Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-24-2012, 4:57 PM

shot mine 795 for about 500, not a single problem
Old 10-25-2012, 4:17 AM

Mine is back at the factory with a sight problem, i havent shot it yet. In this case they sent me a mailing label and it takes 4-6 weeks to get it back and they were nice enough.

My new 336W had to be sent back too but they refused a mailing label and it cost $21 at UPS.

1-800-544-8892, Mon.-Fri. 9:00 AM-5 PM EST. Start there.
Old 10-25-2012, 1:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesV View Post
Mine is back at the factory with a sight problem, i havent shot it yet. In this case they sent me a mailing label and it takes 4-6 weeks to get it back and they were nice enough.

My new 336W had to be sent back too but they refused a mailing label and it cost $21 at UPS.

1-800-544-8892, Mon.-Fri. 9:00 AM-5 PM EST. Start there.
Yup. I have nothing against existing marlins, but I will never even consider buying a new one unless they change owners again. Until then, I frankly hope they go bankrupt so that the designs can be bought by a competent manufacture.
Old 10-25-2012, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
Tada. My .22LR ACR. lol

Still need to drill out a hole to create an extension for the safety and mag/bolt release

Then its off to the range!
i'm a HUGE fan of your builds, defcon! any chance of you putting together a couple of "how-to" galleries?
Old 10-25-2012, 2:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
i'm a HUGE fan of your builds, defcon! any chance of you putting together a couple of "how-to" galleries?
ive been doing videos explaining what i did in retrospect.

ill be doing more videos of take downs and resassembly so you guys can see the internals.

i cant do play by play because most of the builds ive done, havent been done before. so i couldnt really record or take pictures at the time because it was mainly trial and error.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
Yup. I have nothing against existing marlins, but I will never even consider buying a new one unless they change owners again. Until then, I frankly hope they go bankrupt so that the designs can be bought by a competent manufacture.
I know its easy to think that way, i cant blame you. Im sorta 50-50.

I talked to a contact at Remington and though the same story is being told everywhere, he put it this way. When Marlin sold, the workers were given the choice of joining Remington or quitting. The older artisans already close to retirement chose to quit, leaving the newest and most inexperienced to move to Remington where they suddenly were inundated with orders for guns they didnt know very well how to make, notably lever-actions. Remington then invested heavily in training and updating the 196 year old factory and everything is still in flux as hand-made weapons give way to rapid CNC manufacturing. This year Remington will build and sell 2 million guns, a record. In all these curcumstances how can flawless weapons be made?

I believe Remington when they say they dont want to make bad guns and some may remember Remington halted production of lever-actions instead of selling bad ones. But i pity Marlin, not Remington who never made highline guns. My complaint is why they would buy a company whose guns they couldnt duplicate?

Thats a bad move. But, so why? Because it became politics, not about gunmaking at all. George Soros doesnt care about making good guns, he only cares about confiscation. I believe the purchases of Remington and Marlin are only to eventually close them (after a few billion bucks are stuffed in said pockets). With good gunmaking on the decline, what with fast-produced faulty plastic-metal guns, and the threat of confiscation rising, we will likely see the end of guns rather than good ones ever again. There will be no savior company coming along.

Bottom line? Dont worry about quality, buy what you like and enjoy while you can. Its all most likely going to be a memory anyway.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Whoops wrong planet..

Last edited by psygho; 11-23-2012 at 1:22 PM..
Old 12-01-2012, 2:19 PM

I think I've put over a thousand rounds through my Marlin 795 and not a single problem. I do clean it regularly though. I've used bulk Winchester(black box), Federal, Remington, CCI and this ammo made in Mexico (seemed sub sonic) given to us at the range once and no problem.
Old 12-01-2012, 2:28 PM

Does anyone have experience drifting the rear sight? I gave mine a few good hits from the right (it needs to go left), but it won't budge. I tried soaking it in Rem Oil and also moving it from left to right in an attempt to get it unstuck. No luck.

I am using a screw covered by a spent case and a regular hammer. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 2:28 PM

Does anyone have experience drifting the rear sight? I gave mine a few good hits from the right (it needs to go left), but it won't budge. I tried soaking it in Rem Oil and also moving it from left to right in an attempt to get it unstuck. No luck.

I am using a screw covered by a spent case and a regular hammer. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2012, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

From the new 795 Mega Thread

Quote:
Sights:

Note: To remove the rear factory sight
1 Lift up the sight
2 Pull the sight ladder out from the middle toward the front
3 With a small wood or plastic dowel drift the rear sights dove tail out. Left to Right
Make sure you do steps 1 and 2 first so the sight isn't fighting your. The Dovetail has a slight tapper to it. It is tighter on the left side and explains why you are having a hard time.

What I do is fully strip the upper, bolt and handle.

Then I sit on a carpeted floor indian style. With my foot or knee I try to hold down the receiver. I then use a dowel to direct the motion of the hit. (Personally I use my county comm kubaton http://www.countycomm.com/kubo.html it works reaaally good!)

You may want to take the rear sight off all the way to the right and then put it back on. The momentum might help it move. This is what I do when I can't get it to budge. You may even have to use a jewelers file just a tiny bit. TINY! there is no adding material back! Just touching up a bur or groove.

BTW you might want to order the Factory Upgrade Rear Adjustable Sight and just replace the one you have. Its a good upgrade for 10 bucks!

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/890180.htm

Last edited by Chaos47; 12-01-2012 at 4:07 PM..
Old 12-02-2012, 3:41 PM

Thanks Chaos, that worked!

I'll probably save me the $10 and apply it towards the highly lauded Tech-Sights later on.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Calguns Addict

No Problem!
Glad it worked for you!
Old 12-03-2012, 7:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

795 cycles properly now after fixing a bent mag release

very happy camper now.

.22LR ACR using Marlin 795 FULL
Old 12-03-2012, 12:50 PM

How did you discover it had a bent mag release?
Old 12-03-2012, 1:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
How did you discover it had a bent mag release?
because i bent it by accident when i was reassembling the action. caused major FTF. essentially the 795 was performing like a bolt action. had to charge it every shot.

talked to chaos and recommended i bend it back or just buy a replacement. bought the replacement and it cycles bulk ammo 100% now
Old 12-03-2012, 1:32 PM

Ah, ok. I asked because i was imagining the problem in reverse--
"Hmm...the gun wont cycle.....ah i know why, it has a bent mag release!" So if it happened to me i was wondering how a person could go straight to that conclusion.

Well this is exactly why i fear the majority of internal mods. You can change one thing, polish too much, one little thing becomes crooked, just one tiny thing different and suddenly the whole gun doesnt work and then its difficult to trace and fix the exact problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Ah, ok. I asked because i was imagining the problem in reverse--
"Hmm...the gun wont cycle.....ah i know why, it has a bent mag release!" So if it happened to me i was wondering how a person could go straight to that conclusion.

Well this is exactly why i fear the majority of internal mods. You can change one thing, polish too much, one little thing becomes crooked, just one tiny thing different and suddenly the whole gun doesnt work and then its difficult to trace and fix the exact problem.
im having that same issue right now with my Marlin 60. i disassembled it and i think something is misaligned or i accidently bent something because the hammer wont release after pressing the trigger. it was firing before and now i have to do more troubleshooting.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
im having that same issue right now with my Marlin 60. i disassembled it and i think something is misaligned or i accidently bent something because the hammer wont release after pressing the trigger. it was firing before and now i have to do more troubleshooting.
Is it a newer one (Post-Remington I believe) with the push-button lock behind the trigger? I know I had trouble installing the DIP trigger/triggerguard because of that lock and its fitment and alignment. Once I got everything realigned and set straight, trigger worked no problem.
REDACTED
Old 12-04-2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Ok....i havent been able to ever shoot my 795 because its spent all of its life in the factory repair shop. But my 60, it was so great right out of the box i refused to touch it for anything. Im shooting the living daylights out of this gun with no issues and im not modding anything.

Someone said these guns are cheap enough to be tinkering, kitchen table guns and i agree with that when at least the gun is in the hands of someone who enjoys the tinkering and knows how to backtrack their steps to get out of messes they voluntariliy created. Because of the serious safety issues involved Im not one of them, i just want to leave alone a clean reliable gun and enjoy the crap out of it.

To encourage you, look how many dumb people here got in huge messes and eventually figured it out and then became the experts everyone else went to for advice. Mess-making breeds knowledge. I would say take your 60 to a gunsmith but thats the non-tinkerer talking. Now you can stick with it yourself and become the expert others will go to later.
Old 12-04-2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Ok....i havent been able to ever shoot my 795 because its spent all of its life in the factory repair shop. But my 60, it was so great right out of the box i refused to touch it for anything. Im shooting the living daylights out of this gun with no issues and im not modding anything.

Someone said these guns are cheap enough to be tinkering, kitchen table guns and i agree with that when at least the gun is in the hands of someone who enjoys the tinkering and knows how to backtrack their steps to get out of messes they voluntariliy created. Because of the serious safety issues involved Im not one of them, i just want to leave alone a clean reliable gun and enjoy the crap out of it.

To encourage you, look how many dumb people here got in huge messes and eventually figured it out and then became the experts everyone else went to for advice. Mess-making breeds knowledge. I would say take your 60 to a gunsmith but thats the non-tinkerer talking. Now you can stick with it yourself and become the expert others will go to later.
As long as you feel safe and comfortable, I second the bolded part; if not, find a gunsmith or CGer that will walk you through it. I learned a lot from this thread about the Marlin .22s (you can probably find some of my dumb questions further back in the thread, especially when putting on the new stock and DIP setup ). Biggest thing, is to be safe, obviously.
REDACTED
Old 12-04-2012, 3:55 AM

Right! Im a card-carrying natural born tinkerer but not with guns. Im telling you....i swear my luck.... im going to touch one wrong thing inside and that bullet will come out the barrel, take off somewhere and swing around in a huge circle and blow my butt clean off! I go to gunsmiths...at least i have someone else to blame when said butt goes missing.

Last edited by CharlesV; 12-04-2012 at 3:58 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Default Marlin 795 $

Been looking online for Marlin 795 prices in San Diego County, without much luck. Anyone know what the price range is and what is best store.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inappropriate View Post
Been looking online for Marlin 795 prices in San Diego County, without much luck. Anyone know what the price range is and what is best store.
Usually they'll run about $150-180 in my are; I'd say try Big5, they seem to have the best prices for them and put them on sale fairly regularly.
REDACTED
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
You missed Dick's sporting black Friday sale, they had them for 129. Turners had them for 149 which is the normal price at Dick's plus they don't charge the $5 handling fee. Last time I saw them on sale at big 5 they were 159.
Old 12-09-2012, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Turners has them on sale for 150. And that is a decent price for 2012..

While it might be a bit far from you they have a San Marcos location...
Old 12-09-2012, 2:18 PM

Wow,
Thanks. I went by Dick's sporting goods and they have em in for $149.
Old 12-09-2012, 4:07 PM

I thought Dicks didnt sells guns in SoCal, has it changed?
Old 12-11-2012, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Turners has them on sale for 150. And that is a decent price for 2012..

While it might be a bit far from you they have a San Marcos location...
$150 new is about as good as it gets and I don't think any "rebate" offers are coming up this year or any time soon.
Old 12-11-2012, 6:07 PM

Not only is it as good as it gets but dont forget the prices have been steadily rising too. Plenty of people on YT report paying $99 only recently. I'll guess the popularity of the 795 and 60 will soon push up to or more than 10/22. $150 isnt a fire sale bargain but its an A+ value.

Last edited by CharlesV; 12-11-2012 at 6:09 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I thought Dicks didnt sells guns in SoCal, has it changed?
I hope it has!
Old 12-14-2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Not only is it as good as it gets but dont forget the prices have been steadily rising too. Plenty of people on YT report paying $99 only recently. I'll guess the popularity of the 795 and 60 will soon push up to or more than 10/22. $150 isnt a fire sale bargain but its an A+ value.
Where are the YT people from? I imagine in a free state it doesn't have the CA-markup and is priced like any other .22 plinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicknickns View Post
I hope it has!
I saw them at the Dick's in Fresno; I know it's not SoCal, but would a large chain really cut off a certain area from selling firearms?
REDACTED
Old 12-14-2012, 3:23 AM

Ha...yeah not just a free state but a cheap state too. I guess the MFRs think californians are rich so they adjust. Speaking of that, has anyone seen a map of US showing red, yellow and green states to depict the level of freedom across the country?

I guess Dicks can pick and choose locations, Walmart did. WHY, i dont know.
Old 12-14-2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Ha...yeah not just a free state but a cheap state too. I guess the MFRs think californians are rich so they adjust. Speaking of that, has anyone seen a map of US showing red, yellow and green states to depict the level of freedom across the country?

I guess Dicks can pick and choose locations, Walmart did. WHY, i dont know.
True, if Wally world pulls that crap, I suppose a smaller chain can too... As far as the map, one member has it as their signature; it's a GIF and shows the progression from '86 or '88 until 2010 I believe. It's the CCW one I believe, if we're talking about the same one.
REDACTED
Old 12-14-2012, 2:45 PM

I didnt know there was such a map, if not i wanted to create one. What im after is a national pictorial to show the freest, medium and least freest states in terms of overall gun laws. Maybe we could work on it together or start a thread, Build Our Map and let everyone contribute.

Youtube people seldom say where they are from, but i see cheaper weapons and also all sorts of odd and desirable weapons, equipment and accessories totally unknown in CA. I always wonder where the h--- is this? Its like another planet. But then too, people build illegal stuff and its just torturous eye candy.
Old 12-14-2012, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

There's one at the Brady's site.

Single fin mentality
Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM

Is that so! Ok i'll see what i can find....
Old 12-15-2012, 1:55 AM
Veteran Member

On sale at Big 5 for $169.
Old 12-28-2012, 8:15 PM

Okay, so I was able to adjust the rear sight on my 795 but it appears it needs very aggressive settings for a 15 yard zero. See attached.

Is my gun a lemon? I was planning to throw on tech-sights but since the rear sight needs to be that far to the left, I'm not sure if I can get it to zero. Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4688.jpg (95.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4689.jpg (108.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4687.jpg (95.8 KB, 60 views)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Your front sight is most likely canted to the left. There are a growing list of frequent issues with 795's and that is one of them. You most likely need a new barrel. You can get tech sights now and see if the rifle will work as is, or try sending it back to Marlin to see if they can find their butts with both hands and a map.