Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-02-2012, 6:47 PM

Default Proposal for permanent shooting restrictions, Stanislaus Natl Forest

Previously, the Forest Service had issued a Forest Order for a two year period to restrict shooting times at the Candy Rock Quarry in the Calaveras Ranger District. Now, they are looking for public comments, within 45 days of February 28, 2012, and are in the process of moving towards a Permanent Forest Order regarding target shooting at this particular site. It appears the NRA Range Technical Team had been previously consulted on this situation. Does this warrant further action, or does anyone know if CRPA, NRA or Calguns is currently involved in the process?

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/fs-usda-po...?project=37952

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

You're off the edge of the map, mate. Here there be monsters. -Captain Barbossa
Old 03-02-2012, 7:17 PM

IMPORTANT: Tell all your friends and neighbors to submit comments and go to the Public Comment meeting and petition to keep the Site open. I imagine most everyone shoots up your way. Otherwise those cry baby's will probably succeed in shutting the place down.

How does Susan Skalski feel about 2A, etc.?

Sounds like these are the same types of people that buy a brand new high dollar home next to a 100 year old dairy operation, complain about the smell, and want the dairy shut down.

Hopefully it will be a No Action decision.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Send them an e-mail

Send them an e-mail to: comments-pacificsouthwest-stanislaus@fs.fed.us

With Subject: Candy Rock

Believe it needs to be an attachment to the e-mail.

Mine read as below and I am sure all will not agree with but your input would be valuable.

March 3, 2012

Susan Skalski
Forest Supervisor
Stanislaus National Forest
Supervisors Office
19777 Greenley Road
Sonora, CA 95370

Re: Proposal to set permanent limitations on recreational target shooting at Candy Rock Quarry near Hathaway Pines, California

Dear Supervisor Skalski,

I am writing to express my concern that the Forest Service may impose a complete ban on recreational target shooting at the Candy Rock Quarry. Due to the fact that this location has been used for this legitimate purpose for over half a century and that there has not been noted illegal activity or public endangerment I cannot see how noise complaints from people who acquired property and who should have had full knowledge of this activity prior to such purchase should have their concerns outweigh the recreational activities others enjoy. Certain of the local property owners appear to have a potential political bias against the right to keep and bear arms rather than strictly a noise complaint issue. However if their only concern was noise, such an argument would be similar to a person who builds a home next to an agricultural area and later complains of dust even though the farming activity was know, long standing and compliant with restrictions and zoning regulations.

I believe the Proposed Action to issue a permanent Forest Order with the stated restrictions as published in Federal Register Vol. 77, No. 39 dated February 28, 2012 can and should be acceptable to all parties however I am strongly against the second Possible Alternative and a No Shooting order and such would be wholly unacceptable.

I have property in Dorrington California and have shot recreationally at Candy Rock Quarry as well as in other areas within the Stanislaus and other National Forests.

Thank you for your consideration of this input and your balancing of the rights of all users of our National Forrest.

Sincerely,
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM

A Report last year on this site

Candy Rock Quarry**Target Shooting Neutral Assessment.
Completed for the Calaveras Ranger District,**Stanislaus National Forest

http://thepinetree.net/files/CRQ_Fin...-(2-23-11).pdf
Old 03-03-2012, 1:40 PM

Thanks, KGenter, I will do a similar email and encourage friends & family in the area to do the same. If the public meeting happens before mid-April, I know I will not be able to attend as I am in the middle of busy season at work and my days and nights are spoken for.

If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable – what then? -George Orwell, 1984

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell

Old 03-03-2012, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geologist View Post
IMPORTANT: Tell all your friends and neighbors to submit comments and go to the Public Comment meeting and petition to keep the Site open. I imagine most everyone shoots up your way. Otherwise those cry baby's will probably succeed in shutting the place down.

How does Susan Skalski feel about 2A, etc.?

Sounds like these are the same types of people that buy a brand new high dollar home next to a 100 year old dairy operation, complain about the smell, and want the dairy shut down.

Hopefully it will be a No Action decision.
I have a feeling that because complaints continued even after the restricted shooting hours were posted, a No Action decision is not likely. Either a restriction of specific hours will continue, or it will bump up to the next level of a complete ban for that specific area of the Forest.

Old 03-08-2012, 2:59 AM

Wow... this is very disappointing. It would sure be nice to keep this site available for everyone's use.

I grew up in Calaveras Cty, further up the highway from Candy Rock, but used to go shooting there with my friends when we were in high school (and after).

As it is, there is much more shooting going on up near Camp Connell now then there used to be, albeit in areas which are just ad hoc sites. Closing down or restricting the Candy Rock site will only push local shooters out into the forest to these random sites.
Old 03-08-2012, 3:10 PM

NRA-ILA just issued an alert on this: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/st...spx?s=&st=&ps=

Old 03-08-2012, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Yep it was in our local paper and I posted it last month.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=542259

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 03-09-2012, 4:19 AM

Letter to USFS being drafted... to be sent this week! Would hate to lose this site!
Old 03-09-2012, 3:00 PM

What ever happened to the smack down that was supposed to be imposed on the USFS?

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 03-13-2012, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Default UPDATE: Meeting March 19 from 5-8pm

I cross posted this in my thread in Shoots, Meets and Range Stories

Link

Quote:
Meeting About Target Shooting In Forest

White Pines, CA -- Stanislaus National Forest officials will host an open house next week to talk about a controversial plan to limit target shooting at the Candy Rock Quarry.

Candy Rock Quarry, in the Calaveras Ranger District, is located in an area off Highway 4. Some residential neighbors have complained about the shooting over the past several years. Target shooting at the quarry has been taking place since the 1960's and predates many of the housing developments. Complaints have generally centered around safety and noise.

The Forest Service is finalizing a proposal that could result in less access for target shooters at the quarry. The tentative notice states, among other things, hours for target shooting be 10 am to 6 pm Monday-Friday; 10 am to 3 pm on Saturdays; and closed on Sundays. It also proposes to prohibit the use of firearms larger than 0.50 caliber and prohibit trap and skeet shooting. It does provide that the Forest Road 4N73Y be opened to allow year round access instead of just from April 15 to December 15.

The open house will be March 19 from 5-8pm at the Independence Hall on Blagen Road in White Pines.

“In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.”
Publius Cornelius Scipio

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
"I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery"
Count Palatine of Posen
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM

I guess larger than .50 caliber would exclude some black powder guns, like a Brown Bess in .75 caliber.

BTW, found this on Youtube from one of the residents in the area: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCAz0QnS5I

Old 03-16-2012, 4:36 PM

They should be complaining to their realtor. People have been shooting out there since before I was born.
Old 03-16-2012, 5:58 PM

Yesterday, there was an officer-involved shooting in Arnold. These things are becoming more prevalent up here with increased drug use and burglaries. We definitely need to keep practice areas like Candy Rock open.

http://www.thepinetree.net/index.php...w&ANN_id=29408

Old 03-16-2012, 6:10 PM

What's the big deal, we can still shoot in most of the SNFS, can't we? The flatlander's causing all this ruckus better be careful what they wish for, there's some mountain oysters up here that are getting none too happy about bay area transplants and their politics...
Old 03-16-2012, 9:44 PM

Well, it is easily accessed from the main highway, and having a fairly level area with a hillside quarry for a backdrop makes it a natural site for shooting. Yes, one could wander elsewhere in the forest, but then access is more difficult, site control and safety more of an issue, and the shooting area not as likely to be level.