Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Default I just put a CZ452 in jail

As of yesterday at 1:03pm. I put a CZ452 in jail and I don't think I could be any more excited. After getting rid of that complete POS 10/22. I figured I'd spend twice as much and get a better .22.
I want to get my g/f into shooting. She wasn't having it with any of my .40's or 380. I also wanted a rifle that I can could hand down to the kid when she's of age (she's only 18 months).
A few questions. And please chime in if you have one of these rifles. I'm going to leave it stock and shoot it that way for a bit. You know, get acclimated to each other. I would like to throw a scope on it at some point. Any opinions on scopes? I'm not shy to spend $200 if it's pretty much worth it. I'll use it for paper shooting, rabbit, stray cats that crap in my garden, moles, etc.
What lead to this purchase is I have next to zero experience with rifles as an adult (32yr old). I figured it's a inexpensive shoe in. Pistols are starting to get boring. Everything i read and every person I've talked to have stated that it's the best outa the box shooting .22 with very little mods needed.
If this rifle is to be modified to be "better" what am I looking at? I didn't get the 455 b/c apparently it's been cheaped out on. plastic where metal should be. Cheap trigger guard. and the creep in the trigger seems a bit much.
Please bless me with your knowledge and experiences. Thanks much.
Old 03-06-2013, 5:42 PM

Put a scope on and shoot. I have a 452 varmint with 4-16x44 Redfield scope and it works great for me no mods.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:02 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
As of yesterday at 1:03pm. I put a CZ452 in jail and I don't think I could be any more excited. After getting rid of that complete POS 10/22. I figured I'd spend twice as much and get a better .22.
I want to get my g/f into shooting. She wasn't having it with any of my .40's or 380. I also wanted a rifle that I can could hand down to the kid when she's of age (she's only 18 months).
A few questions. And please chime in if you have one of these rifles. I'm going to leave it stock and shoot it that way for a bit. You know, get acclimated to each other. I would like to throw a scope on it at some point. Any opinions on scopes? I'm not shy to spend $200 if it's pretty much worth it. I'll use it for paper shooting, rabbit, stray cats that crap in my garden, moles, etc.
What lead to this purchase is I have next to zero experience with rifles as an adult (32yr old). I figured it's a inexpensive shoe in. Pistols are starting to get boring. Everything i read and every person I've talked to have stated that it's the best outa the box shooting .22 with very little mods needed.
If this rifle is to be modified to be "better" what am I looking at? I didn't get the 455 b/c apparently it's been cheaped out on. plastic where metal should be. Cheap trigger guard. and the creep in the trigger seems a bit much.
Please bless me with your knowledge and experiences. Thanks much.
My CZ UltraLux loves Wolf Match Target or SK Std+ ammo as does most every other CZ owner that I know of. For a scope in your price range I would recommend the Weaver 40/44 6.5-20X44MM AO scope (around $200 shipped). If you want to spend less then the Mueller APV 4.5-14X40MM AO (JoeBobOutfitters.com is a good place to purchase for around $130). The Muellers are loved over on rimfirecentral.com. I owned one and really liked it but I am a benchrest shooter and the Plex Reticle was a little thick for my type of target shooting but it is a very clear, crisp scope for the $$$ and held zero fine. Mueller also has a great transferable warranty and excellent customer service.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:10 PM

I bought my 7yr old a 452 scout last year. Trigger is smooth as butter. Well worth the premium over the semi-auto 10/22's or 795's in a bolt gun.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:25 PM

Thanks for the info Izzy. I was reading on the Weaver stuff today. Seems like the products get a ton of love. I'm not shy to spend money as long as it's justifiable.
I have the military trainer model. I'm not super knowledgeable about all the different configurations. But it seems so far this model wasn't really made for scoping. Which is fine. So far Census say to do a trigger job. But I've even yet to shoot it. And I've got to read up on that. Learn the differences of the YoDave kit to the all the nuances of the more expensive kits.
Old 03-06-2013, 8:26 PM

I can't wait to teach my kid to shoot. I've got a few years though.
Old 03-07-2013, 5:23 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Negative View Post
Thanks for the info Izzy. I was reading on the Weaver stuff today. Seems like the products get a ton of love. I'm not shy to spend money as long as it's justifiable.
I have the military trainer model. I'm not super knowledgeable about all the different configurations. But it seems so far this model wasn't really made for scoping. Which is fine. So far Census say to do a trigger job. But I've even yet to shoot it. And I've got to read up on that. Learn the differences of the YoDave kit to the all the nuances of the more expensive kits.
I put the YoDave trigger kit in my CZ. Its almost a "must have". Eliminates all the creep (if there is any) and allows you to adjust the pull weight to your liking. It is a set of bushings (for creep) and set of springs (for pull weight) and is very easy to install. The trainers are great rifles and as you said not really the greatest for scoping although many do with good success. With the "hogback" stock it is set up for iron sight shooting and does very well with the stock sights. For an upgrade for the iron sights you cannot go wrong with the BRNO Target Aperture Sights. I have those on my Ultralux and I can shoot as well with them as any scoped rifle out to 75yds. If you get interested in that upgrade shoot me (pun inteneded) a PM and I'll get you the info on where to get them.

Here's a picture of my UL with the BRNO sights and a Boyds Thumbhole Varmint stock.

Old 03-07-2013, 6:44 AM
Banned

Yo dave trigger kit and weaver 22 scope. No need for fancy ammo the gun will shoot sub half inch with walmart crap ammo.

Old 03-07-2013, 6:53 AM
In Memoriam

You'll love it. That reminds me mine needs to come out and play. -g
Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 AM

+1 on the YoDave trigger kit. Cheap and VERY nice.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM

10/22's are awesome.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Love my tricked out 10-22, but I must say my CZ witht he YoDave trigger is a tack driver...Wolf match is awsome...also go over the rimfirecentral forum...these guys ate and crap 22's

Tony P.
Old 03-07-2013, 6:51 PM

The 10/22 was awesome about 20 years ago. The one I bought a year ago was a POS. I even got 3 others to buy em and they are having similar experiences. Now I know there is a ton of aftermarket support for those guns. Which can make them awesome. But I use the metaphor of a Honda civic and making it go fast. You buy this cheap car, dump a boat load into making it fast when you could have started off with more displacement in the first place.
Nice furniture Izzy! What sights are those?
Old 03-07-2013, 7:11 PM

Such nice rifles....a buddy bought one