Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 05-01-2013, 5:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default writing zero's to a windows C: drive

Looking for a bootable that will write zero's (multiple passes). Need to "init" several windows machines.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-01-2013, 5:56 PM

Darik's Boot And Nuke
Old 05-01-2013, 7:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thank You
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-01-2013, 7:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use Spinrite at work, but in the past the Ultimate Boot CD has worked well, it's free and has several disk-wiping utilities.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Old 05-09-2013, 1:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/windo...rd-drives.html

Or you can just encrypt the drive from the start and not have to worry about it.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-09-2013, 3:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Looking for a bootable that will write zero's (multiple passes). Need to "init" several windows machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbarnie View Post
Multiple pass wipes are useless, a complete waste of your valuable time, and just as effective as a drive zeroing.
NO data has EVER been recovered that has been overwritten (aside from maybe bad sectors marked by smart, but if anyone knows a way to zero bad sectors marked by smart, I would live to read how).

I just boot to Slackware's first CD, or DVD, and some-seconds later (Slackware has one of the fastest boots to a cli of most distros, and no GUI boot/lag time for zeroing drives) it's done booting and do a:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda
for the 1st drive detected...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
for the second...

If you have to do a bunch, just plug them all into a machinga and do a bunch at the same time:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda &
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb &
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc &
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd &
clear

THEN you get a clean screen that only shows status of when they are done, and once you get all 4 you are done with all of them.

If you have multiple drives plugged in of different sizes and unsure which one is which:
fdisk -l

If you have multiple drives plugged in, makes sure you know which is which if you need to keep any data, as Windows has been known to swap drive letters if you plugged drives in later. Slackware is usually pretty good at making the 1st drive detected the lowest letter (i.e. /dev/sda). When in doubt, just unplug any drives you wish to keep data on before attempting.

Last edited by the86d; 05-09-2013 at 3:49 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

We use a drive shredding service when hardware comes back to us due to customer upgrading to newer products. These guys are not bad:
http://www.esolutionsusa.com/hard-drive-destruction.php

$7.50 per drive, not bad at all I think.
Old 05-09-2013, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Multiple pass wipes are useless, a complete waste of your valuable time, and just as effective as a drive zeroing.
NO data has EVER been recovered that has been overwritten (aside from maybe bad sectors marked by smart, but if anyone knows a way to zero bad sectors marked by smart, I would live to read how).
So I take it you're an NSA spook since you just know for sure that no data has EVER been recovered.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 05-09-2013, 8:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
So I take it you're an NSA spook since you just know for sure that no data has EVER been recovered.
There's been plenty of research on this topic. A simple Google search will yield the results.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-09-2013, 8:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
There's been plenty of research on this topic. A simple Google search will yield the results.
If you say so. Data may not be easily recoverable but I'll stick with 3 pass until DOD blesses off one-pass. Now if you'd said that one-pass is probably good enough for the average joe you'd have made sense, but such definitive statements as no data has ever been recovered sound silly on their face. I would never deal with a bank or financial services company that did not use at least 3 passes or better yet physically destroy the platters.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 05-09-2013 at 8:36 AM..
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
If you say so. Data may not be easily recoverable but I'll stick with 3 pass until DOD blesses off one-pass. Now if you'd said that one-pass is probably good enough for the average joe you'd have made sense, but such definitive statements as no data has ever been recovered sound silly on their face. I would never deal with a bank or financial services company that did not use at least 3 passes or better yet physically destroy the platters.
Ask any data recovery firm and they will tell you they cannot recover data that has been overwritten. The DoD standard is outdated, it was written back when it was possible to recover data that had been overwritten. Hard drives have changed quite a bit over the years.

EDIT: And if you're going by DoD standards you better shred the drives and incinerate them after you're done with your multiple pass wipe.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by JDay; 05-09-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-09-2013, 3:58 PM
CGSSA Associate

awwww man this thread really makes me happy i got out of hardware
Old 05-09-2013, 6:59 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Ask any data recovery firm and they will tell you they cannot recover data that has been overwritten. The DoD standard is outdated, it was written back when it was possible to recover data that had been overwritten. Hard drives have changed quite a bit over the years.
We do that and he's right. Never going to recover it. Not even with a electron microscope. The narrowing of the tracks and the precision eliminated the 'wobble' that allowed us to do that in the past. One pass and it's gone.

Maybe on a 520MB drive from 1994, but not many of those left.

The title is....."United States Marine".