Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2018, 3:31 AM

Default Moving to CA - AR Pistol question

Long time lurker, first time poster here, looking for hopefully a definitive answer. I have called 7-8 gun shops, along with 3 different CA firearm attorneys, and yet to get any resolution.

I am a California resident and just moved back here, several months ahead of my wife, who is active duty and stationed back East. She is not, and has never been a CA resident. It is our understanding that she can bring back off roster handguns, so long that she fills out a new resident form with the CA DOJ and discloses every gun she brings.

The one gun I am concerned about is her DD V7 Pistol. It was sold as a pistol from Daniel Defense, and purchased stock from factory.

Is she allowed to bring this gun back with her as long as we install a magazine lock, pinned/welded flash suppressor, and obviously only 10rd magazines? I’m assuming she cannot take any larger magazines with her when she moves back to CA?

Thank you all very much in advance. This has been a headache, I have gotten 3-4 different answers from the gun shops and attorneys and I’m losing my
mind.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I assume she is going to become a California resident when she comes? If so, yes, a resident of another state moving to CA can bring off roster guns with them into the state. She will have to fill out the "New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership." I don't know the answer if she is not planning on becoming a California resident and just here "on orders." For the DD pistol, just install a mag lock that requires the opening of the action to remove the magazine such as the ARmaglock. This is your only option otherwise it is an Assault weapon. Yes, you can only use 10 round magazines in a fixed mag gun. Leave all your over 10 round mags out of state, you cannot import them. At this point, since it is no longer a detachable mag gun, you can keep the threaded barrel and flash suppressor, no pinning/welding needed. Also, remove any forward vertical grip, that would make it an assault weapon as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdprl View Post
The one gun I am concerned about is her DD V7 Pistol. It was sold as a pistol from Daniel Defense, and purchased stock from factory.

Is she allowed to bring this gun back with her as long as we install a magazine lock, pinned/welded flash suppressor, and obviously only 10rd magazines? Iím assuming she cannot take any larger magazines with her when she moves back to CA?
No problem. No need to P&W the flash suppressor. P&W flash suppressor is only legally important to make a rifle barrel 16" or longer, so it is not a short barreled rifle. This is a pistol, so the barrel should be shorter than 16 inches (in fact, it won't be a pistol under California law if it is longer than 15.99 inches.)
Old 07-21-2018, 12:55 AM

Thank you both so much for the response, that is incredible news. To answer your question, yes, my wife is retiring after 22 years and will become a CA resident upon moving to CA next month.

She will be flying out here with it. So I plan to have her separate the upper from the lower, and have the case locked and checked baggage for the flight. Upon arrival, I will have a maglock ready and install right away. Is there any reason she would need to have the mag lock installed prior to flying out here? If so, I will bug her to install it herself while out there.

Thank you both again for the information. I’ve been going nuts trying to get a solid answer to this.
Old 07-21-2018, 3:53 AM

I would suggest that she install the mag lock prior to flying in with it. If for some reason there is an issue at the airport and cops are asked to look at it, better to already have it in legal configuration. If that's too hard you could probably use a fixed mag like the Franklin armory DFM.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Thank you both so much for the response, that is incredible news. To answer your question, yes, my wife is retiring after 22 years and will become a CA resident upon moving to CA next month.

She will be flying out here with it. So I plan to have her separate the upper from the lower, and have the case locked and checked baggage for the flight. Upon arrival, I will have a maglock ready and install right away. Is there any reason she would need to have the mag lock installed prior to flying out here? If so, I will bug her to install it herself while out there.

Thank you both again for the information. Iíve been going nuts trying to get a solid answer to this.

This is probably overkill, but there are some who think that attaching a semi-auto pistol upper to a lower violates the unsafe handgun law (whereas there is no argument that a maglocked AR Pistol can't be brought in by a new resident, as long as it is reported to the state). In the case of a weapon that has been assembled and then disassembled and is now being reassembled, I think it's patently ridiculous to suggest that constitutes manufacturing an unsafe handgun, but others disagree I think. If you want to be extra safe, maglock it out of state (it's not very difficult) and bring it in/register it as a fully assembled semi-auto pistol.
Old 07-21-2018, 8:37 PM

Thank you all! I will definitely have her install the Maglock before the move! Truly appreciate all of the advice!
Old 07-21-2018, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Don't bother. A gun is a gun to the TSA. In fact you might make it harder with it in pieces. Remember it has to be in a locked case, typicaly with handguns you put them in a locked case that is then put in a suitcase. With the size of an AR pistol, your either going to need a full size rifle case like a Pelican or perhaps a locking case just big enough for the AR pistol and a suitcase big enough to fit it. Have her install the AR maglock BEFORE THE GUN ENTERS CALIFORNIA! Otherwise your breaking the law. If she can work an allen wrench its no problem. The Franklin DFM mag is another option, but much harder to install, you need to drive a roll pin out to remove and replace the bolt stop.

Quote:

Thank you both again for the information. Iíve been going nuts trying to get a solid answer to this.