Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up San Mateo

UPDATE (2104 April 19):

It appears SMSO will accept & hold CCW apps w/mere "self-defense" as Good Cause pending finalization of Peruta. See posts 438, 441, 458, and 480.

Best to get an app in ASAP to get in line before the SO gets flooded w/thousands of applicants after the finalization.

Of course, if you have "heightened" good cause (i.e., you have reasons backed by evidence as to why you would be more likely than the average person to be attacked), you should note that and you MAY get issued a CCW regardless of the outcome in Peruta. Be sure to ask them to hold your app pending the finalization of Peruta if you won't qualify even with your elevated good cause.

End of Update.

Anyone who gets denied in San Mateo Co and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification....

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

SM Co has a weird (i.e., illegal) policy of requiring all incorporated cities to accept apps, run the background checks and make a determination re. issuance, and then forward the app file to the sheriff who makes the ultimate decision on whether to issue the CCW or not. You can read about it on the SMPD's website at: http://www.cityofsanmateo.org/index.aspx?NID=665

Application process:
San Mateo County has developed a uniform application form for use throughout the various policing jurisdictions within the county. This application must be completed and submitted, along with the fee for service. The application must include a written explanation regarding the need to carry a concealed weapon.

The application will be reviewed during a personal interview with Support Services' staff at the time of submittal. Following the interview, an appointment for fingerprint submission will be obtained. An additional fee will be collected by the technician to pay for the processing of the print cards by the State of California, as part of the background investigation. This may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.

Upon determination that the issuance of a CCW permit is in order, the Chief of Police will forward a recommendation to issue the permit to the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, along with copies of the application and background investigation. The Sheriff's Office will continue the processing of the permit for issuance, and impose any clearly stated (if any) restrictions and/or condition the Chief has determined regarding the carrying of a concealed weapon. Reasonable limitations and restrictions imposed on an individual's CCW permit affect the time, place, and other restrictions under which the permittee may carry a concealed weapon.

Last edited by Paladin; 11-08-2015 at 6:02 AM..
Old 10-20-2010, 1:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No info at all?????
Old 10-20-2010, 2:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
No info at all?????
We're still working on it. Have patience.

Old 10-20-2010, 3:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
We're still working on it. Have patience.

You guys are doing great. It does not surprise me the local sheriff is dragging his feet.
Old 10-20-2010, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You guys are doing great. It does not surprise me the local sheriff is dragging his feet.
I would say that the person who I'm dealing with is not dragging feet. Wish I can say more, but it's being worked on. Stand by, everyone.
Old 11-05-2010, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

The anticipation is killing me.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-05-2010, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
Just say the word when I should be moving back to SM

Last edited by Python2; 11-12-2010 at 10:46 AM..
Old 11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'm eagerly awaiting some info on this. I shall become a San Mateo sponsor soon.
Old 11-19-2010, 6:03 PM

Thanks for working on this.
Old 11-26-2010, 9:31 PM

any word on getting a ccw in san mateo county? i've had a ccw from out of state for 5 years now, anyone know if that will help me at all
Old 11-26-2010, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Stay close for more news in...

But seriously, soon.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 11-27-2010, 9:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Stay close for more news in...

But seriously, soon.

-Gene
Still nothing that I could find on their website re CCWs (http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/). Went thru it and, IMO, the most likely place they would post it is under the Records Bureau.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 PM

subscribing
Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Still nothing that I could find on their website re CCWs (http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/site/sheriffs/). Went thru it and, IMO, the most likely place they would post it is under the Records Bureau.
I'm not sure they will be the ones posting info...

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-01-2010, 6:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
I'm not sure they will be the ones posting info...
"They," meaning the Records Bureau, or "they" meaning the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, or both?

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my post.

I went thru the Sheriff's Office's website, and could not find anything re. CCWs. From reviewing what the SO had on their different webpages, it seemed to me the most likely place to find info re CCWs in the future will be on the Records Bureau page. But that was just speculation.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
"They," meaning the Records Bureau, or "they" meaning the San Mateo Sheriff's Office, or both?

I went thru the Sheriff's Office's website, and could not find anything re. CCWs. From reviewing what the SO had on their different webpages, it seemed to me the most likely place to find info re CCWs in the future will be on the Records Bureau page. But that was just speculation.
"Professional Standards Bureau" is the department that handles CCW at the Sheriffs office. By my experience some 4-5 years ago. Not sure now.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

What I'm saying is that the information Gene is talking about will almost assuredly NOT show up on their website. You will, however, see it on ours.

-Brandon

Quote:

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What I'm saying is that the information Gene is talking about will almost assuredly NOT show up on their website. You will, however, see it on ours.

-Brandon
In about two weeks???
Old 12-01-2010, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
In about two weeks???
Something like that.

Old 12-01-2010, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
"Professional Standards Bureau" is the department that handles CCW at the Sheriffs office. By my experience some 4-5 years ago. Not sure now.
They probably still do.

If you look at:
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/portal/...visionsLanding

you'll see that they list the Bureau of Professional Standards under the Support Services Division and that, almost at the end of the first paragraph of text, they mention: "evaluation and certification of citizens requesting special permits". I guess that includes CCWs.

The below is the contact info they have listed:

Bureau of Professional Standards
Telephone: (650) 363-4395

Citizen Complaints / Commendations, please call: (650) 363-4844 or (650) 363-4692.
Old 12-01-2010, 2:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

-Brandon
I guess CGF's Sunshine Initiative won't force SOs to make available (or even mention) CCWs upon their website.

BJ/TBJ seems to have abandoned their efforts too (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=334866).

So even if Gray forces SOs to obey statutory law and CGF forces them to accept SD as GC, Joe/Josephine Average visiting SOs' websites will be kept in the dark re. CCWs. Pity.
Old 12-01-2010, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

While we'd prefer they do, it's not required under the relevant PC statutes.

Note that Gray's extraordinary efforts are an intrinsic component of our Initiative, and he is recognized as an Initiative Coordinator also.

After we make the county "shall issue" and "according to law", some PR will likely be useful. However, the primary focus of the Initiative is to "get there", as it were.

Quote:
I guess CGF's Sunshine Initiative won't force SOs to make available (or even mention) CCWs upon their website.

BJ/TBJ seems to have abandoned their efforts too (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=334866).

So even if Gray forces SOs to obey statutory law and CGF forces them to accept SD as GC, Joe/Josephine Average visiting SOs' websites will be kept in the dark re. CCWs. Pity.

Old 12-01-2010, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
While we'd prefer they do, it's not required under the relevant PC statutes.

Note that Gray's extraordinary efforts are an intrinsic component of our Initiative, and he is recognized as an Initiative Coordinator also.

After we make the county "shall issue" and "according to law", some PR will likely be useful. However, the primary focus of the Initiative is to "get there", as it were.
"Virtual Shall Issue" is and should be our top priority. Knocking off the illegal requirements/restrictions is and should be our 2nd priority (making getting those SD GC CCWs easier and quicker to get). Getting the word out should be our 3rd priority.

My CCW Public Service Announcement (PSA) idea, getting one of the Right People on AM Talk Radio shows, interviews/editorials w/local media, and local news reports when a major urban county goes vSI should all help w/getting the word out. The NRA (via email alerts and announcements on their websites) and its members, along w/CGNers, will all help.

Eventually, after a few years of vSI w/o incident, sheriffs will relent and post info on their website.

Thanks for all your & Gray's efforts!
Old 12-01-2010, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
"Virtual Shall Issue" is and should be our top priority. Knocking off the illegal requirements/restrictions is and should be our 2nd priority (making getting those SD GC CCWs easier and quicker to get). Getting the word out should be our 3rd priority.

My CCW Public Service Announcement (PSA) idea, getting one of the Right People on AM Talk Radio shows, interviews/editorials w/local media, and local news reports when a major urban county goes vSI should all help w/getting the word out. The NRA (via email alerts and announcements on their websites) and its members, along w/CGNers, will all help.

Eventually, after a few years of vSI w/o incident, sheriffs will relent and post info on their website.

Thanks for all your & Gray's efforts!
When the time is right, and there is appropriate precaution, we will let people know. I want it to where if someone types in "San Mateo CCW" this forum or the San Mateo carry initiative page comes up on top.

Should I post GnR's Patience again?
Old 12-01-2010, 6:28 PM

I will be applying when you say the time is right. Also I will be donating to the cause next pay period.
Old 12-01-2010, 6:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Should I post GnR's Patience again?
Yes, because GnR is full of win.

Old 12-04-2010, 9:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Are we there yet?

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
Are we there yet?
Would'nt you know that yourself?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Are we there yet?
Guess that answers my question. Why didn't you answer my email? PM inbound
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Are we there yet?
Old 12-14-2010, 3:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Old 12-14-2010, 4:53 PM

I managed to get a look at the PowerPoint the SMCSO uses for CCW classes.

Talk about loaded with non-law, FUD and half-truths. This county is going to be a doozy, I'll wager.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 12-14-2010, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post

Talk about loaded with non-law, FUD and half-truths. This county is going to be a doozy, I'll wager.
Was this at the Coyote Point Range?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post

*cough* I've seen the actual powerpoint used and found it mildly useful and not very FUD. Please email me as I'd love to compare notes to see if yours was "old" or if I missed something when I "reviewed" it.

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-15-2010, 6:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
*cough* I've seen the actual powerpoint used and found it mildly useful and not very FUD. Please email me as I'd love to compare notes to see if yours was "old" or if I missed something when I "reviewed" it.

Let me say this for those who are waiting; anyone who has any sort of good cause beyond simply self defense should feel free to apply and should expect to be successful.

-Gene
After reading through the guidelines i still see stuff like,"gotta go to the local chief first, ect. ect. I think i'll wait till i see some movement. I don't think i have a "good cause" a have a "great need" as to why i need a ccw. My apprehension comes from not knowing if the Sheriff thinks the same way i do!

For the record, my clock was for fun! I will wait till you guys give the actual green light on this. If not i will go to my other residence and get one which is pretty close to shall issue. I don't mind waiting.
Old 12-15-2010, 8:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
After reading through the guidelines i still see stuff like,"gotta go to the local chief first, ect. ect. I think i'll wait till i see some movement. I don't think i have a "good cause" a have a "great need" as to why i need a ccw. My apprehension comes from not knowing if the Sheriff thinks the same way i do!
Ignore that. The sheriff eliminated the "you have to go first to the city pd" stuff months ago.
Old 12-15-2010, 9:41 AM

Quote:

-Gene
Can you elaborate Gene, I am a State Registered Professional in private practice and was denied because I was told (unfortunately not in writing) bad areas (ie:Richmond, Oakland, SF Western Addition) that I sometimes perform my profession is outside San Mateo's jurisdiction. I was shocked of their ignorance of the PC.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python2 View Post
Can you elaborate Gene, I am a State Registered Professional in private practice and was denied because I was told (unfortunately not in writing) bad areas (ie:Richmond, Oakland, SF Western Addition) that I sometimes perform my profession is outside San Mateo's jurisdiction. I was shocked of their ignorance of the PC.
Their ignorance has been cured by a dose of Gray Peterson.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM

Is the million dollar insurance policy requirement from the penal code or fiat deceleration of the Sheriff?