Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 08-09-2018, 6:19 AM

Default Pellet rifle

Looking to get into the sport

I will be shooting at paper mostly 25 yards,

Don't want to spend a lot of cash just in case I do not like it.

I have a budget of 300 to 400

What should I be looking at

Make,model, 177 or 22 will help me out

In northern calif. , Just in case someone has a used one.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2018, 8:24 AM

You can get a great air rifle for well under your budget. You have options of which route you want to take. There are different styles of air rifles and they all have their advantages. You can get a pump air gun, a CO2 air gun, a break action air gun, or when you really want to drop some cash you can get into PCP air rifles. .177 is perfect for plinking. If you want to hunt with it, most would advise .22 or larger.

A pump is a great starter and most are under $100. I still have a pump air gun from when I was 10 years old, it shoots great and I have taken many pigeons with it atop telephone poles (dont tell mike tyson). It is a Crosman 2100 classic (.177), they are still in production and IMO are the best pump gun you can buy. No problem hitting empty beer cans at 25 yards with iron sights.

CO2 canister guns are fun to shoot. Also can be under $100 but some go for a little more. Only advantage over a pump is that you do not have to pump it. Accuracy is a little less than a pump. You end up spending more on these in the long run, mostly on CO2 canisters and you tend to rapid fire these things and go through a ton of pellets which is awesome

Break action is where they start to act like a real firearm. These are single shot with one really strong cocking of the action. You can do a lot of research and comparisons on these as there are several style "powerplants". They can be powered by a very strong metal spring, or a more modern gas piston type system. They can be capable of firing a pellet at super sonic speeds and yes, you can hear the crack. These can be used for taking birds up the the size of a turkey (headshot), rabbits, squirrels, etc.

PCP guns are amazing. Super accurate, powerful, and capable of longer range shooting. The PCP is 'Pre Charged Pneumatic' - they use a very high pressure air tank. Low end on rifle only is around $350 and the super awesome ones go well over $1,000. The catch is that they require the cylinder to be pressurized to above 1500 psi, so you would have to get your own compressor set up or take it to a scuba/dive shop to have it refilled. There is more investment involved with PCP, but they are much more capable
Old 08-09-2018, 8:36 AM

Check out Pyramyd air. They have a huge selection of any and all airguns. They have a series of informative videos called 'airgun academy" that cover everything from basic topics to more complex stuff. Very helpful videos.

https://www.pyramydair.com/

Most online stores carry air rifles and accessories. MidwayUSA, bass pro, cabelas, brownells all carry this stuff. These are not 'firearms' by definition so you can order and have delivered to your door. But I advise going into a shop that has them and actually put your hands on some before you buy

Good luck! They are a lot of fun
Old 08-09-2018, 8:37 AM

Check out Pyramyd air. They have a huge selection of any and all airguns. They have a series of informative videos called 'airgun academy" that cover everything from basic topics to more complex stuff. Very helpful videos.

https://www.pyramydair.com/

Most online stores carry air rifles and accessories. MidwayUSA, bass pro, cabelas, brownells all carry this stuff. These are not 'firearms' by definition so you can order and have delivered to your door. But I advise going into a shop that has them and actually put your hands on some before you buy

Good luck! They are a lot of fun
Old 08-09-2018, 8:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ What he said
Old 08-09-2018, 8:52 AM

In your price range and caliber you can get a nice quality break barrel; a good platform to start with. Take a look at the Benjamins.

Besides Pyramid, there is also Airgun Depot and Airgun Megastore.

One of these stores also sells you four tins of ammo if you buy three. The lowest priced tin being the free one.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Just the rifle for $400? Or all-in?

I don't recommend scopes on the high-power gas piston rifles. The scopes have gotten better & can take the recoil but the receiver can get pretty well damaged. Whatever sighting system you use, keep it light weight on these rifles. I prefer just regular open sights on break barrels. But a more modest power level (say 700 fps on standard .177s) would probably be fine for scopes.

If you'd consider about $400 for just the rifle, like if you already have a decent scope laying around, look at the entry level PCPs. They're amazingly accurate but often heavy for carrying around. But for any serious shooting, they're hard to beat. A couple of pest birds landed in front of my hay bales this morning. Each was a simple pop n flop. Sometimes, I'll even get a little bored because it's so easy to shoot.
Old 08-09-2018, 1:44 PM

A few comments and suggestions:

PCP. You will likely enjoy the heck out of it. Very addictive, especially if you can't get to the rifle range as often as you want. Plus the local varmints won't like your property. From rats to rabbits, not safe!

In your price range, you can still get decent starters, not crap, but you need to be smart in buying. If you're able to wait until November, Black Friday, you can save a lot! Pay attention to the noise level. Smaller calibers tend to be quieter but muzzle velocity is the variable. Ask around and read reviews. "2-low" is very quiet, neighborhood friendly especially if you shoot from an enclosure. If your neighbors are more than 100 feet away, they likely wouldn't hear a "3-moderate" rifle's report.

I liked the comment about high end PCP rifles up to $1,000. My RAW, or any of the FX and Airforce, etc., all championship benchrest air rifles, cost about double that. Then you add scopes, etc. Of course, at that price, you don't need to tweak anything to compete. Between $500 - 1,000, you can get some really great sporting rifles, great for target shooting, pest control and generally having a great time for pennies.

I said PCP. That suggests an air bottle. Maybe a compressor. But to start, you can get by with a hand pump. It won't kill you and with .177 caliber, you'll get upwards of 50-60 shots per fill. A .22 will eat more air. Same with any rifle, the bigger the caliber, the more air it will consume per shot.

Since these air rifles are not firearms, you can mail order to your doorstep. The vendors mentioned in earlier posts are all solid. Add Airguns of Arizona to that list too. Check out https://www.airgunnation.com forums for more info and links.

About scopes... PCP air rifles are friendly to powder-burning rifle scopes. Break action / springers will destroy that kind of scope due to the nature of the shock the springer induces. If you plan on using any optic you already have, do not go with a springer. And to be clear, the current crop of PCP air rifles can definitely appreciate a scope. Single-hole groups at 25 yards with smaller calibers... Golf balls are easy at 100 yards with .25-.30 calibers. At 50 yards, your home will be ground squirrel-free no matter what caliber!

Last edited by Rivers; 08-09-2018 at 1:47 PM..
Old 08-09-2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnbeer View Post
Accuracy [on CO2 guns] is a little less than a pump.
I agree with everything except this bit here.

I like the convenience of CO2, and for that reason I own (or have owned) a lot of CO2 rifles:

QB78
AR2078A
Crosman 1077
Walther Lever Action
Hammerli 850 AirMagnum

All but the 1077 shot tight groups. I think many of these would out-shoot a quality pump like the Seneca Dragonfly, although I don't know from experience--the only pump I owned was the Crosman Pumpmaster 760 I had as a kid.

The 850 is the best of the bunch. I had one for many years, then convinced myself to sell it, then kicked myself for it. A year later I bought another. I have a couple nice PCP rifles. But the 850 is the most "fun" of any rifle I own.

It's $320, by the way. That's right in your range.

Last edited by CornStrategy; 08-09-2018 at 9:36 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 1:05 AM

I would avoid Chinese made rifles and go German , the HW50 is quality made rifle and should last forever if looked after . I would choose .177 for target shooting .
Old 08-11-2018, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKScott View Post
I would avoid Chinese made rifles and go German , the HW50 is quality made rifle and should last forever if looked after . I would choose .177 for target shooting .
Another vote for the HW50S. If you have only one air rifle, that is the one. It is very accurate and "just right" in size and weight. Also, easy to cock.

https://www.airgundepot.com/weihrauch-hw50s.html
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Weihr...ifle/2152#3500

Cheapest source is Krale in Europe. $240 + $30 for 3 day shipping to US: https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/...50-s-9231.html

Don't be seduced or confused by the cheap power crowd. The HW50 is potent and accurate enough to kill rats or rabbits at 50 yards, if you need to.

.177 shoots flatter than .22, and the ammo is cheaper. So, unless you plan to hunt with it, get the .177...
Old 08-11-2018, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

The Benjamin Discovery with a hand pump is a popular and and affordable start into a PCP air rifle. Or the gas spring Ruger sold at most Walmarts is a nice cheap gun that will entertain you for years to come.