Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2017, 5:53 AM

Has anyone attempted volreg on a polymer 80%?
Old 03-21-2017, 8:59 AM

I did several Volregs for 80% AR's and initially DOJ sent me an email saying I must add pictures. I emailed them back and asked them to cite the regulation that required me to do so or proceed with my legally submitted attempt to register. The status remained incomplete for several months and I thought they would simply deny it. Well they ended up proceeding without the requested pictures and status now says in progress. I could have provided pictures but I can't support compliance with requirements they do not have the authority to require. I am law abiding but I will not comply with any agency that abuses it's power.
Old 03-21-2017, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKRick View Post
I did several Volregs for 80% AR's and initially DOJ sent me an email saying I must add pictures. I emailed them back and asked them to cite the regulation that required me to do so or proceed with my legally submitted attempt to register. The status remained incomplete for several months and I thought they would simply deny it. Well they ended up proceeding without the requested pictures and status now says in progress. I could have provided pictures but I can't support compliance with requirements they do not have the authority to require. I am law abiding but I will not comply with any agency that abuses it's power.
Old 03-21-2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonoJoJo View Post
So, I can't realistically keep any polymer 80% lowers I've completed in the past, is that right? There's really no good way to permanently attach a stainless steel plate for the serial as will be required. All home-brew polymer lowers have to be trashed (by which I mean surrendered to LE) in 2018?

I don't suppose CA will reimburse me for their fair market value, then?
The stainless steel plate nonsense will kick in after the law is in effect. Before that just do volreg for single shot and attach with photos. From what I have observed most likely you will get a notice it is registered.
Old 03-21-2017, 3:28 PM

Just submitted my single shot 80% polymer homemade. The engraving was done by solder iron and the SSN was stamped on a small stainless plate plastic welded on the rail. The status is in progress now. All parts including slide and barrel are new from lone wolf.

IMG_20170318_185928.jpg
IMG_20170318_190530.jpg
Old 03-21-2017, 4:27 PM

Default Registering 80% lowers as assault rifles

Hey guys new to the forum, have a couple quick questions since calling/emailing doj and atf led to nothing.

1.) Say one completed an 80% lower in 2016 but never got the gun registered, is it still possible to register the weapon in 2017 as an "AW"?

2.) What's stopping people from buying "featureless" rifles off the shelf and adding the evil features, then registering it as an assault weapon in 2017?

Thank you for the help.
Old 03-21-2017, 4:41 PM

1. The registration system does not exist yet. So it was never possible, is not possible, and will not be possible for the foreseeable future, to be compliant and register any pre-existing rifles with bullet buttons. What you likely were thinking of was "voluntary registration".
  2. Because it's stupid and illegal. Don't do it. I honestly don't know what other answer you were expecting from honest, law abiding citizens being put in a difficult situation by politicians who haven't the slightest idea about the operation or design of a firearm.
Just like many other things in life, you can easily change one aspect of a normal act and make a very stupid decision. Faking your wife's signature. Using tires past the wear bars. Selling food you cook in your home's kitchen. All are inadvisable and stupid.

The difference here is whereas those regulations are based on safety and prudence, these regulations are based on marginalization and discrimination. They are actively seeking to make your life difficult as a responsible rifle owner. Don't do their job for them by proving them right.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen One View Post
  1. The registration system does not exist yet. So it was never possible, is not possible, and will not be possible for the foreseeable future, to be compliant and register any pre-existing rifles with bullet buttons. What you likely were thinking of was "voluntary registration".
  2. Because it's stupid and illegal. Don't do it. I honestly don't know what other answer you were expecting from honest, law abiding citizens being put in a difficult situation by politicians who haven't the slightest idea about the operation or design of a firearm.
Just like many other things in life, you can easily change one aspect of a normal act and make a very stupid decision. Faking your wife's signature. Using tires past the wear bars. Selling food you cook in your home's kitchen. All are inadvisable and stupid.

The difference here is whereas those regulations are based on safety and prudence, these regulations are based on marginalization and discrimination. They are actively seeking to make your life difficult as a responsible rifle owner. Don't do their job for them by proving them right.
By no means am I considering doing anything illegal or advocating people to do so. I'm a man of the law and was just trying to figure out the possibilities.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308only View Post
Hey guys new to the forum, have a couple quick questions since calling/emailing doj and atf led to nothing.

1.) Say one completed an 80% lower in 2016 but never got the gun registered, is it still possible to register the weapon in 2017 as an "AW"?
That's allowed under California Penal code, although DOJ withdrew their first set of regulations and isn't allowing any new assault weapon registrations. I wonder if they'll do more we won't like such as waiting until the last business day of 2017 or even next year at which point they don't have the legal authority to open a registration window.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1316473

Quote:
2.) What's stopping people from buying "featureless" rifles off the shelf and adding the evil features, then registering it as an assault weapon in 2017?
PC 30600 manufacture of an assault weapon, punishable with a maximum of 8 years in prison like rape without aggravating circumstances like a minor victim.

The DROS record indicates the gun was not sold before January 1, 2017, is therefore not grandfathered under PC 30680 and PC 30900(b), and cannot be registered as an assault weapon.

DOJ's withdrawn regulations called for four photographs including the serial number and identifying marks, which would mean people attempting to register such guns would be providing the evidence to convict them of that felony, plus PC 30605 possession which is a wobbler that can also be prosecuted as a felony.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-21-2017 at 6:21 PM..
Old 03-21-2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
That's allowed under California Penal code, although DOJ withdrew their first set of regulations and isn't allowing any new assault weapon registrations. I wonder if they'll do something stupid like waiting until the last business day of 2017 or even next year at which point they don't have the legal authority to open a registration window.

PC 30600 manufacture of an assault weapon, punishable with a maximum of 8 years in prison like rape without aggravating circumstances like a minor victim.

The DROS record indicates the gun was not sold before January 1, 2017, is therefore not grandfathered under PC 30680 and PC 30900(b), and cannot be registered as an assault weapon.

DOJ's withdrawn regulations called for four photographs including the serial number and identifying marks, which would mean people attempting to register such guns would be providing the evidence to convict them of that felony, plus PC 30600 possession which is a wobbler that can also be prosecuted as a felony.
Thanks very informative. So since doj withdrew their regulations there is no way to register your gun as an assault weapon yet?
Old 03-21-2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308only View Post
Thanks very informative. So since doj withdrew their regulations there is no way to register your gun as an assault weapon yet?
Right.
Old 03-21-2017, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
Right.
Guess it's the waiting game now buddy.
Old 03-21-2017, 7:25 PM

after seeing the first set of regulations why would you the same way they wanted us to register is the same way you get progressed as a criminal **** that
Old 03-22-2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc16 View Post
after seeing the first set of regulations why would you the same way they wanted us to register is the same way you get progressed as a criminal **** that
yup, or in invitation "come and get em!"