Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-11-2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Dirt View Post
How do I get one of those SCOTUS watches ? ( like it says in the title )

Does it only go to Nine O'Clock...?
It only works once, but on appeal, it usually becomes broken and the smith won't fix it.
Old 11-11-2018, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default SCOTUS watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless View Post
What we do have going for us is that Thomas has served on the court for 26 years. He's had a long run, so it's not like his retirement would be premature.

He’s only 70. I would think he still has a ways to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-11-2018, 9:54 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
He’s only 70. I would think he still has a ways to go.
But not 3 more terms, assuming Trump takes 2020 and we get an unfriendly for 8 years starting in 2024.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2018, 8:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Thomas would have to announce early enough for Trump's replacement to be confirmed before the election.
And even then, holy hell will break out.
Kavanaugh was nominated before a MIDTERM and the dems were going nuts about there "being no rush"... of course, they felt they could take the Senate.
A similar confirmation hearing in the summer of 2019 will be Kavanaugh X1,000 with mud slinging and "late releases of bad news" to push it until after the election.... then it will be Garland all over again.
I think you meant "the summer of 2020" -- the summer before the next presidential election. If so, that would certainly NOT be the time to have 2 SCOTUS justices leave the Court and both having to be replaced. That would cause the Dems to go (more) nuts. Since Thomas can't predict when another justice will "leave", all he can do is choose when he will leave. If 2 justices have to be replaced over a summer, better for it to be next summer, 2019, rather than 2020 before the next election. Thus, I predict Thomas retires next summer.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 11-12-2018 at 9:25 AM..
Old 11-12-2018, 9:30 AM

Don't want to see him go, but yeah, don't want to risk losing the current balance. I assume both he and Alito want to rule on some gun cases before they leave the bench... based on all of their cert dissents I get the impression they are fuming and ready to lay the smack down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I think you meant "the summer of 2020" -- the summer before the next presidential election. If so, that would certainly NOT be the time to have 2 SCOTUS justices leave the Court and both having to be replaced. That would cause the Dems to go (more) nuts. Since Thomas can't predict when another justice will "leave", all he can do is choose when he will leave. If 2 justices have to be replaced over a summer, better for it to be next summer, 2019, rather than 2020 before the next election. Thus, I predict Thomas retires next summer.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Thomas would have to announce early enough for Trump's replacement to be confirmed before the election.
And even then, holy hell will break out.
Kavanaugh was nominated before a MIDTERM and the dems were going nuts about there "being no rush"... of course, they felt they could take the Senate.
A similar confirmation hearing in the summer of 2019 will be Kavanaugh X1,000 with mud slinging and "late releases of bad news" to push it until after the election.... then it will be Garland all over again.

The left doesn't care about consistency... they only draw on the population's short attention span and flat out lie saying "You did it then, it should be done the same way now!"

Honestly, Trump needs to solidify the court with a younger replacement for Thomas, then throw the dems a bone and nominate Garland to replace RBG (while continuing to pack the appellate courts.)

Ya... maybe no on Garland
Thomas is rumored to have his own set of health issues. So if he voluntarily stepping down in 2019 to be replaced by a younger pro 2A judge, this would bolster a conservative SCOTUS viewpoint. (The Dems will still scream bloody murder). As far Galand as an RBG replacement to throw Dems bone, it’s clear the Dems would never be so gracious if they controlled the Senate. Also consider Roberts is still a wild card. He may morph into the old Kennedy swing vote role. I think it best any vacancy be filled by strict constitutionalist jurist.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Ya, you're right.
For some reason I was thinking the election was next year

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
(The Dems will still scream bloody murder).
Good.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Thomas is rumored to have his own set of health issues. So if he voluntarily stepping down in 2019 to be replaced by a younger pro 2A judge, this would bolster a conservative SCOTUS viewpoint. (The Dems will still scream bloody murder). As far Galand as an RBG replacement to throw Dems bone, it’s clear the Dems would never be so gracious if they controlled the Senate. Also consider Roberts is still a wild card. He may morph into the old Kennedy swing vote role. I think it best any vacancy be filled by strict constitutionalist jurist.
Agreed 100%.
We can't bank on Trump winning 2020, so any "strategic" retirements would need to be made within the next 12 months e.g. end of the current session.
Roberts has always scared me. He's always been a pretty solid conservative, but the recent cert denials do not bode well for the future of the SCOTUS defending the 2A.

And I was kidding about Garland. Even if Trump were to nominate Garland, the left would find some kind of problem with him because Trump.

Quote: