Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-09-2018, 7:38 AM

Default What kind of glassing setup you running?

Currently using Nikon 10x42 Trailblazer binocs ($165 I think) and they're good for general hunting, but looking for recommendations for a setup for extended periods of glassing. Not interested in a monocular due to eye and face fatigue (though I understand some guys use an eye patch on the opposite eye).

Mainly looking for a nice pair of binocs with a tripod mount.
Don't need them to be green

thanks.

Last edited by bchains; 08-09-2018 at 7:46 AM..
Old 08-09-2018, 7:58 AM

What's wrong with what you have? How much are you willing to spend?

I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42s that suit me just fine for extended glassing.

A friend of ours who is a birder insists that nothing is better than a pair of Swarovskis, but they run around $2k.
Old 08-09-2018, 8:21 AM

Check the Swift 8.5x44 HFC[#828] roof binocs or the Swift 8.5x44 BWCF porro binocs. Both from Optics Planet.com. Both are the "Audubon" models and both are set-up for tripod use. These are excellent glass. I have/use #828.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:52 AM
CGSSA Associate

I'd jump up to a 12 or 14 binos

I like camera land NY tell them your budget and your needs. One thing to keep in mind most game is out at first & last light.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:16 PM

The more that you spend, the better off you will be, can't glass for extended periods with low to mid quality optics.
Old 08-09-2018, 1:08 PM

2nd Season running a pair of Vortex diamondback 10x42 . Very happy with them so far.
Old 08-09-2018, 1:42 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Zeiss Geovid HD 8x42 for shorter range, Leupold EL 10x42 for wide open country. Much more than 10 power and you'll just be shakey without a stand of some sort, which I prefer not to carry.
Old 08-09-2018, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

I have a set of Swarovski EL 10x42 binoculars that I'm quite happy with.

I've used them for all kinds of stuff, from looking at birds in the backyard to a backpacking Mule Deer hunt in Idaho. Very nice glass, and can be mounted on a tripod (or monopod) with an inexpensive adapter.

A bit spendy, though.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 08-09-2018, 2:12 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I have a pair of Zeiss conquest 8x42. I would have preferred a 10x but I wear glasses and so I need something with at least 17.5 or 18mm of eye relief otherwise I end up smashing my glasses into my face to get a full field of view. Taking my glasses on and off was very frustrating as I would drop them or not be able to see what I was looking at when I took the binos off my face without putting glasses back on.

For down the road (long term) I'm looking into a high powered (15x?) bino or a spotting scope for wide open terrain and glassing across large bowls. As of now I'm leaning toward the Razor 11x33x50 angled as the weight is less than 2lbs so it's a lot more likely I would carry it in the field for trips when I may need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-09-2018, 2:18 PM

10x is hard enough to hold still without tripod. With tripod they'd be fine.

I was not impressed with Vortex when I checked them out. Most models had very sloppy focus knobs with lots of play in them. I ended up going with Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. Very, very nice and frankly, all the glass you'll ever need. Even the BX-2's are excellent.

Shop around online for the best price. The BX-4 8x42 MSRP is 714. I found them for a bit under 400 from an authorized seller.

One thing I really like about the BX-4 is that the diopter adjustment is on the focus knob in the center. Pull it out, adjust, push it in to lock and it stays locked. Most binocs have the diopter adjustment on the right eyepiece and it doesn't lock so it gets out of adjustment. Another thing to pay attention to are the adjustable height eye cups. Many are too sensitive to pressure and as soon as you put the binoc to your face, they push in. Leupold's stay put.

I bought the BX-2 as a gift for a friend. They're really, really nice as well.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 08-09-2018, 2:34 PM

Glass is the one area you do not want to skimp on. Buy the best you can afford - greatest outdoor advice I ever got.

I was mule deer hunting some burns in AZ. We were looking over a basin from first light. Didn't see anything. My guide shows up, brings out a tripod mounted Swaro 15x56. Proceeds to see 6 bucks in around 5 minutes. We just didn't pick them up with leica 10s.

FedEx delivered my 15s two days later. They came with a factory tripod adapter too. When you figure how many chances you are in the field in your whole life, just not worth missing your trophy by handicapping yourself with cheap optics.

Here's the setup the next year. Glassing beats walkin at my age

Last edited by blaser; 08-09-2018 at 8:02 PM..
Old 08-09-2018, 3:34 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

...not sure why I typed Leopold EL up there. I meant Swarovski, can't edit on phome.
Old 08-09-2018, 4:56 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Swaro ST-80, 15x56 and 10x42.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Steiner 10x42 Predators
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 08-09-2018, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
The more that you spend, the better off you will be, can't glass for extended periods with low to mid quality optics.
Yes, but Leicas give me a headache. There is something to be said for long through a few different pair.
Old 08-09-2018, 7:55 PM

Buy a pair of EL Swarovski, then a BTX Swarovski spotting scope.
As for a tripod of you have enough left in your budget get the Really Right Stuff SOAR so you can use your BTX spotter and as a rest for your rifle.

If I'm not using a set of EL binos I like my 8x30 SLC binos fromn Swarovski.

You never skimp on glass

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
Old 08-09-2018, 9:22 PM

I’ve been using Nikon Monarch 8x42’s for the last few years. In January, I picked up a Bushnell Elite 15x45x60 spotting scope ($175) when Wild Sports went out of business. My kid started hunting with me this year, and we just picked up a pair of Nikon Monarch3 10x42’s ($189). Not expensive, but the glass has been good for my current budget. Swaro’s someday!
Old 08-09-2018, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Leica 8-12x42s are what I primarily use.

For cheap but clear glass, Kruger Optical Backcountry’s are hard to beat. They have a lifetime warranty, the glass is almost as good as Leica and Swarovski, and they only cost around $250 bucks. I have 2 pair, 1 that stays in the truck permanently.
Old 08-10-2018, 5:37 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I have both the Leica Geovid HD and the Swarovski EL and use them both more than 99% of people use binos.

Whichever is on sale at the moment you’re ready to buy is the one to get. They’re both phenomenal.

But if I was to do it again now, I’d got with Swarovski EL with built in rangefinder. The Leica doesn’t put rangefinders in their top end model.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Glass is the one area you do not want to skimp on. Buy the best you can afford - greatest outdoor advice I ever got.

I was mule deer hunting some burns in AZ. We were looking over a basin from first light. Didn't see anything. My guide shows up, brings out a tripod mounted Swaro 15x56. Proceeds to see 6 bucks in around 5 minutes. We just didn't pick them up with leica 10s.

FedEx delivered my 15s two days later. They came with a factory tripod adapter too. When you figure how many chances you are in the field in your whole life, just not worth missing your trophy by handicapping yourself with cheap optics.

Here's the setup the next year. Glassing beats walkin at my age

It appears you were so engrossed in your glassing that you missed the goat staring at you from just over the rock.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 08-10-2018, 10:00 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

FWIW I just found out that Zen Ray went out of business earlier this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09 AM

Whatever you end up with (I'm partial to Vortex and Swarovski) make sure you get a good tripod too.

My buddy runs a vortex razor spotter on a $30 tripod and it's kind of a why bother situation. Best glass in the world doesn't matter if it's shaky due to a crap tripod!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM

How about image stabilized binoculars from Canon? 12x IS is quite sharp and light weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 1:13 PM

Leica 10x42 Geovid HD-R 40049's. Great for hunting and work. I've used them to ID aquatic weeds underwater at 5 yards, or see antlers and get range data at 400. Good glass, fast, accurate rangefinder for what it is.
Old 08-10-2018, 1:15 PM

Save up your Cabela's gift cards, get a C's credit card and wait for a Cabela's Club 10% off day, with 7-10% back from Active Junk. I think mine were about $1400 OTD before C's started charging tax.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

If you want to glass on a tripod with bino's, you need something very good. We use my buddies Swaro 15's and they are incredible. If you cannot afford those, maybe some of the higher end Vortex. I have read good things about the Razor HD and Kaibab HD. I dig using the binos over a spotter. Just easier to set up and use and faster to find game.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:42 PM

I use Leupold 10x50 low light binos, excellent at sun up sun down and great during the the day
Old 08-10-2018, 9:46 PM

Swarovski SLC 10x42. Probably will upgrade to the 12x next year. If you don’t like a spotting scope then get a pair of 15x binoculars. You will still be giving up some reach compared to a spotting scope but they are great especially in mid range open territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk