Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-19-2020, 2:50 AM

Default First Shotgun advice

Hello, new here. I'm close to getting my first shotgun and was wondering if you have any reccomendations for me? I'll tell you what I'm looking to do with it and then any feedback would be awesome. I'm looking for a 10/12 /16 gauge shotgun possibly with interchangeable barrels. I would like to do some skeet/duck shooting for recreation but also have the ability to shorten the barrel for a brush gun in grizzly country (First line of defense is being bear aware and having spray). As far as budget goes I'd look seriously at anything under $1500
Old 11-19-2020, 3:00 AM

Shotguns are like golf clubs, you can play with just one club but nobody does.

Upland I use a 20 ga sxs with 28" barrel.
Duck I used to use a 12 ga pump with a 30" barrel.
Goose I use a 12 ga semi auto with 32" barrel.
Defense I use a 20 ga pump with 18" barrel.
3 Gun competition a 20 gage semi auto with extended mag.
Skeet I'd get an over/under and the good shooters use 410.

If you had to use one gun for everything I'd get a pump in 12 ga and a couple of barrels. My family favors Remington 870's but the Mossbergs have a top mounted thumb safety that is easier for most people to use when in a hurry. (it's a gross motor skill thing)

Last edited by not-fishing; 11-19-2020 at 3:02 AM..
Old 11-19-2020, 4:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Start with mossberg or 870 with chokes 28" barrel if going for ducks as well as trap shooting , sporting clays, skeet I use a 28" barrel o/u. Get a slug barrel for hd if bear defense in mind. Get a 3" mag. can shoot light fields loads and magnum loads. Will help with non lead hunting loads.
Old 11-19-2020, 6:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Be careful OP. I thought I only needed one shotgun. I'm now up to about 11 of them.
Old 11-19-2020, 6:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daridedn View Post
. I'm looking for a 10/12 /16 gauge shotgun possibly with interchangeable barrels.
Forget about 10 or 16 gauge, those are ancient. Get a good 12ga semi auto, and be happy. A Beretta A300 is the best value out there.

I've got three of them.
Old 11-19-2020, 7:07 AM

870 Wingmaster 3" 12ga. Nothing else matters.
Old 11-19-2020, 8:25 AM

Get a 12 gauge to start, most versatile.

Option 1: pump, either an 870 or 500 series. Most economical choice, either of the options is great.

Option 2: semi auto. Benelli m2 has the shorter barrel as well, is easier to clean, but slightly pickier about ammo. Beretta a300 is gas operated so takes more cleaning and isn't at all picky but no short barrels I'm aware of. A400 is an upgrade, but still no short barrels.

Option 3: get both, and maybe a double or two. And then a 20 gauge because a 12 really tears up small birds. And ooh, a vintage side by side because that sounds fun. And wouldn't a combo gun be cool? This is the frequent choice of many of us posting.
Old 11-19-2020, 9:10 AM

How about an M2 or used m1 super 90? Get a field grip instead of pistol grip so you can use at more trap/skeet fields
Old 11-19-2020, 9:23 AM

He has $1500 to spend. Why are you pushing him to the cheapest guns on the market (870's and 500's)?

The chances of you protecting yourself against a bear in close quarters on a trail is negligible. Buying a gun for a 1 in a million event seems crazy.

Just buy a used Beretta or Browning.

The A300 is a great investment for +/- $800 out the door.
Old 11-19-2020, 9:27 AM

I'd also suggest starting with 12 gauge.

For the versatility the OP seeks, an 870 or 500 with an extra barrel works fine except for skeet. That would push the decision towards an auto for me. So, the A300 is a solid suggestion.
Old 11-19-2020, 9:42 AM

Just picked up a CZ 1012. At $600, it's a good gun for skeet, ducks, and even upland game. It comes with its own complete choke set for various applications.

With the money you save, you could add another boom stick(s) for other uses.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
He has $1500 to spend. Why are you pushing him to the cheapest guns on the market (870's and 500's)?
Because an 870 Wingmaster will do everything he wants to do, it's dead nuts reliable in any conditions, easy to clean and maintain, lots of aftermarket support, none of the issues associated with a semi. Just because he has $1500 available does not mean he needs to spend $1500 to accomplish what he wants to accomplish. I have lots of expensive guns, but the one I will NEVER sell is my 3" Wingmaster, because it will do everything.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

For a general purpose, configurable and reliable shotgun like what you're looking for, the Benelli M2 12 gauge fits your budget and requirements.

It has a lot of accessories for it and can be configured for just about anything; hunting, home defense, bear defense, 3-gun competition etc.

You can buy a lot of different barrels for it too if you want.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/benelli-m2/barrels.html

Most of the very short barrels are sold out though, most likely because a lot of Benelli M2 owners are swapping out their barrel on hunting/sporting M2 for home defense use. The 24" is pretty short still so pretty useful in the field.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

As a proponent of the 16 gauge it hurts me to say this, but, yes on 12 gauge. It's just easier to find ammo. I reload for my 16s, and it hurts every time I lose a hull. I can usually find 16 wherever I need ammo, but you have a much larger variety of 12. If you're only going to have one shotgun, make it a 3 or 3.5 inch chambered 12 gauge.

As for guns, if you're looking for a pump gun (wouldn't be my choice for skeet), I like the 870s, Ithaca 37s, and Benelli Novas and Super Novas. Of them I feel the Super Nova is best option for an all around workhorse gun. It can be fitted to you with shims and stock adjustments, it's VERY easy to disassemble for maintenance, and predominantly coated in plastic so has very little to rust. The downside is it's chunky and handles like a club compared to an 870 or Ithaca 37. A 3 inch chambered pump gun is more comfortable and handles better than a 3.5 inch chambered pump gun (the Benellis are both 3.5 inch chambered).

I'm not well versed on modern semi-autos, but I like my older A5s; though I think those are not longer applicable to your question.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Whatever you do...get some help with proper fit. You can buy any gun you want...but if it is not what fits you well...then you have a paperweight.

Many places have guns for rent (although that is limited right at this time) and there are plenty of shops with experienced folks that can assist you with shouldering as many as you can try. Having help with fit...and understanding what to look for will greatly enhance your final choice. It will also likely shorten the list of what guns you should actually buy.

Good luck OP...
Old 11-19-2020, 8:17 PM

I recently went down a similar road. I would research where you can shoot it and in what capacity in your area. I live in the Bay Area and it seems like most ranges mainly support trap and sporting clays, which mostly require a longer barrel than home defense. I don't know anything about hunting.

If you just wanna have something for home defense, but don't really intend on shooting it much, I would recommend a KSG.
Old 11-19-2020, 8:49 PM

Hunting generally involves use of longer barrels, although it's not required or anything. Most folks just find it easier.

A bit of advice I left off earlier is if possible go shoot. Rent guns, take lessons, learn what you like. It's not like you have to pay alimony if you end up not liking the first shotgun you buy, but it will save you time and cash.

I've owned pump shotguns, they were nice and I'd have no problem with them but I really preferred a double. I owned a mid quality Beretta, but it didn't fit well. Would love to find one that fit better. I own an a400 which is a great tool, but doesn't really excite me and cleaning it is definitely a chore. I have a Italian combination gun that I love but use it more as a rifle than a shotgun. And I have an old English gun with mechanical issues but I love anyways even though it's definitely a money pit. Only way I found out what I liked was by shooting them. Would have been cheaper and smarter to rent and try before buying.
Old 11-19-2020, 9:24 PM

What’s OP’s location anyway? Maybe some members can share their gear
Old 11-19-2020, 10:58 PM

I bought my first shotgun a couple of months ago. I bought a browning. I paid more than I thought I wanted to pay, but still well within what I could afford to pay.

No hunting for me, just a clay shooter. Realized that the cost of shooting clays on a regular basis will outweigh the cost of the shotgun before you know it. Might as well stretch the budget and aim a go for something a little more expensive (i.e. Looks better)

Also, don't be convinced that the turkish guns are not good guns. The feel and the resale value is higher on brownings and berettas, but so is the purchase price. They all go boom, don't they? Resale value is for those who plan on selling...
Old 11-20-2020, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
I recently went down a similar road. I would research where you can shoot it and in what capacity in your area. I live in the Bay Area and it seems like most ranges mainly support trap and sporting clays, which mostly require a longer barrel than home defense. I don't know anything about hunting.

If you just wanna have something for home defense, but don't really intend on shooting it much, I would recommend a KSG.
Great point on where to shoot. 24” barrel with field stock seems to give the most flexibility of venues, at least here in Bay Area

As an aside, I used my M2 at a multigun practice for the first time recently and it was really fun to blast down static 3” clays from 10-15yd and absolutely crush steel poppers (knock them down and up the berm) vs the plink and slow fall from using 9mm pistol

I’ll own up to a few misses on the 3” clays from 10 yard so I got my little reminder than “you can’t miss with a shotgun” is a myth and that I got to keep up the training if I want to use it for Hd (and score better in practice)
Old 11-20-2020, 1:15 PM

I'm going to stay out of the fray with regard to what brand shotgun you should buy. I just want to add to the chorus on the gauge. Get a 12 gauge. Period. 10 and 16 both have their uses, and one of them might be perfect for your use. But you will spend you life searching for ammo instead of shooting, even when there is not a panic / shortage going on. 12 gauge ammo is widely available in an incredibly wide range of loadings, some of which will probably be good enough for your intended uses. Get a 12 gauge!
Old 11-20-2020, 1:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not to be That Guy- but read a lot of threads here

When I read 10 gauge and 16 gauge.... my brain goes fuzzy

That’s like saying you want a steam powered car for a daily driver.

Both are largely obsolete cartridges. (My flame suit is on)
In 2018, there were 145 models of 12 gauges being offered for sale. That the receiver so the mossberg 500 is one model and a dozen of varieties.

In 2018, there were 5 models of 16 gauge for sale

If you want non bird Ammo- you probably need to reload it yourself as I don’t thing I have ever seen a slug or OO buck for 16 gauge. So self defense, dangerous game and hunting mammals is out of the question.

Election Virus- it’s not Covid, it’s not Rona- it’s the Election Virus!

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by hermosabeach; 11-20-2020 at 1:24 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editori...shotguns/78028

Election Virus- it’s not Covid, it’s not Rona- it’s the Election Virus!

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 11-20-2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
As an aside, I used my M2 at a multigun practice for the first time recently and it was really fun to blast down static 3” clays from 10-15yd and absolutely crush steel poppers (knock them down and up the berm) vs the plink and slow fall from using 9mm pistol
Wow! Where in the Bay Area were you able to do multigun?!?
Old 11-20-2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Start with mossberg or 870 with chokes 28" barrel if going for ducks as well as trap shooting , sporting clays, skeet I use a 28" barrel o/u. Get a slug barrel for hd if bear defense in mind. Get a 3" mag. can shoot light fields loads and magnum loads. Will help with non lead hunting loads.
This is the best advice in this thread IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
...He comes out while I'm at work to **** the wife..I shall name him Sancho.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Wow! Where in the Bay Area were you able to do multigun?!?
Richmond

You take the “safe hand gunner” class (pistol) and that lets you access the “action range”

There is multi gun practice once a month where you can go through a stage with long guns, and on Saturdays during the uspsa open practice, you can use shotgun on plate racks (10yd distance, #7.5 or #8 lead shot only)
Old 11-21-2020, 1:31 AM

Is the pistol class offered by Richmond or other instructors? Is there also a shotgun class allowing you access the action range? Thanks.

And OP buy lots of 12ga ammo birdshot to 00; also take a class if you want to use for self defense.

Last edited by czakita; 11-21-2020 at 1:45 AM..
Old 11-21-2020, 1:40 AM

dont buy new, get one from CAlguns and you gonna save tax and for used one
Old 11-21-2020, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Richmond

You take the “safe hand gunner” class (pistol) and that lets you access the “action range”

There is multi gun practice once a month where you can go through a stage with long guns, and on Saturdays during the uspsa open practice, you can use shotgun on plate racks (10yd distance, #7.5 or #8 lead shot only)
Wow, that's exciting! Thanks much for the info!
Old 11-21-2020, 6:39 PM

I was looking at shotguns too although they are hard to find.

So the question is pump or semi-auto?
Old 11-21-2020, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
So the question is pump or semi-auto?
YES!
Old 11-21-2020, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Pump or semi?

Well, if you get a semi in 3.5 inch you can send 4.5 ounces of steel shot at every duck that flies within 80 yards!
Old 11-21-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Pump or semi?

Well, if you get a semi in 3.5 inch you can send 4.5 ounces of steel shot at every duck that flies within 80 yards!
How many times?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 AM

I was thinking more for home defense.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you get an hd shotgun with short barrel trap/skeet and sporting clay ranges will not let you shoot it. Minimum barrel length requirements. That has been in effect for a long time. You might find one that will but ask first.
Old 11-22-2020, 4:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daridedn View Post
(First line of defense is being bear aware and having spray).

IF, by "spray," you mean ".375 H&H," good call.

Motor on.
Old 11-22-2020, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

Where is the OP?

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

***Mature Up***
Old 11-22-2020, 7:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey D View Post
Where is the OP?
We either scared him, started directing him too much, made him feel inferior with our collective spectacular universe of knowledge...

Or we got trolled...
Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarhuntor View Post
How many times?
That depends on 1) if you're hunting on a refuge and can only carry 25 rounds at a time and 2) how much weight you want to carry in ammo!

I'm just being a little tongue-in-cheek as I've seen a few people get semi-auto duck guns and proceed to just shoot 3 rounds at every duck that comes by simply because they can.
Old 11-22-2020, 1:11 PM
CGSSA Associate

SBE 3

GRIZ needs more than a shoty