

Also consider Laguna Seca. Nice nice facility, and the guys there seem pretty laid back too.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 AM

EDIT: Called while you typed, haha.

I had a moment of clarity and remembered that I have a phone. I'm a little disappointed.

ME: "Hello, my name is 'Eric B' I was wondering if AR pistols were permissible at the range?"

Young man on the phone: "Ya, absolutely, as long as you shoot it like a pistol."

Me: "Does that mean no cheek welds"

Young man on the phone: "Correct."

Me: "Thank you." followed by light sobbing.

Oh well, onto the next.

Last edited by Eric B; 10-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: addition
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Ok... does that mean you can't shoot it on the rifle side though? I can understand it being a no go on the pistol side but on the rifle side? Maybe its worth a call back for clarification?
Old 10-31-2012, 1:15 PM

Every time i bring my AR pistol to metcalf i get that from them, to hold it like a hand gun. One of the RO said to me, "would you hold a s&w 500 like that to your face." I had a few comments in my head but i didn't say anything. It's not my range so i don't make the rules. I can think of why they have that rule but none of them make real sense to me. But i still bring it there to shoot because it the closest and they let you hang steel targets at the end which is pretty fun with a AR-pistol. One more comment i think the benches at metcalf suck too but that's just me. Every where else i did not have a problem with my AR-pistols. like, Sunnyvale rod and gun club is nice one of my favorite place to shot if you can get a spot to shoot. I never to been to los altos one, been wanting to check it out. Been to Livermore gun club is nice, you don't have to move bays to go from 7ys to 100yd. I would have to say my next favorite one would be chabot shooting range it nice and it has a 200yd range open on Friday. Well those are the close outdoor ranges i go to.

Last edited by Gts408; 10-31-2012 at 1:19 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 2:46 PM

Default Ar pistol

I shoot at Los Altos alot and constantly see AR pistols on many ranges. I am not sure why you would not be able to shoot it there. They seem more concerned with safety, but I have seen quite a few.

I have also seen an AR pistol at Sunnyvale.

I like both places. It seems if you are safe handling your weapon, both ranges should be fine.

I would probably call ahead just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
... and not get hassled, or at least too badly, by uniformed RSO's?

I'm sure its been asked and answered before but I just spent an hour searching the forums for an answer. The newest post I could see addressing AR pistol ranges around here was from 2010 and there wasn't a lot of love from ranges.

Metcalf, Los Altos, Sunnyvale? I'm talking AR pistol specific love/hate. I really don't care if other patrons stare and whisper, I just don't need a legal discussion with staff.

I just need to get the wife out and get her familiar with it and get her to stop hating its purchase. Once she shoots a gun she hated, she loves it. Right now it's "You spent how much?" After she shoots its it'll be "Lets get another."

Any help making my marriage more harmonious?
Old 11-05-2012, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

Probably not as close as you would like, but I've seen AR/AK pistols on the rifle side at Chabot and the RO has never said a word.
Old 11-05-2012, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

I am an intermittent RO at Livermore.I'd want to check it out.Other than that,if you are being safe,I feel you should be left alone.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I shoot at Los Altos alot and constantly see AR pistols on many ranges. I am not sure why you would not be able to shoot it there. They seem more concerned with safety, but I have seen quite a few.

I have also seen an AR pistol at Sunnyvale.

I like both places. It seems if you are safe handling your weapon, both ranges should be fine.

I would probably call ahead just in case
I've shot here with my AR Pistol several times. The first time I had questions with the range master in regard to which lanes to use. He would only let me shoot the 100 yard and nothing else with it. Stating that the pistol was shooting a High Powered round and it wasn't safe to shoot anywhere else but 100 yards (he's the boss, so I listened).

The following week, the range master'(s), after questioning again, both stated that I could only shoot the 50 yard'ers. That was fine with me. I was trying to site in a red dot with the darn thing anyways. 100 yards was just way to far out for this thing. not that it couldn't reach, but really suffered in accuracy. I explained to them about the previous week and that I was only allowed to shoot the 100 yard. They stated to next time ask another range master and to verify with more then one. Think safety first, right?

Since then I had been there several more times at the fifty yard'ers without any questions asked. Btw, the only way I have ever shot this beast is by welding the cheek. Oh!, they would not let me shoot the pistol ranges at all. Understandably so.

I do have a 22LR conversion for it that I would like to try. Since it is not a high powered load, I've been wondering if they'd let me shoot the pistol range in that configuration. Even tin can would be a blast!

Have fun!
--
RDunaway62
Old 11-14-2012, 9:19 AM

Thanks for the posts. I ended up going to the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun. Friendly staff. They only wanted to know what caliber I was shooting and if I needed a spotting scope. When I said 5.56 he said "Lane 2, have fun." Other than the P.A. announcements, I never heard another word from staff. I met a member shooting next to me. Nice guy, even shared his targets with me and offered to let me use his scope.

I'll be back to this range for sure.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:11 AM

Good to hear. I need to check that Sunnyvale range out.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunaway62 View Post
I've shot here with my AR Pistol several times. The first time I had questions with the range master in regard to which lanes to use. He would only let me shoot the 100 yard and nothing else with it. Stating that the pistol was shooting a High Powered round and it wasn't safe to shoot anywhere else but 100 yards (he's the boss, so I listened).

The following week, the range master'(s), after questioning again, both stated that I could only shoot the 50 yard'ers. That was fine with me. I was trying to site in a red dot with the darn thing anyways. 100 yards was just way to far out for this thing. not that it couldn't reach, but really suffered in accuracy. I explained to them about the previous week and that I was only allowed to shoot the 100 yard. They stated to next time ask another range master and to verify with more then one. Think safety first, right?

Since then I had been there several more times at the fifty yard'ers without any questions asked. Btw, the only way I have ever shot this beast is by welding the cheek. Oh!, they would not let me shoot the pistol ranges at all. Understandably so.

I do have a 22LR conversion for it that I would like to try. Since it is not a high powered load, I've been wondering if they'd let me shoot the pistol range in that configuration. Even tin can would be a blast!

Have fun!
--
RDunaway62
This is the range I go to the most. I see AR pistols on the 50 a lot. I'm sure they'd let you use your .22 conversion on the pistol lanes. Oh also .22 on tin can rage = rapid fire. Woohoo.
Old 11-24-2012, 7:26 PM

I've shot both my .223/5.56 & 7.62x39 ARP at Los Altos Rod & Gun without issues. Sighting in & plinking at the 50 yard then moved over to the 40 yard tin can range. No issues whatsoever. As long as you're safe & don't sport attitude, the RO's generally leave you be.