Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 10-11-2012, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Anyone have trouble breathing/excersing after a deployment?

Between mid-Feb to mid-Sep I was down range in the sandbox. It wasnt til july/aug that I had trouble breathing/running and such. Now as of mid august I have developed a cough I cant get rid for the life of me and other symptoms are starting to present themselves . I have sleepless nights , little to no ability to smell , persistant cough , constant headaches , shortness of breath and i get easily winded before the first 1/2 mile of any run. My PA gave me an inhaler , which helps but only marginally . Anyone know of anyone going through this post deployment or any friends going through it? Im thinking I might have developed asthma or stage 1 COPD / chronic bronchitis , the reason being i got a 33 on a VO2 test (37 is inferior) and I worked about 300 yrds away from a burnpit and a CRSP Yard 5 of 7 days downrange . A PSTD blimp separated out living area from the burn pit which as you can see was right next to the working area (when not outside the wire) and living area. Pendind a Methacholine test , anyone have any similiar experience or know of anyone?

Sorry for the rant , but its been somewhat of a health concern as of lately
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Might wana look into this. I hope you weren't caught downwind in that shiz.

http://rt.com/news/afghanistan-burn-pit-health-885/

The memo states " Increased risk for COPD" according to this memo in the article on paragraph 4.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 10-11-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 9:03 AM

I'm on my 5th deployment, second one to the base listed in the link above. The burn pit is bad here and its constantly going, they burn everything as the article mentions. EVERYTHING, plastic, trash, metals, chemicals, pretty much anything!

After returning home last year I noticed I had way more allergy problems than I've ever had before. I never required allergy meds to make it through the day. I saw the doc and now need allergy medicine, didnt think I would need it back out here because it was dry climate. Well I was wrong, had to go back to the doc and get some here, seems like every month I get sick here.

To the OP I work out here, being way above sea level in the mountains makes the air thinner. I noticed I couldnt run the same pace/distance as back home but I've been working on it since I've gotten here and improved. Hope it works out for you, good luck.
Old 10-12-2012, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacit Blue View Post
Might wana look into this. I hope you weren't caught downwind in that shiz.

http://rt.com/news/afghanistan-burn-pit-health-885/

The memo states " Increased risk for COPD" according to this memo in the article on paragraph 4.
The fire pit in Bagram was poorly placed, the wind blows all smoke/burning fumes across the base, not off of it...
Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanksbeamen View Post
The fire pit in Bagram was poorly placed, the wind blows all smoke/burning fumes across the base, not off of it...
Yeah. I know it's not unusual, I guess more awareness and attention is being given to the effects of the pits. They did the same thing at " Groom lake" they'd burn aircraft parts, chemical,waste and etc. I think a case was filed in federal court, after a civilian employees spouse filed for a wrongful death suit.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 10-12-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM

Coming off my last "trip", we got a two page letter to go in our medical records specifically due to the burn pits.
Old 10-12-2012, 3:47 PM
Calguns Addict

damn .. so it looks like its not just me. Havent had anything with allergies just yet , however i have been way more prone to insect/mosquito bites than ever before . Could be just the NC weather tho

Stanks other than seeing Doc what else did you do?
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 10-12-2012, 9:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Damn! Sad to see Military has not learned about burning trash after all these years. What Medical Test have they done. Hate to say it could be TB.
Old 10-13-2012, 5:25 AM

Who said the military was burning the trash? In my experience it's usually the locals, we just happen to be nearby.
Old 10-13-2012, 5:34 AM
Veteran Member

I suffer from most of those symptoms as well, my sense of smell is slowly returning, or at least has to a degree, when I was home on leave I couldn't smell all the rotting fish laying on a beach I walked thru even when the gf at the time was complaining that it was unbareable.
Old 10-14-2012, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
damn .. so it looks like its not just me. Havent had anything with allergies just yet , however i have been way more prone to insect/mosquito bites than ever before . Could be just the NC weather tho

Stanks other than seeing Doc what else did you do?
Not just you, I'm sure there are more people who have different experiences and some maybe ok. No telling what long term effects or what else we can do about it. Make sure its documented in your records, like someone else mentioned they may have a letter in your records from wherever you were deployed to.

I made sure to ask the doctor about the effects of the burn pit here before leaving and they couldnt give me an exact answer. They did however include it in everyones records regardless if you asked about it or not. Upon returning home I made sure to mention it to the doc while inprocessing and when I went in to get medicine I told them I thought my allergies may have been a side effect or consequence because of the burn pits here.

Turbomkt- The burn pit is on base so we are the ones burning all materials. I have to go over there ~once a week and make sure classified material is completely burned so no one can recover it. There are multiple autoclaves/incinerators along with a hole in the ground for burning everything. Often times at night if they are burning you can see the orange glow/flames half way across the base(I work on the flight line).
Old 10-14-2012, 8:30 AM

Ouch. We only used the incinerators for our own stuff. It was the locals burning the ansty stuff. Sorry about that.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Burn put was Army operated. Second of all I've taken a couple of tests and well.... I've got a bad case of asthma , more testing to follow about headaches/sleep difficulty.
Old 10-28-2012, 1:07 PM

There was a navy times article about
Bronchoitis not bronchitis different that could only be detected with a lung biopsy
I was exposed to burning trash that came from the dump while stationed in Greece I've never asked about the the test myself