Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-07-2017, 12:40 PM

So, I saw yesterday that Sheriff Freitas has announced that he is retiring on August 1st. That means that it will be an open seat with no incumbent running in the next election. We really should be working to find someone to run for Sheriff that is pro-2A. Last time he was re-elected with no competition shortly after all the angst over the Andy Lopez incident. That was a missed opportunity. Know anyone in law enforcement that fits the bill and might be willing to run?
Old 07-15-2017, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naquai View Post
So, I saw yesterday that Sheriff Freitas has announced that he is retiring on August 1st. That means that it will be an open seat with no incumbent running in the next election. We really should be working to find someone to run for Sheriff that is pro-2A. Last time he was re-elected with no competition shortly after all the angst over the Andy Lopez incident. That was a missed opportunity. Know anyone in law enforcement that fits the bill and might be willing to run?
Too bad he hasn't tried liberalizing CCW issuance since he isn't running again. IIRC, that's what the Sacto sheriff did ~7 years ago and his successor hasn't change that policy. Sacto SO now has something like 8,000 to 9,000 outstanding CCWs.

Any word on who's stepping in to complete his term? Aug 1st is just 2 1/2 weeks away.

If you Sonoma folk want things to improve re. CCWs, now's the time to organize and act!

I'd LOVE to see Sonoma go from light red to light green.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-15-2017 at 5:38 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 4:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Freitas said he has recommended the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors appoint Assistant Sheriff Rob Giordano as interim sheriff.

"Rob is absolutely the best person for the job until the public elects a new sheriff next year," Freitas said. "He has committed to not run for sheriff in the upcoming election, so his appointment should have no effect on the people’s vote for the next sheriff. I have complete confidence in Rob, his abilities and his temperament to be the sheriff."

Six candidates, two of them sheriff's office employees, had already announced before Freitas' early retirement announcement that they are interested in running for sheriff in Sonoma County.
(emphasis added)
From: https://patch.com/california/sonomav...ces-retirement
Old 09-02-2017, 6:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Wow. It's been almost 2 months since you posted that and the new interim sheriff is in office and yet not a single post from anyone in Sonoma Co saying they want to organize to try to get a pro-CCW candidate to win in June 2018.

For inspiration, look to SD Co: http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/
Looks like they've got a viable candidate for sheriff: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1340431

The deadline for sheriff's candidates, IIRC, is late Jan or early Feb: just 5 months away.

Quote:
Interim Sheriff Robert Giordano

Interim Sheriff Rob Giordano started his law enforcement career with the Pittsburg Police Department in 1989. In 1996 he was employed as a Deputy Sheriff with the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office working out of the Main Office, Roseland substation and Sonoma Valley substation. He worked 4 years as a domestic violence/sexual assault detective before being promoted to Sergeant in 2003. As a sergeant, Rob worked as a Main Office patrol supervisor, City of Sonoma supervisor, Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Unit supervisor and Violent Crimes Unit supervisor.

In 2006 Rob was promoted to Lieutenant and in that role managed the Investigations Bureau, Internal Affairs Bureau, and later the Personnel Bureau. He was promoted to Captain in 2012 and put in charge of the Field Services Section. In 2014 Rob was promoted to Assistant Sheriff, where he oversees the large and diverse Law Enforcement Division. On August 1, 2017 Rob was promoted to Interim Sheriff when former Sheriff Steve Freitas retired for health reasons.
Old 09-18-2017, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Popping in to say hello. Left Santa Rosa for Vermont in 2013
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
Popping in to say hello. Left Santa Rosa for Vermont in 2013
Best place to pop in to say hello to 707 folk is at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1290727
Old 09-29-2017, 8:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Will the new sheriff be better?

Any information or input for a prefered sheriff of the 4 Sonoma county candidates ?
Are any of them open to firearms community concerns?

i apologize for poor posting technique.
Old 09-29-2017, 9:25 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibis View Post
Any information or input for a prefered sheriff of the 4 Sonoma county candidates ?
Are any of them open to firearms community concerns?

i apologize for poor posting technique.
The election will be a question of how far into the spectrum of authoritarianism would you like to go. They're all too far from the constitutional right to really understand what job they should be campaigning for.

Concealed carry isn't a question for them. That's already been decided. They're bringing in people who will vote for them. People from countries that don't have liberty. Where they've been abused by oppressive government for generations. And this invasion will lead to a build up of political power. Power kept by the politicians using the Sheriff's use of force as their extension. Why would they willingly allow a resistance to that force? Only a constitutionalist would.

I refuse to vote for this. If I voted I would be making this acceptable. Voting for the lessor of evils legitimizes the government that will destroy you some day.

#NotMySheriffElection
Old 09-30-2017, 7:07 AM

The Sonoma GOP is having a forum with the candidates for Sheriff on October 25th. I plan to attend and ask questions. I can report back after, but I would encourage others to attend too.
Old 09-30-2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
The Sonoma GOP is having a forum with the candidates for Sheriff on October 25th. I plan to attend and ask questions. I can report back after, but I would encourage others to attend too.
Time and place?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 PM

Wednesday, October 25th at 7:00 p.m. 1421 Guerneville Rd, Santa Rosa 95403
Old 10-01-2017, 7:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elx144 View Post
The election will be a question of how far into the spectrum of authoritarianism would you like to go. They're all too far from the constitutional right to really understand what job they should be campaigning for.

I refuse to vote for this. If I voted I would be making this acceptable. Voting for the lessor of evils legitimizes the government that will destroy you some day.
Rather than just posting on CGN (where you won't "convert" any Sonoma voters to demand CCWs -- they already agree with that), why not go to the GOP meeting and persuade more Sonoma Co political activists to make CCWs the requirement for their support (time, money and effort supporting sheriff's candidates campaigns), and votes?

I'd guess most CAians -- and even most CA gun owners -- still don't even know they could get CCWs if their elected sheriff wanted. Don't treat those voters as enemies, but as uninformed/misinformed friends.

Quote:
If I were you, I'd practice a 2 min introduction w/question to use at the forum. Ask the Sonoma GOP if slides/Powerpoint will be available for the Q&A.

If so, I'd start by informing the audience that "in 42 out of 50 states, if you are otherwise qualified, you apply and they 'Shall Issue' you a CCW permit" while showing the first graphic below. Then I'd say "in CA, where we are May Issue, each of the 58 sheriffs decide how difficult it is to get a CCW, whether to accept 'self-defense' as sufficient 'Good Cause.' As the graphic illustrates, in most CA counties, sheriffs readily issue CCWs whereas in only 14 counties, sheriffs do not readily issue CCWs. The counties that readily issue vary from rural, like Mendocino and Lake, to mixed, like Solano and Sacramento, to urban, like Orange. Yet none of them have had problems with CCW holders.

"My question for each of you is will you switch Sonoma from rarely issuing to readily issuing CCWs so that we can exercise our 2nd Amendment Right to Bear Arms to defend ourselves, and if not, why not?"

The sheriffs candidates will likely say they have to follow the courts and the courts have not said there is a right to carry or that they must issue for "self-defense." While true, that is a diversion: the courts also have NOT said they CANNOT accept "self-defense" as sufficient Good Cause either. It is up to each county sheriff to decide. If the forum allows you to follow up, be ready for that. If not, have another person behind you ready to follow up with that. Don't let them off of the hook by making it seem like their hands are tied by the courts.

Sonoma folk need to realize if they want CCWs, they will have to fight to get them! You folks in Sonoma Co/"707 Banter" may have to organize your own PAC just like CGNers have done in San Diego Co http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ Because of them, they now have a Dem front runner contender who is pro-CCW and has on their platform that they'll issue CCWs for Self-Defense as Good Cause. Sheriff Gore, the Repub incumbent, is being pressured to liberalize his CCW policy if he wants another term in office.

Go and do likewise!

Last edited by Paladin; 10-01-2017 at 8:34 AM..
Old 10-01-2017, 8:07 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Rather than just posting on CGN (where you won't "convert" any voters to demand CCWs -- we already agree with that), why not go to the GOP meeting and persuade more voters to make CCWs the requirement for their support (time, money and effort supporting sheriff's candidates campaigns), and votes?

I'd guess most CAians -- and even most CA gun owners -- still don't even know they could get CCWs if their elected sheriff lets them. Don't treat them as enemies, but as uninformed/misinformed friends.
If I acknowledge these faux candidates with a requirement for office, I'm legitimizing their candidatcy. This isn't a real election, I can't be treated as one.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If I acknowledge these faux candidates with a requirement for office, I'm legitimizing their candidatcy. This isn't a real election, I can't be treated as one.
You forfeit the fight. "No CCW for you!"

Happy now?
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You forfeit the fight. "No CCW for you!"

Happy now?
I won't fight because I can't win. There's no voter ID laws and the number one issue for this election is ignoring imigration laws.

Old 10-01-2017, 1:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I won't fight because I can't win. There's no voter ID laws and the number one issue for this election is ignoring imigration laws.
Then why do you even bother monitoring this thread??? Why do you even bother posting??? Sonoma Co is a lost cause: spend your time doing something productive, like drinking....

Be sure to tell San Diego Co Gun Owners PAC trying to get a pro-CCW sheriff is a lost cause. They don't realize that because top Dem sheriff candidate is pro-Shall Issue for CCWs. Sure, he's also pro-illegal aliens (and "diversity"), but since the federal government controls the borders and border control, they're focusing on what a sheriff can do for them: issue CCWs for "self-defense" as Good Cause.

But, that requires actually fighting/work, not posting....

And since you "won't fight", I won't bother replying to you again. I don't want to waste my valuable time and effort on those not willing to fight for CCWs. You are now on my Ignore List. For the peace of CalGuns, I encourage you to do the same with me.

Last edited by Paladin; 10-13-2017 at 3:44 PM..
Old 10-01-2017, 1:48 PM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

Freitas was pro issue for his election. What's that gotten us? Two weeks where he was actually issuing and none of that was part of an election promise. The way to win is to run our own candidate.

Old 10-13-2017, 3:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Is this still on or has it been rescheduled due to the devastating fires?
Old 10-21-2017, 8:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
Is this still on or has it been rescheduled due to the devastating fires?
bump
Old 10-21-2017, 9:27 AM

It has been rescheduled.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBest View Post
It has been rescheduled.
Any idea for when?

IIRC, the cutoff date for sheriffs candidates applying to be on the ballot is the end of January. The election is early June. Runoff, if necessary, is early Nov.
Old 12-03-2017, 9:59 AM

I remember reading an email a month ago that it was TBD due to the fires.
Old 12-06-2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Any idea for when?

IIRC, the cutoff date for sheriffs candidates applying to be on the ballot is the end of January. The election is early June. Runoff, if necessary, is early Nov.
Message just sent out said:

"Our next speaker series will take place on Wednesday, January 31st. That event will be our sheriff candidate forum. Four people are running for the position of Sonoma County Sheriff. This forum was originally scheduled for October but was cancelled because of the fires. Come and join us to meet the candidates and hear what they have to say."
Old 12-06-2017, 5:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

"Our next speaker series will take place on Wednesday, January 31st. That event will be our sheriff candidate forum. Four people are running for the position of Sonoma County Sheriff. This forum was originally scheduled for October but was cancelled because of the fires. Come and join us to meet the candidates and hear what they have to say."
Best to prepare you question/s ahead of time. Make sure to phrase them such that the candidates can't slip off of the hook. ("I can't go Shall Issue, that's against the law." "The law requires me to ask for Good Cause." "The courts have upheld CA's May Issue scheme.")

Last edited by Paladin; 12-27-2017 at 8:47 PM..
Old 12-27-2017, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Best to prepare you question/s ahead of time. Make sure to phrase them such that the candidates can't slip off of the hook. ("I can't go Shall Issue, that's against the law." "The law requires me to ask for Good Cause." "The courts have upheld CA's May Issue scheme.")
Bump.

Just over a month until the 4 Sonoma County sheriff candidates will speak and have a Q&A period. As the Boy Scouts teach: "Be Prepared!"

Be sure to also make sure the folks in "707 Banter" in the Off Topic forum know about this ASAP and make plans to be there.

I want you folks to be able to get CA CCWs and to make Sonoma County "yellow" or, much better, "light green" in the map below after your new sheriff takes office in Jan 2019.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-27-2017 at 9:43 PM..
Old 12-27-2017, 10:00 PM

At this point, all 4 remaining candidates are staunchly anti-CCW. Olivares, Essick, Mutz, and Basurto are left.
Old 12-28-2017, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
At this point, all 4 remaining candidates are staunchly anti-CCW. Olivares, Essick, Mutz, and Basurto are left.
Well, best not to

Best just to act like a professional negotiator: find out why each individual is anti CCW, show them where what they fear, why they're against CCWs is mistaken, and why they should be pro. Best way to do that is by being a representative of a county PAC that has several hundred members who are law-abiding voters and focused on this one issue.

The facts/data are either on our side or inconclusive. In the 30+ years since CCW reform stated nationwide, NOT ONE state has gone from less restrictive to more restrictive issuance. Every year every state has that choice, yet NONE of them have taken it. NONE of their CLEO orgs are pushing for it. That speaks volumes.

Look at the CA CCW GC map I've posted: even within CA, more and more counties & cities are issuing and again, NONE of them are switching from less restrictive to more restrictive. Sonoma Co is almost surrounded by counties that readily issue: Mendo, Lake, and Solano. Even Napa, when you look at its numbers, issues at 2x the rate of Solano Co, so it isn't truly "anti-CCW." These sheriff candidates need to justify their anti positions just like we need to have facts/data and reasons to support our pro-CCW position. I doubt they do.

I'm sure a LOT of Sonoma residents, when they had to quickly flee with their valuables stuffed in their vehicles, would have LOVED to be able to CCW to protect their vulnerable valuables and themselves. That's a possible argument to use to get Sonoma folks to join the cause and a local organization. Just look to San Diego county and the San Diego County Gun Owners PAC for inspiration (and advice): they've gotten Sheriff Gore to say he'll issue more CCWs!

While Gore will probably only take SD from light red to yellow on the map, that is an improvement and maybe, once he's comfortable with that for a few years, he or his successor will be comfortable enough to go to light green. A small, but dedicated and focused group of activist can make real change happen.
See: http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/
http://sandiegocountygunowners.com/ccw/
and http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=295

Plus, you can look into getting your city PD's to issue CCWs. fjold, a former CGN member in Santa Barbara county (dark red, worse than Sonoma Co), spent 4 years to get his city PD to start issuing CCWs and got his!

But change won't happen without the Sonoma Co folk stepping up and making it happen.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-28-2017 at 7:57 AM..
Old 12-28-2017, 7:43 AM
Let it all fail
CGN Contributor

You can't go after the leaders. You must go after the people.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg communist_propaganda_isto_ridicule_theodore_dalymple.jpg (75.6 KB, 233 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 1:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You Sonoma folk have got to tell the sheriff candidates that you were extremely vulnerable when you had to suddenly flee in your vehicles with all of your most valuable possessions. In such situations, living in temporary quarters or hotels/motels, having a CCW so that you could defend yourselves & your family from those who would steal your property would have been invaluable.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2018 at 6:13 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Almost any Sonoma County resident can apply for a concealed carry license with the Sheriff’s Office or their local jurisdiction.

All that’s required is to complete an application, take no more than 16 hours of class from a law enforcement-approved instructor, show “good cause” for needing the license, have three references to support your “good moral character,” pass criminal background and psychological checks, and, depending on the jurisdiction, schedule an in-person interview. And there are fees at virtually every step.

But once that is done there’s no guarantee a conceal carry license will be issued: Sonoma County law enforcement has a strict interpretation of the “good cause” requirement set by the state of California.

“Being able to meet the basic qualifications is just the beginning,” said Sebastopol Police Chief James Conner. “While good cause can mean different things in different circumstances, bare fear of being victimized isn’t good cause to have a concealed carry weapon.”

<snip>

The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office received 213 applications for concealed carry licenses from Jan. 1, 2016 to Nov. 14, 2017, and approved 132, about 62 percent.

Those numbers include concealed carry licenses given to judges, and federal and local law enforcement.

In Santa Rosa there are only four active concealed carry permits, said Sgt. Josh Ludtke. In 2017, three permits were requested but only one was granted.

The Sheriff’s Office handles concealed carry applications from unincorporated county areas Cloverdale, Cotati, Healdsburg, Sonoma and Windsor.

Petaluma, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sebastopol police departments issue their own licenses following countywide standards approved by the Sonoma County Law Enforcement Chief Association.

“If I were in a rural county I would be more inclined to issue (concealed carry licenses),” said Santa Rosa Police Chief Hank Schreeder, noting long response times by law enforcement could be considered good cause. “But in an urban area like Santa Rosa our response time is less than 5 minutes.”
More at:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/78...chased?sba=AAS

The article makes it sound like Sonoma Co IAs require you complete the training course BEFORE they'll decide whether you have sufficient GC or not. If so, that violates CA state law. If they are doing that, someone should contact the Sonoma Co Grand Jury to have them look into the application process to ensure all relevant laws are being obeyed.... http://sonoma.courts.ca.gov/info/adm...ion/grand-jury

See also: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=20

Last edited by Paladin; 01-15-2018 at 3:17 PM..
Old 01-15-2018, 8:53 AM

Quote:
More at:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/78...chased?sba=AAS

The article makes it sound like Sonoma Co IAs require you complete the training course BEFORE they'll decide whether you have sufficient GC or not. If so, that violates CA state law. If they are doing that, someone should contact the Sonoma Co Grand Jury to have them look into the application process to ensure all relevant laws are being obeyed.... http://sonoma.courts.ca.gov/info/adm...ion/grand-jury

See also: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=20
That's not the case. They'll deny before requiring any training course.
Old 01-15-2018, 9:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estrom View Post
That's not the case. They'll deny before requiring any training course.
Thanks. That's what I figured. The reporter just doesn't realize the implications and importance of the order of the things he listed.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-11-2018 at 1:13 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

How'd it go? Did CCWs come up? If so, what did each candidate say about them?
Old 02-11-2018, 8:40 AM

I did not go as it cost $20.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I did not go as it cost $20.
Was it reported upon by local media?

Did you hear from others how it went? Anything re. CCWs?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:55 AM

Nope, not reported in any local paper.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:17 PM

Should be recorded somewhere. Doesn't seem right to charge money to hear candidates speak.

I got out, wishing you all the best of luck from Kansas.
Old 02-12-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
How'd it go? Did CCWs come up? If so, what did each candidate say about them?
All three candidates participated. I was not able to go as I have moved out of state, but I spoke with two friends that attended and they both said Mark Essick is the clear choice. He stated that if elected he would make Sonoma County a "shall issue" county. Now I know that talk is cheap especially with politicians, but if the others don't even talk pro carry then the choice seems easy.
Old 02-12-2018, 7:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
All three candidates participated. I was not able to go as I have moved out of state, but I spoke with two friends that attended and they both said Mark Essick is the clear choice. He stated that if elected he would make Sonoma County a "shall issue" county. Now I know that talk is cheap especially with politicians, but if the others don't even talk pro carry then the choice seems easy.
Well, I hope your friends organize to help push Mark Essick over the top! They can easily start a Pro CCW Sonoma County group using FaceBook.

Be sure to post this info in the Off Topic forum's "707 Banter" thread. You may get members and/or leaders for your friends' group there.

Their future is in their own hands. If they want CCWs in CA, they have to be willing to fight for them.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-12-2018 at 7:27 PM..
Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM

I was there and I agree with this:
Quote:
Mark Essick is the clear choice.
Thankfully, it seems that most of the current Sheriff force are supporting Essick.
Hopefully he said what he believed (regarding supporting shall issue) and didn't change his message for the crowd. The other two are definitely on the wrong side with this and other issues.

Someone did videotape the forum. I haven't heard yet if it's available anywhere.

Unfortunately, we have office rent to pay, and these fundraising meetings are one way we pay our bills.